As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    It's spaced well and doesn't have the absolutely atrocious sunken bottom row issue that the Cliq does, however the keys have an unpleasant, shallow and near-clickless press. It gets the job done, but it leaves enough to be desired that you'll end up using the onscreen keyboard for most things (unless you're monsterhandsVander.) The directional pad sucks a big one, even though it has diagonals they don't click, sometimes requiring you to put a bit of extra pressure to get a click if you're off center. Absolutely horrid for most games and you probably won't use it for much else aside from editing text. Great to have the keyboard for certain apps though.

If you have any Verizon corporate store near you they will have a live one on display you can use if you're on the fence about it.

The Droid's keyboard isn't great, but for me its leagues ahead of the OSK.

The directional pad does suck though.

JohnDoe on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    It's spaced well and doesn't have the absolutely atrocious sunken bottom row issue that the Cliq does, however the keys have an unpleasant, shallow and near-clickless press. It gets the job done, but it leaves enough to be desired that you'll end up using the onscreen keyboard for most things (unless you're monsterhandsVander.) The directional pad sucks a big one, even though it has diagonals they don't click, sometimes requiring you to put a bit of extra pressure to get a click if you're off center. Absolutely horrid for most games and you probably won't use it for much else aside from editing text. Great to have the keyboard for certain apps though.

If you have any Verizon corporate store near you they will have a live one on display you can use if you're on the fence about it.

The Droid's keyboard isn't great, but for me its leagues ahead of the OSK.

The directional pad does suck though.

My only beef with the D-pad is its inexplicable placement on the right side of the keyboard.

Michael H on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I actually love the keyboard. It works well for me, even the D-pad. I also like the on screen keyboards without the modifications.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Until I got swype I used the hard keyboard probably about 50% of the time. Now I hardly touch it.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been hearing a lot about Swype. Is there a trick to getting it, I don't see it on the market at all...

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    It looks like it's still in beta for the Droid; you can read more about it here. I might give it a whirl.

Android Central has a pretty good article on Android keyboard upgrades in general.

Michael H on
    edited April 2010
    So you sorta "draw" the word you're going to type? I'm confused how this works. Does it just sort of wait till you reach an end point then type that letter?

I must have tiny fingers like the guy with tiny hands cause I have no problem with the onscreen keyboard.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i got swype about a week ago and it's absolutely fantastic. i never use the physical keyboard EVER now.

you trace from the starting letter of the word to each next letter in order, and once you pick your finger up off the touch screen it just plops the whole word in there. there's also lots of really intuitive shortcuts for double letters and capitalization and shit

i'm so glad i got it

Snork on
    edited April 2010
    ...I might actually buy this. A slip-on controller cover for the keyboard of your Droid. Aimed towards those running Software That Shall Not Be Spoken Of.

http://www.androidcentral.com/game-gripper-brings-emu-goodness-droid

Michael H on
    edited April 2010
    I wish the stupid thing wasn't 15 bucks though. 5 I could handle. I mean it's a plastic cover.

MoSiAc on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So my new every two with Verizon is up in six days, but my roommate's isn't til september and we want to get a family plan.

Do I buy a $20 droid now for my own plan, and pay $90 a month, or try to find a way to get him out of contract earlier and wait for the $200-300 Incredible? Or switch to sprint and get the EVO?

Mai-Kero on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If your upgrade is up in six days that means your contract isn't over for another four months and six days. Probably want to double check on your roomy's line also. Family plan is probably a bad idea, but if you go for the Evo unless they introduce some fucked up pricing you'll be able to use it on the nice cheap sprint data plans and it's a bomb ass phone.

If you're both on Verizon already you can consolidate the lines whether you're in contract or upgrading or not, there's no penalty for liability transfer.

JAEF on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If your upgrade is up in six days that means your contract isn't over for another four months and six days. Probably want to double check on your roomy's line also. Family plan is probably a bad idea, but if you go for the Evo unless they introduce some fucked up pricing you'll be able to use it on the nice cheap sprint data plans and it's a bomb ass phone.

If you're both on Verizon already you can consolidate the lines whether you're in contract or upgrading or not, there's no penalty for liability transfer.

