As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thank you for your support at Pax East, Magic the Gathering Events

Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone for their support of our Magic the Gathering Events at Pax East. As a group the players who attended our events were very kind to each other which was greatly appreciated. You did blow away our expectations in terms of participation in the events. We do have some issues to work out for next year.

Rest assured we will. Next year's PAX will be bigger and better. We will be working on newer sysytems for us to use to alleviate the fact that so many players at PAX sign up within 5 minutes of registration closing. I am proud overall of the job that we did and the fact that the magic area didn't have long lines to enter into our events that other parts of PAX did.

We will be working on tightening up the Mini Master and Team Mini Master rules, and operating procedures. We will be working on an email list for PAX so that we can communicate with you during the year to help us make adjustments that will enhance your PAX experience.

Feel free to contact me if you have any additional concerns or comments

Tom Shea
organizer

Tom Shea on

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tom Shea wrote: »
    ...You did blow away our expectations in terms of participation in the events. We do have some issues to work out for next year.

I could be totally off base here, but I think part of the swell in participation here came from the free 30-card Magic decks included in each Schwag bag. (From what I hear, there was a big problem with people raiding the bags and taking out the decks so they got one of each, the tossers)

I got in line fairly early - 10:15 on Friday morning - so I had quite a wait before the doors opened for the keynote. I can't tell you how many games of magic cropped up all over the place, including people who had never played before or those (like me) that hadn't played since the Urza block. I don't know whose idea it was to put those decks in the bags but it was brililant. More companies should follow through and include entire, playable games in the reg kits. I absolutely guarantee a return.

In a more related vein, I would suggest that you may have had more of a line if things had been better publicized. I didn't know about the booster drafts going on until I was already committed to doing something else (D&D crawl), or probably would have plunked down the $15 - you got to keep your deck, and you were guaranteed at least 2 packs as a prize. All for little more than the price of lunch at the con.

Thanks for spending your time entertaining us PAXers, btw.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The booster drafts were ongoing for registration which was a little problematic as we didn't have a steady flow of people to keep firing off drafts.

The drafts also were not guranteed 2 packs each player. They were $15.00 to enter with the prize support being 5-3-2-2 in worldwake booster packs for the top 4 players.

The event schedule was posted on these forums, and was highly visible at our event area. What do you think we could have done in addition to get the word out better?

While the intro decks did get people thinking about magic it was the $5.00 off coupon that seemed to have more of an effect.

We always like to look ahead and improve. Next year we hopefully will have a larger area with more seating, more staffers, and will have someone dedicated to dci look up, & helping players sign up for new dci numbers. Players coming to the event KNOWING their dci number really HELLPS us.

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    While the intro decks did get people thinking about magic it was the $5.00 off coupon that seemed to have more of an effect.

Ummm... what $5 coupon?

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The booster drafts were ongoing for registration which was a little problematic as we didn't have a steady flow of people to keep firing off drafts.

The drafts also were not guranteed 2 packs each player. They were $15.00 to enter with the prize support being 5-3-2-2 in worldwake booster packs for the top 4 players.

The event schedule was posted on these forums, and was highly visible at our event area. What do you think we could have done in addition to get the word out better?

We always like to look ahead and improve. Next year we hopefully will have a larger area with more seating, more staffers, and will have someone dedicated to dci look up, & helping players sign up for new dci numbers. Players coming to the event KNOWING their dci number really HELLPS us.

Tom Shea

Speaking of the $5 coupon ... I realized a few hours after I had signed up for the Intro league that despite handing over a ticket I still paid full price. Whoever was working the registration for that wasn't on top of the ball apparently

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    flatline wrote: »

Ummm... what $5 coupon?

There was $5 off Friday Night Magic coupon in each swag bag.

Tom: Didn't realize you were running Magic events at PAX. I guess I'll be seeing you this weekend at the NE Pokemon regionals.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Sorry, my bad on the booster drafts. Were they running drafts with 4 people? Because I swear the girl that was trying to get me to signup said everyone in the draft would get at least 2 packs.

As far as publicizing your stuff, I don't know, I guess in the scheme of things the Magic events were pretty well covered. I didn't come on to these forums until after PAX though, and on Friday I was kind of in deer-in-headlights mode (PAX virgin), so I missed a lot of stuff due to sensory overload.

flatline on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The $5.00 off coupon that was for either Super Friday Night Magic or The Intro Pack league at PAX East. Players could use at the time of their entry.

See you soon
    Tom

Tom Shea on
This discussion has been closed.