As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apps] iphone, ipod, ipad - Lets talk about Apps!

• Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Opera is up in the us app store. I'm in wa state and I'm posting from it right now, zoom is kinda funky, noticeably faster than in safari.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey gang, quick question.

I'm contemplating getting an iPod Touch in the next couple months, and I'm not sure of what size to get. I'm going to use my old iPod for music, and only plan to use the Touch for apps. As a gamer, do I need to go for at least the 32? How big is the average app or game, anyway?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm contemplating getting an iPod Touch in the next couple months, and I'm not sure of what size to get. I'm going to use my old iPod for music, and only plan to use the Touch for apps. As a gamer, do I need to go for at least the 32? How big is the average app or game, anyway?

If you plan on using it for movies plus music yes. I constantly wish I would have waited for more space. I have to trim down my music and can only have 1 movie on it with my apps.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »

If you plan on using it for movies plus music yes. I constantly wish I would have waited for more space. I have to trim down my music and can only have 1 movie on it with my apps.

App size can range from below 1mb up to over half a GB (I'm looking at you, Myst). So size varies.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    So hey, Opera Mini got approved and should be available in 24 hours.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/12/opera-mini-for-iphone-approved-will-be-available-for-free/

oh yes, and for free.

reports have it that apparently it's already up in the UK and Australia stores

Anyone know what the Mobile View setting does?

Also, I wish it would lie and say it's Safari so it would still get iPhone-styled sites (for instance, compare Google reader in Safari vs. Opera Mini).

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, while there are definitely things I like in opera mini, I still have safari getting a lot of use and there are definitely things I like it more for

Khavall on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GPS apps can be over a gig... Tom Tom is like two. For the iPad I recommend the Weather Channel HD app and oh so much the Aol IM app. both show off what the increased screen size can do!

I also much prefer the Slacker radio app to Pandora. better audio quality. Premade stations.

Wikipanion and the ipad version are both awesome.

For paid VNC I recommend Remotetap if you have a Mac but it needs a ipad version badly.

useless4 on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I got an iPhone about 3 weeks ago. Paying for personal software remains anathema to me. Paying money for what is the software equivalent of cantrips a lot of the time is anathema to me.
    So don't pay for it then? Tom Cruise isn't going to smash through your bedroom window if you jailbreak your iphone

Azio on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    I got an iPhone about 3 weeks ago. Paying for personal software remains anathema to me. Paying money for what is the software equivalent of cantrips a lot of the time is anathema to me.
    So don't pay for it then? Tom Cruise isn't going to smash through your bedroom window if you jailbreak your iphone

Use free apps? I am confused as to what he means by not wanting to pay for software. I am pretty sure that is common practice among PC/Macs.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    paying money for something like Zen Bound is something I would gladly do every day, if only there existed more things as wonderful as Zen Bound

Azio on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    paying money for something like Zen Bound is something I would gladly do every day, if only there existed more things as wonderful as Zen Bound

is it really that good? I keep hearing people glowing about it, but I guess I don't really get it

Monoxide on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Opera is very impressive, but it won't open these forums!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just directing anyone who gets into the more community-based games to the link in my sig. Though I don't know how long that'll be necessary with the apple-based community coming with 4.0..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

is it really that good? I keep hearing people glowing about it, but I guess I don't really get it

eh, I loved it when it was free on the pc a few years ago. but I can't play the phone version without the controls getting in the way

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    are you sure we're talking about the same game? There's no PC version, and the controls in the iphone version are literally perfect

once you get into it, you forget you're playing a video game, the device disappears and it's like you're really manipulating an object in 3D space

easily the coolest handheld game I've played in years

Azio on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it was called zen bondage (guess why they changed the title) and came out like 3 years ago for free. most if not all of the objects are the same.

it's an awesome game, but every time I try to play the iphone version, the rope keeps getting stuck to random corners and pisses me off as trying to unstick it usually results in it getting stuck somewhere else.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, I sprung on Words with Friends HD ($2.99) and it's easily the best thing on the iPad right now. So simple and awesome -- a Scrabble clone with asynchronous online multiplayer via Push notification, so it's like "Scrabble by mail" on that gorgeous iPad screen. I have one game running with a friend and two others with random peeps online and it's really great. I've been doing grad work at home, but I can get a message when it's my turn, wake up the iPad, pick at it for a few minutes and then go back to working. You can also have a chat window running, but I haven't really tried it yet.

I'm assuming you can play cross-platform with iPhone people; my handle was already taken, so I'm now christened "Lunker HD," and I welcome the chance to throw down with anyone here. Send me an invite! :D

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Use free apps? I am confused as to what he means by not wanting to pay for software. I am pretty sure that is common practice among PC/Macs.

I'm mostly using free apps. And I am thinking I Shall break the gaol.

But I've never payed for any non-game application on any platform because I exclusively use opensource or freeware software.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought Atomic Web Browser earlier today and I'm really enjoying it. Real tabs, multiple search engines, configurable multi finger gestures and ad blocking are the major reasons - also not randomly reloading tabs. The one feature I'd like to see added is multiple home pages.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's an awesome game, but every time I try to play the iphone version, the rope keeps getting stuck to random corners and pisses me off as trying to unstick it usually results in it getting stuck somewhere else.
    Ah yeah, sometimes you have to tilt the phone and use two fingers to try and goose the rope out of whatever nook it's caught on -- these are the moments where the flow is broken and I suddenly appreciate how engrossing the game can be. I honestly feel this helps the game rather than hindering it.

