As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Have you ever wanted to be the very best, like nobody ever was? Is catching them your real test, is training them your cause? You may have conquered Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, bested their leaders, and toppled their Elite Four, but all that was just preparing you for the true challenge.

ppl2.png

Click here for the PPL East leader sign up thread!

Click here for the video!
THE HALL OF FAME!!!
(the hall of fame is up on facebook, so you may have to "like" The PAX Pokemon League to see them, even though I set them to public)

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!
First off is my big list of thank yous:
- Thank you to ALL the gym leaders and Elite four who dontated their time (and money to make badges) to make this league possible.
- Thank you to ALL the participants of the league! You made it a lot of fun for us!
- Thank you to everyone who helped spread the word about the league
- Thank you to everyone putting up with all the little hiccups that we experienced. We now have a much better Idea of what to expect for next time
- Thank you to the folks at The Escapist as well as John Funk for the great article about the League: Click me for the awesome article!

Now, with that out of the way, time to answer the wuestion on everyone elses mind:
Will the Pax Pokemon League be at PAX next year?
YES
Will the Pax Pokemon League be at PAX East?
YES
How do I become a gym leader?
Keep watching our twitter, our facebook page that will be showing up soon, and the forums for big posts. As a guideline, we won't be recruiting gym leaders UNTIL passes go on sale.

THINGS COMING SOON:
Due to the hectic-ness of thelast few days at PAX, I know many people didn't get a chance to challenge the league, so what I'm going to arrange here over the coming weeks is a Friend code swap event. I'll get as many gym leaders and elite four as I can to snag their friend codes, and post mine as well, and you all post yours and we'll all be able to get on to nintendo wifi and battle! I'll also work on setting up a chat room or vent server so we can talk about this in short messages or with voice while we battle.

Once again, THANK YOU ALL for your enthusiasm, and we hope to see you next year (and at East)

IMPORTANT DYNAMIC UPDATES FOR DURING PAX
this is my area for things that people whould know that are too long to tweet
[/center]
-ONLY 6 BADGES ARE NEEDED TO BEGIN FACING THE ELITE FOUR! This is because there are just not as many gym leaders available at all times (since some are enforcers, and others are playing hard to find) so ONLY 6 BADGES are needed to begin the challenge agains Giovanni!
-Some gym leaders are working as enforcers, so they will not be able to challenge at all times, and may not even have updates.
-at least one leader is from canada and thus not using a phone so as not to get shafted by crazy price rates.
-The twitter gets updated as soon as gym leaders tell me where they are, so bug them :P
-Currently, I can't see any @paxpokemon tweets on my phone, since it's only text updates, so if someone knows how to make it send @paxpokemon tweets to my phone, PLEASE do tell.
-ALL PPL MEETUPS will be on the BOTTOM MOST FLOOR of the handheld lounge, unless otherwise noted.
-THERE WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL MEET UP: after the final round of the omegathon, because I want some pictures of all the Leaders, and all the challengers, and everyone all together. location for this is TBD, so watch the twitter please.
-THANK YOU ALL FOR SHOWING UP! we've vot TONS of you who showed up for this! and we're happy to keep this going. I'm glad to see gym leaders 4 trainers deep in battles ready to go out, and I'm a little afraid of how much I'm going to battle on sunday, but mostly excited to get to play LOADS of pokemon.

That’s right, premiering this year at PAX prime is a real life Pokémon league! Challengers will have to find, challenge, and defeat our gym leaders in contests of will, endurance, and of course - Pokemon battling. All you need to enter is a copy of any Fourth-Generation Pokemon game [Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver] with any team. We suggest you use HG or SS if your teams are not level 100, as there is no flat-battle option in D/P/Pt. Teams must follow the rules given below, but most players will find that their teams qualify!

Rules (At-A-Glance version)
  • HAVE FUN! This is supposed to be an enjoyable activity, please don’t get stuck in semantics or rules-lawyering.
  • Wheaton's law applies. We're trying hard to make it fun for you. Treat us with respect, please!
  • Any activity that helps enrich the experience is acceptable and encouraged! Cosplay as your favorite trainer, announce your moves to the public, and help us spread the word! This will not be a success without your enthusiasm!
  • Don’t use hacked or banned Pokémon. If the pokemon in question is banned in the battle tower, it is either banned or restricted from the PPL. For a full list of banned Pokémon, please see the “nitpicky rules” section.
  • Gyme Leaders my only be challenged once per day, and Elite four only once each. This is to ensure that we are also able to enjoy PAX, and encourage all of you to spend lots of time at PAX as well, doing more than just playing Pokemon.
  • A few things frowned upon: Spamming sleep moves or trying to abuse the evasion system. In general, strategies like those are not fun for the challenger or the gym leaders, so please don’t use them. There are more details in the nitpicky rules.
  • On a similar note, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four, are trying to make this fun for you, and we would appreciate it if you would return the favor.
  • Please keep in mind that all GL and E4 are PAX attendants just like you. We have things we want to see, so note there will be times when we’re not able to accept challengers.

