As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG: Base] Game 22; Human Fleet adrift in space; Cylons Win!

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moving to the President's Office (discarding 1 Engineering - Repair), activating the location.

simonwolf on
  • OsvikOsvik Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well it was not so much a suspicion as the fact that when given the opportunity to look at loyalty cards I tend to like looking at the loyalty of those running the fleet. The President has two cards so if he is a cylon it would hav been 50/50 so i figured I would check out the Admiral

Osvik on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PMing Quorum Card to President Baltar; would you like to draw another or play one from your hand?

Rius on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm.

I'm going to wait and see what other people think we should do about the Cylon we definitely have in our midst - it is either Tyrol or Tigh, and I don't know which one to believe at this stage. Thoughts, opinions, both would be appreciated if you could send them to the President's Suggestion Box.

I have a suggestion about what you could do with my bo-

Shhh, I'm talking here!

Talking to, uh, the good people of this ship. Suggestions, yes, quite.

simonwolf on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, we've only had two rounds of skill checks so far.

First round we had piloting and engineering, of which the only people who could've contributed those were me, the Chief, and Destiny. Tigh could only contribute Leadership and no Tactics cards were found, so he could not have sabotaged it.

Chief could've played either Politics or Leadership if he was not sabotaging.

Second round of voting was open, so no shenanigans. I will note that Tigh must've used Leadership on the first round as no tactics cards appeared. He also contributed two more leadership cards on the second round, leaving him 1 leadership card which he did not wish to use for whatever reason.

Second round Chief played 1 politics. But it's inconclusive since we were already over the threshold and it was open voting.

In my opinion, the suspicious (and I use this term very loosely) activities are as follows:
    Tigh:
    1. Going straight for Tactics drawing, which is only good for voting, launching scouts, or adding to a die roll (including for enemy ships I believe).
    2. Keeping leadership card.

Chief:
    1. Only real person who could've sabotaged the first vote between him and Tigh
    2. Made an inefficient play with his XO, which could also be a mistake as he claims.

Honestly, it's rather up in the air. We could also just do nothing and simply force the Cylon to have to play extremely carefully since the suspicion is already strongly on them.

I will also note, however, Mr. President, that you do have the ability to see which of these two are the Cylons with your Cylon Detector, though we would have to wait till you can next use it.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It seemed like we were likely to pass that second crisis check (with the difficulty being so low), and I didn't want to go all in on leadership and then be unable to contribute to the next leadership check to come up.

It's a shame you didn't just employ your machine, Dr. Baltar.

IAmUnaware on
    edited April 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    I will also note, however, Mr. President, that you do have the ability to see which of these two are the Cylons with your Cylon Detector, though we would have to wait till you can next use it.

My personal preference is to hold off on using that until after we reach the sleeper phase, since things can always change around after that happens.

simonwolf on
    edited April 2010
    Assuming you don't become a cylon yourself after that and use it to sow more discord.

Anyway, my personal vote right now is to simply monitor them for more mistakes and sabotaging, unless the Cylon simply chooses to reveal themselves immediately after this, which might hurt them more than us in the long-run really.

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    I know it is hard to beleive my accusations but I am happy to take a wait and see approach. There are, after all more pressing concerns flying around outside the ship. But I will be watching you Admiral.

And to everyone else, don't say I didnt warn you

Osvik on
    edited April 2010
    Hurm. If we're content to sit on the information for the moment, I'll go on ahead and draw another card from the quorum.

simonwolf on
    edited April 2010
    Second Quorum Card PM'd to Simonwolf.

Turn Progress:
    1. Recieve Skills - 2 Pol, 1 Lead, 1 Eng
    2. Movement Step - Move to President's Office (Discard 1 Eng - Repair)
    3. Action Step - Activate President's Office - Draw 2 Quorum Cards
    4. Crisis Step - Legendary Discovery; Gaius draws 1 Pil
    5. Activate Cylon Ships Step -
    6. Prepare for Jump Step -
    7. Discard and Check for Human Defeat.

The President decides to put the issue of possible Cylon infiltration on the back burner; Meanwhile, an advance scout Raptor team jumps back to Galactica with news of an incredible discovery. Can the fleet decipher the cryptic marker and gain a step on the path towards Kobol?