Azio on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Im posting from Opera now. It works, browsing on an iphone is very laborous though.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah yeah, sometimes you have to tilt the phone and use two fingers to try and goose the rope out of whatever nook it's caught on -- these are the moments where the flow is broken and I suddenly appreciate how engrossing the game can be. I honestly feel this helps the game rather than hindering it.

I'm not a fan of Opera for iPhone. The zooming really drives me crazy and it butchers pages (for me, at least).

if I'm ever in the situation where I don't have a 3G signal or WiFi then I might use it because it really is blazing fast. Otherwise I'll stick to Safari.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little disappointed with the alternative browsers for the iPad as well. iCab is nice, but I wish it had a normal tab interface and it's a little buggy. Atomic Web Browser has real tabs, but it renders pages slow as fuck and is even buggier than iCab.

I'll keep iCab around because it supports file downloads, but Atomic was a waste of a dollar unless they can fix the issues.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Weird, doesn't seem any slower to me and the only bug I've seen is that it stops accepting input if you somehow get two dialoges open at once.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I want Total Annihilation on the iPad so bad. I assume the iPad could do it since my humble PC 13 years ago could do it, right?

Someone make it happen, plz, k, tnx bai.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For anyone who played the Transport Tycoon games on the PC, there appears to be an iPad clone available.
    Link

Metallikat on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "The Item you are trying to find is not located in the U.S. Store."

Mmmkay. It get pulled?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Im posting from Opera now. It works, browsing on an iphone is very laborous though.

That is because most websites aren't built around the control style of the iPad. I expect that to change though, because Apple is pushing hard on HTML5 and more and more sites will want to be "ipadabble" because people with iPads will spend 600.00 dollars on a fucking toy box with only a few toys in it. And proceed to continue spending money on mini-toys to add to the box.

I love my iPad and the more these things get out the more people want them. Apple has this corner on lockdown for a while. Unless the developer community stands up and says "FUCK YOU" for the shit they pulled with Adobe... but I think I would win the lottery twice before that ever happened.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "The Item you are trying to find is not located in the U.S. Store."

Mmmkay. It get pulled?

Yep, pulled. Damnit.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What a shame.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    elevature wrote: »

I know I'm late to the party but MY GOD. When it just turns into unintelligible screeching I laughed so hard I cried.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, tax return showed up today. I just ended up with an brand new 3GS. I'm already trolling for prime free apps. It is unfortunate that the "Top free apps" list is about 90% demo versions of non free programs.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I've figured out how to sneak in custom ringtones. I'm currently using the 'phone' noise Jack Black makes at the beginning of the Friendship Test.

Trolling for decent free apps, I have thus far settled upon

Pandora, naturally. I may snag Slacker Radio also, I understand they have an even bigger song library.

iheart Radio, a radio station streaming app.

Wikipedia applet, Google Earth, Weather Channel, iTv for tv& movie listings, those sorts of standard issue apps.

I grabbed Layar, a 'reality browser' that is supposed to be able to find articles and reviews and webpages about landmarks and businesses you take pictues of. As I live in a one-horse town, I can't really try it out til I go somewhere.

I played with VNC Lite and managed to get it working. My phone can now control my PC as long as it's on my wireless. The pointing and clicking is awkward, as you can either have it try to click right where your giant sausage finger roughly prods (and hence obsucres) the screen, or at a point arbitrarily above your finger where you can see clearly but have little idea exactly where the click will land.

I found some entertaining free games, such as Babel Rising, a sort of counter tower-defense where you are a god trying to keep the plebes from building a tower, using powers such as holy lighting, fire rain, floods, wind, earthquakes, all controlled with various gestures. Sweep two fingers down to rain fire, drag one finger to aim lightning bolts, sweep two fingers across for a tidal wave, shake the phone for an earthquake, etc.

Still on the lookout for other well rated free apps. Its difficult to separate the true free apps from the lite/limited demo versions. The App store is useless for that. Googling has been marginally more helpful.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got Crystal Defenders on my PS3 over the weekend. Is the iphone app basically the same? I might snag it on there if its a good port.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The exact same from what I can tell.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    Still on the lookout for other well rated free apps. Its difficult to separate the true free apps from the lite/limited demo versions. The App store is useless for that. Googling has been marginally more helpful.

The NPR app is worth a download... same with NASA's app.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    For a buck or two, the games "Let's Golf" and "Aurorra Feint" were worth every penny.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Erandus wrote: »

The NPR app is worth a download... same with NASA's app.

Will look into those, thank you good sir.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShellyBeeShellyBee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cows in SPACE!!!!!!!

ShellyBee on
    I want to get away, I want to fly, away.
    I also want more sleep!
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys see this?

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Someone from apple left the prototype for the next Iphone in a bar after a night of drinking. Gizmodo dissected it. Has apple guts, has 4.0 OS on it. Has a higher res screen. Front facing camera. Back camera has a bigger lens and flash. Very different look.

Apple considers it Stolen. Whooops. Somebody is getting fired.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I am now glad I got over my moment of weakness last week and did not get the 3Gs; newer thinner sexier iPhone 4.0 will be mine! Also video calling and ham dispensing.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.