As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apple To Developers: Fuck You

• TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Donkey Kong do you not see any part of that ridiculously complex last paragraph which perhaps suggests the approach iTunes takes is in fact completely counter-intuitive, overly complicated and misleading in it's messages?

For example, the typical interpretation of "synchronization" is a two-way transaction. Not wiping the fucking device of anything on it previously. Or taking the prerogative to wipe the device unless it's specified before connected to the computer?

You connect the device, iTunes throws up a lengthy explanation of the situation and provides three buttons:

(Cancel) (Transfer Purchases) (Erase and Sync)

Well that's no good, I don't want either of those things. You hit cancel. The iPod is now in the side bar. You click on it. You press this option:

itunes_manual.jpg

Done. Drag whatever. I was wrong before when I said the home computer would need settings changed. It doesn't. You only have to do that once on one computer ever. Even if it's your home machine.

When I tick that box I get two buttons, Apply and Cancel. When I choose Apply, iTunes wants to erase my iPhone again. No dragging for me, come back one year?

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's strange. I can check that box and hit apply without any messages. Then I can drag songs on individually.

When I UNcheck it, iTunes says: "Are you sure you don't want to manually manage music and videos... All existing content will be replaced with content from your iTunes library." Which makes sense because you're switching back to automatic mode.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't used iTunes since the first version to release on PC. So... my story was a bit dated. I could give a shit what the process for "manual management" is in 2010 - in my day, the process was to mount the ipod as a hard drive and go digging through hidden folders named "f01, f02, f03, f04... f45.." etc.

nescientist on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think it's retarded. I hear people say all the time how they just want a player they can drag files on and off of. UGH. I would hate that. I hated it back when MP3 players first came out and I hate it now. It's such shit! I have a large music collection and I like software that manages it intelligently like a database and loads up my players automatically with what I'm currently listening to. Anything new, anything played recently, anything by specified artists, anything on specified playlists. It's incredibly flexible and automatic. I cannot conceive of why anyone would want it any other way. It seems like such an immense hassle.

That said, there are aspects of it that are annoying. The way the files on the devices are hidden, the way you can't two-way sync anything but purchases. But that does not come anywhere close to how annoying the fully manual solution is.

I prefer to do all the ultimate decision making for myself. If I want something on my music player, I'll damn well put it on there. I don't want the damn computer deciding what to put on and take off.

http://www.mlipod.com/

Azio on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's strange. I can check that box and hit apply without any messages. Then I can drag songs on individually.

When I UNcheck it, iTunes says: "Are you sure you don't want to manually manage music and videos... All existing content will be replaced with content from your iTunes library." Which makes sense because you're switching back to automatic mode.

The problem which I was complaing about was that it didn't replace it. It just pretend to delete that 10 gigs by making it invisible to itunes and marking it as 'other'.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think it's retarded. I hear people say all the time how they just want a player they can drag files on and off of. UGH. I would hate that. I hated it back when MP3 players first came out and I hate it now. It's such shit! I have a large music collection and I like software that manages it intelligently like a database and loads up my players automatically with what I'm currently listening to. Anything new, anything played recently, anything by specified artists, anything on specified playlists. It's incredibly flexible and automatic. I cannot conceive of why anyone would want it any other way. It seems like such an immense hassle.

That said, there are aspects of it that are annoying. The way the files on the devices are hidden, the way you can't two-way sync anything but purchases. But that does not come anywhere close to how annoying the fully manual solution is.

I prefer to do all the ultimate decision making for myself. If I want something on my music player, I'll damn well put it on there. I don't want the damn computer deciding what to put on and take off.

http://www.mlipod.com/

Is that even necessary? Winamp can manage ipods without any plugins in Winamp 5.

Dehumanized on
    edited April 2010
    ml_ipod is the original plugin and arguably better than the default

the point is mostly that you don't have to use itunes. there's all kinds of free ipod management plugins out there.

you can have the great hardware and day-to-day experience of the ipod without having to sperg out over how awful itunes is

Azio on
    edited April 2010
    The only reason ipods came up is as an excuse for why anyone would want to use the crappified windows port of iTunes (though honestly there are better media library managers for OSX as well). With this ml_ipod thing even that reason goes out the window.

