As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Alternately I own the wireless headset and given the chance I would go back in time and slap the shit out of myself for buying it because the thing is horrific. It rarely stays connected, people can't hear anything I say when I use it and when it does pair it turns its self off randomly.

Weird. No complaints at all with mine. I even find it more comfortable than the regular ones.

ChaosHat on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    my wireless headset is really comfortable and handy but i think it cuts out a lot.

Evil Multifarious on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I find the regular ones uncomfortable as hell.

blaze_zero on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anybody is still lookiing for a stick, check out tekken 6's LE package on amazon. 80 on amazon Tekken 6 bundle

It comes with the game, the wireless stick (Hori I believe) and the artbook. What makes this a great deal? Wal mart shows tekken 6 360 being sold for $60..... not that I"m saying to buy this, return the game to wal mart and ebay the book or anything.... but its a good deal for a stick. No clue on stick quality.

Tommatt on
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »
    If anybody is still lookiing for a stick, check out tekken 6's LE package on amazon. 80 on amazon Tekken 6 bundle

It comes with the game, the wireless stick (Hori I believe) and the artbook. What makes this a great deal? Wal mart shows tekken 6 360 being sold for $60..... not that I"m saying to buy this, return the game to wal mart and ebay the book or anything.... but its a good deal for a stick. No clue on stick quality.

Stick is stock Hori parts, so very YMMV in how effective it feels from person to person. If I remember right a lot of people complain it eats batteries something fierce. Wireless signal doesn't seem to have much if any delay though as the one positive, again if I'm remembering right.

I know MarkMan did a good initial impression write up on it that looked promising but I think a lot of people who got that bundle hated the stick, reviews ran a wide spectrum from agreeing with him to wanting to smash it with a hammer in frustration. I'd treat it as very YMMV on overall performance.

Column on
    edited April 2010
    Column wrote: »

Stick is stock Hori parts, so very YMMV in how effective it feels from person to person. If I remember right a lot of people complain it eats batteries something fierce. Wireless signal doesn't seem to have much if any delay though as the one positive, again if I'm remembering right.

I know MarkMan did a good initial impression write up on it that looked promising but I think a lot of people who got that bundle hated the stick, reviews ran a wide spectrum from agreeing with him to wanting to smash it with a hammer in frustration. I'd treat it as very YMMV on overall performance.

Yeah I don't know much about the stick. I do know, having not played with it yet, that I like the size and shape more than the SF4 SE stick. More room to rest your hand on, much like I"m guessing on the TE. I plan on swapping out the parts for this, not sure if thats more of a pain on these or not either. But it could possibly be a $20 stick, although more work involved that just buying the $35 SE.

Tommatt on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah I don't know much about the stick. I do know, having not played with it yet, that I like the size and shape more than the SF4 SE stick. More room to rest your hand on, much like I"m guessing on the TE. I plan on swapping out the parts for this, not sure if thats more of a pain on these or not either. But it could possibly be a $20 stick, although more work involved that just buying the $35 SE.

Non-HRAP Hori sticks tend to be annoying as hell to mod, though.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited April 2010

Non-HRAP Hori sticks tend to be annoying as hell to mod, though.

Yeah, doing some reading, It sounds like a pain to mod. I might return the whole thing, I don't know. I could probably do all the work to it at work, soldering is cake, but not sure its actually worth it. Sounds like you have to dremel everything.

Tommatt on
  • irnirn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I have this and the MvC2 stick... I prefer the MvC2 stick but this one does the job... no complaints so far, I've been using it for about 2 months and still on the same batteries it came with.

Edit: some more info... I bought it on amazon with T6 and the book... my gf loves T6 so it so it was a no brainer purchase... the stick feels good but definitely cheap... don't know how long it will last... I can execute pretty much everything with this and it is 100% better than using the xbox controller... worth it if you got money to burn and plan to use it as a 2nd player controller when you buy the stick you want.

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I'll probably end up keeping it honestly as a second stick, and the wireless could be nice. Plus its nice to have a project to work on.

Been playing about a half hour a night of HDR to get used to the stick. I know I should be using shotos as thats what I'm having trouble with now, I was better on the pad although I'm almost about even now, but man am I loving vega! I've always wanted to play him but with the pad, charge characters were always a pain. I try to random but I find myself picking vega cause hes so much fun when you can pull his moves off! ANd nobody seems to ever expect his super coming. On the stick, it really is easy to pull off!

Tommatt on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good MvC2 games tonight.

I tried really hard to not repeat any characters during the 10 wins or so I had before the lobby asploded.

