As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health Insurance Help [Solved Enough Lock Please]

MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently applied for blue cross and blue shield but I was turned down because of and I quote "Height/Weight" I'm 6'1" and about 250lbs. They told me to check at the coverageforall.org website to see if I could find a different company.

After filling out their little online questionnaire they pointed back to blue cross and blue shield.

The only reason I haven't had health insurance in the past is because I lived in another country and didn't need US coverage.

Anyone know of some places I should try and look for health insurance?

EDIT: I currently live in Kentucky.

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
MoSiAc on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you employed? What is your employer's health coverage policy? Do you have any pre-existing conditions? How old are you? Do your parents have health insurance through their work, with you as a dependent?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm a contractor employee which means no work place insurance offered. No conditions, 28, can't go through parents since I'm over 21.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait a bit for the healthcare reform thing to kick in?

/got nothin'

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    See I'm still sorta confused how that works? I mean I know I have to have healthcare when it comes out but will it help me get some healthcare at a decent price?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    See I'm still sorta confused how that works? I mean I know I have to have healthcare when it comes out but will it help me get some healthcare at a decent price?

if you're poor, it'll be cheap. It will also mean that blue shield can't deny you coverage. It will still cost you money.

NotYou on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lose weight?

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lose weight?
    Now that he's been rejected, he probably will be rejected for having once been that height/weight.

OP, are you single? Do you have any kids?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, I'm not sure that you are going to want the insurance available in Kentucky, at the moment anyway. This is right about the time they send out annual rate adjustments. Why today, one of my shop's favorite customers, was talking to me about his bill with a 79% rate increase.

I've got Anthem/Blue cross, and I believe they said on NPR, that they're expected to raise their rates by about 30%.

It's not that bad for me, but a lot of people in this state already can't afford health care, precisely because of all the money they've been gouged by having health insurance. The deductibles here are pretty terrible.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Find a job that provides medical insurance.

It's a terrible answer, and I'm sorry, but that's the way the system works in the U.S. right now.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    GenlyAiGenlyAi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Uninsurable because you're 250lbs and 6'1"? Damn.

Anyway, are you <=26? If so -- I'm pretty sure -- you should be able to get back on your parents' insurance. Companies are supposed to start implementing this within 6 mo of the passage of healthcare.

GenlyAi on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're poor enough, you may be eligible for Medcaid or any state program Kentucky might have.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm single and sadly I have a pretty decent job. I wouldn't call myself poor, maybe average. Unless 40k a year is poor?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I'm single and sadly I have a pretty decent job. I wouldn't call myself poor, maybe average. Unless 40k a year is poor?
    Your best bet is probably going to be to get a job that gives you health insurance.

Failing that, if I were in your position, I would probably just go without, and hope to hell I don't get sick or injured.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Try to find catastrophic health insurance. This is the kind that will have a high deductible, but covers hospital stays, ambulance trips, surgeries, etc; but does not cover routine doctor visits, regular labs, and such. For someone of moderate age and health this is good coverage to have because in the event of a major trauma your costs are limited.

And yes, work on losing weight if you want to get full blown coverage. Your BMI puts you in Obese category I, which is a pretty significant risk over the long term. Get down to 225lbs and you'd be classified as simply overweight, or under 190 for 'normal' BMI scale. Health insurance companies don't quite work like life insurance companies when it comes to weight changes, your historical weight doesn't factor in as much with health insurance. If you get down into a lower category call them to get a new quote.

And if you smoke, stop, now.

Also keep in mind that nothing is stopping you from calling your doctor and asking them what their cash price is. You'd be amazed at how affordable some docs are when they get cash in hand and don't have to fuck around with piles of paperwork and asshole insurance companies. If you need to be put on a prescription, make sure the doc knows this and ask them to try and find a generic drug to put you on. The call around to pharmacies to find the best deal. If the price is still too expensive, talk to a pharmacist and ask them what other generics are available that might work for your condition.

edit: Another thing, if you have renters/car insurance, find out what the medical limits are on those and consider raising them. The price difference will be negligible, but it may help cover your ass until you can get something better.

travathian on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is why health insurance is so fucked up in this country. I'm 26, 5'8", 160lbs. I ride my bike over 100 miles per week and run 20 miles per week and I don't smoke. I'm in excellent shape but I had throat surgery for a cyst on my esophagus 6 years ago. So I was denied coverage. Luckily SF has free health care for low income people like me otherwise I'd be screwed if anything terrible happened.

Sorry for going off topic but yeah, shit sucks.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't smoke, and don't ever plan to. I don't get how BMI can classify me as obese. I mean I'm not fat. I don't have trouble moving around, playing sports, etc. My clothes fit nicely. Seems like they would want me to go in for a check up or something to get a real doctors run down of my body before just flat out saying, "Nah, you're too fat."

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Really? What is your waist size? And I don't mean what size pants do you wear way down low. Get a tape measure. Half way between your lowest rib and your hip bone, about where your belly button is. Measure all the way around. If it is >40 you are most definitely obese, and it is an indicator of future disease progression.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It is actually just at 40. Does that still mean I'm obese?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm 6'1" and 180lbs and my waist is a pretty comfy 33/34. So you tell me, you got an extra 6" of fat around your gut, don't you consider that obese? Like I said, your BMI puts you firmly in obese satge I; your waist circumference puts you at greater risk for hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease and other bad crap. It isn't like being at 39.5" is gonna save your bacon. You are most definitely a risk to a health insurer, meaning they either won't accept you or will simply charge you tons extra. Your clothes may fit fine, you may be able to play some hoop, but a crapload of scientific data shows gut fat is dangerous to your long term health.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I guess I'll just go without until I can either get work related insurance or lose the weight.

This can be locked.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    BMI is far from a precise measurement. All it is is a weight/height ratio; your build can have a tremendous effect on the accuracy of it.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.