My roommate's core2 laptop takes ages to load up around 30k songs in iTunes, while my atom netbook loads the exact same playlist instantly in Foobar2000 (just as a pentium freaking 2 would be able to, because there is no good goddamned reason for any computer to struggle with handling a 30,000-item list. No, album art is not an excuse.)

nescientist on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    you can have the great hardware and day-to-day experience of the ipod without having to sperg out over how awful itunes is

And can you tell me what about the hardware and day-to-day makes it better than the competition?

I've owned an ipod. I've played with other people's ipods. They are not BAD devices, in any regard, but I also don't really see any regard that they could be call superior in (aside from third party support.)

Evander on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honestly these days between Winamp and iTunes I haven't yet found a satisfactory MP3 player. Everyone wants to load the library into a custom database of some kind, rather then use MP3v2 to tag the information onto the files. I mean, I get that the database is faster - but you can lose them. Why can't we do both?

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2010
    foobar is pretty awesome, if you can get it to work

Azio on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Whenever people complain about iTunes, they inevitably say things that aren't true or blame Apple for wiping their iPod when they clicked a bunch of buttons without reading and understanding the warnings. So here goes, a short post on iTunes use and behavior:

You can redownload everything you've purchased on iTunes. You just have to call Apple and ask.
    This is still bullshit of the highest order. I fail to understand why I can download as many copies of a game I purchased over Steam - when those copies, individually, are worth a shitload more than a given song - but I can't redownload my music at will via iTunes. Total bullshit.

I'd just like to point out, you should blame the music industry for that one, not Apple. The whole download once and that's it is almost certainly a condition of the initial agreement that allowed Apple to sell music on the iTunes Music Store in the first place.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2010
    Whenever people complain about iTunes, they inevitably say things that aren't true or blame Apple for wiping their iPod when they clicked a bunch of buttons without reading and understanding the warnings. So here goes, a short post on iTunes use and behavior:

You can redownload everything you've purchased on iTunes. You just have to call Apple and ask.
    This is still bullshit of the highest order. I fail to understand why I can download as many copies of a game I purchased over Steam - when those copies, individually, are worth a shitload more than a given song - but I can't redownload my music at will via iTunes. Total bullshit.

I'd just like to point out, you should blame the music industry for that one, not Apple. The whole download once and that's it is almost certainly a condition of the initial agreement that allowed Apple to sell music on the iTunes Music Store in the first place.

Because only one party is involved in contract negotiations?

Evander on
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a service that exists with some stupid limitations than a non-existent service that is perfect. Contract negotiates involve give and take on both sides and I'm sure Apple had to give that one to the RIAA in order to take the ability to sell the music at all.

Premier kakos on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate iTunes because:

1) The fucking thing makes me use iTunes to access the iStore (or whatever the fuck it's called), leaving me navigating the worst online store interface ever without even the curtosy of lubbing my ass up first by letting me use a functional web browser.

2) Apple's shit is like malware. I haven't installed Quicktime in like a year. It kept demanding to install iTunes. Like, once a week at least. No one in my house owned an iPod Apple, fuck off!

shryke on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honestly these days between Winamp and iTunes I haven't yet found a satisfactory MP3 player. Everyone wants to load the library into a custom database of some kind, rather then use MP3v2 to tag the information onto the files. I mean, I get that the database is faster - but you can lose them. Why can't we do both?

What is an MP3v2 tag? I'm only familiar with the standard ID3 tags in MP3s, which iTunes more often than not updates if you set them in the program (I think there's been a few times where it hasn't, but it's rather rare).

On the topic of Tags, that's actually one reason I prefer iTunes+iPod to the other devices out there.

I have a rather large mp3 library, collected and hobbled together from various means over the years. And with this comes a chaotic mess of organization and tagging, or lack thereof.

With my first MP3 player, an MP3-CD player, I would have to take the earlier incarnation of this ramshackle collection, go into a CD burner program, and pick and choose all the files I wanted, all within around 700+MB, all neatly arranged into little folders because that was the only real way to keep them organized. And if you realized a tag was wrong? Well, it was either live with it or make an entirely new CD.

Such was the case wiht my next few players, also MP3-CD based. Eventually, I got my first hard-drive based player: A Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra.

