As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apple To Developers: Fuck You

18911131429

Posts

  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Or the ever popular, 'they're not overpriced for what you get'...when you add arbitrary features that no one actually uses to disqualify comparing them to regular computers

    Again, I'll refer back to my argument about comparability.

    Two products might be similar in regard to end-product primary functionality, as in "Is this a computer?" or "Is this an mp3 player?" yet vary wildly in their actual utility and composition.

    Back to the iMac example, similarly configured Dell or HP all-in-ones are similarly priced and don't offer the proprietary hardware or software that Apple does, despite that Apple offers access to theirs. Apple still has better ratings on customer service, product stability/functionality, and warranties.

    Similarly, the iPod Touch and the Zune are comparably priced. The Zune is $30 cheaper, but Apple has 99% of the marketshare for apps. Want something besides just music? The iPod is going to be your best bet. Really into FM radio? Get the Zune.

    The MacBook Pro is fairly expensive. However, go to HP or Dell's website and construct something comparable. When I configured both products with i5 mobos, 17" HD displays, and similar SDD drives, guess who won? It was Dell, actually. By $71. But which company offers top-end proprietary navigation hardware, top-rated customer service and warranties, and the native ability to run both OSX and Windows? Yes, Apple.


    So, you know, I get where the comments about "elitism" and "snobbery" come from when talking about Apple enthusiasts, because God knows I know they exist. But in this case, even if it's just brand-based snobbery, the products being purchased are still incredibly high quality. Are people buying those products for other reasons than rote performance? I'm sure they are. But that doesn't mean all that much in this instance.

    Atomika on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

    When you buy a non-commodity product or service, you aren't only paying for the materials that were used to build it or provide it. You are also paying for the experience.

    Why do people go to the movie theater when they can rent the same movie for a lot less? Simple: for the experience of watching the movie in a theater. Now, the movie ticket will probably be too expensive for some people. That's fine. Yet do those people say "god damn movie theater being elitist by charging so much"? Does anyone argue that movie theaters "push the market in a consumer negative direction"? No, because that would be fucking silly.

    The reasoning when it comes to Apple products is not exactly the same, but it's very similar. You aren't only paying for a touch-screen device that can browse the internet and read books and listen to music. You are paying for the experience of owning an iPad.

    Perpetual on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited April 2010
    So, you know, I get where the comments about "elitism" and "snobbery" come from when talking about Apple enthusiasts, because God knows I know they exist. But in this case, even if it's just brand-based snobbery, the products being purchased are still incredibly high quality. Are people buying those products for other reasons than rote performance? I'm sure they are. But that doesn't mean all that much in this instance.

    Fucking win right here.

    My only gripe about Apple gadgets is their battery life, but I buy Apple Protection Plan with them anyway, which is like paying a flat amount for unlimited number of replacements. I think I've exchanged my 2nd gen ipod for free like 3 times before they finally said they ran out.

    Perpetual on
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

    When you buy a non-commodity product or service, you aren't only paying for the materials that were used to build it or provide it. You are also paying for the experience.

    Why do people go to the movie theater when they can rent the same movie for a lot less? Simple: for the experience of watching the movie in a theater. Now, the movie ticket will probably be too expensive for some people. That's fine. Yet do those people say "god damn movie theater being elitist by charging so much"? Does anyone argue that movie theaters "push the market in a consumer negative direction"? No, because that would be fucking silly.

    The reasoning when it comes to Apple products is not exactly the same, but it's very similar. You aren't only paying for a touch-screen device that can browse the internet and read books and listen to music. You are paying for the experience of owning an iPad.

    Bull. Shit.

    The same device made by any other company would offer the same experience at a lower cost.

    Or it wouldn't now, because Apple has already set a certain price for the market, THAT particular fact being the sole issue that I have with Apple, that their actions poison the rest of the market, turning ALL pricing consumer negative in certain areas.

    Let's drop the iPad, though, since no one was talking about it anyway, and get back to MP3 players.