Nice. Yeah, the problem right now will be convincing my roommates to stay on Verizon. My GF is on it, and her dad won't upgrade the family plan for unlimited texts, so if we move to Sprint that's like 500 a month. Unfortunately, the sprint plan would be $150 for us, whereas the Verizon Plan would be like $220 for the same number of minutes.

Mai-Kero on
    edited April 2010
    so has anyone else noticed a little bit of slowdown since the 2.1 update? my messaging app takes a couple of seconds of black screen to boot up if it hasn't been run relatively recently, which kind of blows. i just uninstalled a lot of stuff I don't use, and I'm not sure how much of this may stem from the fact that I'm using helixlauncher as a home replacement and the swype keyboard. I wouldn't be surprised if they're more a cause of the slowdown than 2.1, but that's still kind of lame.

Snork on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    so has anyone else noticed a little bit of slowdown since the 2.1 update? my messaging app takes a couple of seconds of black screen to boot up if it hasn't been run relatively recently, which kind of blows. i just uninstalled a lot of stuff I don't use, and I'm not sure how much of this may stem from the fact that I'm using helixlauncher as a home replacement and the swype keyboard. I wouldn't be surprised if they're more a cause of the slowdown than 2.1, but that's still kind of lame.

I wouldn't say slow. Maybe more choppy/less smooth. But that, yeah.

LaPuzza on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's odd. Everything for me seems to move a bit faster now since 2.1, especially the browser.

BTW does anyone know of a decent word processing program? I have Gdocs but that's pretty rudimentary. Is there anything else a little more robust?

Apostate on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I never watched With Hunter Robin when it was one but one episode I watched had a Guy plug a keyboard into his PDA and go to town with the PDA propped up. Does such a thing exist for smartphones?

Excluding the unmentionable, what are the most visually stimulating games with some depth for android? I found one on the market place that was like a silent hill inspiried, "Escape this Room" type, but I want more.

RoyceSraphim on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I never watched With Hunter Robin when it was one but one episode I watched had a Guy plug a keyboard into his PDA and go to town with the PDA propped up. Does such a thing exist for smartphones?

Excluding the unmentionable, what are the most visually stimulating games with some depth for android? I found one on the market place that was like a silent hill inspiried, "Escape this Room" type, but I want more.

I believe there's a hack to make Bluetooth keyboards work, which is close.

yalborap on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I've noticed a noticable speedup, actually, on my Milestone(the UK version of the Droid).

JohnDoe on
    edited April 2010
    RoyceSraphim's guide to running dvds on your droid
    Download and install Handbrake for windows with GUI
    Download and install dvd 43,
    insert dvd
    select dvd as source
    select Ipod legacy settings
    Convert
    create folder in Droid to seperate media
    drop
    ???
    Profit

Fixed wrong named of program

RoyceSraphim on
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure if it's just my phone, or just cause the network is spotty around here and it flips services during the day but has anyone noticed like a serious lag from some txt messages from other verizon users?

For example yesterday the 19th I got a txt that had been sent at around lunch time on the 18th. At no time that whole weekend did I turn the phone off, or go into airplane mode or anything.

MoSiAc on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's just my phone, or just cause the network is spotty around here and it flips services during the day but has anyone noticed like a serious lag from some txt messages from other verizon users?

For example yesterday the 19th I got a txt that had been sent at around lunch time on the 18th. At no time that whole weekend did I turn the phone off, or go into airplane mode or anything.

I haven't noticed any on my EnV3(god damn I cannot wait for those paychecks that will pay for a Droid)...Which isn't to say it hasn't happened, only that people don't contact me much.

Though I had no problems with it back on the 18th.

yalborap on
    edited April 2010
    I just envisioned Dwarf Fortress on the Droid, it would kill our processors and you could drive to Canada on one turn but damn, it would be fun.

RoyceSraphim on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »

It happened to me two weeks ago. I sent a txt message to two people around noon-ish, and they didn't receive them until 11pm.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    edited April 2010
    Anyone else have an issue with the message light flashing wihtout a notification waiting? My ocd tendencies are killing me.

LaPuzza on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I did for a while after the update. The light either wouldn't blink, or it would blink for no reason. I quick cycling of notification options on handscent fixed it thought.