This player, similar perhaps in some regard to an iPod and iTunes, came with it's own software to load music onto the device. This involved a complicated measure of finding the folder on the PC Through the software, finding the music in question, and pulling it over into either a library or a playlist* to load it up. Needless to say, this took forever and was a pain in the ass to do. Oh, and if you changed your tags to be better organized, if memory serves, you'd have to go and put the song back in there all over again.

Eventually, the headphone jack on the player gave out and I moved from XP to Vista, where it turns out the Zen Jukebox Xtra would not actually work with it unless I gave it a firmware update.

That would wipe the device completely.

Needless to say... no.

So, I wound up upgrading to the more recent model of the Creative Zen. A color screen! An FM Radio! Video support! Other assorted nick-nacks! And now it's own program I had to install to use the thing properly if I wanted to organize my music into Playlists and the like. And it worked like a hard drive, so I could just plug it in and drag and drop my music!

But of course, if I ever changed a tag to better reflect the details of the song, I would again have to dig through this, delete the old file in some fashion, move the new file over and, if the filename wasn't the same, re-add it to my playlists, all through a slow and rather user-unfriendly program. Oh sure, it was workable and understandable, but it was by no means convenient.

Then, just last December or so, I finally got my first iPod, hell, my first Apple anything: A 64GB iPod touch. Now, iTunes had already been my music player of choice for a long time because I found it useful, liked the way I could get it to organize my music, and the search function worked in a very user friendly manner, great for when the mood strikes. I'd had some playlists put together already, but nothing all together spectacular, due to my browsing habits.

I plugged my iPod into the computer. And, lo and behold, my data started getting put on the thing, aside from a brief problem where I didn't seem to understand that sliding the lock bar, while syncing, would cancel the sync instead of just letting me access the thing to play with it while it synced.**

And, thanks to the way iTunes handled my music and it's syncing with the device, no longer do I have a problem were, if I re-tag something will I have to go through a complicated process of replacing the file. It's there, iTunes knows what it is, knows where it is and where it's supposed to go and will sync it accordingly. And, with iTunes as my player, all I have to do to add something to my iPod is just listen to the thing period. And then it's added to the iPod's library next time I sync it up. And now, instead of trying to deal with a complicated mess of loading music on a player, all I need do is some simple tending to of the files while the program handles the more complicated and burdensome tasks.

*the latter being, in my opinion, the better option because no way would you easily find that song ever again if you dropped it in there. Of course, you could drop it into the library and later on drop it from the PC folder into a playlist, but then why not just put it in there to begin with?

**Despite, you know, the thing saying that doing so would cancel the process. I can wind up on the dense side of things sometimes.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a service that exists with some stupid limitations than a non-existent service that is perfect. Contract negotiates involve give and take on both sides and I'm sure Apple had to give that one to the RIAA in order to take the ability to sell the music at all.

Didn't it take a lot to just get the RIAA to budge on non-DRMed music in the iTunes Store?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sorry it's ID3v2 not MP3v2.

ID3v2 is the next-gen tagging format for MP3s and related files - basically it's a field-based system with no fixed data structures, so you can store any type of information you want in the tag.

With this, existing, and being backwards compatible with ID3v1 (i.e. you can have both in the one file), there is no reason that every music application should not be synchronizing it's tagging data with the actual files themselves.

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2010

I'm pretty sure that Zune allows multiple downloads, and they've had non-DRM music since before ITunes did.

So, does the RIAA just like MSoft more, or what?

Evander on
    edited April 2010

I'm pretty sure that Zune allows multiple downloads, and they've had non-DRM music since before ITunes did.

So, does the RIAA just like MSoft more, or what?

picard-facepalm.jpg

Zune allows multiple downloads because it's a subscription model. I know Zune allows you to keep 10 songs permanently each month and I don't know about those, so you might be right there.

Also, Microsoft did not have non-DRM music before Apple. Microsoft actually added the ability to download DRM-free songs a couple months after Apple started adding DRM-free songs to the iTunes Music Store. Way to lie/be wrong.

But again, you're talking about a music store that came after Apple and coming from a company that has a lot more money than Apple. So, a) Apple already paved the way for the industry and proved that the downloadable music model is viable and thus Microsoft could negotiate from a stronger position, and b) Microsoft's additional money probably allows them more leverage in negotiations.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2010
    I'm talking about the songs you purchase, goose, not Zune Pass.