Crisis - Legendary Discovery
    14 Tactics, Piloting
    Pass: Place this card next to the Kobol Objective card. It counts as 1 distance.
    Fail: -1 Food and destroy 1 raptor.
    (Basestars launch Raiders)

President Baltar has convened an Investigative Committee; please post all your contributions to this Skill Check publicly.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Ah jeeze.

I'll take one Piloting as my card for this round, Rius.

Do we need an investigative committee played?

simonwolf on
    edited April 2010
    This is a very good crisis to pass, I think anything that will help towards that will be useful so another Investigative Commitee may be a good idea.

Having said that I have nothing in my hand that can help for this one.

Osvik on
    edited April 2010
    Random General Request: If you guys send me a PM, can you start the subject line with [BSG] or [BSG: Base]; it'll help me keep things straight since I'm now running a game and playing in one at once, heh.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Frak, I wish I hadn't used that 5 point piloting card on my last action now.

I can still contribute a high amount. I know Tigh should be able to as well as he should have a lot of tactics hoarded up and we have not had to use it for our crises yet. An investigative committee might be nice so I know exactly what to use as I would like to keep at least one card as a contingency.

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    Well, alright then.

Playing Politics 4 - Investigative Committee

simonwolf on
    edited April 2010
    Please post your contributions to this Skill Check directly to the thread; I'll tally up the check in the morning.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    "People of Galactica, this is the XO-- er, Admiral. We've found evidence of Kobol, and I want doubled groups of Raptors out there figuring out exactly where these clues lead. We're on the trail. Don't lose hope."

Tigh contributes:
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout
    5 Tactics - Strategic Planning

IAmUnaware on
    edited April 2010
    Come on Tigh, you're holding back on us. Surely you can spare a little more effort on this search? Ah nevermind, you have a drinking problem if you get too stressed out.

I believe Tom can contribute something? And obviously our President has something to contribute. I believe with their help, we should be able to solve this crisis, barring very bad luck, if I contribute the following:

3 Tactics - Strategic Planning
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout

2 Piloting - Evasive Maneuvers

Assuming we weren't sabotaged on the first check, RBYP have been played from the destiny deck, so 2 of the 6 cards will help us while 4 will hurt us.

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    Well I draw completely the wrong cards for this so

Nothing from me

Osvik on
    edited April 2010
    Waiting on contributions or declarations of "Pass" from Tom Zarek and Admiral Baltar.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Ah, if we're not strictly going to stick to the turn order, I'll throw in my contribution:
    4 Piloting - Maximum Firepower

simonwolf on
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "President Baltar, I still trust you the most out of everyone here, and we have to discuss the debate between Admiral Tigh and Galen.

I suspect it was either an Engineer or a Pilot that sabotaged our first attempts at quelling the witch hunt.

Galen is an Engineer, additionally he accuses Tigh of being a Cylon. Now lets look at the strengths and weaknesses of this claim:

Galen, by suspecting Tigh of being a Cylon, narrows the debate to either Galen or Tigh is a Cylon. Had he claimed that Tigh was a human, the debate could be that any one of us are Cylons. He was under suspicion already, so would he risk the debate to be narrowed down to those two?

Admiral Tigh is picking our course of action, so if he was a Cylon he could definitely lead us on a poor course, or worse into the Cylons themselves. Personally, I suspect Galen, despite the fact that Tigh has more to gain from being a Cylon.

Both are extremely dangerous to have in our fleet and I would prefer if we could throw both of them in the Brig, perhaps with some sanctioned arrest orders? By placing the Chief and Tigh in the brig, with both of them having leadership, we should still be able to function. However, this is no time for it as we have raiders right outside our door. Gaius, if you could release Cylon mugshots to settle the debate, that would be good as well."

An aide ran into the room. "Sorry to interrupt you two, but a legendary discovery may have been found that could lead us to Kobol, the fleet would like your attention."

"A legendary discovery...

This is big. This could be the hope that the people of the fleet need."

