As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SIGNUPS CLOSED] Vampire: The Phalla Masquerade

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    After Soviet Phalla, I've blocked during Phalla.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zerinan wrote: »
    Why are people blocking online status? Does that help them in anyway?

I figured one of the other responses would have bothered to explain this but here goes: If your online status isn't blocked then people can see when you're PMing other people. Sometimes good guy specials will all be PMing at specific times. (In Soviet Phalla a publically announced plan had all the specials PMing right after a certain vote.) Now if you're a bad guy you thing killing good guy specials is like eating sweet, sweet candy you might pay careful attention to it.

Since setting it after the start of the game can draw attention, some people will do it from before the start of the game.

Generally, less information given out=better for you in Phalla-land.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, Ill get in on this one too. I !sign up.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
    edited April 2007

I figured one of the other responses would have bothered to explain this but here goes: If your online status isn't blocked then people can see when you're PMing other people. Sometimes good guy specials will all be PMing at specific times. (In Soviet Phalla a publically announced plan had all the specials PMing right after a certain vote.) Now if you're a bad guy you thing killing good guy specials is like eating sweet, sweet candy you might pay careful attention to it.

Since setting it after the start of the game can draw attention, some people will do it from before the start of the game.

Using alternative forums is a much better idea that PMs anyways.

EvilBadman on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Using alternative forums is a much better idea that PMs anyways.

It is. But frankly I see nothing useful about having my online status available for people, Phalla or not. Either I'm posting or I'm not available. *shrug*

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That seems like meta game thinking to me. I don't think I'm going to block my status, but I usually just leave the thing on with me logged on all the time, and just check it every so often. So I doubt it would matter what I do with that. Well, because everyone is being so helpful, I might as well ask. Are there any tips I should know before this gets underway, or should I just go with it and see what happens?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited April 2007

That seems like meta game thinking to me. I don't think I'm going to block my status, but I usually just leave the thing on with me logged on all the time, and just check it every so often. So I doubt it would matter what I do with that. Well, because everyone is being so helpful, I might as well ask. Are there any tips I should know before this gets underway, or should I just go with it and see what happens?

Silver bullets kill werewolves, not vampires.

Also, wolfman's got nards. I'm not sure that'll help in this game though.

Drez on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From what I've seen, it seems like metagaming these things is almost expected, with the focus on spreadsheeting, PMing, establishing side forums, etc.

I personally don't put much stake in it, but it seems to work out for the people who go to elaborate lengths to determine players' innocence. I'd say just do what works for you.

And, well, there are Werewolves in the WoD...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    ;-)

Drez on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That seems like meta game thinking to me.
    I don't think I'm going to block my status, but I usually just leave the thing on with me logged on all the time, and just check it every so often. So I doubt it would matter what I do with that. Well, because everyone is being so helpful, I might as well ask. Are there any tips I should know before this gets underway, or should I just go with it and see what happens?

In a Vampire game this strikes me as hilarious. The whole idea of controlling information flow is vital to any kind of intrigue which is a pretty large staple of the Vampire setting.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up

Gorilla Salad on
  • Abraham F. HawkAbraham F. Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd like to !sign up, if that is all right with you.

You have to love the vampires.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    Is this a high-stakes game? :winky:

Drez on
  • Abraham F. HawkAbraham F. Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Is this a high-stakes game? :winky:

Nice one.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would also like to sign up.

Unearthly Stew on
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up

Question: how can the prince be forcibly removed from power besides dieing?

Serpent on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This sounds interesting, !I sign up.

Ardor on
    edited April 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    I !sign up

This one is going to be decently heavy on role play, so it may be possible if enough people got together and threatened death or impeachment.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited April 2007
    So do we have to post like we are in character for this Phalla? Or will it just be normal posting like the last one? Can we try to RP it, if we want? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get everything clear before it starts, so I don't screw up or what not.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I told myself I'd take a break from Phallas for a little while, but I can't pass up a Vampire one. Especially not one based in LA after the events of Bloodlines.

I !sign up.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2007
    So do we have to post like we are in character for this Phalla? Or will it just be normal posting like the last one? Can we try to RP it, if we want? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get everything clear before it starts, so I don't screw up or what not.