Evander on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you can redownload purchased songs off the zune marketplace infinity times -- unless the music has been pulled from the marketplace (which has happened to one of the albums I've purchased), in which case you might be screwed

it works almost like XBL marketplace in that regard

Dehumanized on
    edited April 2010
    But again, you're talking about a music store that came after Apple and coming from a company that has a lot more money than Apple. So, a) Apple already paved the way for the industry and proved that the downloadable music model is viable and thus Microsoft could negotiate from a stronger position, and b) Microsoft's additional money probably allows them more leverage in negotiations.

Okay, this is the really important part.

If Apple negotiates one contract, and then the RIAA gives MSoft a MUCH better deal, that gives Apple grounds to change things around.

It's very telling that you jump right to the idea that MSoft is paying people off before you consider the idea that Apple makes MORE money if you have to pay for the song again every time you want to download it.

Evander on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It would be nice if iTunes broswer had a choice of sorting by folders when I manually manage my music. Just because I have a few folders with "top 100 whatever" it bloats the fuck out of the artist list. If that option is available it certainly isn't obvious and didn't show up on the first page of google hits.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    iTunes doesn't seem to handle compilations too well, either. Instead of a single album with multiple artists, you get multiple of the same album, at least that has been my experience. Zune on the other hand is simple drag and drop to combine.

Wazza on
    edited April 2010
    Hopnestly, I don't think that the Zune software is that much better than itunes (although I have used itunes maybe once in the past five years)

but that is kind of my point. Other than just brand recognition, the only reason for the sucess of the ipod is this notion that it is so much easier to use than anything else, but I have yet to find a basis for that notion

Evander on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hopnestly, I don't think that the Zune software is that much better than itunes (although I have used itunes maybe once in the past five years)
    I don't think you're talking about the software in the manner they are.
    iTunes is simply garbage as a program. All apple software on PC is, I swear Apple must do it on purpose.

Edit: reading back that's not the case, but god does Quicktime piss me off as well.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited April 2010
    Well, we can pretty confidently judge that Apple's Windows version of iTunes beats Microsoft's OSX version of Zune, that's for sure. Even if such a thing actually existed, though, it's not really apples-to-apples to compare OS vendors' bundled software to a port for a competing platform, particularly when the Windows API has a history of applying time-wasting "wait" commands to Microsoft's competitors' software for impenetrable "technical reasons." iTunes is one case where I'm fairly sure MS is innocent of wrongdoing, though, because for once it's someone else who wants a program to seem shittier than it is. It's a good move for Apple to make Windows' iTunes software visually appealing, mechanically intuitive, and appear to be running on a 486 with 28k RAM, which is my impression of the program's performance on the Core2/4gb machine my roommate runs it on.

Certainly, though, I raise a perplexed brow at anyone who decries the "locked-in" nature of the iPod/iTunes ecology while seriously advocating the goddamned Zune. Whether or not he has any intention of matching deeds to rhetoric, Steve Jobs wrote some very admirable things about the offering of DRM-free music on iTunes. I honestly cannot tell whether Apple is at the mercy of greater forces conspiring to keep unpopular policies like the re-download limit in place, or if they're cackling along with their fellow conspirators, pursuing tight vertical integration not for product integrity but for effective "rights management." I'm pretty skeptical that I'll know, or be able to find out, even a decade from now, because Cupertino has always had a history of keeping their cards close to their chest, and if they're being responsible to their shareholders they will always profess to have their customers' interests at heart (IE Big Media is forcing their hand in the iTunes store, they have no choice but to bend over and accept AT&T's demands regarding the iPhone, Adobe Flash rapes children [this last bit is probably true: I don't know a better description for chat-roulette])

nescientist on
    edited April 2010
    Windows is the dominant platform in the PC market. Is is incredibly silly to ignore that fact when looking at software versions.

Evander on
    edited April 2010
    Certainly, though, I raise a perplexed brow at anyone who decries the "locked-in" nature of the iPod/iTunes ecology while seriously advocating the goddamned Zune. Whether or not he has any intention of matching deeds to rhetoric, Steve Jobs wrote some very admirable things about the offering of DRM-free music on iTunes.

Yes.

Things which Zune did first. ;-)

Evander on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Certainly, though, I raise a perplexed brow at anyone who decries the "locked-in" nature of the iPod/iTunes ecology while seriously advocating the goddamned Zune. Whether or not he has any intention of matching deeds to rhetoric, Steve Jobs wrote some very admirable things about the offering of DRM-free music on iTunes.

