As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Return of the Dark: Attempted Redemption Edition [Updates on Pg 7 & 8]

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Dragon Age one is not understandable by people who haven't played the game. Consider for a moment: someone who hasn't played the game has likely never come across the six-breasted demon character before. So that final panel comes out of nowhere. I have no idea what that thing is, much less her personality or her connection to the men in the previous panels.

To be fair to the OP, i dont understand half the jokes that are written for the Penny Arcade comics. Should i go around criticising Penny Arcade just because i never play video games?
    Criticising the art and writing is fine, but i dont think its fair to criticise a comic just because it only appeals to a small select group of people.

Overall, if it didnt look too much like PA comics, id say these are pretty cool (in regards to art and composition).
    push your designs more and experiment.

I don't read the PA comics (haven't since I was in like... gradeschool)... and I know very few people who do.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a mere shadow of my former video game glory days, but I still find PA consistently funny because while a strip might be about a specific video game, the jokes--set up, delivery and punchline--are written pretty universally. I can laugh at the latest Splinter Cell comic without having actually played the game cos it's funny. I imagine it'd be eve funnier to me if I had played the game, but on its own it still works solid.

And I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. To be funny, your jokes have to be jokes, not just referential humor.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Since gradeschool?! Fuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooooooooooooou!

edited April 2010
    Since gradeschool?! Fuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooooooooooooou!

Hey... that was only 7 years ago. edit: but I'll agree, you don't need to know what game they're talking about to get the joke- just a basic understanding of how certain game genres work and you're good to go.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mike and Jerry are very rarely so specific that you just "won't get it, unless you played it" and if they are it's usually just funny in it's own right.
    They seem to be very careful about not alienating the part of the audience who hasn't played the game in question.

I still have no idea what an Elebit is, but this comic never fails to crack me up.
    217481608_7D3Y4-L-2.jpg

Look at that creepy little fucking thing, hillarious.

Mustang on
    edited April 2010
    haha, exactly, 'Stang. The blank, godless stare of that little thing sells the comic--not the game it is referencing.

edited April 2010
    I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.......

Nappuccino on

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok so let me try something here. This is a script I did for a Mass Effect 2 comic ages ago. Its not drawn yet but I'm wondering if it would be considered funny before I spend hours drawing and colouring to find that it isn't. Its hard for me to be judgemental because I think its funny, but I thought the others were to.
    FRAME 1:
    Shepard: No, we'll let the law handle this sick bastard. *Shepard lowers Jacob's gun-arm* (If you've played the game, this would be Jacob's mission)

FRAME 2:
    Shepard: Don't give in, you don't have to kill him. *Shepard stands aside but talks to Jack*

FRAME 3:
    Reporter: Commander Shepard, how about an interv... *Reporter on Citadel, don't know her name*
    Shepard: Yah! *Punches reporter*

Or something non-game related like this, its fairly low dialogue but I still think it seems funny though its easier for me because I can see the art in my head already.
    FRAME 1:
    *Blake pets his new PC system*
    FRAME 2:
    *Electric sparks and a small flame occur inside the case*
    FRAME 3:
    *Blake walks nearby, fire glow emanating from doorway*

FRAME 1:
    *Blake curls up on countertop to avoid fire-appear to be thinking*
    FRAME 2:
    *"Months prior" *
    Andy: What do you mean you didn't buy insurance?
    Blake: We don't need insurance, BEHOLD! *Holds up a piece of paper*
    FRAME 3:
    *Close up of sign with list of rules, says stuff like "No Fires"*
    Andy: No pregnancies?
    Blake: I think that will hold up in court.
    Andy: Definitely. Try it.

FRAME 1:
    Andy: What the hell happened!? *house burns in background*
    *Blake looks down at the singed sign*
    FRAME 2:
    *Blake looks to the side, sees a pregnant woman*
    FRAME 3:
    *Blake falls to his knees, arms in the air* "BETRAYAL!"
    And thanks for the comments Combat Knight.

