As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Solution for Wired Router

SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' CanuckRegistered User regular
So we have a wired router/network, and we're happy with it. However, we have a few wireless devices that we'd like to be able to hook up. The only hardware I've found so far that could help us is expensive and meant for hotels and the like, pretty much hitting a mouse with a mallet. Does anybody know of an inexpensive device that we could connect to our wired router that'll produce a wireless signal?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
SwashbucklerXX on

• Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Unless I'm missing something, any wireless 'router' will work for you. You just have to make sure that only one of the devices (current wired connected to a modem [assumption] or the new wifi router) is serving up the DHCP.

For instance, I have a ISP provided wired router in the basement with only 1 ethernet port on it. This is split into 4 hard lines with a cheap 4 port switch. One line extends up to the livingroom, which is connected into a wifi router. The other line is extended up to a room above my garage that serves up an ethernet line to another switch, to 3 different systems.

There was some trial and error involved with the configs, but online searches such as 'wireless router as a switch' helped out alot.

tachyon on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, pretty much any wireless router would work, just turn DHCP off on the wireless router and connect it LAN to LAN port with your wired router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023&cm_re=520gu-_-33-320-023-_-Product

I have one of these - I threw DD-WRT on it because the ASUS firmware is worthless.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The above suggestions will work, especially if you buy a DD WRT compatible router.

An Airport express might actually be perfect for you, with the added bonus of air-tunes support if you have a stereo / can put your wifi device near said stereo.

Edit: I am using an Airport express for this exact purpose, and it's been awesome.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The above suggestions will work, especially if you buy a DD WRT compatible router.

An Airport express might actually be perfect for you, with the added bonus of air-tunes support if you have a stereo / can put your wifi device near said stereo.

Edit: I am using an Airport express for this exact purpose, and it's been awesome.

Ooh, the Airport Express sounds awesome, my husband is pretty jazzed for it too, because we were thinking of getting an iPod or something for home use, and looks like this sucker fulfils both needs. Thanks everyone!

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you have any questions about the more advanced features of the airport express or set up or whatever feel free to ask, I've been using mine every which way for about 6 months now, and I bought in a gamble that it would have the features I wanted since the best buy rep knew nothing about what it could do other than be an airport express. I've got this thread on blue dot :P

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like we're set for now. We picked one up and have it set up as a wireless bridge to our wired network. The Wii is all connected up, and I can connect my DS by temporarily disabling security (because even when it's set to WEP the DS still says the security is incompatible, because Nintendo is stupid). Doesn't look too difficult to set it up as a printer server and with AirTunes. Pretty awesome.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the Airport Express can configure a "guest" network, you may be able to use that as an unsecure side for your DS.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    birrubirru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    If the Airport Express can configure a "guest" network, you may be able to use that as an unsecure side for your DS.

That's only available on the much more expensive Extreme and Time Capsule models. Another restriction of Apple's Guest Network implementation is that it requires the Airport device to act as the router. It wouldn't work bridged to an existing wired router.

birru on
  • Options
    birrubirru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like we're set for now. We picked one up and have it set up as a wireless bridge to our wired network. The Wii is all connected up, and I can connect my DS by temporarily disabling security (because even when it's set to WEP the DS still says the security is incompatible, because Nintendo is stupid). Doesn't look too difficult to set it up as a printer server and with AirTunes. Pretty awesome.

I haven't had problems connecting my DS Lite to my older Airport Express (802.11b/g only) with WEP enabled. It's running an 802.11b/g only network. The newer Airport Express supports 802.11n. Perhaps changing its radio mode to 802.11b/g at 2.4GHz would help.

birru on