!1 Card
    4 Tactics - Strategic Planning

I will probably XO you on my turn Gaius, I suggest that once we get those raiders eliminated, I get XO'd on other turns to draw politics and play Committees to quell any attempts at sabotage.

iamtheaznman on
    edited April 2010
    Crisis - Legendary Discovery
    14 Tactics, Piloting
    Pass: Place this card next to the Kobol Objective card. It counts as 1 distance.
    Fail: -1 Food and destroy 1 raptor.
    (Basestars launch Raiders)

Positive Cards:
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout
    1 Tactics - Launch Scout
    3 Tactics - Strategic Planning
    4 Tactics - Strategic Planning
    5 Tactics - Strategic Planning

2 Piloting - Evasive Maneuvers
    4 Piloting - Maximum Firepower

Negative Cards:
    4 Leadership - Declare Emergency

Total: +16 +6 -4 = 18; Pass!

The fleet, on the strength of increased Raptor research patrols and a heroic effort by both Galactica's officers and the fleet's Political leaders, successfully manages to decipher the marker left behind by the Thirteenth Colony. With this information, the fleet discovers that it is closer to Kobol and the deliverance it promises.

In reaction and counter to the human's elation, the Basestars launch a trio of Raiders each; Apollo finds himself suddenly surrounded by Cylon fighters.

Turn Progress:
    1. Recieve Skills - 2 Pol, 1 Lead, 1 Eng
    2. Movement Step - Move to President's Office (Discard 1 Eng - Repair)
    3. Action Step - Activate President's Office - Draw 2 Quorum Cards
    4. Crisis Step - Legendary Discovery; Gaius draws 1 Pil; Pass! +1 Distance to Kobol.
    5. Activate Cylon Ships Step - Basestars launch Raiders
    6. Prepare for Jump Step - N/A
    7. Discard and Check for Human Defeat; Not dead yet.

Next turn coming up.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Turn 6 - IAmTheAznMan - Tom Zarek

Players:
    1. IAmTheAznMan - Tom Zarek - Press Room - 1 card in hand, drawing 5
    2. IAmUnaware - Admiral Saul Tigh - Command - 3 cards in hand
    3. Dracil - Lee "Apollo" Adama - Piloting Viper @ 9 O'Clock - 3 cards in hand
    4. Osvik - "Chief" Galen Tyrol - Hangar Deck - 5 cards in hand
    5. Simonwolf - President Gaius Baltar - President's Office - 4 cards in hand, 3 quorum cards

Resources:
    Fuel 8. Food 7. Morale 9. Population 12.
    Jump Track: [Start] [No Jump] [No Jump] [-3 Pop] [-1 Pop] [Auto]
    Distance Traveled: 1
    Boarding Party: [Clear] [Clear] [Clear] [Clear] [Game Over]
    Raptors: 4 in Reserve, 0 Destroyed
    Vipers: 3 in Reserve, 0 Damaged, 0 Destroyed
    Nukes: 2
    Galactica Damage: None

Space:
    01 O'Clock: Clear.
    03 O'Clock: 3 Raiders, 1 Viper, 3 Civilians
    05 O'Clock: 1 Viper, 1 Civilian
    07 O'Clock: 2 Vipers, 1 Civilian
    09 O'Clock: 2 Basestars, 6 Raiders, Lee "Apollo" Adama (Viper)
    11 O'Clock: Clear.

Turn Progress:
    1. Recieve Skills - 2 Pol, 2 Lead, 1 Tac
    2. Movement Step - Discard 1 Leadership - Executive Order, move to Command
    3. Action Step - Activate Command; Viper moves from 5 O'Clock to 3 O'Clock and destroys a Raider
    4. Crisis Step - Jammed Assault; see post for details
    5. Activate Cylon Ships Step - N/A
    6. Prepare for Jump Step - N/A
    7. Discard and Check for Human Defeat; not quite.

At the center of a storm of conflicting emotions of hope and fear lies the Press Room on Colonial One, where Tom Zarek is currently being bombarded with questions from the fleet's reporters. They all want to know the same thing...

"Mr. Zarek! What are you doing to help ensure the fleet's safety?"