The Leaders

Each gym leader that you find will be marked in some way - they will either have a bandana signifying their involvement or will be incredibly obvious to spot. As a challenger, there is no need for you to wear anything, although we do encourage cosplay! The league twitter account (@PAXPokemon) will be updated during the convention with information about various locations and meetups, so please check it!

After defeating or otherwise proving yourself to the gym leader, you will receive an actual physical badge (while supplies last) signifying your accomplishment. After you have collected 8 badges (CHANGED TO 6), you are then permitted to challenge the Elite Four for your shot at becoming a League Champion! The Elite Four must be challenged in order.

Please remember that Gym Leaders and Elite Four are PAX goers just like you, so there will naturally be times they can and cannot be challenged. There will also be set-aside times where all challenges will be accepted. More to come on that later.

Leader will be easily identifiable by their cosplays, pictures posted below, and THESE spiffy bandanas that many will be wearing/have on their person:
0902001313.jpg

Leader Bios:
Pictures currently being added.
Badge shots are in. some are the submitted shots (not the actual buttons) and some are buttons. The cascade badge has both shown so you can know what to expect. There are some placeholder badges as well...
Also: some time in the next few days, I'll put in pics of the armbands the leaders will all be wearing so you can pick them out EVEN easier.

Gym Leaders:

Will, The Masked Esper
44511_1438212955255_1230930632_32246881_5037708_a.jpg
Currently on leave from the Johto Elite Four, Will comes to the PAX League to hone his skill and of course find challengers that will help him develop his powers. His world travels have taken him far and wide, and he looks forward to the variety of opponents he wishes to face. If you manage to break through and defeat his team of Psychics, you will be awarded the Facade Badge.
(Played by Andrei, Heleor on forums)

jimq.png
Yo! Champ-in-the-Making!
This guy's got a wicked team of trickerous Pokemon at his disposal. Bug or Dark Type pokemon would easily give you an advantage against conventional strategies, but with Will, you can never be too sure.
Eva Lucian, The Research Biologist
13291_381465208251_571763251_3619225_1149174_n.jpg10525_127530288251_571763251_2286184_1581825_n.jpg
38979_1160529550632_1749619625_294076_2397497_n.jpg
testprint.jpg
Although her first pokemon was a Pikachu, Eevee and its various evolutions quickly became her favorites. As she grew older, more evolutions of Eevee were discovered, and a childhood fascination became her life's work. She obtained a masters degree in Evolutionary Biology from Sinnoh University, and has spent years in the field studying Eevee in it's natural environment. Eva was part of the team that first discovered the Glaceon evolution of Eevee and has spent the last 6 years in the lab working to discover why Eevee is able to evolve into so many different types. Eva has opted to join the PAX pokemon leauge in order to observe the trainer/pokemon bond and its effects on evolution. If you face Eva and her team and come away victorious, you will take home the Genome Badge.
(Played by Alicia, VonxWolfenstein on forums)

jimq.png
Yo! Champ-in-the-Making!
This Leader can be a boatload of toruble and a half. As her bio states, her reserach field is the study of evolution and chooses to focus on Eevees, and that is reflected in her team choice. That being said, take a moment to recall all the "eevee-lutions" you can think of, and be ready to face any, if not all of them. Best of luck on this one, 'cause it's a real grab-bag.
Jucurares, The Wandering Trobadour
empty_badge.png
Traveling far and wide across the world, Jucurares has played his fabled guitar (while managing to beat a trainer or two) all around the planet: Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh...He is quite charming, but don't let that fool you: His Pokemon are not as nice as him. On his way to the Isshu region, he's decided to stop at the PAX League to check his skills. Is he a bit rusty? You must face him to find out! If you manage to avoid his sinister Pokemon's intentions, you'll be awarded with the Shifting Badge.
(Played by Alvaro, Megamaniaco on forums)