DarkWarrior on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i think it's okay, but it falls into the same trap as the dragon age one; that is to say if people haven't played the game, then it makes no sense whatsoever and isn't really funny

having not played dragon age i got NOTHING out of the DA comic, because i had no idea who any of the characters were, and had no idea what the deal was with the wigged paper bag

i think part of the reason that penny arcade are so successful with their comics about games is that for the most part the jokes are not reliant on people having played a specific game

most of their jokes are painted with very broad strokes, and generally poke fun at general game concepts. For example, the recent splinter cell comic! I've never played splinter cell before, but i get the joke; henchmen soliloquising instead of just finding and shooting the guy! Nothing too specific, or requiring intimate knowledge of the game.

for example, a comic poking fun at mass effect may have sheperd in it. But instead of taking on the exact personality of sheperd, he would instead act as "generic sci-fi/game hero, who happens to be sheperd because we just played mass effect", which allows for jokes with broader appeal

basically, to anyone who hadn't played mass effect, the above script would just be weird!

panel 1: dude #1 tells dude #2 not to shoot someone for some reason

panel 2: dude#1 talks while moving over to a tattooed bald chick, who doesn't have any lines and whose presence isn't explained

panel 3: suddenly we are in a completely different place, and dude#1 punches a reporter for no reason

by making reference to very specific events in games, you effectively alienate any of your audience who haven't played that game. And if you're making a lot of comics about games, what are the chances that everyone reading has played the same games as you?

man that was a pretty disjointed post; hope it made sense overall!

Fletcher on
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm...I thought it would work for people who haven't played the game because the premise is Shepard essentially talking two people out of doing what they probably should do because its wrong or whatever (THe art implying they're going to kill their target) and then the final panel is him taking the first opportunity HE gets to go be violent on someone seemingly innocent.

But thanks for your comments. Did you read the second one?

DarkWarrior on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh right, i hadn't noticed that the second panel was meant to be in jack's mission, i thought he was still talking to jacob while walking over to jack for some reason

i don't know, its still pretty specific

i'll give the other one a look in the morning, because i need to finish drawing a comic before i fall asleep!

Fletcher on
    edited April 2010
    Well I'd say this is pretty specific.

783896865_8WQrw-L.jpg

Though I recognise the difference in using known characters, its still using references that only people whove played it would get. Its not really about games, just will do some on them if I have good ideas, its more side stories and movies, i.e. I have a Kick-Ass one I'm trying to organise in my head at the moment.

EDIT: I Appreciate the comments Fletch, was hoping you'd come in, I aspire to be as funny as you.

DarkWarrior on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Regarding PA itself being specific to games... I'm going to simply agree with what Mars Elliot and Mustang said, but I'll add: even when PA do make specific strips, they can get away with it because they are established artists who have a very good understanding of comics. You aren't and don't.

Hmmm...I thought it would work for people who haven't played the game because the premise is Shepard essentially talking two people out of doing what they probably should do because its wrong or whatever (THe art implying they're going to kill their target) and then the final panel is him taking the first opportunity HE gets to go be violent on someone seemingly innocent.
    The problem with this is that the way you've written it, there's no focus. A good joke has a strong skeleton: set-up, development, punchline.

Your Mass Effect joke is: (set-up) Shepard avoids unnecessary violence. (development) Shepard avoids even more unnecessary violence. (punchline) Shepard indulges in unecessary violence.

But the way you've written it is weak. You've simply copy-pasted scenes from the game without making it clear what the point of each panel is -- like Fletcher said, it just reads as: (set-up) Shepard stops a guy from shooting someone. (development) Shepard talks to some new person. (punchline) Shepard punches a lady. The reader is too busy trying to understand these new characters and figure out what they're doing to pay attention to the set-up. You need to spell it out more clearly.

Your other comic is pretty poor too. The first strip simply isn't funny -- the punchline is that the computer is prone to fire, but the set-up doesn't establish that the computer is not supposed to do that. It just seems kind of unfortunate that Blake's nice new computer has caught on fire.

The second and third strips are okay. They didn't make me laugh, though.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
    edited April 2010
    The first is not really intended to be funny, its just setup to the second. I get what you're saying though, I could maybe use a drink on top that gets spilled as he turns away, drips into the computer and starts the fire?

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    The first is not really intended to be funny, its just setup to the second. I get what you're saying though, I could maybe use a drink on top that gets spilled as he turns away, drips into the computer and starts the fire?

I figured the first strip was intended as a set-up. But it's still a strip in its own right, and it needs a joke.

The water thing isn't really all that funny. It's still just unfortunate: he's fond of his new computer, then he carelessly spills his drink over it and ruins it.

Lieberkuhn on
    edited April 2010

I figured the first strip was intended as a set-up. But it's still a strip in its own right, and it needs a joke.

The water thing isn't really all that funny. It's still just unfortunate: he's fond of his new computer, then he carelessly spills his drink over it and ruins it.

Aren't unfortunate incidents funny?

I'm not sure what else to use...how about a ridiculous looking PC filled to the brim with all manner of stuff, some sort of uber pc, then the second panel is his finger caressing thepower switch, the third is an explosion roaring out of a doorway? Maybe some implication its hand built.