    What is the "experience" of an ipod that you do not get with other comperable (and cheaper) devices? That has yet to be explained to me.

    Evander on
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    So, you know, I get where the comments about "elitism" and "snobbery" come from when talking about Apple enthusiasts, because God knows I know they exist. But in this case, even if it's just brand-based snobbery, the products being purchased are still incredibly high quality. Are people buying those products for other reasons than rote performance? I'm sure they are. But that doesn't mean all that much in this instance.

    Fucking win right here.

    My only gripe about Apple gadgets is their battery life, but I buy Apple Protection Plan with them anyway, which is like paying a flat amount for unlimited number of replacements. I think I've exchanged my 2nd gen ipod for free like 3 times before they finally said they ran out.

    So when they run out, you're SOL?

    What stops them from lying about that, because they want you to buy a new device?

    Evander on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »
    So, you know, I get where the comments about "elitism" and "snobbery" come from when talking about Apple enthusiasts, because God knows I know they exist. But in this case, even if it's just brand-based snobbery, the products being purchased are still incredibly high quality. Are people buying those products for other reasons than rote performance? I'm sure they are. But that doesn't mean all that much in this instance.

    Fucking win right here.

    My only gripe about Apple gadgets is their battery life, but I buy Apple Protection Plan with them anyway, which is like paying a flat amount for unlimited number of replacements. I think I've exchanged my 2nd gen ipod for free like 3 times before they finally said they ran out.

    So when they run out, you're SOL?

    What stops them from lying about that, because they want you to buy a new device?

    If they run out and your warranty isn't up, they give you an equivalent model new device.

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    So when they run out, you're SOL?

    Yeah, my granddad stop buying warranties when Ford told him that under no circumstance would they supply him with yet another acceleratrix for his Model-T.

    Atomika on
  • JokermanJokerman V.Vaughn, The Vaudeville Vilnian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    So when they run out, you're SOL?

    Yeah, my granddad stop buying warranties when Ford told him that under no circumstance would they supply him with yet another acceleratrix for his Model-T.

    Whats an Acceleratrix?

    And was the Model-T planned to be obsolute within a year, I forget...

    Jokerman on
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Whats an Acceleratrix?

    It modulates the carburation of petroleum distillate into the primary autovoiture propulsionary gearframe.

    Atomika on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Whats an Acceleratrix?

    It modulates the carburation of petroleum distillate into the primary autovoiture propulsionary gearframe.

    And is sexy in spiked leather.

    Incenjucar on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »
    So, you know, I get where the comments about "elitism" and "snobbery" come from when talking about Apple enthusiasts, because God knows I know they exist. But in this case, even if it's just brand-based snobbery, the products being purchased are still incredibly high quality. Are people buying those products for other reasons than rote performance? I'm sure they are. But that doesn't mean all that much in this instance.

    Fucking win right here.

    My only gripe about Apple gadgets is their battery life, but I buy Apple Protection Plan with them anyway, which is like paying a flat amount for unlimited number of replacements. I think I've exchanged my 2nd gen ipod for free like 3 times before they finally said they ran out.

    So when they run out, you're SOL?

    What stops them from lying about that, because they want you to buy a new device?

    If they run out and your warranty isn't up, they give you an equivalent model new device.

    Yeah.

    My sister's 2nd gen ipod had its screen start flickering after like 4 years of use. She got an iPod touch using the applecare plan.

    Perpetual on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    don't offer the proprietary hardware

    Proprietary hardware as a positive thing...that's a first for me.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    don't offer the proprietary hardware

    Proprietary hardware as a positive thing...that's a first for me.

    When it's a substantial advancement over your opportunity cost? Especially when that opportunity cost, as I've already shown above, is almost no savings at all?

    You must really hate proprietary hardware.


    The glut of third-party hardware hasn't exactly made PCs any more stable or cost-effective. At best, they've enabled gearheads to work on their own rigs more readily, which I'm not against.

    I'm not entirely sure what you're griping about here.

