As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i drew NEWER things NOT on paper

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    e...e.a..dd? e-g-a-d-d? Is it egadd? Thats a word right? Cubd Egadd?

I like the " "s

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gooba, I assume.

And I'm not a doody head. :(

Flay on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I see Cuba........I knew he was a fucking communist.

Mustang on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think its just the backwards lower case G that might be throwing you guys off. And yea I kinda see the CUBA thing if you see the 2 O's as an upside down U.

But yes you assume correctly Flay, cookies for everyone!

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2010
    Super Street Fighter 4 please hurry.

badblanka3.jpg

wip pics
    I actually liked my loose concept enough to consider not going into crazy render mode, but then I started tightening things up and went overboard, but at least I'm happy with it.
    badblanka.jpg
    badblanka2.jpg
    badblanka3.jpg

I should probably stop doing things from start to finish in one sitting so I can adjust accordingly to some crits. Feel free to give them to me anyways though!

earthwormadam on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nice one, man! I'm always amazed seeing progress shots from wiggly lines to perfectly crisp ones

so do you sketch stuff on paper or something before moving to digital, or is the first image above actually the first time it sprung out of your head?

p.s. the first progress shot looks eerily like it could be a panel from A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible

Fletcher on
    edited April 2010
    Thanks. Never heard of that comic before, but I like it. Lots!

Sometimes I draw a sketch and scan, but it seems like I'm doing that a lot less lately, and just going straight for it in PS.

earthwormadam on
    edited May 2010
    Wow not been doing much at all lately artwise, but new job/new puppy/new games have really sucked up my time. I cannot let this happen.

I did at least start a few things such as this cd demo cover design for that same metal band I did the poster for. Just a rough layout at the moment. I didn't want to spend much time on it until the band dudes actually decided they wanted to move forward with it. Once and if it gets going I'd love to get some crits.

ODINrough.jpg

By the way it's supposed to be Odin, except more skeletal and badass.
    I used these for references:
    odin.jpg
    swamp.png

earthwormadam on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    at this point, my eyes think he's half-merged with the throne. which is awesome. i dunno if you can do something with that...i'm still really happy over that NBA jam pic a few pages back. good stuff :)

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i feel like you work could benift from you paying more attention to "flow". or you can call it rythm.

Its a purely abstract concept and I usually think of it terms of opposing curves or an "S" rythm.

For a specific example of where I think you broke up the flow with negative effects is the arm holding the toaster(in the blanca thing before odin) From the shoulder down to the tip of the outside finger I feel could be just one solid flowing line and you still have the information on the other side of the arm to describe the bubble anatomy you got going.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure I get what you mean 100%, but looking back at the described area now does make it look pretty problematic. So do you basically think I should've simplified the arm better?

I'll definitely try to keep things like that in mind cause it's not something I usually think too much about. As the image is now it's pretty much a trace job of two separate images pasted together, so it'll look a lot differently once I put some work into it. Thanks for that crit, I'll try to give this one a good rhythm.

Oh, and thanks bunches Curly!

earthwormadam on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this guy calls it force

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Dynamic-Drawing-Animators-Second/dp/0240808452

and hes applying the concept to figure drawing. you can take the force concept and replace anatomy and proportions with design shapes etc..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited June 2010
    whatup peeps

So that metal cover thing may not be going any further which is fine because I didn't really do much, because they have not got back to me so they must have wanted to pass. Maybe they thought it would come out too cartoony, which would make sense looking at most of my stuff.

Just figured I might post this here, since it hasn't been posted anywhere else yet. Its for the WFA site, just a sorta guest page, the other 3 characters are not mine, but are all from the renegades. I know I still have a long way to go with certain things, such as my awful awful hands, I'm trying to get to some life drawing classes, but have so far failed miserably in following through on that. Crits welcome!

WFA3.jpg

Heres the plain ol' inks before I threw a color layer in, and the really crappy pencils if anyone wanted to peak at the stages as I went.
    WFA2.jpg
    WFA1.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, Waffa. Leave it to you to make me miss it.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It looks kind of flat. What if you increased line variation and differences between values in the foreground and background?

Paradise on
    edited June 2010
    Yes SB yes, it is hard to leave, but I know that if I officially go back it will take up a lot of what little spare time I have.

I can def agree with that Paradise, I kinda fudged the line variation for the sake of saving a bit of time. I used pretty much the same brush size, except for the driver anyways. But I would've liked to have a bigger difference in thickness.

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2010
    So over a month and not much to poast, hhrm.

Anyway I am starting another commission for a CD design thingy and would like to start posting WIPs in here so people can tell me what is horribly horribly wrong.

So yeah, just a quick summary on the project goes like this: Its a hiphop mixtape type thing, and I convinced the artist it would be a good idea to do a parody of an epic ManOWar cover. It's this one. Most of his other works in his mixtapes where WWI or WWII themed, but this one has a medieval slant, so going the barbarian route seemed appropriate. Plus I love ManOwar with all my metal guts.

So anyway I'm going to try to reproduce this image in PS with the artists face and a microphone instead of a hammer. Everything else, in theory should look the same.

All I have up until this point is the name of the mixtape replicated in the ManOWar font. I started it in PS and once I got it how I wanted I took it over to Illustrator for vectory goodness. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment, but will likely make a few small alterations to it once I really get in there and examine it more closely. Anyone see anything glaring?

originaltypeface.jpg

progress.jpg

progress2.jpg

progress3.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Firepower sounds way more bad ass than 'Manowar'.

m3nace on
  • FoxFanfareFoxFanfare Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know nothing about fonts or stuff, but the last 'R' seems to lead downwards as if at the end of the title, but then you have the 4 after. It looks a little disjointed to me, but amending the R would mess up what you're doing I guess.

...another useful post by me!

