As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Napoleon: Total War - LIBERTÉÉÉ, ÉGALITÉÉÉ, FRATERNITÉÉ

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been trying to complete the French campaign on H/H difficulty twice, but it's nearly impossible.

1st try: Strengthening the economy and infrastructure, focusing on Austria, Great Britain lands a full stack near Calais and Paris (both of which are undefended), end game.

2nd try: Strengthening the economy and infrastructure, and focusing on Austria and Great Britain. Land a full stack near Wales, take the city, head north and liberate Scotland, head for England, and confront several British full stack armies. Austria's kept in check for the time being until the Ottoman Empire and Prussia declares war on me, then all my protectorates decides to declare war on me, end game.

Prisca on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I started a campaign as Russia. I got two full stacks and attacked the Ottomans. I got smashed. I've been spoiled by British Infantry. They are sooo much better than Russian infantry. Did everything I normally do and my infantry just ran for it. My redcoats would have stayed fast.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I started a campaign as Russia. I got two full stacks and attacked the Ottomans. I got smashed. I've been spoiled by British Infantry. They are sooo much better than Russian infantry. Did everything I normally do and my infantry just ran for it. My redcoats would have stayed fast.

Pfft. You don't know shitty infantry until you play as Persia (or the Mughul Empire, same roster). If you build their high tier barracks you get access to elite line infantry that can't square, uses swords instead of bayonets, can't fire by rank, and has average morale. I hope you like Camel gunners, because they are the backbone of your army. Desert infantry make militia look like Royal Guard.

Though....early period Ottoman line infantry is also terrible. I guess they smashed you in melee? Janissaries are pretty sick in melee and camels can ruin your cavalry's day.
    Apostate wrote: »
    I mean there is hardly any reason to buy militia as they are only a little less expensive than a line unit and can't do all the good stuff.

You are playing as Prussia, a faction with a few, well developed territories. With Imperial factions, you have loads of territories that can't build line and are unlikely to be attacked. For that, you build shitty militia and pikemen for low cost defense and repression. Also, militia are halfway decent in a fight against say, American Indians.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You are playing as Prussia, a faction with a few, well developed territories. With Imperial factions, you have loads of territories that can't build line and are unlikely to be attacked. For that, you build shitty militia and pikemen for low cost defense and repression. Also, militia are halfway decent in a fight against say, American Indians.

Actually its funny you said that. After finishing off the Prussia campaign I started a British campaign (went with the Darthmod) and I noticed that your absolutely correct. With crap all over the world, instead of one place, you can't get away with buying elite infantry units every turn. So that's nice the militias do have their place.

Apostate on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Pfft. You don't know shitty infantry until you play as Persia (or the Mughul Empire, same roster). If you build their high tier barracks you get access to elite line infantry that can't square, uses swords instead of bayonets, can't fire by rank, and has average morale. I hope you like Camel gunners, because they are the backbone of your army. Desert infantry make militia look like Royal Guard.

Though....early period Ottoman line infantry is also terrible. I guess they smashed you in melee? Janissaries are pretty sick in melee and camels can ruin your cavalry's day.
    Apostate wrote: »
    I mean there is hardly any reason to buy militia as they are only a little less expensive than a line unit and can't do all the good stuff.

I was playing N:TW and used a new mod. Somehow units were pumped up to about 500 men. I did, infact, get charged and my militia just ran for it almost imidiatly. i assumed those huge beard they have would have accounted for something.

I never use militia when playing as Great Britain. The only time I use them is to garrison London early game. Historically British Militia was never allowed to be sent out of the English Isles.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited April 2010
    I was playing N:TW and used a new mod. Somehow units were pumped up to about 500 men. I did, infact, get charged and my militia just ran for it almost imidiatly. i assumed those huge beard they have would have accounted for something.

I never use militia when playing as Great Britain. The only time I use them is to garrison London early game. Historically British Militia was never allowed to be sent out of the English Isles.

Oh, NTW? Russian line are really good in that. Militia is.....not. Russia is actually a very good faction overall. No skirmishing infantry, though, but their light infantry kicks ass and IIRC, they get some of the best Grenadiers in the game.

Ottomans do have Sipahis in several of their starting cities though. If those charge your militia, enjoy your chain rout!