    Atomika on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like choice for one. I'd rather not Apple be the sole source for my tech gear.

    I seem to remember some ad some company made in the 80s about such monopolizing.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Jeep-Eep
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The glut of third-party hardware is the thing which has driven the rapid uptake of PCs, diveristification of applications and current throw-away cost of every type of peripheral or internal upgrade.

    electricitylikesme on
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The glut of third-party hardware is the thing which has driven the rapid uptake of PCs, diveristification of applications and current throw-away cost of every type of peripheral or internal upgrade.

    And those things are not things that Apple is interested in competing alongside.

    Since the advent of the original iMac and MacBook, Apple has been strictly interested in higher-end closed system electronics. That's their model. The fact that they have so much of that upper-end market share (91%) lends me to believe that they're more than just a pretty face.


    So that's great for PC that they can offer much lower prices thanks to 3rd-party competition, but we're really talking about apples and oranges (pun not intended). Simply because a Ford Taurus exists doesn't negate the net utility of Audi or Mercedes.

    Atomika on
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I like choice for one. I'd rather not Apple be the sole source for my tech gear.

    I seem to remember some ad some company made in the 80s about such monopolizing.

    Apple is the 5th largest provider in the market, and the only one offering a viable alternative to the 92% of the overall market using Windows.

    Are you sure you know what a "monopoly" is? Because it's not the niche company with minimal share offering market alternatives, I know that much.

    Atomika on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    lots of folks are still using old school iPhones and touches; not everyone is like me and absolutely has to have the newest and shiniest every year.

    Speaking of which, the upcoming iPhone looks so damn sexy... a little out of character for sure, but neat design.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • NatheoNatheo Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Ross, I don't think a car that's offered in a trim level that features 365 horsepower, all wheel drive, and a six speed transmission, along with all the fancy interior bits like navigation and sync is helping your point.

    Also I think upper-end market share is driven by a pretty face in a pretty big way. That's pretty much right from your link, halo effect, lifestyle marketing, etc.

    And I kinda wanna complain about your claim of OSX being the only viable alternative to windows, but meh.

    edit: I'm still kinda skeptical of that model actually being the iPhone for now, because of how out of character it is. I thought it would take more design cues from the iPad. But, the seams and screws could easily disappear from the production model while maintaining that look.

    Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

    When you buy a non-commodity product or service, you aren't only paying for the materials that were used to build it or provide it. You are also paying for the experience.

    Why do people go to the movie theater when they can rent the same movie for a lot less? Simple: for the experience of watching the movie in a theater. Now, the movie ticket will probably be too expensive for some people. That's fine. Yet do those people say "god damn movie theater being elitist by charging so much"? Does anyone argue that movie theaters "push the market in a consumer negative direction"? No, because that would be fucking silly.

    The reasoning when it comes to Apple products is not exactly the same, but it's very similar. You aren't only paying for a touch-screen device that can browse the internet and read books and listen to music. You are paying for the experience of owning an iPad.

    Bull. Shit.

    The same device made by any other company would offer the same experience at a lower cost.

    Or it wouldn't now, because Apple has already set a certain price for the market, THAT particular fact being the sole issue that I have with Apple, that their actions poison the rest of the market, turning ALL pricing consumer negative in certain areas.

    Let's drop the iPad, though, since no one was talking about it anyway, and get back to MP3 players.

    What is the "experience" of an ipod that you do not get with other comperable (and cheaper) devices? That has yet to be explained to me.

    Go read Stephen Fry talking about Apple products and then come back.

    It's pretty obvious from the way you've talked about gadgets before that you have absolutely no appreciation for design, though, so it feels like something of a lost cause telling you.

    bongi on
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    lots of folks are still using old school iPhones and touches; not everyone is like me and absolutely has to have the newest and shiniest every year.

    Speaking of which, the upcoming iPhone looks so damn sexy... a little out of character for sure, but neat design.

    last I heard that was a knockoff out of Japan

    Lanz on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    lots of folks are still using old school iPhones and touches; not everyone is like me and absolutely has to have the newest and shiniest every year.

