As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Week o Games, 4/18: Monster Hunter Tri, Breath of Death VII is Available NOW (XBLIG)

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology

Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 110 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 4/18/10 - 4/24/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

181175b.jpg

Beat City

Windy X Windam

PC

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

PS3

After Burner Climax

PSP

Blood Bowl (I thought this was already out?)

Wii

230142b1.jpg

Monster Hunter Tri

230795b.jpg

All Star Karate

Xbox360

bodcoverf4s.png

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (Xbox Live Indie Games, only 80 MS points, aka $1.00)

After Burner Climax

Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper

It's a great week this week guys!

Wii owners get the much anticipated Monster Hunter Tri! Yay!

And...

logosmallo.png

On Xbox Live Indie Games. It's a parody game based on classic 8-bit RPGs. The gameplay is akin to Dragon Quest, except, it has been upgraded with modern gameplay amenities, and also given a pretty strategic combo-based battle system, as well as a system of multi-character "Unite" attacks. The level-up system is also "branching" in that you choose your upgrade as you go. Big overworld, funny parody story, lots of optional hidden dungeons, 5+ hours of gameplay, normal/hard/score attack modes! Only a dollar! Support PA G&T indie games development! :D

It's going into Review [strike]tomorrow[/strike] right now, which is the XBLIG final testing phase, and should be posted up on the XBox Live Indie Games service right after that -- so it should be up at the end of this week!

Breath of Death VII The Beginning is available now on XBox Live Indie Games, here:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585504bd

For $1 , or 80 MS points

slash000 on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    buying breath of death

backlog challenge be damned

Dehumanized on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man
    that does sound fun

Local H Jay on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eh, I have 200 Spacebucks laying around, I'll give it a shot

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd support it if I had the system.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My dollar is ready to go

Poor Monster Hunter Tri, going up against Breath of Death

UnbreakableVow on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the Wii will finally have a game I'm going to play for awhile. It comes with the classic controller pro, right?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the Wii will finally have a game I'm going to play for awhile. It comes with the classic controller pro, right?

Well there was once a listing for a Classic Controller bundle but I can't find the listing on gamestop's site any more.

slash000 on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Slash I think there's a conflict of interests in your OP making.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think it mentioned in at least one of the local advertisements in my region that there is a bundle with the new classic controller, as well as software-only SKUs of the game.

Dehumanized on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Slash I think there's a conflict of interests in your OP making.

He wants to make sure everyone knows what awesome games are coming out and he wants to make a gazillion dollars. Nope, not seeing a problem there. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked Breath of Death IV and VI better. Anyone who calls VII their favorite is obviously a mouthbreathing fanboy who only started playing RPGs with VII.

(Will be buying the instant it goes up. Cannot wait. <3<3<3)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any chances of seeing BoD on the zune or WinPhone7?

Artereis on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    I liked Breath of Death IV and VI better. Anyone who calls VII their favorite is obviously a mouthbreathing fanboy who only started playing RPGs with VII.

(Will be buying the instant it goes up. Cannot wait. <3<3<3)

Lies, I.V is the best.

(I've got 120 spare points around, will buy once internet is restored)

Sipex on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Slash, I'll be buying Breath of Death...it sounds awesome. You guys should be rewarded.

Also, I'm picking up my Monster Hunter Tri Classic Controller Pro bundle that I had preordered tomorrow. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited April 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    Any chances of seeing BoD on the zune or WinPhone7?

Given that I'm the programmer and own neither of those, it's highly unlikely.

RainbowDespair on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PB Winterbottom for PC?
    Hmm.

Xagarath on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Only room for one rpg this week. Sorry capcom.

solsovly on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, I remember playing Breath of Death III Alpha on Virtual Boy. That shit was fantastic - worth owning a system mounted on a tripod for. Only a dollar for VII? I'll take two.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Breath of Death II: Death Harder was far superior than any of its sequels.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BoD is so bought the second I see it <3

Quite fancy some After Burner, if the reviews are any good. Definitely going to buy Final Fight this week too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll have to try out Breath of Death VII. III is one of my favorite old-school RPGs, with it's surprisingly well-translated story and timeless soundtrack. VI wasn't my thing, but that's probably just because I've grown out of them. But VII looks good, so why not?

Renzo on
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Breath of Death II: Death Harder was far superior than any of its sequels.

Rainbow, Slash: this.

Edit: Also, what kind of game is MHTri anyway? I got the demo disc from Gamestop but since my Wii is packed away for an impending move, I have yet to try it.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd love to pick up BoD but sadly my 360 recently died. I will get it to it someday though! I will also probably check out After Burner.

Gibbs, as for Monster Hunter, it's kind of like Phantasy Star Online? I played a bit of the original Monster Hunter on PS2, and it's the pure definition of a not-for-everyone grindy dungeon crawling game.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    Edit: Also, what kind of game is MHTri anyway? I got the demo disc from Gamestop but since my Wii is packed away for an impending move, I have yet to try it.

