As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Musicians Thread!!

Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
In the interest of giving us musicians a place to showcase the stuff we do and the things we play to each other without having to annoy everyone who doesn't care, the musician's thread has been remade!

So what do you do? What do you play? Who do you play with?

I do all kinds of stuff. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 like this:
4723_95232186681_15220996681_2382950_1559256_n.jpg

and I play it with these guys:

Fused - Beggars of Pain

Which is fronted by a Chilean songwriter/guitar wizard named Xavier.

You can find more stuff to listen to on myspace.com/f_u_s_e_d or on Grooveshark, like this http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Children+of+Disarray/2Iv1Ao

That's just the rock and roll stuff. I also do lots of Electronic music you can listen to at http://www.myspace.com/AaronCamaro

Also, an album I released back in 2006 with my old electronic band is for sale on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F0V4ZW/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1271695944&sr=8-1

That's pretty much it. So follow my lead, pimp your shit and talk about instruments and shows and players you try to emulate and why and everything else.

Captain Cthulhu on

• FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My friend and I are really into blues stuff and we jam from time to time. It's pretty much I come up with a riff and then I press record on my iphone and he makes up lyrics and we improvise it.

So, nothing we make has a complex structure or anything, but I think it's kinda neat to record a song as we create it. Of course there are mistakes, but I'm sure you guys can overlook that, right? Right?

This is one of the latest things we recorded:

NOTE: NSFW Lyric-wise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vf6KtOjocI

and this was the second time we played this song, a lot of it was improvised too:

NOTE: NSFW Lyric-wise, maybe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafjUH9jcEc

That second one was recorded on my macbook, so the quality is a little eh and you can hear the macbook's fans.

Fuzz on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cap, that song is excellent.

Meissnerd on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cap I didn't know you joined a Heavy Metal band that owns dude.

Sars_Boy on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    xavier's accent is so adorable

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I sing in operas. Sometimes I am dressed like this (OPERATIC COSTUME PHOTODUMP)
    n856605544_5754948_7877.jpgIMG_0243.jpg7234_260158760544_856605544_8541043.jpg25429_374051668964_599898964_362076.jpg24343_395948239848_577669848_411150.jpgn856605544_1128566_7468.jpgn560125569_2951854_4805-1.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0165.jpg

Sometimes I just do concerts and am not in costume at all. Fuck that. You can see me singing at various places around San Diego, and sometimes on the East Coast. I'm heading back out there soon for some auditions and unprotected sex with a bunch of guys. That is what you do when you sing opera. Other guys.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fiz, I like your opera costumes a lot

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should. I wish I had pictures of my costumes from some of my earlier shows, but any time a person pulls out a camera I have a habit of running out of the room like they are about to steal my soul.

Here's a great shot from Nabucco, which is definitely the most complicated thing I have ever done. We had 6 costume changes that had to happen within the space of two minutes each time, so the second we were off stage people were ripping off their clothes and making a mad dash to their next spot. Weird

21532_340625619601_107886154601_478.jpg

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Red ZoneRed Zone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    143 by Bobby Brackins featuring Ray J

This is the greatest song out right now.

Red Zone on
    1vqtC.jpg
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lol @ xavier complaining about seattle's music scene

try utah

Homeless on
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Cap, that song is excellent.

Thanks bro!
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Cap I didn't know you joined a Heavy Metal band that owns dude.

Yeah I joined up with them a couple weeks ago and it's just started to be official. Their stuff is pretty technical, but very accessible, which I like a lot and makes it a lot of fun to play. Plus, the harder the tune, the more inclined I am to practice and learn it, so I've been learning the set list pretty fast. Right now we're working out a drummer situation and hopefully we'll be playing around town come July.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I sing! My band put together an album at the start of the year:
    containment-failure-350px.png
    http://album.kurodust.net

Now I am looking for a band to join in Vancouver, I'm going to go jam with a guy on Wednesday who is doing some sort of indie rock thing and I'm taking singing lessons again to try to improve my voice and make sure I'm actually confident enough in it to get up on stage when the opportunity arises.

I'm not really into the music scene much though and I'm terrible at making friends so I'm basically going to be relying on Craigslist to find people to play with.

Ten on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fiz those pictures are so neat! I love them

hey cap is there a fused album or some such I could purchase digitally? I like what I hear so far so I'd like to have some tracks on my ipod

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Wimble wrote: »
    fiz those pictures are so neat! I love them

hey cap is there a fused album or some such I could purchase digitally? I like what I hear so far so I'd like to have some tracks on my ipod

Hey, yeah you can get the digital or hard copy version of the latest album on CD Baby http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/FUSED3

Captain Cthulhu on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Love that song in the OP, Cap'n!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    that song is really good. You're going to be like steve harris only 9 feet tall.