jimq.png
Yo! Champ-in-the-Making!
Don't let this trainer's devilish good looks fool you, he's got a real tricky team. It shifts arround from type to type, but mostly has dark types. A good balanced team with some strong fighting moves will make this fight easy, but anything but a cake-walk.
Cascade, of the Churning Rapids
cascadeshot.jpgCascadeBadge.jpgCascadeBadgeActual01.jpg
As a child, Cascade fell into the churning rapids of the Ellea river. While his parents were helpless to do anything but watch, they were deeply grateful to the Staryu that decided to rescue the kid. Cascade has had a fascination about all the different water Pokémon since that day, and the Staryu - now a glistening Starmie - stayed by his side the entire way. Cascade's challenge will test even the most fearsome teams - after all, even the mighty Charizard can't breathe underwater. Cascade matches the look and power of his Pokémon with his signature mighty blue Enforcer uniform. Defeating Cascade will earn you the Whirl Barge, but you better not be afraid to get a bit wet!
(Played by Matt, dyaballikl on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
Cascade uses water pokemon of course. I trust that if you've made it this far you know how to deal with them. Just beware, some of these pokemon have twists to them, so be prepared for anything!
Dr. Spence, The Dedicated Bug Researcher
janette_fri.jpg<--friday Janette_sat.jpg <---Saturday Image023.jpg <---Sunday
hera_badge.png
Dr. Spence received a doctorate in Invertebrate Pokémon Biology before becoming a member of the League. The good doctor started training Pokémon for use in her research, not wanting to rely on overzealous children to perform dangerous field research on her behalf. She seemed to have knack for training and Dr. Spence eventually became a gym leader. The gym provided ample opportunities for observational research. Anyone who provides Dr. Spence with valuable battle data will receive the Swarm Badge.
(Played by Janette, emosquid on forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
This Dr's the master of all Bug Pokemon. you may think it'll be easy to squash him, but think again. The Doc's got enough punch to knock you right on the floor if you're not expecting it. Bugs may be small but most are weak to fire-type attacks, though I can't guarantee that will work on his team.
Bozko, Breeder Extraordinaire
100_0411-1.jpgPAXPPLShrineBadge.jpg
Bozko's fascination with breeding Pokemon began a few years back when his skitty somehow bred with his wailord, since this uncommon occurrence he's dedicated his life to breeding. Working from the bottom up hes risen through the ranks of Pokemon contests and now holds his place at the PAX Pokemon League, sporting his perfectly bred team of grass type Pokemon. Smell that? Its the sweet scent of victory, and it could be yours with the Shrine Badge.
(Played by Chad, Bozko on the fourms)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
Now, I'll say this may be the trickiest guy you've gotta face yet. His team is full of sweepers and tanks that will flip you on your patoot. That's right, I said patoot! Now though his type is consistant, I'm not sure what it really is. What I do know is he lives mainly out on the plains south of Goldenrod, and has an affinity for Celebi, as seen in his badge. His team will be the strongest of their respective packs, so be ready to take a beating, and dish a bigger one right back at him.
Silicis, The Immovable Object
Promoted to Elite Four. see elite four section for more info

Dr. Kronus, The Intrepid Explorer
empty_badge.png
Dr. Kronus hails from the Johto region, and was once a brilliant field researcher who braved the dangers of ancient ruins in search of new antiquities and clues to the greater truth behind their construction. Unfortunately, his research happened to be funded by the sinister Giovanni. Dr. Kronus was well aware of the source of his funding, and honestly didn't care, as funding is hard to come by when you're an up and coming field researcher. Upon the defeat of Team Rocket at the hands of a child, Dr. Kronus followed Giovanni into self-imposed exile. He wandered the world, exploring and training his Pokémon. More recently, he has returned, a little older, a little wiser, and a lot stronger. While his funding may have been from shady sources, his research still made important advances and he was invited to join the PAX Pokémon League as a Gym Leader. Any who manage to defeat him will receive the Skull Badge.
(Played by David Burke, Mostlyharmless on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
This man it a whole boatload and a half of Trouble (yeah, with a capitol T, which rhymes with P and that stands for pokemon). His reasearch, rumors have it, has been into controlling time. Now, these may be rumors, but just don't be supprised if he truns the tables and turns back the clocks. I would say that his team, Take's after Giovanni's. So take that for what you will, and good luck; you'll need it.
Huáng Fēng (黄風), The Airwave-reading Mystic
DSC01747p.jpgGaleBadgeBorder.png
Ever since he was a young child, Fēng has had a strange affinity with the wind. Feeling the movement of the air around him, the mystic has been able to capture the good luck carried on the breeze. Of course, the wind is always changing – this has shaped Fēng into a multitalented, but capricious character. The only constant throughout has been his loyal Pokémon. Now, the wind has led Fēng to the PAX Pokémon League, carrying with him the Gale Badge. Perhaps if you gain his attention for long enough, you will be able to earn yourself a copy
(Played by Mike Yi, MrBlarney on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
This Leader is a head and a half above the rest, mostly because he has more than a handful of flying Pokemon. Just don't think that electric and ice moves will blow him over though, he has what could be called far from a predictable team and style. His move though graceful, will be devastating to your team if you're not careful. As always, come prepared for anything.
Virus, the Seer of the Abyss
GravityBadgeBorder.png
Spirited away and raised by Drifloon's as an infant, the true name of Virus is only known in Floonish and kept only by his cluster of 'floons. When an attack landed by Team Rocket invaded a nearby carnival one night, all but him were slaughtered or captured in the ensuing chaos -- finding only comfort and survival in the shadows that hid him. Taking on a new name, Virus vowed to infiltrate Team Rocket to find the culprits responsible and punish them for their atrocities. That is before finding a much more devious plot in their database: a plan to corrupt the basic essence and power of every original Badge, thus controlling the most powerful Gym Leaders in the world. Constructing his own Gym in a town of endless night, Virus hopes to lure the strongest trainers in the world to his side. Now, he has set his sights on a new proving ground to foster allies. If you are able to look into the abyss without the abyss looking back, you may find the Void Badge is already yours.
(Played by Andrew, Virus on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
You may be thinking, for someone with a name like virus, he MUST use poison Pokemon. You'd be completely wrong in thinking that. Virus, as he likes to be called, hhas dabbled in quite a few different types, but mostly sways towards dark Pokemon. Whether dark by type, or dark in color, or dark in nature. Bringing a tough fighting type Pokemon will be a helpful tool, but it won't be able to carry you, that's for sure.