    Speaking of which, the upcoming iPhone looks so damn sexy... a little out of character for sure, but neat design.

    last I heard that was a knockoff out of Japan

    The knockoff rumor was discredited... which is kind of funny IMO.

    Furthermore, there are early prototype photos of the iPad out there (that came out before the iPad dropped) in which this new device was in the shot.

    So this is the real deal. Apparently with a removable battery and frontfacing camera as well.
    3RiV
    3RiX
    3RiY

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • NatheoNatheo Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Removable battery and multitasking? Android really is having an effect here.

    Oh gizmodo.

    http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

    Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    Natheo wrote: »
    Removable battery and multitasking? Android really is having an effect here.

    competition is a good thing. I am glad the platform I am the most invested in and has the largest pile of developer support is taking good ideas from many sources, and distilling/refining the hell out of them before baking them into a device.

    Apple may be a little slow on the feature crawl, but you can never say their offering is half-baked when it hits the masses. It does everything it says it does well.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    lots of folks are still using old school iPhones and touches; not everyone is like me and absolutely has to have the newest and shiniest every year.

    Speaking of which, the upcoming iPhone looks so damn sexy... a little out of character for sure, but neat design.

    last I heard that was a knockoff out of Japan

    GizModo's teardown looks pretty convincing.

    http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

    I'm not ready to make an "eat my cock" wager yet though.

    Edit: Holy fuck, 960x640?

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User
    edited April 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

    When you buy a non-commodity product or service, you aren't only paying for the materials that were used to build it or provide it. You are also paying for the experience.

    Why do people go to the movie theater when they can rent the same movie for a lot less? Simple: for the experience of watching the movie in a theater. Now, the movie ticket will probably be too expensive for some people. That's fine. Yet do those people say "god damn movie theater being elitist by charging so much"? Does anyone argue that movie theaters "push the market in a consumer negative direction"? No, because that would be fucking silly.

    The reasoning when it comes to Apple products is not exactly the same, but it's very similar. You aren't only paying for a touch-screen device that can browse the internet and read books and listen to music. You are paying for the experience of owning an iPad.

    Bull. Shit.

    The same device made by any other company would offer the same experience at a lower cost.

    Or it wouldn't now, because Apple has already set a certain price for the market, THAT particular fact being the sole issue that I have with Apple, that their actions poison the rest of the market, turning ALL pricing consumer negative in certain areas.

    Let's drop the iPad, though, since no one was talking about it anyway, and get back to MP3 players.

    What is the "experience" of an ipod that you do not get with other comperable (and cheaper) devices? That has yet to be explained to me.

    Go read Stephen Fry talking about Apple products and then come back.

    It's pretty obvious from the way you've talked about gadgets before that you have absolutely no appreciation for design, though, so it feels like something of a lost cause telling you.

    No you see if it can play mp3s then they must charge the exact same price!!!

    Perpetual on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    lots of folks are still using old school iPhones and touches; not everyone is like me and absolutely has to have the newest and shiniest every year.

    Speaking of which, the upcoming iPhone looks so damn sexy... a little out of character for sure, but neat design.

    last I heard that was a knockoff out of Japan

    GizModo's teardown looks pretty convincing.

    http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

    I'm not ready to make an "eat my cock" wager yet though.

    Edit: Holy fuck, 960x640?

    Previous owner of futurist I-phone found?: http://gizmodo.com/5519660/time-traveler-captured-in-museum-photograph

    Time traveling Hipster not available for questioning.

    DanHibiki on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Or the ever popular, 'they're not overpriced for what you get'...when you add arbitrary features that no one actually uses to disqualify comparing them to regular computers

    Again, I'll refer back to my argument about comparability.

    Two products might be similar in regard to end-product primary functionality, as in "Is this a computer?" or "Is this an mp3 player?" yet vary wildly in their actual utility and composition.

