As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sketches

^d00d^^d00d^ Registered User new member
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
hey guys i'm 'fresh off the assembly line' new here. the name's ravi and i'm 18 from trinidad in the south caribbean. never taken my sketching very seriously until about 2 months ago. decided to start putting a little more effort into my pieces and also to begin collecting them.

heard this was a pretty cool place to get concrete critiques and advice for, well... art related things so i decided i would join.

here's two of my recent sketches in order of completion.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/trini-archer/04-01-2007102836PM.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/trini-archer/04-16-2007065052PM.jpg

^d00d^ on

• galengalen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not bad, but kind of sloppy. Don't scribble as much, and I think your stuff would be a lot stronger.

galen on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The second one.

That mouth is funky, almost like it's two sizes too big for the girl. Also, those fingers are looking flat because the outline shows up too much.

Godfather on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Protip: embed your images in your post with tags so we don't have to clicky links  First one has freaky huge eyes.  In both pictures it looks like you're scratching out each and every individual hair. With most hair types it's much better practice to rather think of it as "clumps" and build it on the scalp almost as if it were strips of cloth than by describing every solitary hair, if that makes any sense.  Are you using reference photos for these?

Scosglen on
  • ^d00d^^d00d^ Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    hey guys, thanks alot for the input.

galen: yeah i see what you're talkin about, the first one does look scratchy. i'll try to clean that up.

godfather: yeah i think i drew her face a bit narrow-ish :S and for sure i knew, even when i was doing it, that i'd rushed the hands.

scosglen: i actually thought she looked asian in the photo i'd done it from so that kinda played itself out though her eyes. just drawing what i felt. and yeah i guess i do draw out (maybe not every single) individual hair strands. but i try to do it with a soft lead so it spreads itself out and fills up the gaps. in the first drawing i only had an HB so it didn't come out as clean as i would've wanted it to.

these are the referances:

Emily1.jpg

1244571262_l.jpg

^d00d^ on
    edited April 2007
    some hands:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/trini-archer/04-12-2007085252PM.jpg

the image was huge so i linked it instead.

^d00d^ on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You should still resize it.

NeoRedXIII on
  • CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Photobucket does have a resizing option.

Corgi on
  • mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yeah, you can't get any idea as to proportion or composition or pretty much anything when you can only look at 16% of the image at any one time.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2007
    touche.

Corgi on
  • mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I ... I think I was agreeing with resizing ... but I can see that being read differently.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Eh, I probably just confused myself. :rotate:

Corgi on
  • The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it's kewl that you are getting back into art, any reason why the sudden interest?

I want to see what you can do with color. That's what I can never really get myself into. Black & White always feels save and easy.

<<< Just a loser I guess :P

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited April 2007
    It's really just because I've never has the time in the past. Either that or I would dedicate it to something else [like counter-strike for instance :lol:]

^d00d^ on