ELITE 4:

#1: Giovanni, The Boss of the Land
1.pngempty_badge.png
When he was a child, Giovanni found a wounded Weedle in the Virdian Forest. He brought it home and nursed it back to full health, training and eventually helping it grow into a formidable Beedrill. It was through this experience that he found his true calling, raising pokemon to their utmost potential. He left home, only to return years later with a whole organization of like minded trainers at his beck and call. They remodeled the old Viridian Gym, which Giovanni promptly took over. He maintained the gym for years, until he suffered a particularly stinging defeat at the hands of the current Kanto champion. He has since resumed his wanderings, and if you prove your pokemon have potential, you may earn his respect and the Rocket Badge
(Played by Matthew, Matev on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
Giovanni is one bad dude, but I'm sure you already know that. He somehow weasled out of court cases claiming that the glove didn't fit, as a way to sever the ties between him and Team Rocket, though we wll know the still exist. Regardless, he is a master of ground type Pokemon. As he says himself "how can you hope to defeat the very earth you walk on?"
#2: Silicis, The Immoveable Object
evanbradleymugshot.jpgSkull_o_Tyranny.jpg
For most of his life, Silicis has been fascinated by the thrills of exploration and adventure. A rugged explorer, he has found companionship in the perseverance and stamina of his pokémon partners. Never one to make room for mistakes, he constantly updates and tinkers with his team, trying to find the best possible combinations of pokémon. He has recently returned from an expedition and is temporarily accepting challenges at his oft-abandoned gym. You may have had experience with similar leaders, but don't let your guard down. You will soon find yourself dealing with these Pokémon in new and unexpected ways when you face Silicis - for the Petra Badge!
(Played by Evan Bradley, The Samurai on the forums.)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
This guy, as his name suggests, is a wall. He's beaten trainers in battle because they've lasted so long, the trainer has passed out! But don't worry, this man isn't as immovable as he seems. He's a rock hard battler, so pulling an Ash won't really work against him. Try sticking to some watery moves, but I garuntee you, he may be an immovable object, but he's also able to become an unstoppable force.
ELITE FOUR UPDATE: Yo champ-in-the-making again, this guy is way tougher than we originally thought. He has in the past few months stepped his game up to a whole new level. He was hand picked by Lance as Lance's Replacement in the Elite four (whether that be temporary or permanant we don't know yet). If you thought he was trouble before, he sure will be trouble now...
#3: The Enigma, the mysterious man masked in mysterious mystery.
075-1.jpg
SandstormBadge.png
Da desert doth dance.
Dawn is dim, disappearing.
Dehydration, death.
(Played by Jose, Blackox138 on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
As you could perhaps guess, there is nothing known about this guy at all... only fleeting rumors on how his team whiddles you away to nothing. Take that for what you can and be prepared for anything, because you really can't know what to expect...
#4:The Illuminati, The Architect of the League.
001-1.jpg
illuminati_submit-1.png
Lights. We are neither here nor there. Pause. What is the sound of one hand clapping? At the end of the Elite Four lies the truth. Questions with no answers, answers with no questions. Cameras. Enlightenment comes to the grasshopper who can snatch the pebble from our hand. The New World Order begins when we prove you are not worthy of it. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Can you defeat what you can not even begin to comprehend? Illumination awaits to those who can. Action.
(Played by Shane, Gameshark on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
This man is a true mastermind. He heads up the league and is the strongest trainer you'll find. There isn't a type he hasn't mastered, and he's willing to show it. Due to the riggor of the league, he is rarely seen in battle, and of all who have faced him 1 has walked victorius, and he has since remained quiet, but I digress; if you've made it this far, there is nothing more I can say to assist you. Good luck, you'll need it.