Anon the Felon on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    anyone have a problem with chat on the droid? specifically, there's one person on my list whose messages always go to my phone, even if I'm signed onto gchat on a PC. So I can be holding a lively conversation with her, and EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE SHE SENDS makes my damn phone vibrate. It drives me nuts. When you're signed onto a computer, your phone isn't supposed to vibrate for chats...

The theory is that she has a blackberry and somehow for that reason her messages always get treated differently. Though this happens even when she's chatting from her computer and not her blackberry...

another thing - anyone have trouble with the GPS? I recently took an hour long drive with google maps, and for the ENTIRE HOUR, I couldn't get a GPS signal. Every few minutes, my dot would update to some random spot within a quarter mile of my actual location, but it never actually figured out where I was and navigated properly...

DiscoZombie on
    edited April 2010
    GTalk gets wonky when you're signed into two places at once. Have the same issue with my Hero, so I don't bother signing onto GTalk on my computer anymore. Google's GPS lock is also sometimes bullshit like that. That's just random.

JAEF on
    edited April 2010
    In relation to the random light blink. I thought mine was doing it, but basically what happened with me was I had gotten an e-mail and the notification went away but the led decided to flash. I open gmail and there are all my msg's waiting.

MoSiAc on
    edited April 2010
    i've noticed notifications can occasionally get 'stuck' in the notification bar. the easiest way to get them to go away is just to navigate to the app that the notification is from through the app menu. that usually works

Snork on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of notifications. How the hell do I turn of the car dock notification? I know the phone is in the car dock, I can see the dock holding the damn phone, I don't need you cluttering my notification window telling me that the phone is in the dock.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of notifications. How the hell do I turn of the car dock notification? I know the phone is in the car dock, I can see the dock holding the damn phone, I don't need you cluttering my notification window telling me that the phone is in the dock.

I don't know, but I wish I could do the same for my media dock. I don't see an "ignore" in notifications settings.

LaPuzza on
    edited June 2010
    Anyone had any gps issues lately? I can't get any golf gps stuff to work, and the google maps app thinks I'm about 500 yards away from where I'm sitting.

LaPuzza on
    edited June 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    Anyone had any gps issues lately? I can't get any golf gps stuff to work, and the google maps app thinks I'm about 500 yards away from where I'm sitting.

That happens to me while I'm at work; if you can't get a really good GPS signal it estimates your location based on cell towers/network info I believe.

I've had my GPS go wonky a few times, in each case just turning off and restarting my phone brought everything back to normal.

Michael H on
  • GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »

I don't know, but I wish I could do the same for my media dock. I don't see an "ignore" in notifications settings.

you can turn off SD card notifications under 'Sound & display settings' to make it not chime when you put it in the media dock. mine was driving me nuts until i figured that out. i don't know if that will apply the same to the car dock though because i don't have one to test it with, and it's not letting you know you can mount your SD card when you have it in the car dock.

Glitch on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah boy! BUGLESS BEAST FROYO IS NOW AVAILABLE!
    https://twitter.com/PeterAlfonso

That_Guy on
    edited June 2010
    And they just missed your birthday. Better late than never though.

JAEF on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have been running BB's Froyo since last night. Even though the clock speed of this rom is slower (I was at a low voltage 1ghz, now I am at normal votage 800mhz), my droid feels snappier and more responsive than before. Animated wallpapers still lag me, but they are all crap anyway. After I donloaded the flash plugin (it's not on the app store yet but you can get the apk on your own), things really got awesome. Having full flash support and now the ability to upload files directly from the browser make this phone more functional than my first 4 computers. If you are on the fence about getting it; just do it. It's so worth it.

That_Guy on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The biggest draw for Froyo should be the fact that you can now watch Homestar Runner on the can.

Mustachio Jones on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the new Droid has a 750MHz processor and completely different keyboard. Thoughts? 750MHz when it's surrounded on all sides by 1GHz phones seems slow, but it's OMAP, not Snapdragon (whatever type that is, I can't remember right now) so it supposedly handles graphics better and runs at a similar pace as the Snapdragon, but I'm curious how many people will simply look at the speed and choose the 1GHz models, unless they want a hardware keyboard anyway.

I like the new keyboard, while the Droid's was fine, it still felt a bit cheap for such a nice device. I'm hoping that it gets 2.2 soon though, as releasing a new phone with 2.1 now seems kinda silly, though not as silly as all the devices releasing with 1.5 and 1.6 still.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png