Still though, fun to just play with guys and not have to worry about whiffing my Sakura infinite on Sentinel and getting nigh-perfected when Tron and Ken aren't up to the task.

Taramoor on
    edited April 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Good MvC2 games tonight.

I tried really hard to not repeat any characters during the 10 wins or so I had before the lobby asploded.

Still though, fun to just play with guys and not have to worry about whiffing my Sakura infinite on Sentinel and getting nigh-perfected when Tron and Ken aren't up to the task.

I own MvC2 and the worst part about it is people online take it so seriously. I pick 3 chars to use 3 chars, and just enjoy the flashy effects. I love the game because of its roster, so many characters...... I just want to have fun and pick gief, hulk, and juggernaut (Granted a pretty good assist) Or Gambit (favorite xman) Rogue (If you have Gambit mandatory), random.

Every match online is a magneto storm/Sentinal (assist kings evidently. All I ever see is tornadoes and rodkets)

Tommatt on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Storm and Sentinel are also top-tier on point, not just on assist. It's just that those are the three out of the top four characters that go best together. Nobody usually puts Cable into that because he's not as mobile as the others, and he uses meter that Magneto, Storm and Sentinel have easier ways of unloading DHCs on people. AHVB is fine, but it only really combos into itself; you can't DHC into it without getting a ground HVB and that's a lame super grounded. But the main weakness of that team is no anti-air assist, which is why usually you'll see Magneto come in with Psylocke or Cyclops instead.

Just played through HDR on Medium with a pad. It took two hours, a full hour of that just fighting Bison. Really dislike playing with a pad. Especially on a difficulty where it doesn't give me enough time to line up the charge super properly.

SabreMau on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good games as always, Solsovly. I despise random so much as I have to adjust while my tendencies get analyzed every fighter, but damn it's nice to go against so many different characters and HAVE to adapt.

Love / Hate kind of thing :).

Hopefully, it was fun for you too. That double KO into the draw game was LOL.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think Solsovly plays random vs most of us here for the sake of our comparatively feeble skill levels. :)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good games last night T-Bolt. I have to get used to the fact that you just like to walk up to me as boxer and just spam the shit out of c.LP while I'm in the corner. Probably got dizzied like 4 times just trying to get out of that situation. Wish my connection was a little better, seems like whenever someone is surfing the net in my house while I'm playing it just takes a huge dump on me. It wasn't like that before. :(

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
    edited April 2010
    I think Solsovly plays random vs most of us here for the sake of our comparatively feeble skill levels. :)

Yes, it's obvious he enjoys it :). I was glad when we got the "finale" and he went primarily Ryu / Akuma. Always a fun fight.

Bizazedo on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Random is the best way to play player matches...unless you keep getting Viper. I hate joining matches and all the other guy does is play his main 7-8 times in a row.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
    edited April 2010
    Well random is fine so long as people are ok with random, some people feel random is like slighting them and not playing the game as it is intended.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I nearly always play Sakura in online SF4 games, though. Player match, ranked match, championship match, etc. Maybe I'll try getting into the Random thing in Super, but for the few months I was playing SF4 it took that much time just to get her to a semi-competitive level.

SabreMau on
    edited April 2010
    Well random is fine so long as people are ok with random, some people feel random is like slighting them and not playing the game as it is intended.

Pretty much. I'm okay with Solsovly using it because he seems to know EVERYONE really well. It was quite impressive.

Normally, though, people don't, and it sucks. I want to fight their best and I try to do the same for them.

Bizazedo on
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll random if they random. I hate assholes that do player matches and sit on random and then I select random, and then they pop over to their main. But it is karmic retribution when random pulls me Chun-Li. :)

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
    edited April 2010
    I would love a characters I like custom random. Because Sim Fei or Gen on random is just sad. How cool would it be if you could make a custom random with your 5 choices(so you can't do lawl look ryu is my custom random)?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think some of my favorite player matches are when the other guy chooses random. If they go random, I always go random.

One time we both got Vega and he threw off his claw right at the start of each round. I did the same, and we both fought trying to avoid picking up our claws. It was hilarious :lol:

House of Paincakes on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll usually start out playing my best, but I get a little bored of the same 1-2 characters for too many matches in a row and end up going random for fun.

I usually just try to apply moves I've seen people use if I end up with someone I don't know.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited April 2010
    Sometimes its fun not even playing for the win. Its not like it cost a dollar a play on console.

Best time to try new tactics.
    I'll usually start out playing my best, but I get a little bored of the same 1-2 characters for too many matches in a row and end up going random for fun.

I usually just try to apply moves I've seen people use if I end up with someone I don't know.