THE CHAMPION:
Professor Pine, Pokemon Resercher
0814002220.jpg
<in lou of a picture, go look at that nice shiny video at the top of the post!>
Professor Pine is a pokemon reasercher native to the PAX area. His field of study is arround Pokemon in unique and unexpected environments and the adaptations that they develop to cope with these non-standard environmental factors. His journey to pokemon research began young, with his first Pokemon, an Oddish, who eventually evolved into a Bellossom. Though he doesn't use his Bellossom in battle anymore, he is still seen out and about with it. He has good connections with Professor Oak, and collaborates with him in anything relation to evolutionary conditions and how that causes evolutions to differ. He is the only trainer to ever have been known to defeat The Illuminati, and afterwards had gone into retirement to focus more on his research. For this weekend, and this weekend only, He's dusting off his battle gloves and is ready to take any challenger who can proove themselves against 8 gym leaders and the elite four. Best his skills and you too can become a champion of the Pax Pokemon League.
(Played by Patrick, TheSpiffyNeoStar on the forums)

jimq.png
Yo Champ-in-the-Making!
I've said it before, but this time I really mean it: be ready for anything. You read his bio, he studies SPECIFICALLY pokemon in odd living environments. His Pokemon team could be comprised of almost anything as well. This guy truely seems to be the genuine Jack of all Trades.

Team Rocket!
You may want to be careful; Team Rocket has heard of our plans to gather the strongest trainers in the world, and hopes to capitolize on this for their own nefarious gains. Sources say they may have even infiltrated the PAX Pokemon league, much like they did the Kanto League.
UPDATE: My sources were correct, and the PPL has indeed been infiltrated, but fear not, as the best trainers from arround the world are gathering here, and if they were stopped by a child before, perhaps this time we can stop them with the child inside all of us. That being said, do your best to track down and defeat as many rocket grunts as you can, as well as seek out their mysterious leader.
SECOND UPDATE: It seems it's worse that I originally thought... The Prince has mysteriously disappeared and Giovanni has volunteered to take his place... No one has seen a trace of the prince, but lance must be out looking for him. Though Giovanni has been cleared of criminal charges in the past, one can't help but pin the blame on him, as he had a seat of power to gain through this move.

Rewards

These are still being discussed, but every Gym Leader will have a badge for you to obtain upon defeating them, and a final reward will be set for defeating the full Elite Four.
Remember that all rewards are while supplies last - we're planning some backups in case we have more demand than we expect, but please don't be disappointed if we run out - things happen.
There might also be some other surprises in store for champions.

Meet-Ups at PAX
Meet-ups are designed to slightly lower the time that goes into finding a gym leader and more time towards battling. Though we still very much encourage battles anywhere during PAX, these meet-ups will be a sure place to go to find the leader you want to challenge. As noted below, for the most up to date information, please follow us on twitter @PaxPokemon. I would also suggest following the PAX Handheld lounge, as they will be hosting multiple Pokewalker meetups, at which the PPL will attempt to be present.
Our official meetups will be in the handheld lounge(s) (the place with all the sumo bean-bags) at the following times:
-FRIDAY: 5PM
-SATURDAY: 5PM
-SUNDAY: 4PM
Please note: times and location are subject to change, and as I've said before and I'll say again, the best way to stay in touch is follow us on twitter.

Rules (long version) - if you're casual, they are summarized above.
All battles will be single battles played on local connection, not over Wi-Fi.

Species Clause: A player's team may not contain two Pokémon with the same National Pokédex number.

Item Clause: No duplicate items across your team.

Soul dew is not allowed as a held item.

Self-KO clause: If anyone uses a move that is an intentional self KO move (explosion) the user of the move loses the match if it is the deciding factor. If anyone uses a move that has recoil that scores a KO, and the recoil also KO’s the user’s Pokémon, The user wins the match if it is the deciding factor.

Sleep clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.

Evasion clause: A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.

The following Pokémon may not be on any team:
151 - Mew
251 - Celebi
385 - Jirachi
386 - Deoxys
489 - Phione
490 - Manaphy
491 - Darkrai
492 - Shaymin
493 - Arceus

There may be only 1 of any of the following Pokémon on any team:

150 - Mewtwo
249 - Lugia
250 - Ho-Oh
382 - Kyogre
383 - Groudon
384 - Rayquaza
483 - Dialga
484 - Palkia
487 - Giratina

Here is a reference for the some of various clauses we are using: Click me!

