As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Warlocks - Patch 3.1: Fun removed, Angst now a base ability

1484950515254»

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, uh, I guess I'm here to L2P.
    I hit 71 with my lock this weekend. I got into a random dungeon (Nexus) and several people there were, uh, criticizing me harshly about things, but they wouldn't explain what was wrong or how to improve - just that I wasn't doing it right. So I'm just perplexed on what I'm doing wrong.
    My lock is Affliction, and always has been, probably always will be.
    I don't have access to the armory, but my lock is Jadya on Blackhand. Is my spec horrible? Glyphs? Leftover gear from Outland that I haven't replaced? Wrong gems in those pieces? Wrong armor buff? Or what?
    In dungeons, should I not be using the imp? Should I be using a felhound or succy or vw?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Puppy for Affliction. Imp is the Destro pet. I can't look at armory from work, so can't really help anymore than that.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hit 71 with my lock this weekend. I got into a random dungeon (Nexus) and several people there were, uh, criticizing me harshly about things, but they wouldn't explain what was wrong or how to improve - just that I wasn't doing it right. So I'm just perplexed on what I'm doing wrong.
    I don't have access to the armory, but my lock is Jadya on Blackhand. Is my spec horrible? Glyphs? Leftover gear from Outland that I haven't replaced? Wrong gems in those pieces? Wrong armor buff? Or what?
    In dungeons, should I not be using the imp? Should I be using a felhound or succy or vw?

Pierce is correct - puppy is the affliction pet.

What were they telling you off about? DPS? Was it DPS on trash or DPS on bosses? For affliction those are very very different (unless something has drastically changed). If it was just kind of overall dps - well Afflocks will never really show up on dps meters well when theres trash involved, so you might not be doing as badly as they think.

I'm not sure what it would be, but you might want to have a seperate rotation for groups of trash because the normal thing really isn't going to work.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Since he didn't put points in improved felhunter, felhunter isn't going to do too much differently from any other pet. I guess he could change that.

More importantly, gemming crit isn't the way to go. You want to go with spell power. Some odd choices of gear, but that might be as simple as having missed the non-crap stuff in Outland. Gah, one of those trinkets is terrible.

Also, glyphs aren't optimal for instancing, nor is the spec, but meh, I wouldn't be one to get hung up on that.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

To be honest dude, levelling specs and end game specs are vastly different. I would just do the last 9 levels then look into what you're doing wrong because the responses will be more useful.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My meters show that I am either first or second. I usually only lose by a few. Overall damage I almost always double the next guy. This is overall damage though. On trash I just CoA and Corruption. If the other DPS hasn't killed the mobs by the time I tab+dot back, I start with UA. If they're not dead by that, I start SoC or RoF. I know RoF isn't the best, but I notice I pull aggro when I use SoC.
    On bosses I'm at about 1k DPS. Overall 850-950-ish. If there's a Ret Pally that blows things up immediately, it is, of course, lower.

I can respec slightly or spend the next couple of points into Improved Fel Hunter. I had just always thought that FelHunters are for when you're fighting casting mobs, and everything else you use the Imp.

And End, are you talking about the +32 crit trinket of mine? Should I get rid of it, or rather replace it with something else? Like everyone else, I just ran through Outland as quickly as possible, getting what I could to get to Northrend.

What Glyphs should I be using? Should I toss the Improved Siphon Life glyph?
    And I do realize the spec isn't completely optimal, but I would rather have a bit more solo survivability than not. I like that my pets get healed from me doing damage. It makes it easier to keep chain pulling when soloing. But it's not so bad that I'm doing a lot less DPS than normal, is it? Or is it really THAT bad?

Also, why not gem or get crit? My DoTs do crit, and I'm specced for it, so why not?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My meters show that I am either first or second.

Then who cares? ;-)
    I can respec slightly or spend the next couple of points into Improved Fel Hunter. I had just always thought that FelHunters are for when you're fighting casting mobs, and everything else you use the Imp.

With appropriate talents, it'd definitely be better than imp.
    And End, are you talking about the +32 crit trinket of mine? Should I get rid of it, or rather replace it with something else? Like everyone else, I just ran through Outland as quickly as possible, getting what I could to get to Northrend.

I was thinking the other one, actually, since the mana reduction isn't terribly useful. I sort of assumed you rushed through Outland though. Just make sure to pick up some non-crap ones in Northrend. It's not a huge deal though, since my alts tend to hit 70 with worse. ;-)
    What Glyphs should I be using? Should I toss the Improved Siphon Life glyph?
    And I do realize the spec isn't completely optimal, but I would rather have a bit more solo survivability than not. I like that my pets get healed from me doing damage. It makes it easier to keep chain pulling when soloing. But it's not so bad that I'm doing a lot less DPS than normal, is it? Or is it really THAT bad?

That would be a matter of debate. Frankly, I don't think it matters that much, since you're going to be making some sort of trade off -somewhere-. Plain and simple, no, it's not optimal for grouping, which might be why you got picked on, but I don't know that it'd make too much of a difference. You could probably make a few changes to make it a better trade off.

Edit: If you really wanted a better trade off, you'd probably toss improved siphon life for something like corruption (since the instant shadowbolts will be useful anywhere). That's up to you, though. In terms of spec, that'd depend on how attached you are to using the VW.
    Also, why not gem or get crit? My DoTs do crit, and I'm specced for it, so why not?

Getting crit is fine. However, gemming for it is not your best route of attack.

(I'm assuming that scaling wouldn't do some really weird things with your gear, but you might as well get used to spell power being king now. :))

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So as a mid 60's affliction lock, is RoF my only choice for trash mobs?

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    or coruption-tab if you think they will live long enough.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone have a cookie cutter pvp aff spec? I have this weird stupid survival spec for soloing ZG and BC instances/heroics that I know is a bad spec. Would like to get a decent pvp spec.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    Anyone have a cookie cutter pvp aff spec? I have this weird stupid survival spec for soloing ZG and BC instances/heroics that I know is a bad spec. Would like to get a decent pvp spec.

Check my armory link below. My alt spec is Affliction PVP and I find I do pretty good with it.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, I'll try it out.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My meters show that I am either first or second. I usually only lose by a few. Overall damage I almost always double the next guy. This is overall damage though. On trash I just CoA and Corruption. If the other DPS hasn't killed the mobs by the time I tab+dot back, I start with UA. If they're not dead by that, I start SoC or RoF. I know RoF isn't the best, but I notice I pull aggro when I use SoC.
    On bosses I'm at about 1k DPS. Overall 850-950-ish. If there's a Ret Pally that blows things up immediately, it is, of course, lower.
    900 DPS is fine for early Northrend instances. What the hell were you being criticized about?

forty on