As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 04/17/10 -- The Flash relaunch was actually really good

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Graphic Violence
The first issue of Flash was really fun. It had some great, light-hearted scenes of the Flash being really fast and doing cool stuff, and it wasn't dark or grim or gory like people like to accuse Johns of being.

Without being spoilery, I'll say that some of my favorite scenes were in the police station showing Barry settling back into his old job. Speaking of Barry, the issue was not-at-all a Barry knob-slob fest. And this issue was hands down better than all of Flash Rebirth.

Francis Manapul's art was fantastic. It really added a lot to the light-hearted feel of the book.

And the ending was rather unexpected.
"My name is Commander Cold. Me and my crew are from the 25th century. You are under arrest for the murder of Mirror Monarch."

Lucascraft on

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I almost picked it up, but $3.99 is steep, is it a monthly?

cardboard delusions on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brightest Day #1 was hit and miss, but you do get a lot of story for $4.

You can kind of tell like with 52 and that Countdown to Infinite Crisis special which parts were Johns written (Flash, Deadman, Firestorm, Aquaman) and which parts were Tomasi (J'onn, Kyle/Jade, the Hawks, Max Lord, Hawk and Dove), but the art was good, some characters are better than others, and you have this Tomasi written scene with Hal, Guy, and J'onn:

bd1a.jpg

bd1b.jpg

bd1c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Brightest Day #1 was hit and miss, but you do get a lot of story for $4.

You can kind of tell like with 52 and that Countdown to Infinite Crisis special which parts were Johns written (Flash, Deadman, Firestorm, Aquaman) and which parts were Tomasi (J'onn, Kyle/Jade, the Hawks, Max Lord, Hawk and Dove), but the art was good, some characters are better than others, and you have this Tomasi written scene with Hal, Guy, and J'onn:

bd1a.jpg

bd1b.jpg

bd1c.jpg

Hey

Miss Martian.

Bloods End on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a stack with an ungodly number of unread comics from the last month or so and I've been slowly picking away at it. Given what I'm planning on picking up today (maybe) and in light of the fact that given current trends I probably won't even read them for another few weeks, I'll just go with this.

Jonah Hex #54 is super.

The book is awesome and quite frankly there is no one in comics I like more than Jimmy Palmiotti right now (I'll never get over being in awe of Morrison to truly just "like" him). Anyway, Hex #54 is swell. It's not just the artist, who did a great job, nor any specific scene--a bank robber dying after a rattlesnake bites him in the groin, Hex talking a mule into running like Hell only to have it buck him off and knocked unconscious, Hex telling seven men with guns on him to put them down before he kills them, or the ever-classic headshooting a hostage-taker.

I also finally read Thor #608 and loved the line where Volstagg tells Ragnarok he'll pay for making him run.

SHIELD #1 was fun, too. From Hickman on Word Balloon I am even more curious and lacking in answers as to what it means that Leonid is referred to as The Human Dynamo. I also wonder if Night Machine/his father is the same Russian who predicted the existence of Antarctica and (in Hickman's book) then ventured forth to discover it and the Savage Land within.

Crimsondude on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Trying to pick a proper single moment, but as an x-man fanboy, this week was good to me.

Realized I missed the Second Coming #1, grabbed that and New Mutants #12. I'm unfamiliar with Ibraim Roberson, but he did the pencils and inks and Brian Reber did colors on New Mutants #12. I like it. It's an almost understated look, but everything looks solid. Bodies have the right solid feel. It's not a cartoony or energetic look, but dude could draw nothing but talking heads for three pages straight and you'd never lose track of who's who. That sounds kind of odd, but making the characters look like distinct real people wins points with me.

Black Widow #1 surprised me. Grabbed it for the Daniel Acuna pencils, but this could actually be a really badass Iron Man / Wolverine / Black Widow story.

Savage Axe of Ares is worth grabbing for being just plain weird and going with the 60s comic mini-story collection, but I have to give my moment of the week to X-Factor Forever #2. I think this might be my favorite thing Marvel is putting out right now. I know, like with New Mutants, that they are really consciously pushing my nostalgia buttons, but I take back everything I said about being on the fence with the dialogue in this book.

It's pitch perfect for what they're doing. The art combines a few funky styles at once and I love the Ben Day dots.

"This is my new, improved persona -- for which you may thank your old nemesis, Apocalypse! You may address me as the mighty Master Meld!"

"Apocalypse--?!"