    Back to the iMac example, similarly configured Dell or HP all-in-ones are similarly priced and don't offer the proprietary hardware or software that Apple does, despite that Apple offers access to theirs. Apple still has better ratings on customer service, product stability/functionality, and warranties.

    Similarly, the iPod Touch and the Zune are comparably priced. The Zune is $30 cheaper, but Apple has 99% of the marketshare for apps. Want something besides just music? The iPod is going to be your best bet. Really into FM radio? Get the Zune.

    The MacBook Pro is fairly expensive. However, go to HP or Dell's website and construct something comparable. When I configured both products with i5 mobos, 17" HD displays, and similar SDD drives, guess who won? It was Dell, actually. By $71. But which company offers top-end proprietary navigation hardware, top-rated customer service and warranties, and the native ability to run both OSX and Windows? Yes, Apple.


    So, you know, I get where the comments about "elitism" and "snobbery" come from when talking about Apple enthusiasts, because God knows I know they exist. But in this case, even if it's just brand-based snobbery, the products being purchased are still incredibly high quality. Are people buying those products for other reasons than rote performance? I'm sure they are. But that doesn't mean all that much in this instance.


    I decided to try this, only not with laptops.

    - 27" iMac, i5 processor, 4GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 - $1999
    - Inspiron 580 basic (i5 processor, same speed, 6GB ram, same speed, same HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB) (799) + 27" monitor from dell (849) - $1648. And say $100 for some speakers - $1748

    Now, drop down a tier.

    - 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB ram (to match the dell build), ATI Radeon HD 4670 - $1699. Funnily enough, this is the same price as the above dell.
    - Inspiron 560, 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB ram, same HDD, 21'5" monitor - $1100, add $100 for that same video card and $100 for speakers again - $1300. Throw in $100 for installation fees for the video card and you get $1400

    Sure, it's not exactly the same, but apple doesn't make standard desktop boxes and all laptops are closed HW systems anyway, so iMac to desktop is a better example of open vs closed HW systems. The mac pros are a different matter entirely.

    Now, since apple uses the exact same hardware as all other PCs, why the price differences? The experience? Is osx that much more expensive than windows?

    Also, it's funny that you list offering the ability to run both windows and osx natively as an advantage. Any computer is capable of running either natively. Would you like it if microsoft decided to force people to use only approved hardware?

    Phyphor on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    apple makes full desktops

    called MacPros

    they make it a whore and a half to upgrade them tho

    nexuscrawler on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    The increased price is partly just because it's Apple, yes, but partly because hand-in-hand with it being Apple is it being a beautifully designed product, in the fullest sense of that word.

    I mean just for a start; the Inspiron 560 looks like this

    Dell-Inspiron-560-Desktop.jpg

    and the iMac looks like this

    apple-imac-aluminum.jpg

    On top of that is the fact that Apple cares about design at every stage of the process (in terms of usability and user experience) whereas for almost every other company it's an afterthought.

    If - as nerds often are - you're not worried about user experience then it's not going to be worth it to you. If you do care, then there is simply no company that does it as well as Apple.

    bongi on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    apple makes full desktops

    called MacPros

    they make it a whore and a half to upgrade them tho

    depends on what you are upgrading.

    the RAM, HDD, etc. are the easiest I have ever had to deal with. Same with the wireless internals and access to the PCIe slots.

    Getting to the processor is another matter altogether, and is best left in Apple's hands. Holy shit is that a PITA.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    The increased price is partly just because it's Apple, yes, but partly because hand-in-hand with it being Apple is it being a beautifully designed product, in the fullest sense of that word.

    I mean just for a start; the Inspiron 560 looks like this

    On top of that is the fact that Apple cares about design at every stage of the process (in terms of usability and user experience) whereas for almost every other company it's an afterthought.

    If - as nerds often are - you're not worried about user experience then it's not going to be worth it to you. If you do care, then there is simply no company that does it as well as Apple.

    Stick the box under the desk and they're both basically a monitor, the PC just has more wires.

    As for usability, I give you the mighty mouse.