FoxFanfare on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looking suitably heavy. Keep us apprised.

Also, Elisabeth Shue was the 80s.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited July 2010
    M - I'm glad! I admit WanOWar isn't the most badass name around, but I assure you they kick ass in a burning your village down type of way. Kinda how I would imagine a viking opera if something so awesome could exist.

FF - I'm not entirely sure I get whatchu mean cause both the R's are identical, though I think the last one just looks different juxtaposed next to the big 4.

SB - Thanks Squids, and yes, yes she was.

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2010
    I just want to know what freaking genius thought Adventures in Babysitting was a better title than A Night on the Town?

Huh, huh, tell me that one smart guy?

I swear I'm going to end up an old homeless man who blathers on endlessly about movies that no-one can remember.

Mustang on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would try to make the curves on the lower parts of the "F" and "4" as identical as possible.
    also the serifs could stand to be more pronounced- in the "W" for example, you have a curve leading into the serif that isn't in the original and sort of covers up that the serifs are all triangular-based.

Alternatively the PS version you hve there could work very nicely as a ruggedized version

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited July 2010
    Hmm oh yes, all very good points, excluding Mustang of course! But thanks, I'll def be considering these things.

I think I changed up the W because I wanted to match the way I did the E's, but in the end I think I'm going to try to get the W closer to the original and scale back the E's too. Also I def want to punch out the serifs a bit too.

I remember thinking the PS one looked kinda deteriorated and cool, so goign in that direction is a possibility for sures.

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2010
    excluding Mustang of course!

Oh god, it's high school sports day all over again.

Mustang on
    edited July 2010
    It's okay we're all playing kickball now, and you got first ups.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2010
    yay more typography for your mind

from the same project, going to be the subtitle under the FIREPOWER

itsasecrettonoone3.jpg

spoilered for all the fucking work I had to do to get my friends neato handstyle to be well proportioned/symetrical/somewhat readable.
    itsasecrettonoone0.jpg
    itsasecrettonoone1.jpg
    itsasecrettonoone2.jpg
    itsasecrettonoone3.jpg

Had to edit in PS jump back to Illustrator and then back to PS agian before finalizing in Illustrator.

Oh and I think I finished the main title, I just punched out those little points a bit, even though dude I'm doing it for probably wont even notice.

progress4FINAL.jpg

Also an animated gif since Prox has now gotten me addicted to making these little buggers.

greenie.gif

earthwormadam on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate to say it adam, but it took me a good long time of looking to realize that first leter was an "s."

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited September 2010
    greenie.gif

This is so fucking cool.

Paradise on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks Paradise, I think he's like a pickle guy or something!

Also thanks for yer 2 cents Nap, that actually makes me feel a bit better as I thought some of the other ones were harder to make out. The "T's" for example look like something completely different altogether to me.

It's all good though because A) it's graffiti logo with a tinge of metal so it's supposed to be somewhat illegible, B) it's just the subtitle and not as important as the main title, and C) the musician would have been satisfied with the way he originally wrote it without all my changes.

I think it looks a ton better now, and if someone has to wrack their brain trying to read it, then so be it! Hopefully it's not so bad that they can't figure it out after a few minutes though!

earthwormadam on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I read steel with no problem but Secret took a lot of pondering before I saw the "S" and it kinda clicked after that. But that said, I guess I never really got the "its supposed to be hard to read" mentality. If it works for that guy then as long as he's happy i guess :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in love with that "Secret of Steel" type.

Edman on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I think the graffiti mentality is something similar to the metal band logo way of thinking. Fuck everyone who can't read it type shit. I feel the same way to an extent, though I also think things should be readable. I at least wanted to line everything straight and clean it up a bit.

Thank you Edman sir. I want to print some of those up on shirts to sell at shows.

More stuffs soon.

earthwormadam on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    they remind me so much of late eighties c64 titlescreen art.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Did a quick GIS, pretty cool stuff, except for some old horrific Madden title screen I can now never erase from my memory.

UPDATES

Been working on the cover and back some more. Still got a ways to go though.

First I re-traced the main figure and added in the new face. Changed the hammer, and I also altered the sword into the one from Conan the Barbarian, since the CD uses multiple samples from that movie.

fire4FRONTpreview2.jpg

Right now the face has a bit more detail in it, but I would like to get the entire character to an equal level. Since the CD is more about the artist I wanted the face to be more noticable, so I brightened up the head so it's not so shrouded in darkness. Then I just started coloring from scratch while looking at the original so I was in the same ballpark. Then I dropped in the titles just so I could get a feel for how it would look together. The layout is nowhere near final.

fire4FRONTpreview.jpg

Crits about anatomy and light source are unnecessary as the original reference I'm re-creating is pretty wacky in these regards anyways. Plus I already did my own paint-over...
    fire4theprototype.jpg

Any other crits are welcomed. Things that I am going to be working on still...

refining the background and main figure
    laying out the type elements so they fit in with the graphics
    fixing the sword and mic so that the line from the top to the bottom aren't as outta wack

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2010
    The soft edge brush your using is giving it a bit of a carny-art air-brushed look.

Mustang on
    edited September 2010
    I hope to have that fixed once I get in there and fine tune. Did some more work on this last night, off to work for the day, tiiiired.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2010
    I already did my own paint-over...
    fire4theprototype.jpg

:^:

Paradise on
    edited September 2010
    praise crom

fire4FRONTupdate2.jpg

earthwormadam on
    edited October 2010
    Alright I'm gonna call this one done for now. Has a bit of a tangent, but there was really no way around it. Also I fell like it is less of a bad tangent then on the original cover so there's always that.

Fire4frontupdate6FINAL.jpg

Also I think this back is finished as well.

Fire4backFINAL.jpg

Yay for things that are finished.

earthwormadam on