"Only he could be so diabolical as to combine the Master Mold and Hodge into a single being!"

desc on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Loki kicking ass in his Siege book is my MotW.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2010
    Saw this in the Comics Alliance roundtable for Siege: Loki.

s309qc.jpg

Perfection.

desc wrote: »
    "This is my new, improved persona -- for which you may thank your old nemesis, Apocalypse! You may address me as the mighty Master Meld!"

"Apocalypse--?!"

"Only he could be so diabolical as to combine the Master Mold and Hodge into a single being!"

Intriguing.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Secret Six #20, so good:

ss20a.jpg

ss20b.jpg

ss20c.jpg

ss20d.jpg

See, Simone knows how to do a dark book that isn't trying too hard, or trying to push the limits just because it is a dark book. And the stuff with Scandal and Bane gets more interesting this issue.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    "And then he showed these men of will what will really was."

Excellent.

So excellent Hal Jordan can kiss his ass.

Crimsondude on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Secret Six #20, so good:

ss20a.jpg

ss20b.jpg

ss20c.jpg

ss20d.jpg

See, Simone knows how to do a dark book that isn't trying too hard, or trying to push the limits just because it is a dark book. And the stuff with Scandal and Bane gets more interesting this issue.

That is pretty badass.

Solar on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Secret Six is definitely my favorite book coming out of DC right now (besides Magog, of course, but that's in a league of it's own).

Hensler on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darn you Crimsondude. My comic shop was insta-sold out of Siege: Loki.

desc on
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Savage Axe of Ares is worth grabbing for being just plain weird and going with the 60s comic mini-story collection, but I have to give my moment of the week to X-Factor Forever #2. I think this might be my favorite thing Marvel is putting out right now. I know, like with New Mutants, that they are really consciously pushing my nostalgia buttons, but I take back everything I said about being on the fence with the dialogue in this book.

It's pitch perfect for what they're doing. The art combines a few funky styles at once and I love the Ben Day dots.

"Apocalypse--?!"

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    Secret Six #20, so good

The last page makes for a pretty good (unintentional) Blackest Night joke after reading this
    Catman tells the dude he's about to kill that his cloak can bring people back from the dead and he'll allow the guy to touch it if he gives him information. Then he stabs the guy's hands to the railing and says "Go on, touch it. Can't? Guess you didn't want it bad enough."

Some pretty good character development for Catman, but I like him better as an anti-hero

Garlic Bread on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is Flash actually good or has Lucascraft just got a mad hard-on for Geoff Johns?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was actually good, and I say that as someone who was not a fan of Flash: Rebirth.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lotta good books this week. Loki, Secret Six, Iron Man: Legacy

probably my favorite though was Iron Man Noir. Indiana Jones meets The Rocketeer with Iron Man characters?

yes please

Diablo Fett on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So happy to have J'onn back. You miss the big green lug when he's not around.

hamdingers on
    edited April 2010
    Here are scans of Loki kicking ass per Siege: Loki:

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1831092.html?#cutid1

wirehead26 on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, Siege: Loki was absolutely my MotW (of several weeks, even). I loved how all of these big events have really just been a game Loki's playing, I loved how they showed that he's no slouch when it comes to physical combat, and (perhaps most of all) I loved how Thor: Disassembled from years ago has not been forgotten by continuity, but rather has been the driving force behind Asgard-related events and characters.

Also, I loved how
    Mephisto was like "please Loki, stop with the games. I'm just trying to help a fellow artist out" with this half-bored, half-annoyed expression on his face.

Gillen can write my Norse gods anytime.

Delduwath on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

It is monthly, however just the first issue I believe is 3.99. After that it'll be 2.99.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mugginns wrote: »

It is monthly, however just the first issue I believe is 3.99. After that it'll be 2.99.

Funny you mention that, I just flipped through the DC site, noticed that it goes back down and it's monthly. Might wait anyway just to see. I don't currently read anything DC.

cardboard delusions on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mugginns wrote: »

Funny you mention that, I just flipped through the DC site, noticed that it goes back down and it's monthly. Might wait anyway just to see. I don't currently read anything DC.

It is pretty awesome, everything is introduced in the book.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Gillen can write my Norse gods anytime.

At this point he could write my biography and make it amazing (And it's not. Not even remotely interesting).

Crimsondude on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It would be all about how the god of lies used music (which is magic) to weave a web of deception and turn you into the avatar of rage.

Delduwath on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god. Secret Six was soooo good.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited April 2010
    With last week and this week's releases, April has been a great month for comics. If only Siege were still going to make it out next week :( . Secret Six and Mice Templar were the best books this week, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Young Avengers Siege tie-in. It was just filler, but the good kind of filler.

