As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Take out . . . and tipping?

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
If you order take out from a restaurant, are you supposed to tip? Or is that only if you're eating "in house"?

LadyM on

• geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    tip for delivery and being waited on. definitely not picking stuff up.

geckahn on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've heard both sides, but I don't do it.

I tip for service, not for the cooks to cook and box me a meal. The manager is the one who usually puts it in the box anyways.

Do you tip the Chinese food people if you pick up Chinese food, or the pizza people for cooking you a pizza?(different if they deliver it to you)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the cashier has big titties and a nice ass, sure.

It really depends. Is there a lot of prep work involved in getting the food? Is it a huge order? Do you eat there a lot and they know your name? If the answer is no, I usually wouldn't.

I tip when I go pick up food from my Thai place because they know me and adjust the order to suit my tastes. That and the cashier is hot. If they were saying "no substitutions" all the time and the cashier looked like Mikhail Gorbachev, I wouldn't.

GungHo on
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only place I tip for carry out is El Charro because they grab me a drink and ask if I want chips and Salsa if there is a wait time before when the food is ready. I figure that's worth a couple of bucks. I don't tip to pick up pizza, or even at places like Chilis because they don't do anything to deserve it just hand me my food.

3drage on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depends entirely. If the person at the counter takes my order and then assembles a nice little package of utensils and all that jazz I might throw a buck in the jar if I like them. I also tip at take out counters i frequent because they remember me and I get faster service and sometimes a discount.

When I worked at a pizza place takeout counter tips were appreciated but never expected. We didn't put out a tip cup or anything like that. Regulars who got to know us would typically throw us a buck and tourists often told us to keep the change. But never anything like always 10% or anything like a waitress.

VisionOfClarity on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the bring out the food to me while I wait in the car, I usually tip a buck or two.

Kyougu on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It depends on how often you pick up from the place. If you're known at the place as a tipper or good tipper, they are more likely to go out of their way to ensure your stuff is there fast, is made well, and sometimes, will even throw in surprises of the good kind. If you're picking up from a place you don't plan on eating at often, then don't worry about it, though.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We often would bump up regulars who tipped to the front of the line. So if it was a 30+ minute wait for a pizza and a regular tipper placed an order for pick up we always bumped them to a 15 minute wait instead. You scratch our back, we scratch yours.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tipping for restaurant take out?
    I don't think you're under any social obligation whatsoever. I would only even consider it if I was a dine-in regular as well.

Deebaser on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The way I see it, a tip is reward for two things*: good food, and good service. I don't get take out unless I know the place makes good food, so that part is a given. After that, if the food is ready when they say it will be, and if the person working cash is pleasant, I don't need any more reasons to tip.

I live in Canada. Tips are pure bonuses to the best of my knowledge. None of that wages from tips nonsense here.

Grid System on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tip for takeout from a place next to my office. The bartender takes the order/packs it/etc, plus I really like the place ... so why not give them a couple bucks :)

As a rule, most places I doubt I'd leave a tip.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited April 2010
    I'll add to my previous post, I do actually tip takeout under two conditions:

Speed
    If I'm a regular

If I have to wait more than 2 minutes to have someone come to the register to check me out. Or if someone in front of me is getting their order processed and I have to wait (I'm looking at you friendly's) then I don't tip. If it's good food, and they know me, and I get in and out within a good period of time, bam, tip.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I'll add to my previous post, I do actually tip takeout under two conditions:

Speed
    If I'm a regular

If I have to wait more than 2 minutes to have someone come to the register to check me out. Or if someone in front of me is getting their order processed and I have to wait (I'm looking at you friendly's) then I don't tip. If it's good food, and they know me, and I get in and out within a good period of time, bam, tip.

Wait. WHAT? If you happened to get there and someone is in line in front of you that's somehow the restaurants fault and you're going to stiff them? That's some serious silly goosery.

I tip 5 - 10% on takeout.

Your food is being packaged and assembled thoughtfully (bagged, utensils, napkins, etc...) and you're being waited on in a way.

As well, a lot of servers and bartenders have to tip out based on a portion of their food sales. So if you come in, get takeout, then stiff them on a tip, you've just taken money out of their pocket.

Esh on
    edited April 2010
    No, if they ordered ice cream or a meal and they wait until the meal/food is done. Not that they're ordering their food.