    Phyphor on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the MacPros are also hilariously overpriced

    then again now that they use Xeons it's not such a bad comparison

    nexuscrawler on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    The increased price is partly just because it's Apple, yes, but partly because hand-in-hand with it being Apple is it being a beautifully designed product, in the fullest sense of that word.

    I mean just for a start; the Inspiron 560 looks like this

    On top of that is the fact that Apple cares about design at every stage of the process (in terms of usability and user experience) whereas for almost every other company it's an afterthought.

    If - as nerds often are - you're not worried about user experience then it's not going to be worth it to you. If you do care, then there is simply no company that does it as well as Apple.

    Stick the box under the desk and they're both basically a monitor, the PC just has more wires.

    As for usability, I give you the mighty mouse.

    So you're saying that if you ignore the fact that there is no box for the iMac, they're identical.

    Right.

    The Mighty Mouse is okay. Not as good as some of their other products, sure.

    bongi on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think even the HP TouchSmarts are cheaper and they have better specs and a touch screen.

    Also "design at every stage of the process" doesn't mean anything. You might as well say that they've got Zazz.

    DanHibiki on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    apple makes full desktops

    called MacPros

    they make it a whore and a half to upgrade them tho

    How exactly?

    Also--and this is common sense, so I probably shouldn't even bother pointing this out--beauty is a highly subjective thing. It's an entirely valid opinion to think that the iMac's central body looks like an exceptionally bulky and clumsy monitor versus a typically LCD monitor. It's valid to think it isn't.

    Compactness and ease of transport is less subjective--giving the iMac the upper hand, I'd say, since that bulk and clumsy extra-thick monitor contains the processor. In terms of cables, the iMac doesn't really have that much of an advantage--neither company will bother advertising it, but you're still going to have cables for power, ethernet (probably), a printer (almost certainly if you have a printer), and other USB devices. iMacs don't magically escape that issue by having a different layout (of course, nor does the Dell setup).

    Synthesis on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    To get back on topic (sort of) has anyone been able to find metrics from the App Store/iTunes on what type of devices are accessing? I found a graph that showed "iPod vs iPhone" but didn't say jack about which model of each.

    Failing that - is anyone still using an OG iPhone/Touch?

    lots of folks are still using old school iPhones and touches; not everyone is like me and absolutely has to have the newest and shiniest every year.

    Speaking of which, the upcoming iPhone looks so damn sexy... a little out of character for sure, but neat design.

    last I heard that was a knockoff out of Japan

    GizModo's teardown looks pretty convincing.

    http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

    I'm not ready to make an "eat my cock" wager yet though.

    Edit: Holy fuck, 960x640?

    Wow, if that's true then someone's just been fired. However, isn't claiming "lost" property as your own technically theft?

    Coldred on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    the MacPros are also hilariously overpriced

    then again now that they use Xeons it's not such a bad comparison
    Yeah, USED to be hilariously overpriced.

    Now, they are pretty darn close to comparable workstations (note that I didn't say desktops).

    In fact, the $3,299 Mac Pro offered by Apple has a 3600 dollar analog from HP.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Compactness and ease of transport is less subjective--giving the iMac the upper hand, I'd say, since that bulk and clumsy extra-thick monitor contains the processor. In terms of cables, the iMac doesn't really have that much of an advantage--neither company will bother advertising it, but you're still going to have cables for power, ethernet (probably), a printer (almost certainly if you have a printer), and other USB devices. iMacs don't magically escape that issue by having a different layout (of course, nor does the Dell setup).

    In a full-on apple household, you would wirelessly connect your iMac. Wireless N is more than enough for anything you are doing on the thing, so ethernet isn't needed. The iMacs come with wireless keyboards and mice now, so there are no cables on that front. Also, chances are your printer is connected to your Airport (Wireless router) so that everyone can use it.

    really, the only wire coming off the back of the iMac is the power cord nowadays, and your ipod/camera sync cables as they are needed. It's pretty clean.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
Sign In or Register to comment.