As for militia and GB, I'm talking about North America, where they did in fact have many militias. :P

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010

Oh, NTW? Russian line are really good in that. Militia is.....not. Russia is actually a very good faction overall. No skirmishing infantry, though, but their light infantry kicks ass and IIRC, they get some of the best Grenadiers in the game.

Ottomans do have Sipahis in several of their starting cities though. If those charge your militia, enjoy your chain rout!

As for militia and GB, I'm talking about North America, where they did in fact have many militias. :P

Yeah, I was talking in the Napoleonic Period. Should have mentioned that. Obviously Colonial units are different. :P

My problem was the over reliance of Militia. Since I never used them, I didn’t know how long they’d last. I felt pretty secure since everyone else around Russia was in my alliance so I moved everything down to the Ottomans and attacked. Ugh. So many dead men in dark green coats. My Infantry stood, but I had so few.

I learned my lesson though.

Librarian's ghost on

• RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Multiplayer campaign between two people over ethernet. Four hours playing, and suddenly we get a message informing us of a lost connection to Steam. No saved game. Quit out of Napoleon to find Steam sitting there, in online mode. DSL connection is solid and nobody is downloading or uploading anything.

Thank you Valve/Creative Assembly/Sega. I feel like screaming blue murder at whatever group of idiots are at fault.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited April 2010
    What do you mean "no saved game"? As in, you didn't bother to save, or you did, but it suddenly isn't there?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    No, we didn't save the game because we were playing over a lan, and didn't think a Steam connection error would pop up, especially because we were playing locally over ethernet, and I thought the game would autosave. Turns out it does autosave as we started a new game as a test, but our autosave from our game is nowhere to be seen.

This has happened to me in online games, too. I might join a battle, the game would start loading, and I get the Steam connection error. Or I might be in the middle of a battle, and it will happen. I've seen it happen to other people too, so I know I'm not alone in experiencing this. What's odd is that when this happens, and I exit out of the game, Steam is still sitting there on the desktop in online mode. So, I'm not sure who to blame for this - shoddy network code on CA's part, or some failure on the part of Steam.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you've ever got a problem and the culprit is either Steam or CA being incompetent, always bet on it being CA's fault.

PolloDiablo on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wired or wireless network?

Ivar on
    edited April 2010
    Ivar wrote: »
    Wired or wireless network?

The two machines are hooked up via ethernet to a Netgear DG834G router/modem that is connected to an ADSL service with 7.6mb down/672kbps up connection speed. The connection is stable and the router is properly configured to allow online gaming, and Windows Firewall is allowing both the game and Steam through.

There were three people in the apartment, all on computers and using the Internet. The third was playing WoW, and definitely wasn't the cause - we have had up to seven people in here connecting to Steam to play Modern Warfare 2 online while also browsing and in the case of one, downloading.

I'd be less ticked off if our game was still there with autosave, but I'm getting that connection error while playing battles online also, and that just won't do. I hope CA is working on a patch to solve this, whatever it is.

Rohan on

• chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would be extremely interested in this game if there was a mod that added arial dragon combat, ala Temeraire.

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rohan wrote: »
    I hope CA is working on a patch to solve this, whatever it is.

I can guarantee they're not.

dukederek on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dukederek wrote: »

But the fix will be included in the soon to be released Lord Nelson: Total War!

Endaro on
    edited April 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    dukederek wrote: »

But the fix will be included in the soon to be released Lord Nelson: Total War!

I don't think anyone would be surprised, really.

Rohan on

edited April 2010
    I do not particularly want to be rude. But, really, playing any PC game without saving every few minutes? :rollseyes:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I do not particularly want to be rude. But, really, playing any PC game without saving every few minutes? :rollseyes:

I stopped saving things every few minutes years ago. I always save when I exit a game, and if by some random happenstance the game crashes, or my pc crashes (unlikely), then the lost gametime really isn't that much of a deal.

With Napoleon especially, I expected it to autosave.

Rohan on

edited April 2010
    Ugh. I tried a mod that lets me play the Collation campaign in N:TW as Ireland. I built up an army and invaded Scotland. They had nothing but Highland Infantry regiments. I got my ass handed to me. It wasn't even fair. I need to see about cheating to get Scotland. I want to try and get Ireland to take over Europe. Might be good for a few laughs.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2010

I stopped saving things every few minutes years ago. I always save when I exit a game, and if by some random happenstance the game crashes, or my pc crashes (unlikely), then the lost gametime really isn't that much of a deal.