Friendly's is the biggest shitup of that.

bowen on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's customary to tip around 10% for a take-out order from a restaurant. Usually the person who's getting everything together for you is the bartender, and they're usually plenty busy already. If they're taking time to pack up your order, they're missing out on drink orders that they make a lot more off of in terms of tips.

That said, I don't tip at a place that is a "take-out" place where their only business is take out orders. I figure it's all part of the price.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The way I see it, a tip is reward for two things*: good food, and good service. I don't get take out unless I know the place makes good food, so that part is a given. After that, if the food is ready when they say it will be, and if the person working cash is pleasant, I don't need any more reasons to tip.

I live in Canada. Tips are pure bonuses to the best of my knowledge. None of that wages from tips nonsense here.

Even very nice places pay their wait staff absolute shit. However, I had a roommate who was a lovely young girl who served tables at a wine bar for established gentlemen, and would often make a couple of hundred bucks a day and would be several business cards richer by the end of the week.
    She never called any of them, and we made a wall of shame in our apartment with them.

Robman on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't usually do it, and as far as I know there's no obligation to. Though some places are keeping a tip jar by the counter, so maybe they want that to change. When I know it's going to take some time and I get some water or whatever then I might leave 10%.

What I have more of a problem with are places that operate half way between fast food and a normal food. You go in and get a table, they take your order, bring you your food, some cups, a pitcher of water, and then go do something else. From there you're on your own. I still tip the usual 20%, but sometimes I get confused. It's mostly in Koreatown or when I go out for pho with friends and the food is so inexpensive, but still.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited April 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    I don't usually do it, and as far as I know there's no obligation to. Though some places are keeping a tip jar by the counter, so maybe they want that to change. When I know it's going to take some time and I get some water or whatever then I might leave 10%.

What I have more of a problem with are places that operate half way between fast food and a normal food. You go in and get a table, they take your order, bring you your food, some cups, a pitcher of water, and then go do something else. From there you're on your own. I still tip the usual 20%, but sometimes I get confused. It's mostly in Koreatown or when I go out for pho with friends and the food is so inexpensive, but still.

There's an obligation. Trust me. We curse your name when you don't tip on takeout.

Esh on
    edited April 2010
    Well that's news. I should have asked my sister; she works in food service and for that I always tip at least 20%. I hear the stories.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Never have I EVER heard about tipping on take-out. Delivery, sure! but not when you go and pick it up. And not once have I gotten shit over it.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Never have I EVER heard about tipping on take-out. Delivery, sure! but not when you go and pick it up. And not once have I gotten shit over it.

You probably did, in the brown sauce on your next order.

Robman on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What Esh said. I used to work at a chain steakhouse that had a "take away" window. The people working that window get paid minimum wage, just like the servers, except most people don't tip them. They bust their ass boxing orders, filling drinks, polishing silverware in their spare time. They work every bit as hard as a server, in my observation. I always tip take out at least 10%. They definitely deserved it where I worked.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm an absolute pushover. If I was paying cash for takeout, I wouldn't tip, but if the credit card sheet I have to sign has a blank for tip, I fill it in. It's like a psychological difference between "not tipping" and "leaving a $0 tip".

Delzhand on
    edited April 2010

You have lived a very sheltered life. Also, restaurant staff hate you. You should try working in one. :P

EDIT: And no employee who values his job is going to berate you for not tipping. That's a fast track to the unemployment line. Let me reiterate, go work in a restaurant.

Esh on
    edited April 2010
    Most of the places I go are small enough that the people who are getting me the take away are the same people that would be seating and serving me. That should have been a clue.

Page- on
    stream
    edited April 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm an absolute pushover. If I was paying cash for takeout, I wouldn't tip, but if the credit card sheet I have to sign has a blank for tip, I fill it in. It's like a psychological difference between "not tipping" and "leaving a $0 tip".

This.

I actually just asked a couple of friends, and they never heard of tipping take out either.

Weird. Now I feel like an asshole for not tipping.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited April 2010

This.

I actually just asked a couple of friends, and they never heard of tipping take out either.

How old are you and your friends?

Esh on
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »

You have lived a very sheltered life. Also, restaurant staff hate you. You should try working in one. :P

Spoken like a true server. Do you tip the pharmacist at your local drug store? What about the florist when you go to pick up flowers? Or the baker when you go to pick up your kid's birthday cake from the grocery store?

You're fucking kidding yourself if you think tipping on take out is expected. Stop trying to make your job sound more important than it really is. You do manual labor for a living, you don't like it or think the pay sucks, do something about it besides whine. The waiter at a restaurant at least provides me with value added service, servers? Get the fuck out.

travathian on
    edited April 2010

This.