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Frak, 6 raiders? I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    "People of the Colonial Fleet, it is I, Tom Zarek. Many of you are wondering what we can do in this time of crisis. I propose several alternatives and ask for your opinions, for I am a man of the people.

The first alternative would be to have President Baltar consult with the Quorom in order to solve some of our problems.

I could leave my post and head over to Galatica to order a forced jump, which I can plan strategically. This may lose us some population and with our admiral suspected as a Cylon, he could lead us to a poor destination.

The best course would be to have Tigh command some Vipers to protect our civilians in 3 O'Clock, however I disagree with this action at the time as he could be a Cylon, and this would give him too many opportunities.

Lastly, I could go to Command myself and try to talk a Viper into going to 3 O'Clock and attacking a raider. You probably know by now I am a very convincing man.

I await your feedback."

iamtheaznman on
    edited April 2010
    Jumping is basically 50/50.

Sending a viper to 3 o'clock will really reduce the odds of a civilian ship getting hit. In fact, I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed. I'd also be pretty much toast so we essentially lose 4 cards off that. However, we may be attacked again on Tigh's turn, it all depends on what crises show up. He could also move away our vipers and force our civilian ships to be sitting ducks.

You could also XO me and I could move away and use my power as CAG to order our vipers to wipe out the raiders or simply defend. i.e. I could take 6 shots with that one viper there and hope that kills them all, or move all vipers from 5 and 7 o'clock over and take one shot, which will prevent possible sabotage by Tigh. Or some other combination of the two.

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    "Lee, I appreciate your resolve, but I don't think we need to expend your CAG resources at this moment.

We could move use a Viper in 3 though, what does everyone else think?"

iamtheaznman on
    edited April 2010
    Well, depends on whether you think the Admiral is the cylon and/or our luck with crises. If you think he's the cylon, then jumping might be safer. If you think the Chief's the cylon, then moving a viper and attacking would be better.

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    "As I've mentioned before Lee, I am leaning towards Galen being the Cylon, but the Admiral has way higher chance of messing us up if I'm wrong."

iamtheaznman on
    edited April 2010
    What is your decision, Mr. Zarek?

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    "I hate to make a decision without hearing back from the fleet...but I will try to go through military channels to solve this problem."
    Discard 1 Leadership - Executive Order to move to Command and move the Viper from 5 O'Clock to 3 and shoot at a raider.

iamtheaznman on
    edited April 2010
    Unsure of where loyalties lie in key members of the military establishment, Tom Zarek makes a necessary sacrifice and heads to Command, ordering a Viper to move into position to protect civilian ships and fire on a toaster.

Viper Shooting Raider (1d8=5) Hit! Raider destroyed.

Small progress, but progress indeed. Unfortunately, the Cylons have a plan of their own, and the fleet comes under heavy coordinated fire as many more Cylon ships jump into the system.

Crisis: Jammed Assault
    Instructions;
    1) Activate Raiders
    9 O'Clock Raider shooting Lee (1d8=2) Miss!
    9 O'Clock Raider shooting Lee (1d8=5) Hit!
    1) If it's the 6th shot from a raider and I get hit, then I'll use my card. Otherwise I'll just take the hit.

Lee's Viper is damaged and Lee is moved to Sickbay. Raiders 3-6 at 9 O'Clock fly to 7 O'Clock.

3 O'Clock Raider shooting Viper (1d8=1) Miss!
    3 O'Clock Raider shooting Viper (1d8=8) Hit! Viper destroyed.
    Assuming someone moves more vipers either to 9 or 3 o'clock, I won't use my card unless it's the the last viper in that section or if an 8 is rolled on the viper such that it would get destroyed.

Lee Adama plays 2 Piloting - Evasive Maneuvers

3 O'Clock Raider shooting Viper: Reroll; (1d8=1) Miss! Viper saved.

2) Setup Ships
    1 O'Clock: 1 Basestar, 2 Heavy Raiders
    3 O'Clock: 1 Civilian
    5 O'Clock: 1 Viper, 1 Civilian
    7 O'Clock: 1 Viper, 1 Civilian
    9 O'Clock: 1 Civilian
    11 O'Clock: 4 Raiders

Somewhat heroically, Lee Adama can choose to leap out of the Sickbay bed he's just been put in if he would like to pilot one of the freshly deployed Vipers at 5 or 7 O'Clock. If that's the case, Dracil, then let me know which Viper you want and what your Action is.