DarkWarrior on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You have an issue here that I don't know can be solved, but I'm hoping you'll understand from my post, because I said it on the previous page in a more lengthy rant. Alas, I shall repeat.

Stop trying to tell us what is funny and stop trying to convince us that what you've done is funny. It is not a decision for you to make. We can only look and potentially laugh at what you've done IN THE COMIC. Anything after that is completely useless. You will never get an "Oh, yeah, you're right! It IS funny! HAR HAR" reaction out of anyone here after you've had to explain a joke. If people don't think it's funny, then they don't think it's funny. If that includes too many people for your liking (like in this thread), then you need to make changes instead of fighting for the status quo. Sometimes tweaks work, but starting over with a script is usually the best approach, I find.

Unfortunate incidents ARE funny sometimes, but only when they are presented in a funny way. Help us relate to a situation that you create. Misdirect us, give some suspense, or make it very over-the-top. A computer exploding from water just ain't gonna get it done as is. The tough thing is that you are using material that has been really hammered away at in the last ten years. It'll be tough to come up with original lol-worthy stuff. It can totally be done, you just have to put a lot of effort into it. Sometimes, for my comic, I will think on just a single line for HOURS before I think of something I consider funny or clever. You can't just whip up these things. They are going to take effort and a lot of time if you want them to be funny. If that doesn't happen, or you aren't willing to do that, it's going to get rough for you.

JLM-AWP on
    edited April 2010
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

You have an issue here that I don't know can be solved, but I'm hoping you'll understand from my post, because I said it on the previous page in a more lengthy rant. Alas, I shall repeat.

Stop trying to tell us what is funny and stop trying to convince us that what you've done is funny. It is not a decision for you to make. We can only look and potentially laugh at what you've done IN THE COMIC. Anything after that is completely useless. You will never get an "Oh, yeah, you're right! It IS funny! HAR HAR" reaction out of anyone here after you've had to explain a joke. If people don't think it's funny, then they don't think it's funny. If that includes too many people for your liking (like in this thread), then you need to make changes instead of fighting for the status quo. Sometimes tweaks work, but starting over with a script is usually the best approach, I find.

Unfortunate incidents ARE funny sometimes, but only when they are presented in a funny way. Help us relate to a situation that you create. Misdirect us, give some suspense, or make it very over-the-top. A computer exploding from water just ain't gonna get it done as is. The tough thing is that you are using material that has been really hammered away at in the last ten years. It'll be tough to come up with original lol-worthy stuff. It can totally be done, you just have to put a lot of effort into it. Sometimes, for my comic, I will think on just a single line for HOURS before I think of something I consider funny or clever. You can't just whip up these things. They are going to take effort and a lot of time if you want them to be funny. If that doesn't happen, or you aren't willing to do that, it's going to get rough for you.

I was genuinely asking,Lieb mentioned twice about unfortunate incidents so I was actually asking if it was just something that doesn't work in hmour, not telling him.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Eh. JLM-AWP gave you your answer: unfortunate incidents are funny only if you frame them properly. Simply showing something unfortunate isn't enough.

I broke my leg while crossing the road. <-- Unfortunate.
    I broke my leg while crossing the road because I tripped over the chicken. <-- Funny.
    I broke my leg while crossing the road because I'm old and I tripped. <-- Tragic.
    I broke my leg after tripping over the mobster who'd been chasing me so he could break my legs. <-- Amusing irony.
    I broke my leg while rushing into traffic to save a young child, who died in the resultant accident. <-- Tragic irony.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Tubesteak SamuraiTubesteak Samurai Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can I just clear up that the books you were referred to were actually written by Scott McCloud.

Scott Kurtz has written exactly one book on the subject (along with three other authors). It's also worth a read, though.

Tubesteak Samurai on
    edited April 2010
    Eh. JLM-AWP gave you your answer: unfortunate incidents are funny only if you frame them properly. Simply showing something unfortunate isn't enough.

I broke my leg while crossing the road because I tripped over the chicken. <-- Funny.
    I broke my leg while crossing the road because I'm old and I tripped. <-- Tragic.
    I broke my leg after tripping over the mobster who'd been chasing me so he could break my legs. <-- Amusing irony.
    I broke my leg while rushing into traffic to save a young child, who died in the resultant accident. <-- Tragic irony.

That last one just sounds awful.

DarkWarrior on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can I just clear up that the books you were referred to were actually written by Scott McCloud.

Scott Kurtz has written exactly one book on the subject (along with three other authors). It's also worth a read, though.

Dude I just came in here and was about to say the same thing. We are like pee in a pod.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Dude I just came in here and was about to say the same thing. We are like pee in a pod.