Never rely on that shit. Even in my Mass Effect 2 game, on xbox, I ended both runs with about 200 saves.
    Ugh. I tried a mod that lets me play the Collation campaign in N:TW as Ireland. I built up an army and invaded Scotland. They had nothing but Highland Infantry regiments. I got my ass handed to me. It wasn't even fair. I need to see about cheating to get Scotland. I want to try and get Ireland to take over Europe. Might be good for a few laughs.

Do the opposite and start a game as Scotland, when you reach Ireland, they'll have a full stack of line infantry and cavalry. Sons of a bitch....

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010

Never rely on that shit. Even in my Mass Effect 2 game, on xbox, I ended both runs with about 200 saves.

Do the opposite and start a game as Scotland, when you reach Ireland, they'll have a full stack of line infantry and cavalry. Sons of a bitch....
    I thought about that, but I can't stand the blue uniforms with the kilts. I was trying to figure out how to modify uniforms since the Green with yellow trim that the Irish use is horrible.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2010
    Oh, I meant that more rhetorically. If you start as the Irish, you have nothing, but the scots build up a huge force. If you start as the Scots, you start with nothing and the Irish build up a big force. Seems to only happen with the "emergent" factions that are modded into the starting game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I meant that more rhetorically. If you start as the Irish, you have nothing, but the scots build up a huge force. If you start as the Scots, you start with nothing and the Irish build up a big force. Seems to only happen with the "emergent" factions that are modded into the starting game.

Yeah, they really need to give you a starting army. You could probably rush them pretty early then.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2010
    In other news, the back of the Maratha Confederacy has been broken by the drawn sword of Islam. In fierce fighting, the armies of the Persian Shah captured Hindustan in a bloody battle. Appropriately, the offensive was led by exiled Mughul troops, who though butchered in large numbers, allowed snipers to fully take the walls and annihilate the defenders. In separate fighting, the southern most fortress repelled another Marathi army. With 3 stacks destroyed, India is fully open to attack.

I think I've reached "the easy part" now....in 1760. Thats pretty late, even with Spain I was there by 1750. And with some other factions, you can be dominant by 1720. Really fun faction.

Also, the Shah is an incompetent ruler and a serious womanizer, who has not 1, but 2 mistresses in his retinue. Throw in some opium, and we have some stereotypes going. 8-)

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To my annoyance, I wasn't able to turn Sicily into a protectorate when I conquered them. Very odd.

I'm thinking about handing it over to my Italian Protectorate (not to be confused with the Kingdom of Italy, which is my ally), unless I really want it is a port.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2010
    So, unlikely alliance or unlikeliest alliance?
    unlikely.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Wow. Wow.

I was pretty pleased I got Chavlier d'Eon as a spy, but that's a whole 'nother thing. Assuming it's not just in the battle generator or whatever.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2010
    Oh, its a legit battle. British/French alliance against the Prussians. Kind of an accident, really, though. Didn't realise they both were in the area until it popped up.

Lets just say that the Prussians never had a chance.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010

I thought about that, but I can't stand the blue uniforms with the kilts. I was trying to figure out how to modify uniforms since the Green with yellow trim that the Irish use is horrible.

I wonder who, if Ireland is liberated, Rory I is supposed to be? Wouldn't it make more sense for a liberated Ireland to be a republic? The last Irish monarchy (kings of Leinster) died out nearly two hundred years before, with the last King of Tara dead eight hundred years by the time of the Napoleonic wars. There's a joke in Ireland that everyone in the country has a right to the throne because Brian Ború had so many descendants, but I doubt anyone took that seriously and made a claim!

So, who is Rory I meant to be? I wonder why Creative Assembly decided to go that route. Maybe it's some kind of in-joke.

Rohan on

edited April 2010
    Generally speaking, protectorates tend to be absolute monarchies.

Which is rather weird, especially if you play France, since one of Napoleon's biggest impacts was the spreading of his code and the heavy influence it had all on the conquered states (particularly Germany, if memory serves).