Next turn coming soonish.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Well then, I think I'll go to 5 o'clock.

(We have 3 vipers at 7 and 1 at 5 and 2 at 3 right?)

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    My apologies folks, things got pretty busy at work. I'm working on a treat for everyone right now and I should have the next turn update in an hour or less.

Dracil, I'll wait to lock in your choice until I post the turn update and the overall board situation becomes clearer.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Turn 7 - IAmUnaware - Admiral Saul Tigh

bsggame22round7.gif
    Thanks to MrBlarney for the image and to Darian for the quick GIMP tutorial.
    Players:
    1. IAmTheAznMan - Tom Zarek - Command - 5 cards in hand
    2. IAmUnaware - Admiral Saul Tigh - Command - 3 cards in hand, drawing 5
    3. Dracil - Lee "Apollo" Adama - Sickbay - 1 card in hand
    4. Osvik - "Chief" Galen Tyrol - Hangar Deck - 5 cards in hand
    5. Simonwolf - President Gaius Baltar - President's Office - 4 cards in hand, 3 quorum cards

Resources:
    Fuel 8. Food 7. Morale 9. Population 12.
    Jump Track: [Start] [No Jump] [No Jump] [-3 Pop] [-1 Pop] [Auto]
    Distance Traveled: 1
    Boarding Party: [Clear] [Clear] [Clear] [Clear] [Game Over]
    Raptors: 3 in Reserve, 0 Destroyed
    Vipers: 1 in Reserve, 1 Damaged, 0 Destroyed
    Nukes: 2
    Galactica Damage: None

Space:
    01 O'Clock: 2 Heavy Raiders
    03 O'Clock: 2 Raiders, 2 Vipers, 4 Civilians
    05 O'Clock: 1 Viper, 2 Civilians
    07 O'Clock: 4 Raiders, 3 Vipers, 2 Civilians
    09 O'Clock: 2 Basestars, 2 Raiders, 1 Civilian
    11 O'Clock: 4 Raiders

Turn Progress:
    1. Recieve Skills - 2 Lead, 3 Tac
    2. Movement Step - Stay put
    3. Action Step - Activate Command; Viper at 9 O'Clock destroys one Raider
    4. Crisis Step - Water Shortage; President discards 2 cards, Admiral discards 3
    5. Activate Cylon Ships Step - Basestars attack Galactica and damage Command
    6. Prepare for Jump Step - Jump Prep advanced to -1 Pop.
    7. Discard and Check for Human Defeat; Not yet.

Dracil, the new vipers were placed at 5 and 7 O'Clock; which would you like to pilot and what's your action?

New hand sent to Saul Tigh; Admiral, sir, what are your orders?

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, it *has* to be an action right? Or can I move with it? If I can actually move, I'll take the viper from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Otherwise I'll just go to 7 o'clock and shoot a raider.

Edit: It looks like I can move with my action, so I'll go from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

Edit2: Actually, I'll put it to a discussion. I didn't realize we had a civilian at 9 o'clock. Would it be a good time for me to use my CAG ability now?

Edit3: I also just notice now with the full board that Zarek couldn't have taken his action since Tigh was in the command...

Dracil on
    edited April 2010
    I updated the board above to make the front of Galactica clearer.

As for Zarek, well, that's my mistake for not catching it. He initially wanted to XO someone to have them do it, but I sort of made him make a decision after nobody really responded to his request for discussion.

We'll ignore the breach of rules just this once; with the game board image it shouldn't happen again. My apologies!

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    The Admiral wets his lips as he stares up at the DRADIS. Contact, contact, contact.... Too distraught by the situation even to notice Zarek at a nearby console doing things he shouldn't, Tigh wipes his brow and tries to focus. All of a sudden he's feeling very... thirsty.
    I'm not sure what the priority here is. I've been trying to figure out what to do for about twenty minutes now, and I won't delay too much longer, but before I do anything hasty: any ideas?

IAmUnaware on