I play the same way.

After a game or two I only play my main if a) the other guy is really good b) i want/feel the need for practice

Valiantheart on
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would love a characters I like custom random. Because Sim Fei or Gen on random is just sad. How cool would it be if you could make a custom random with your 5 choices(so you can't do lawl look ryu is my custom random)?

You could always just randomly pick one of those 5. Roll a die if you think it's not random enough. Plus, do you really care about what some random guy on XBL thinks of your character selection?

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited April 2010
    I dislike random for the most part. I didn't spend all this time getting good at Chun just to random! If I feel like playing a different character, I'll pick Ken, but the gulf in skill between my Chun and Ken is huuuuuge. Ken to everyone else is similarly huge, but not as much. I'd say the scale is exponential.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I dislike random for the most part. I didn't spend all this time getting good at Chun just to random! If I feel like playing a different character, I'll pick Ken, but the gulf in skill between my Chun and Ken is huuuuuge. Ken to everyone else is similarly huge, but not as much. I'd say the scale is exponential.

Ok hypothetically:

Lets say you meet a guy in a random match who rolls your main up like a dirty carpet and beats you for 3 straight matches.

After that he decides to random. While hes still playing to win hes being more casual now less jugular slicing tactics and lighter pressure.

Do you still keep doggedly to your main?

Valiantheart on
    edited April 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Ok hypothetically:

Lets say you meet a guy in a random match who rolls your main up like a dirty carpet and beats you for 3 straight matches.

After that he decides to random. While hes still playing to win hes being more casual now less jugular slicing tactics and lighter pressure.

I dunno. That never happens since I just arcade fight request championship mode.

How good is his randoming? Is it terrible? I'll play Ken. If it's good, I'll stick with Chun.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2010

Ok hypothetically:

Yes. I shred the randoms til he gives me another shot at his main, because if someone beats me, that means they're good, and I wish to get better.

Bizazedo on
    edited April 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Ok hypothetically:

Yes. I shred the randoms til he gives me another shot at his main, because if someone beats me, that means they're good, and I wish to get better.

This is also a good point. If I can talk to the guy over live, I'd prefer he stick with the main.

ChaosHat on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did I hear someone say Random? Here are the only reasons to ever play random:

1. you're a fun person who doesn't take fighting games that seriously

2. you're a MAN

3. you like to try different characters to learn their playstyles (thus making you better when fighting against them)

4. you've been playing the series since SFII released in the arcades and the thought of playing with only Chun Li makes you realize that not much has changed with her over time and what little has changed can be assimilated into your mind after a few dedicated hours in training mode or glossing over the PA and SRK forums therefore causing you to branch out (of course safely at first) to Ryu before easing over to Ken before deciding that with a stable "main" and now two "secondaries" you feel confident enough to try playing Cammy (since she's another female character who must be fast and have good pokes therefore fits your style) only to find that you like the challenge presented and begin to feed off of these new experiences leading you to Zangief where-in you become absolutely addicted to the rage induced by 360 grabbing opponents which naturally causes you to start playing T.Hawk due not only the 360 rage but the smirk you display on your face as they lose continually to a "low tier" and "shitty character" ultimately leading you to the random button, the ultimate source of fighting game satisfaction that allows you to drink the tears of your opponents pain as they are losing continually to a person who seemingly has no respect for the conventions of fighting games (tiers, strats, and match-ups) while in reality has been playing a series that has changed little of the last 20 years and he is merely enjoying the thrill of the competition rather than trying to "beast", "pwn", "R.Kelly", "cause saltiness", or increase the size of his "e-penis" to the rest of the gaming world.

See, only 4 simple reasons. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've missed playing street fighter with you.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited April 2010
    Two thumbs up MNC Dover

Random's only tournaments FTW!

Valiantheart on
    edited April 2010
    My thoughts are basically: Chun Li is my best character. People can still beat me when I play her. Therefore, I have not sufficiently trained with her to even bother playing another character seriously.

ChaosHat on
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't play random because I only like Ryu.

Kinderparty on
    edited April 2010
    Unwinnable arguement is go!

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    if someone crushes me six times in a row and then goes random, i'll play my main a couple times to see where i stand - if i am beating his randoms soundly, then i'll go with random as well. if i'm still losing hard, i'll stick to my main, because i don't want him to feel like he's wasting his time playing against someone that far below him.

i tend to pick random when someone else randoms though. and if they pick dan, i pick dan.

Evil Multifarious on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As long as I don't get a charge character I'm fine with random. I just can't use them for some reason.

Dragkonias on