Final note:

- Follow us on twitter @PaxPokemon for updates about the league.
-Help keep your twitter world updated on your conquests int he league, and help us find them by tagging your tweets with #PaxPokemon (sadly #ppl is taken by tweets about... people...)
- If you’re going to be a challenger, please tell us. We're excited about this, and we would love to talk about people similarly excited!
- Tell your friends, tell your family, and tell anyone you know who’s going to PAX who plays Pokémon. We're hoping for word of mouth!
- Bring your A-game. This league will challenge even the toughest trainers!

See you at PAX!

Below are the previous front page posts, which are for archive purposes only, and really shouldn't be read.

Coming this year to PAX PRIME!
The first ever:
ppl2.png
That's right, bring any DS version of Pokemon and come challenge the league. you can win REAL BADGES!

Firstly though, there are some rules you must follow as a challenger:
  • Wheaton's Law (don't be a dick) and try to have fun. that' why we're doing this. we hope this is an enjoyable experience for all. We're putting a lot of trust in the "don't be a dick" rule, so follow it. <3
  • The biggest is this rules list Here. The rules we are using here are the rules onrestricted and banned pokemon. The rest is irrelavent to this challenge.
  • That is the list of Pokemon and item restrictions that will be applied to challengers. Gym Leaders and Elite four have slightly more stringent rules
  • Nextly, please follow wheaton's law and don't be a dick. Don't use a hacked pokemon. it takes away the fun. train your pokemon the old fashioned way and it'll be a lot cooler. I promise.
  • The Gym Leaders and elite four will be using mostly level 100 pokemon. The gym leaders are set up so that they have a maximum level cap accross their team (say 300). That means the total levels of all their pokemon may not exceed the given number (in this case 300). That means they either have 3 level 100s, or 4 level 75s or 6 level 50s. the choice is theirs, and how they choose this, and their level cap, will NOT be posted.
That being said, I currently am full on gym leaders and elite four, but it never hurts to PM me your e-mail.
I usually check this thread weekly (on mondays), and will be able to respond there.

{tons of stuff has been cut out due to post length restrictions}

thespiffyneostar on

• GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would the Gym leaders have to have themed teams?

Gentlemanne on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Potentially awesome idea.

When would this take place, though? You can't expect Gym Leaders to stand in one place during the entirety of PAX!

ACC3SS on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would the Gym leaders have to have themed teams?

I would hope so.
    Type themed probably

As for where it would take place, I was thinking figure out designated times where the gym leaders should be in the DS lounge, or otherwise have them marked somehow (some article of clothing unique to them (AKA a badge or something) and you'd have to find them as part of the challenge)
    Similarly the champion (whoever beats the series first) would have some sort of crown that they were to wear, and to challenge the champ, you'd have to go find them.
    in short, still trying to figure that part about finding them out...

thespiffyneostar on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That might be a kind of steep requirement - if you want to be a gym leader, raise up an amazing themed team of level 100 pokemon.

It's a cool idea, but that might be a high point of entry.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i've only been back into pokémon since last thursday after a break since the original games, but this sounds like a very cool idea, if it worked.

[edit] If you want a water type gym leader, I LOVE water type Pokémon!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    That might be a kind of steep requirement - if you want to be a gym leader, raise up an amazing themed team of level 100 pokemon.

It's a cool idea, but that might be a high point of entry.

not a full team for gym leaders. like... a team of 3-5 pokemon for gym leaders. maybe 4-5 (maybe 6) for E4

just trying to gain some ideas from this for right now.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited April 2010
    ALSO, if not a gym challenge, there should at least a Pokemon Tournament.

just a thought...

thespiffyneostar on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a pretty awesome concept. I've been thinking about it since I read this post about an hour ago. I'd like to be a part of it, but I'm going to be really busy throughout PAX. Perhaps, if enough people could make it, we could do something similar to this during an event like the Pre-PAX or Post-PAX Dinners as well.

Now I'm just getting too many ideas in my head... Thanks a lot. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    This is a pretty awesome concept. I've been thinking about it since I read this post about an hour ago. I'd like to be a part of it, but I'm going to be really busy throughout PAX. Perhaps, if enough people could make it, we could do something similar to this during an event like the Pre-PAX or Post-PAX Dinners as well.

Now I'm just getting too many ideas in my head... Thanks a lot. :P

now THAT is a fun idea.
    maybe do it like... right after hours at PAX, but before the concerts start.
    like during that dead time? yeah, that'd be good.

thespiffyneostar on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah that could work, depending on specific time and location(s) I guess.