I would say it's like a team-based multiplayer Demon Souls with huge weapons and huger enemies.

It's essentially a skill-based action MMO in the sense that you can harvest/mine/forage for items to improve your equipment, but it's ultimately up to your strategy that determines whether you live or die on the hunt for giant dragons.

Slash, I'm totally picking up BoD VII. :^:

I didn't know Windy X Windam, the fighting game on the DS, was being localized...

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Quite fancy some After Burner, if the reviews are any good. Definitely going to buy Final Fight this week too.

After Burner Climax was fun in the arcades, but it was pretty much a facelift of After Burner 2, and the most fun thing about it was swinging around in the moving chair, just like the first game. If they can enhance it, or add some replay value like they did with AB:Black Falcon, it could be worth it

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited April 2010
    Based on the progress bar, we've already gotten 2-3 peer reviews. I believe you need around 8-10 to pass. Not bad for only being in peer review for about 10 hours.

RainbowDespair on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll definitely be getting BoD. I have some extra points and was looking through to test out an indie game, and then I saw the signature and it interested me enough. I could definitely see the indie section being a great venue for shorter oldschool RPGs.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

After Burner Climax was fun in the arcades, but it was pretty much a facelift of After Burner 2, and the most fun thing about it was swinging around in the moving chair, just like the first game. If they can enhance it, or add some replay value like they did with AB:Black Falcon, it could be worth it

Ah cheers :^:

No decent arcades around here so I've not played it in any incarnation, but I watched a video and something about the 'locking-on' mechanism combined with the bright graphics yanked my nostalgia gland.
    I didn't really get into the Outrun XBLA remake, but this still has some significant pull on me...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Gibbs wrote: »

I would say it's like a team-based multiplayer Demon Souls with huge weapons and huger enemies.

It's essentially a skill-based action MMO in the sense that you can harvest/mine/forage for items to improve your equipment, but it's ultimately up to your strategy that determines whether you live or die on the hunt for giant dragons.

Slash, I'm totally picking up BoD VII. :^:

I didn't know Windy X Windam, the fighting game on the DS, was being localized...

I tried the PSP version but single player and the fact that it was soooooooooooooo slow turned me off. I really liked Demon Souls. Worth having another shot if I didn't like the PSP versions?

solsovly on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can count on my dollar slash.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monster Hunter is one of the most popular games in Japan (and nowhere else, mind you). I'm buying a Wii just to play Monster Hunter Tri (and probably selling the Wii after I'm done with the game). It's definitely NOT a console RPG in the traditional sense, although there's a hojillion bits of gear that you can upgrade and use. It is very much an action game, and a difficult one at that (about on-par with Demon's Souls, except less forgiving in certain areas and more forgiving in others). Of course, I'm a hardcore Monster Hunter player (I've logged over 1200 hours in the series), so my opinion is just a LITTLE biased.

There's quite a community here at PA that plans on playing the game, with veterans of the series and newbies alike. You can find us at the Monster Hunter thread here.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I think I'll get Monster Hunter if I can get another person to play with me at all times.

Bartholamue on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I preordered Tri just to get the demo disk to see if Monster Hunter was "my thing." It's not. I'll have to pick up a Classic Controller Pro separate at some point.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You had to pre-order it?

At my local GameStop they have a gigantic box of Monster Hunter Tri demo discs with a sign that says FREE - TAKE ONE on it

I only played the demo for a Monster Hunter game on PSP, and it was so not my thing

UnbreakableVow on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some GameStops decided to be stingy with them, from what I heard. But if you pressure them, since it's supposed to be a freebie (Part of promoting the game), you could probably get one without pre-ordering. Little late now, but still.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh well. I can just move that $5 over to some other game so it's not a big deal. Plenty of games coming down the pipe.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Monster Hunter is one of the most popular games in Japan (and nowhere else, mind you). I'm buying a Wii just to play Monster Hunter Tri (and probably selling the Wii after I'm done with the game). It's definitely NOT a console RPG in the traditional sense, although there's a hojillion bits of gear that you can upgrade and use. It is very much an action game, and a difficult one at that (about on-par with Demon's Souls, except less forgiving in certain areas and more forgiving in others). Of course, I'm a hardcore Monster Hunter player (I've logged over 1200 hours in the series), so my opinion is just a LITTLE biased.

There's quite a community here at PA that plans on playing the game, with veterans of the series and newbies alike. You can find us at the Monster Hunter thread here.

Speaking as someone who's tried both of the PSP Monster Hunters and just hasn't been able to enjoy them, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with Tri because they think it's one thing and it ends up being something totally different. But hey, I could be pleasantly surprised.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Breath of Death VII just got Approved. That means it'll probably be up on Xbox Live Indie Games in a few hours!!!

slash000 on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought MH Tri though I shouldn't have, coachella has left my bank account a smouldering ruin. It is awesome though. So so fun to not be playing on a tiny screen.

corin7 on
    edited April 2010
    I also got MH Tri.

Bartholamue on