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    It would be all about how the god of lies used music (which is magic) to weave a web of deception and turn you into the avatar of rage.

Needs more war gods, space horses and Dazzler.

Crimsondude on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MotW: Young Avengers Siege!

Speed's desire to do more was awesome, and Clint's two panel cameo was worth it. I can't wait until he's back in his old suit. I don't really understand why Kate was being such a bitch. Maybe the stress, but she seemed really out of character.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys, I finally read Punisher 13, with the big fight between the Legion of Monsters and Hellsgaard and his Hunter of Monster Special Force, and man it was so good. Jack Russel and Frank were awesome, and Frank threw Man-Thing at a helicopter. My god, it was glorious. And the latest issue, with Frank riding a dragon to the Alps and killed a shit ton of Hunters and zombie Nazis, was really, really good too.

Also, the new issue of King City was really great.

And the jerkwad guy was running the counter, and he said Orc Stain 2 never came out. I'm pretty sure he was too busy being a jerk and watching a baseball game to actually look. Damn jerk.

DouglasDanger on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forget that Jerk Douglas, lets be Beartato bros instead

/beartato fistbump

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys have my two most favorite avatars.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He copied me in reverse.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Yesss, beartato buddy! Nice!

Punisher is really good though, and this artist who is not Tony Moore (I can't remember his name) was really good.

DouglasDanger on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    From the scansdaily Siege Loki bit - Gotta say I'm impressed with the small attention to detail when he's shrinking the crown - the crown goes through three sizes in the panel, which is a very important number in Norse mythology. Also visible in that same panel/sequence are nine fingers, which is Odin's number. I probably need to go pick this one up.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
    edited April 2010
    And the jerkwad guy was running the counter, and he said Orc Stain 2 never came out. I'm pretty sure he was too busy being a jerk and watching a baseball game to actually look. Damn jerk.

It's out - not sure if you already know this and that's why you're calling him a jerk. But I bought both issues to see why everyone liked it so much. I was very disappointed.

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    I still think Jonah Hex #54 was awesome. But I've gone through some more of my backlog, and I have to say that hands-down the best thing I've read in a while was Fables #93. The defense put on for a goblin facing execution in Flycatcher's kingdom was amazing. Fly had a great scene where he visits Blue's grave and confronts his duty as king and the politics of leading a kingdom where goblins were allowed to live in spite of their past/nature (which is the heart of the defense). It's fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about this story. It's legal. It's political. It's tragic every time they cut to the victim's family.

House of Mystery #24 had a fun rom-com story (you pay for drinks with a story in the bar, and one is featured each issue. This is #24's drink story) involving two vampires who meet in Florence and engage in a romance straight of the rom-com formula. But the best is when they're descending from the Duomo after he tried to kill her and then she attacked him. She calls it their "meet-cute" moment because it's a cute tale of when they met, you know, two vampires accidentally trying to eat each other after a random meeting. Meanwhile they reach the bottom of the stairs and people are flipping out because they're covered in their own blood laughing like madmen.

Secret Warriors #14. Two interesting moments. J.T. telling Daisy why he's stuck around as long as he has. And Madame Hydra aka
    The Contessa
    killing
    Viper

Jack of Fables #44: MacDuff throws Jack his fulminate sword, and he swings it around to destroy a bunch of attackers with one swing. Nice action scene.

I haven't gotten to this week's comics, but I doubt anything's better than what I've read of Siege: Loki. I didn't get it, but I'm doubting that decision now.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2010
    For the love of Pete get Siege: Loki. Get the Young Avengers one too but you could skip the Cap one.

wirehead26 on
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

It's out - not sure if you already know this and that's why you're calling him a jerk. But I bought both issues to see why everyone liked it so much. I was very disappointed.

Well, art is subjective, not everyone will like every comic. And it is very different from typical super hero comics. I'm not sure how strong the narrative/writing will be, but I am a huge fan of Stokoe's artwork.

Yeah, the guy is a jerk, and I knew it came out a while ago.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2010
    I couldn't care less about the Young Avengers even if it is McKeever writing it. As for Loki, I'm just not too keen on buying more Siege books after I started seeing it as a bad political allegory. It's one of those things I can't unsee. But yeah, I may. I know I should just because it's Gillen/McKelvie, but I didn't. Although given other peoples' comments now I'm wondering if they've sold out by now.

You know, I wonder though. Am I the only one here who reads Vertigo in floppies, or at all? I like to think GV's pretty high brow compared to what I've seen on other boards but I never see anyone mention them regularly.

Crimsondude on