I just think it would be fun to setup a spot at the Pre-PAX Dinner where people can come and battle me though. I don't know if I would take a gym leader position though, unless there would be enough of us and challengers would only need to defeat a certain number of leaders to take on the elites.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lol, does Nakki know about this yet? :p

BrennaCeDria on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This actually sounds like fun. XD

Hrm...I wonder if I could get a crazy level 100 Steel type team going in time.

eye-shuh on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lol, does Nakki know about this yet? :p
    Now I do =)

A word of caution. Wifi battles (which is what these would be) or notoriously IMPOSSIBLE to finish at PAX. There's so many wireless signals that usually half way through the battle you'll lose the connection and then it's sadfaces all around :( Of the 20ish battles I've attempted at PAX I've only finished one.

I've had a lot of the fun in the past challenging people to Union Room battles, which are 2 on 2 with pokemans <= 30lvls, Yeah it's limited but the DS's handle line of site much better than wifi.

So while I'd LOVE to do this and be a gym master (of course, 'cause my pokeman are badass motherfuckers), I don't think it's feasible while at PAX.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited April 2010
    Everyone get a GBC and link cords! ;)

eye-shuh on
    edited April 2010
    To address the issue of linking and battling, we won't be using wi-fi to battle via online if that's what you meant.
    it'll be direct link wireless face to face, in the same room, watching the other person, and hopefully announcing the moves your pokemon are using rather loudly.

thespiffyneostar on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll bring my Level 100 Mudkip.
    ^.^

ACC3SS on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Everyone get a GBC and link cords! ;)

Oh, man. I had a team of legitimately trained L:100s in Red. It was something like Charizard, Mewtwo, Gengar, maybe a Dodrio for some reason, and a couple of others.

I need to dig that game out again.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited April 2010
    yeah, with 4 generations of pokemon games, I should probably clarify we're using Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and/or heartgold/soulsilver.
    I'd require that GLs and E4 will use no legendaries, but challengers are not restricted in this way (in my initial thoughs, but I may end up banning deoxys, and mew since they're WAY too good, but all is up for discussion)

I really think this has the potential to be awesome, I hope to see it be awesome. as I've said in my last 10 posts, IDEAS WILL BE MET WITH COOKIES!

thespiffyneostar on
  • GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How about getting the appointed Gym leaders to hand out buttons to winners? Would be something cool for people who win to get.

Gentlemanne on
    edited April 2010
    How about getting the appointed Gym leaders to hand out buttons to winners? Would be something cool for people who win to get.

That would be really cool actually.
    then it'd feel like they have real badges, lol

but I know nothing of getting buttons made etc.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited April 2010
    We could do something like the annual button exchange. Order a small amount of buttons from PureButtons.com with a badge design of some sort on them to hand out. I was thinking of doing this anyway, actually.

If you want to ban anything else, ban Arceus as well. It's not legitimently available yet, people would have to use something like Pokesav to get it, and I wouldn't be opposed to people using something like that to make their own team, as long as it's legit as possible, (stats and known moves per level for every existing pokemon are easy to find online) but Arceus can be really powerful if used right, even at low level. Just a thought though.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    We could do something like the annual button exchange. Order a small amount of buttons from PureButtons.com with a badge design of some sort on them to hand out. I was thinking of doing this anyway, actually.

If you want to ban anything else, ban Arceus as well. It's not legitimently available yet, people would have to use something like Pokesav to get it, and I wouldn't be opposed to people using something like that to make their own team, as long as it's legit as possible, (stats and known moves per level for every existing pokemon are easy to find online) but Arceus can be really powerful if used right, even at low level. Just a thought though.

both noted.
    it makes sense that arceus would be banned too... a bit too versatile as well.

also, I think arceus is available..... in japan...

thespiffyneostar on
    edited April 2010
    It probably is in Japan, I'm pretty sure it's available through an event tied to one of the recent movies.

Anyway, I'm still rigorously training a team in Heart Gold right now, rematching a bunch of the gym leaders over and over, as well as fighting the improved elite four until I can take down Red. I'll probably keep training them afterwards and just use them as my team for PAX.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    Anyway, I'm still rigorously training a team in Heart Gold right now, rematching a bunch of the gym leaders over and over, as well as fighting the improved elite four until I can take down Red. I'll probably keep training them afterwards and just use them as my team for PAX.

would you be interested in being a gym leader, or a challenger?

also, some time this weekend I'll start a new thread with full on information on what I'm going to need (in terms of people to do stuff like, train pokemon teams of all one type as gym leaders etc...) and how others can participate.

do note, if this falls through, there can still be a pokemon tourney set up at some point.

thespiffyneostar on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just dropped in to say that you should use this as your banned Pokemon list
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

George Fornby Grill on
    edited April 2010

Probably a leader, though I'm not going to have much time to meet up with people to battle with them, unless we did something like I mentioned before, where challengers wouldn't need to defeat every gym leader in order to fight the elite four. Otherwise, I might just do my own thing at the Pre-PAX Dinner.