Hey understanding comics is written by scott mcGODDAMMIT YOU ASSHOLES GET OUT OF MY THREAD

Metalbourne on
    edited April 2010
    Im practicing using shapes and such to form a figure and using it to redesign my characters. What about these? I don't think they look in that HB style anymore and I tried using more obvious thicker and thinner lines.
    tester3.png

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010

That last one just sounds awful.

Well, yeah, that's the point. The unfortunate circumstance turns into an awful one because of the way it's framed. Look at the chicken one again. If you change "the chicken" into "a dead animal", it stops being funny and becomes horrible, even though you haven't changed the story.

Lieberkuhn on
    edited April 2010
    Im practicing using shapes and such to form a figure and using it to redesign my characters. What about these? I don't think they look in that HB style anymore and I tried using more obvious thicker and thinner lines.
    tester3.png
    It looks the same to me. Their faces are identical to previous efforts. I guess you were focusing on bodies, and they do look a bit different; the arms in particular are better. But it still looks almost exactly the same as before.

You're falling into the same old trap of focusing on your style instead of focusing on the basics. Using thicker lines on the outside -- why did you think it would improve the image? How would you go about shading this? What shapes would you use to construct their faces? Why did you put folds in their clothes in the places you did? If you can't answer these questions, then your understanding of the basics is not good enough. Study anatomy. Study the way light shades objects. Study the way cloth drapes across objects. Study the way objects appear to change shape when they're rotated away from you. Draw from life. Do all these things every day.

Lieberkuhn on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    [ Using thicker lines on the outside -- why did you think it would improve the image? How would you go about shading this?

It's hilarious, because that's exactly what was touched on in the very beginning of Andrew Hussie's inking tutorial.

It might be andrew hussies brother's inking tutorial, I forget. either way it was linked here.

Metalbourne on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah... I linked it. Something tells me he stopped at the second picture and didn't read any of the text...

Nappuccino on

• ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DarkWarrior, try using some thick-thin lines (where the thickness of the line changes as you draw it), vis-à-vis these drawings from some random blog:

6a00e550992a158833010534dc7a1e970c-800wi

...except make your thick/thin lines look better than that. Try different variations on the theme in a series of drawings.

Paradise on
    edited April 2010
    I read it, I thought the thick outline made them pop, thats all, I just tried something different. I thought the guy on the right looked pretty cool with the thick lines. And the first guy looks completely different, he has no hair for a start, they have different mouths, eyebrows, necks and jawlines.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    The thickness of the lines changes to give your characters depth- not just to make them pop. The thicker the line the closer something appears to the viewer so... if you have one leg infront of another leg the outlines around them should not be the same width. That, however, is exactly what you did.

Nappuccino on

• JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I second the bits about the clothes and how they are draped, the wrinkles/folds, etc. The shirts look REALLY off to me. Especially the dude on the left's bicep area. He looks disturbingly lacking in arm diameter from the way the shirt hangs.

JLM-AWP on
    edited April 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    The thickness of the lines changes to give your characters depth- not just to make them pop. The thicker the line the closer something appears to the viewer so... if you have one leg infront of another leg the outlines around them should not be the same width. That, however, is exactly what you did.

More like this?
    tester3.png
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    I second the bits about the clothes and how they are draped, the wrinkles/folds, etc. The shirts look REALLY off to me. Especially the dude on the left's bicep area. He looks disturbingly lacking in arm diameter from the way the shirt hangs.

Thats a style thing, I gave them popeye arms, they have super thin upper arms. The guy on the left though should have his left arm further back, the perspective is off, makes his arm look really short.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    That does look better, yes- Keep that idea in mind when you draw and I think it'll definitely help.

Nappuccino on

edited April 2010
    Ok thats one problem down.

Do you have any link,s on anatomy drawing?

DarkWarrior on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a hell of a lot of useful links and book recommendations (on anatomy and other things) in the first post of the Questions and Tutorials thread.

NightDragon on
    edited April 2010
    [ Using thicker lines on the outside -- why did you think it would improve the image? How would you go about shading this?

It's hilarious, because that's exactly what was touched on in the very beginning of Andrew Hussie's inking tutorial.

It might be andrew hussies brother's inking tutorial, I forget. either way it was linked here.
    Oh my goodness Andrew Hussie has an inking tutorial!

Hussie can draw swirly lines like no other. <3

Lieberkuhn on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    It might be andrew hussies brother's inking tutorial,

hahahaaaa

tynic on
    edited April 2010
    Had a go with some quick shading/colouring.
    tester30.png

DarkWarrior on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it me or does that color scheme make the character look a little feminine.

MagicToaster on