Homeless on
    edited April 2010
    yeah, fused is extremely listenable and this xavier dude is crazy talented, it sounds like

I can't wait till you guys start playing shows

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited April 2010
    Woo!! maybe we can play whatever pre-pax show happens this year.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited April 2010
    play shows in all ages venues

until next year

Sars_Boy on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    alright I bought it woo

now to get to know cap better so I can be all yeah listen to this cool huh yeah I know a guy in the band yup *shit-eating grin*

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Wimble wrote: »
    alright I bought it woo

now to get to know cap better so I can be all yeah listen to this cool huh yeah I know a guy in the band yup *shit-eating grin*

Wooo! I'll tell Xavier that one of my internet bros bought one when I see him later today.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Woo!! maybe we can play whatever pre-pax show happens this year.

I got one minute into that song and I'm all, "Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah... gotta play with these dudes".

Then I see your post and I'm all, "Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaah! That would rule too!".

I've been bugging Andrew about getting this shit booked way in advance. Send me whatever contact info you have as far as booking so I can send it along.

EDIT: Rad ass breakdown, you could rule that bass line and make it sooooooooooo juicy.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still have roughly four cases of CD's left from my band's print run

Everyone's getting Upperhand "coasters" for Christmas this year

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited April 2010
    Totes, bro. Let's play some together shows for sure. We're going to be hitting it hard as soon as we're ready, so let me know if you guys have any open spots in any upcoming stuff.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    I still have roughly four cases of CD's left from my band's print run

Everyone's getting Upperhand "coasters" for Christmas this year

You can give me one for my birthday come June.
    Totes, bro. Let's play some together shows for sure. We're going to be hitting it hard as soon as we're ready, so let me know if you guys have any open spots in any upcoming stuff.

We've already contacted The Comet, waiting to hear back about the pre-PAX thing.

Our new-ish guitar player is already writing some awesome new shit with us and pushing pretty hard for us to all improve. I'm starting to get some chops, finally...

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited April 2010
    Cap, Fused sounds pretty damn good but that name needs an umlaut

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I wasn't big on the name when I first joined up but I think the music stands on its own pretty well so whatevs. Plus, I found out he got the name idea from a Tony Iommi side project or something.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited April 2010
    The music totally stands on it's own. This is fun as hell. :^

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited April 2010
    What the hell are you up to these days, Luke? Are you playing with anybody or anything?

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited April 2010
    Not at the moment. Trying to transition back into writing, which I pretty much put entirely on the back burner while I was working on the band.

Who knows, though... a couple of my old bandmates are already collaborating again, I might join up with them on occasion.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited April 2010
    the more i have been getting into metal the more i have been inspired to actually sit down and learn a damn instrument

im not sure where to go from there though

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010
    the more i have been getting into metal the more i have been inspired to actually sit down and learn a damn instrument

im not sure where to go from there though

Drums.

Always in demand, but expensive.

Tonkka on
    edited April 2010
    I could see you being a pretty awesome drummer sars boy

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited April 2010
    drums would be pretty hard to pull off in a college dorm

and on a college budget :(

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010
    you could start with a cajón

also I bet there's a drumset somewhere in seattle u's music department that you could practice on

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited April 2010
    that's probably true!

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010
    drums would be pretty hard to pull off in a college dorm

and on a college budget :(

Luckily, there's American Musical Supply and also Roland V Drums. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ROL-HD1-LIST

$260 a month might make you have to eat a few extra packs of ramen for those three months, but man it would be worth it if you were serious about learning. Plus electronic drums are great because you can drop a couple bucks on a little mixer and then just pump your favorite jams right into your headphones along with the drums and play along, learning the drums, all while your neighbors are none-the-wiser. Plus those drums there will sound great and they're ultra compact, barely taking up any more room than a Rock Band drumset.

edit: actually with that particular set, there's no mixer required, you can just plug an mp3 player or whatever directly into it!

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited April 2010
    yeah my friend back in atlanta has an electronic drum set that's pretty slick

my only fear about learning drums is that i've always felt not coordinated enough to pull it off.

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010

my only fear about learning drums is that i've always felt not coordinated enough to pull it off.

You need coordination for any instrument.

It's all about practice.

Tonkka on
    edited April 2010

No one ever is at first unless their parents started them on a kit when they were like 4. It takes practice for sure, but it's learnable. A good way to get the basics is, no shit, to play more rock band drums, for real. Just learning to get all of your limbs to do separate things is the hardest part anyway.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited April 2010
    yeah that's kind of what put me off drumming actually.

i was switched from rock band drums to bass when me and my friends played rock band because i couldnt keep up on expert

it was so traumatizing ;_____;

Sars_Boy on