You can always try to RP, but whether or not anyone else will (or think you're out of your mind), is undetermined. It may be too much to ask of the Phallamaniacs. They tend to lean toward "roleplaying" crazed forumers.

That said, I would welcome an RP Phalla.

EvilBadman on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    I !sign up

I'll have more elaborate details on this once the game starts, but basically, he gets voted out. If the players are dissatisfied, they can start a vote against him. If majority votes him out, the prince is removed from office, and the cycle repeats with whoever's voted into power in his stead.

Something like how the Soviet Phalla Secretary position worked, just with a longer term.

And RPing is all up to the player. It won't be expected, but certain clans are a lot more interesting if they're used in character.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007

You can always try to RP, but whether or not anyone else will (or think you're out of your mind), is undetermined. It may be too much to ask of the Phallamaniacs. They tend to lean toward "roleplaying" crazed forumers.

Well, I really enjoy RP stuff, so I think I'll try it. And if I get weird looks for it, so be it.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited April 2007

Like a Phalla where you're only allowed to communicate in binary/machine language?

Drez on
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, we have quite a few people already.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, the Malkavian player will be under the delusion that he is in an endless cycle of Mafia games?

DarkPrimus on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up, I always liked the WoD setting but have never gotten a chance to actually play it. =(

Last Son on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, the Malkavian player will be under the delusion that he is in an endless cycle of Mafia games?

How is that a delusion?

Also, I'm not signing up for this one because my brain is pretty well fried from the stress of being a bad guy in Voyage to Phalla, and this one looks frighteningly complicated. I hope you all have fun, though!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • BitterOldManBitterOldMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If there's room, can I play? 8-)

BitterOldMan on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Tricky thing is, due to the roles in Phalla, roleplaying certain clans will make it pretty damn obvious. And thus, making you a target. I think.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    To the moon.

Well, fifty, at least.
    DarkPrimus wrote:

The lucky* player who gets a Malkavian role can portray the insanity however he likes, but the crazier, the better.

*depends on perspective

And yes, the above is certainly true... but Malkavians can hide their insanity pretty well if they want to.

Shoot, some even pretend to be members of other clans. And pull it off.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    Just keep in mind that Nerissa said she won't play if it's above 40 or 45...so if you're gunning for 50 participants you may want to make sure if she's in or not before cutting it off (otherwise you'll be stuck with 49).

Drez on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The game will be over when either the Camarilla or Sabbat have been completely eliminated.
    The Assamites will win the game if both factions are wiped out.

Does this mean the assamites can only win if both the Camarilla and Sabbat are finished in the same night?

Also, you have Rygar in spot 35 but it was Ardor who signed up.

Last Son on
    edited April 2007
    I really didn't think there'd be half that many getting involved. I was originally going for around 30.

If the signups trickle down, maybe then I can determine a clearer limit.

But no matter what, 50 will be the cut-off, give or take.

Oops. How I mixed those two up, who knows, but fixed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Roleplaying will probably get you killed if you're the Malkavian. Actually it will get you killed no matter what if you make your role somewhat obvious by RPing, because one of the two sides isn't going to want you around.

But if you really want to out yourself as the crazy seer, go right ahead. Just don't expect to live past day one.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure if you were smart about it you could make the "craziness" more subtle as to not give yourself away right off the bat.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    edited April 2007
    There are derangements that don't make your insanity immediately obvious.

Sanguinary Animism's a fun one(haunted by the voices of people you've drained). So, it's possible, even if risky.

A real Malk thing to do would be to get everyone pointing fingers at each other thinking everyone's crazy.
    (Because they are, aren't they?)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    Well, your faction members can recognize one another though right? So if you RP as the other faction they'll know you're going undercover so to speak.

Is that against the rules? This'll be my first phalla...

Unearthly Stew on
    edited April 2007
    The Sabbat are aware of their membership, but the Camarilla aren't. You could try to play yourself off as being a member of a certain clan, but pretending to be a Sabbat if you're not isn't a good idea.
    (Though only a lunatic would do that in the first place...)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    Also what's the low down on PM's? Does a lot of player/player communication take place through them, or is that generally frowned upon?

Unearthly Stew on
This discussion has been closed.