20-30. My parents haven't even heard of it either.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't heard of tipping take out before. Is it a new/recent trend?

Protein Shakes on
    edited April 2010
    travathian wrote: »

Spoken like a true server. Do you tip the pharmacist at your local drug store? What about the florist when you go to pick up flowers? Or the baker when you go to pick up your kid's birthday cake from the grocery store?

You're fucking kidding yourself if you think tipping on take out is expected. Stop trying to make your job sound more important than it really is. You do manual labor for a living, you don't like it or think the pay sucks, do something about it besides whine. The waiter at a restaurant at least provides me with value added service, servers? Get the fuck out.

Ah, another person who's never worked at a restaurant before.

Besides the fact that I've put your order together after receiving it from the kitchen (boxing, bagging, utensils, napkins, etc...) I've had to take time away from my immediate customers to deal with you. Often causing my in house service to suffer. Generally, you love to call at the busiest times (middle of a rush) instead of thinking ahead and doing it a proper time. You also rarely know what you want before you get on the phone and often times don't even have the menu with you. I've had people actually ask me to read off entire menus to them before.

Trust me, tips for take out are deserved, so take the Mr. White attitude elsewhere, it never was cool.

Esh on
    edited April 2010

This.

Well, honestly, you're out of the loop then. It's been standard for as long as I can remember (mid-30s).

Esh on
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

Well, as far as I can tell, the only thing that having worked or working in a restaurant gives you is a massive sense of entitlement.

You should get over it, seriously. It is the customer who determines who/what deserves a tip. Not the restaurant worker.

Protein Shakes on
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hold on, if you're getting paid minimum wage ($7.50 or whatever it is now) you shouldn't be getting a tip. You're already getting paid to do your job. If you're getting paid what a waiter gets paid (like 2 bucks an hr) and getting a ~$20 check then you should be getting a tip.

Places like Chili's and Applebee's that have take out to go have a person in the back standing there taking call in orders and watching the cameras or windows and taking the orders out to the cars who gets paid minimum wage (usually) to do that job. They do not need a tip. If you have a bartender or waitstaff doing the boxing and taking out the food then they are having to stop what they're doing and take care of you. These people should be tipped. Just know how the place operates where you are getting your food.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010

Well, as far as I can tell, the only thing that having worked or working in a restaurant gives you is a massive sense of entitlement.

You should get over it, seriously. It is the customer who determines who/what deserves a tip. Not the restaurant worker.

This should not turn into a general tipping thread, but until you've actually worked as a waiter or a bartender, you really don't have much authority or say as to what is deserving of a tip or not.

The world would be a much nicer place if everyone was conscripted into one year of restaurant work. My mother always told me, "If you don't have enough money to tip, you don't have enough money to eat out."

Anyway, I'm not going to respond to anything else unless it has directly to do with the OPs question. I'm not about to get into a flamewar with the uninformed.

Esh on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010
    This isn't a debate forum.

Tube on
    edited April 2010
    Nastyman wrote: »
    Hold on, if you're getting paid minimum wage ($7.50 or whatever it is now) you shouldn't be getting a tip. You're already getting paid to do your job. If you're getting paid what a waiter gets paid (like 2 bucks an hr) and getting a ~$20 check then you should be getting a tip.

Places like Chili's and Applebee's that have take out to go have a person in the back standing there taking call in orders and watching the cameras or windows and taking the orders out to the cars who gets paid minimum wage (usually) to do that job. They do not need a tip. If you have a bartender or waitstaff doing the boxing and taking out the food then they are having to stop what they're doing and take care of you. These people should be tipped. Just know how the place operates where you are getting your food.

Just so you know, there are many states (Oregon and California to name two) where waiters/bartenders get paid minimum wage.

Esh on
    edited April 2010

This.

Well, honestly, you're out of the loop then. It's been standard for as long as I can remember (mid-30s).

I mean like, if I have extra change that they give back I'll put it in their "lol tips plz :) " jar that they have out, but this is something that I just never heard of.

It's almost like tipping at Mcdonalds. They prepare your food, they box it, they put straws and ketchup and shit in the bag, and they probably deal with a lot of shit just like the take out guys. Are you saying we should tip them too? I'm honestly curious.

Edit: didn't see the posts before mine. Never mind.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have not done that job. But around here you don't get paid shit to serve food. So I tip very generously.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010
    This isn't a debate forum.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.