I can agree to that list.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • shadowklawshadowklaw Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depending on how this works out I'd certainly be interested in participating as a challenger. Would give me a reason to finally push to level my Pokemon to 100.

I'd suggest for when/where to battle, each leader/elite four should have some set times each day to be in certain areas as is reasonable for each ones' schedule with some form of special button identifying them as the person of interest. If for some reason someone can't make those times it should be up to them to find that leader/elite four on their own and hope they're compliant for a battle or to schedule a personal match, such as you might see in those leader rematches. Elite Four should have some requirement for battling each one, so the trainers can say they were good enough to make it to them.

And 'twould be awesome to receive a "gym badge" button for winning.

shadowklaw on
    "Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer, nothing is more difficult than to understand him."
    ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
    edited April 2010

I don't get the "not legitimately available" part. What about the TRU event? (I think that's what it was, back in November.) I don't mind banning on basis of being overpowered, however.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010

also, some time this weekend I'll start a new thread with full on information on what I'm going to need (in terms of people to do stuff like, train pokemon teams of all one type as gym leaders etc...) and how others can participate.

do note, if this falls through, there can still be a pokemon tourney set up at some point.

What's wrong with this thread?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    O man! I was just saying the other day how much awesomer the world would be if pokemon were real :P I'd totally be up to being a challenger.

Nanaki on
    Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Had to stop lurking and create an account to say I'd be so down for being a gym leader or E4 :)

Keep us posted with your plans!

Gameshark on
    edited April 2010

I don't get the "not legitimately available" part. What about the TRU event? (I think that's what it was, back in November.) I don't mind banning on basis of being overpowered, however.

I don't really pay much attention to the events, so I may have missed one involving Arceus, I've just heard from multiple sources that it hasn't happened yet. The legit part just means there's no official way of obtaining Arceus. People would need something like pokesav to create it, then load it onto a rom on a flash cart.

Either way, we won't be seeing it, so it's all good.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I can see the Legendaries as being banned, but Wobbuffet and Garchomp? Those are just standard Pokémon, and it's your own fault if your team structure can't handle them.

One thought that I had is that there could be button "Badges", with graphics from the games, and one "Champion" badge that you can get for beating everyone or placing highest.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »
    One thought that I had is that there could be button "Badges", with graphics from the games, and one "Champion" badge that you can get for beating everyone or placing highest.
    <3 this idea. For gym leaders, one of the tiny, super cheap buttons with just a pic of the element would be perfect!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2010

I don't really pay much attention to the events, so I may have missed one involving Arceus, I've just heard from multiple sources that it hasn't happened yet. The legit part just means there's no official way of obtaining Arceus. People would need something like pokesav to create it, then load it onto a rom on a flash cart.

Either way, we won't be seeing it, so it's all good.

No, I mean I have Arceus from the event. I had to look it up when I took the picture just now, but it was in November of last year. But yeah, Roar of Time, Spacial Rend, and Shadow Force might only have 5 uses each naturally, but do you really need more? That's just a *bit* overkill for friendly competition like this. :p

Anyway, now that I've actually managed to remove Soul Silver from my DS for five minutes, I suppose I should get to breeding Brian those Kanto starters he asked me for back when we picked up HG/SS. :p

BrennaCeDria on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will at least take part as a challenger.

PeasantDave on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »

I can see the Legendaries as being banned, but Wobbuffet and Garchomp? Those are just standard Pokémon, and it's your own fault if your team structure can't handle them.

It's more that Wobbuffet can, with some really easy prediction (is your opponent a special or physical attacker?) get at least one free kill.
    Garchomp has a very high base stat total, which wouldn't be bad if it didn't have Sand Veil, giving it boosted evasion in a sandstorm. Given the overabundance of Hippowdon and Tyranitar, this makes Garchomp more difficult to kill than it should be.

George Fornby Grill on
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to come up with 2 different ban lists is what I think I'm going to do.

This is going to be designed arround the challengers HAVING A CHANCE and some room for error (but less as they go on) so as I said before NO legendaries (or FEAR rattatas) are allowed by leaders of E4, but Challengers will have a seperate list that will NOT be as extensive as the list provided as the top of this page. I'll put out a list in the 2nd thread I'll be making this weekend with ALL the full info I've come up with, and hopefully that one will get stickied (a man can dream, can't he)

thespiffyneostar on
    edited April 2010
    Just FYI: You shouldn't create a new thread. Just put all the new info in the OP of this thread. You don't want to make our mods cranky. :)

eye-shuh on
  • NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'll be the Flying Gym Leader!!!

Makes sense as i'm studying to become and Air Traffic Controller <_<

NovaFlares on
This discussion has been closed.