This is something I could imagine being corrected in Napoleon: Total Realism, if that ever happened.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2010
    Heh, my British/French tagteam has conquered a few more territories. Slow going, of course. Co-op campaign, playing every single battle. So, after 2 sessions its turn 10. My good friend, who's playing as France, is a complete nub, so he does stupid shit like TK his own general with cannons and shit, but its good times all around.

I'm already looking forward to another Total War game. Hopefully they do Asia again. First game was Shogun, so they obviously like the idea. I'd like to see some China going on, though, too. Late Ming era would be great for variety. That is when Japan invaded Korea and you'd have a mix of old fashioned melee/archers with matchlock muskets. I really hope they don't do a Rome II because that'll mean I'll have to wait for mods to fix that fucking Egyptian faction...

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    A friend and I are also playing a co-op campaign as France and Britain. We can't play battles because he's running the game on a laptop only, but there is still the strategy of the campaign map - the Total War games are two games in one, after all (three since Empire if you consider the naval aspects). After a year of game time, with Wellesley and Napoleon tramping around Spain, the Spanish are done with, the entire territory divided between my friend (Britain) and myself (France, obviously). I get Madrid and Pamplona, he gets Lisbon and Catalina.

While he prepares his final assault on the Portuguese, I have recruited another army for Ney with my ill-gotten gains and have him hitting Saxony and Austria in the north, while I moved Napoleon to northern Italy to assault Austria in the south. Vienna is so close... then it's off to deal with those upstart Prussians. God, I love multiplayer campaign.

Rohan on

edited April 2010
    In a shocking turn of events, for the first time ever, I actually found the ability to dismount Dragoons useful.

Cannon on a narrow city street, with its rear entirely covered by tank-traps (or whatever they were called back then). Moved my dragoons in behind them, dismounted, and shot them to death for no loss. Feels good, man.

Also, yeah, the newer TW games aren't really laptop friendly, but you are missing out on the fun of either teaming up together to take out AI armies, or taking control of AI armies to either a) be an asshole and gun for his generals or b) set up killing zones for his cannons to level up.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Well then. Victory is sweet. Possibly the hardest campaign I've done so far, and one of the most fun. The Neo-Persian Empire has achieved victory under the oh-so-unfortunately named Nadir I.

persiafinal.png

Whenever the enemy cavalry took the field, I prayed my guns could fell them quickly, because Persia has no way to deal with cavalry other than cannons, Camels, and losing a shitload of infantry. The Ottoman big guns were also nasty, I avoided them best I could by forcing them into reinforcement battles where the fixed guns could not participate.

Given a few more turns I'd have taken Mysore and Ceylon, but they weren't priorities. If I decide to run the game until the end-date I'll pick up those 2 provinces.

MVP is camel gunners. Super long range Jezzails, scare horses, and mobile. Aladis, the top tier heavy cavalry, suuuck. They do nothing that horse archers or throwaway lancers can't do. In my battle at Instambul, I sent them against Nedim Cedit infantry in line formation, and they lost the melee.

Islamic swordsmen...are decent. Despite being the best melee unit statwise, they are still swordsmen, meaning that they will always take casualties of at least 20%. I found them a good backup in small units, for the countercharge.

And, of course, everyone's favourite:
    hats.png
    That, my friends, is a hat. Mediocre line infantry, but they have swords and can hold fast under fire. A good defensive line, provided you don't just sit there and let them lose a firefight to superior line. No square formation, no bayonets, so they cannot be expected to deal with cavalry.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Napoleon Total War is 33% off today which makes it $26.79
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/34030/

I hear it's basically Empire but not broken, thoughts?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Napoleon Total War is 33% off today which makes it $26.79
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/34030/

I hear it's basically Empire but not broken, thoughts?

And a little more fluid/dynamic in the battles.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2010
    Mods are starting to trickle out.

Last time, I was playing the French campaign, I had conquered 2/3 of Russia, and was just at the gates of Moscow when I felt the impulse to restart for some reason. I really need to finish that.

Synthesis on
  • PilgrimPilgrim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This Napoleon demo won't run, no matter what I do.

No error messager or anything, Steam just says "Preparing to launch Napoleon: Total War Demo" and then nothing happens.

Any clues as to what might be wrong?

Pilgrim on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did you try restarting Steam already? That sometimes does it for me when it hangs like that.

PolloDiablo on