Yes.

Following digital music pioneer Apple Inc.'s lead, Microsoft Corp. said it will soon sell digital music online without digital rights management (DRM) protection.

In February, Apple CEO and founder Steve Jobs stirred up controversy when he called for an end to DRM in an open letter to the industry published on Apple's Web site. At the time, Microsoft responded harshly to Jobs' statement -- a Zune spokesman called it naive and irresponsible -- but now the company seems to have literally changed its tune.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9015898/Microsoft_changes_tune_on_selling_DRM_free_songs

Also, Zune Marketplace music is only about 90% DRM-free. iTunes music has been 100% DRM-free for a while now.

Donkey Kong on
    edited April 2010

Okay, this is the really important part.

If Apple negotiates one contract, and then the RIAA gives MSoft a MUCH better deal, that gives Apple grounds to change things around.

It's very telling that you jump right to the idea that MSoft is paying people off before you consider the idea that Apple makes MORE money if you have to pay for the song again every time you want to download it.

Microsoft, as a whole, makes more money and they have a history of sinking the massive stores they make from Windows into other projects. And also, more money doesn't necessarily mean they are being paid off. More money equals better lawyers, means more stores to back up the continued existence of the project, etc. But it also means they can pay off RIAA.

Also, if RIAA gives Microsoft a much better deal, that isn't grounds to renegotiate a contract. We have no idea how long the contract is for and it probably can't change until that period is up and they renegotiate the contract.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2010

Yes.

Bzt. I already told you Zune did the DRM free thing only AFTER Apple did it. Quit making shit up, Evander.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2010
    Microsoft's official stance on going DRM-free was that it was downright irresponsible!

I mean, that was the response that tumbled from their dick-sucking lips when they thought Jobs's letter would raise the ire of the music industry and it was a perfect opportunity to show how they were the better strategic partner.

It wasn't all that long ago that this happened. It's been, what, 3 years? Not long enough for revisionist history yet.

Donkey Kong on
    edited April 2010
    Wazza wrote: »
    iTunes doesn't seem to handle compilations too well, either. Instead of a single album with multiple artists, you get multiple of the same album, at least that has been my experience. Zune on the other hand is simple drag and drop to combine.

Highlight all the songs in the album, right click->Get Info, click on the Options tab, and then change "Part of a Compilation" to "Yes". If you have your media library organised, it'll move those songs into a <iTunes Media Root>/Compilations/<Album Name>.

Premier kakos on
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wazza wrote: »

Highlight all the songs in the album, right click->Get Info, click on the Options tab, and then change "Part of a Compilation" to "Yes". If you have your media library organised, it'll move those songs into a <iTunes Media Root>/Compilations/<Album Name>.

Yeah, took a look at that and "part of a compilation" wasn't a valid option. Drag and drop still has it beat, nonetheless.

Wazza on
    edited April 2010
    Microsoft, as a whole, makes more money and they have a history of sinking the massive stores they make from Windows into other projects.

Apple, as a whole, has a history of overcharging.

Evander on
    edited April 2010
    Microsoft, as a whole, makes more money and they have a history of sinking the massive stores they make from Windows into other projects.

Overcharging for you. For a lot of consumers, they charge just the right amount of money.

In conclusion, in the Evander-verse, Apple bad, Gamestop good. Whatever floats your boat.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2010

Overcharging for you. For a lot of consumers, they charge just the right amount of money.

In conclusion, in the Evander-verse, Apple bad, Gamestop good. Whatever floats your boat.

The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

You can throw around bullshit like "people are willing to pay it", but it doesn't change the fact that it pushes the market in a consumer negative direction.

No moralising going on here. That's all in your own head. The fact that you feel the need to go ad hominem is really telling as to your confidence in your own points, though.

Evander on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

You can throw around bullshit like "people are willing to pay it", but it doesn't change the fact that it pushes the market in a consumer negative direction.

No moralising going on here. That's all in your own head. The fact that you feel the need to go ad hominem is really telling as to your confidence in your own points, though.
    Or the ever popular, 'they're not overpriced for what you get'...when you add arbitrary features that no one actually uses to disqualify comparing them to regular computers

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png