As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone 2010: This is going to change everything. Again.

ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
lE1wx.png

iPhone 4 was announced on June 7, 2010. Launching in six countries in June, another 12 in July, and 88 by September, Apple purports that it represents "the largest leap since the original iPhone"

Features:
  • longer battery life
  • flexible, strong glass front and back
  • custom steel band that acts as an antenna
  • screen with 4x the pixel density
  • unified inboxes, multitasking, folders
  • iBooks, synced with your iPad if you have one
  • gyroscope added for six axis motion sensing
  • 720p HD video recording with $4.99 iMovie editing app to edit on the go
  • 5mp camera with LED flash. Flash stays on for video recording
  • front facing camera and wifi-only video chat called FaceTime
500x_comp1.jpg

The new iPhone was lost in a bar in Redwood City and was turned over to Gizmodo. While Apple killed it remotely, Giz ripped it apart and photographed it from every angle.

If it's real then this is big. The last time a leak even remotely like this happened at Apple Steve pulled every ATI card from their line-up and went Nvidia only. If it isn't a plant then someone is in a world of hurt right now.

I don't imagine Gizmodo is coming out of this unscathed. This could be viewed as stolen property. Will Apple sue? What's going to happen next?

And when the hell can I get one?

142.jpg
Threepio on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't want to sound vehemently anti-Apple or anything like that, and I appreciate that the iPhone is "srs business", but I can't help but think that what everyone is expecting is a little bit on the side overreacting.

Still, I'm definitely not informed on the subject. Maybe having someone in Gizmodo wake up with a horse head under his sheets is a proportional response. Personally, I think this was just some semi-clever ruse on Apple's part to advertise the coming product.

Also, if it is the next iPhone, I like the new direction they're going. Never liked the curved surfaces (that's just me) on the edges.

Synthesis on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm fairly convinced that this is probably a deliberate leak, whether to steal thunder from HTC Desire etc, or just to focus test the new design. If it was genuine I'm sure Apple's lawyers would have already had a field day.

On the subject of the phone itself. I'm pretty disappointed, and I've been holding out for the new iPhone for awhile. The screen not being significantly bigger is probably my main issue with it, especially if they're going for a higher res. I was also kinda expecting them to put a decent camera lens on it too, but that's more a bit dream option.

Rook on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does the Desire have any sort of buzz outside of the geek community?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Does the Desire have any sort of buzz outside of the geek community?

I don't know about the Desire, but this did happen to "leak" on the same day Verizon officially announced the Droid Incredible. As Verizon's Droid push has been one of the largest campaigns targeting the iPhone crowd as of late, it's not entirely inconceivable that the two are related. Unlikely, yes, but not impossible.

rndmhero on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Meh. The 3GS is getting all of OS 4.0, I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade at this point. I bet next year's revision will be nice.

Edit: Oops, this is basically a double post from the other thread that I forgot I posted in earlier.

Fats on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Meh. The 3GS is getting all of OS 4.0, I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade at this point. I bet next year's revision will be nice.

Edit: Oops, this is basically a double post from the other thread that I forgot I posted in earlier.

This is exactly where I'm at on this phone. I have never wanted to videochat on it, I don't do much gaming on it, and I haven't had a space issue (though when I start redoing all my mp3s in 320 VBR that might change).

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Fats wrote: »

It's getting all of the announced features from the OS 4.0 developer preview

anything unannounced at this point isn't guaranteed to be in the 3GS, and obviously anything using new hardware won't be supported

Monoxide on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Apple's a big fan of focus-grouping through the media with "leaks." They'll often test things like price points in the media before a release. I wouldn't put it past them for this to be a plant. Seems a little far-fetched that someone just happened to lose their 4G iPhone in a bar--Apple doesn't seem like the sort of company that lets employees wander around with pre-release prototypes.

My 3G has a big crack in the back and I'm eligible for an update, so I hope these suckers are affordable (comparatively, of course).

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Apple doesn't seem like the sort of company that lets employees wander around with pre-release prototypes.
    Except we know that certain people have access to pre-release phones up to months in advance, and that people do go to bars/restaurants even if they are on NDAs. Also, it's not like it was just sitting there looking like a new phone; the thing came with a camouflage kit to make it look like a 3Gs.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    If it's higher rez, I have a hard time believing that nobody noticed the dude's phone looking way nicer than a normal iPhone.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dan Lyons over at Newsweek wrote up a quick tick-tock (such as it is) of how things went down: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/techtonicshifts/archive/2010/04/19/is-this-really-the-next-apple-iphone.aspx

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like I'll be selling my 3GS in June.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited April 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    It's getting all of the announced features from the OS 4.0 developer preview

anything unannounced at this point isn't guaranteed to be in the 3GS, and obviously anything using new hardware won't be supported

I should rephrase; the 4.0 features I care about are coming to the 3GS.

Fats on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Er, you don't know if you care about the iPhone 4G's features if they haven't been announced yet.

I am, however, doubtful that it'll be worth spending the extra money to upgrade from a 3GS. Cheaper to just wait for the 2011 model.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Er, you don't know if you care about the iPhone 4G's features if they haven't been announced yet.

Sure I do. The only thing I really wanted was the ability to stream music from a third party in the background, and I'm getting that. The rest is gravy, which is always neat, but nothing I need.

Fats on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So the last time someone lost a fucking iPhone prototype the committed suicide?

What the fuck?

And whats with the fucking Illuminapple "big scary secret" shit going on with all these bloggers? It's a company that rehashes old technology into new devices, makes it "shiney" and then sells it at 10x the original value. What's so big and scary? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy Apple products, I have several in my library of tech, but hot damn, it's a leaked phone. OMG WUT LOL!

That little rant aside, I am not impressed. 4.0 might be awesome, and they will phase out the 3GS soon, but I don't see dumping more cash on another iphone (I have 2 and an iPad) when all it adds is better battery and a camera on the front.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited April 2010
    That little rant aside, I am not impressed. 4.0 might be awesome, and they will phase out the 3GS soon, but I don't see dumping more cash on another iphone (I have 2 and an iPad) when all it adds is better battery and a camera on the front.

I think this is kind of where I'm at. I know the announcement of anything Apple does is like the second coming for techno-geeks, but nothing I've seen about this phone looks that groundbreaking. I'm not a huge Apple person, so perhaps I'm just missing something here. Is there anything particularly exciting about this other than the whole "it's the new iPhone" buzz that would be generated regardless of the featureset?

rndmhero on
    edited April 2010
    So the last time someone lost a fucking iPhone prototype the committed suicide?

What the fuck?

And whats with the fucking Illuminapple "big scary secret" shit going on with all these bloggers? It's a company that rehashes old technology into new devices, makes it "shiney" and then sells it at 10x the original value. What's so big and scary? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy Apple products, I have several in my library of tech, but hot damn, it's a leaked phone. OMG WUT LOL!

The references to the dangers of leaking an Apple product surround stories of security at Chinese manufacturer Foxconn, and Apple has claimed they're trying to make sure fox conn security tones it down a little after gaining media attention

Also the last guy to lose an iPhone prototype killed himself, but he was a worker at foxconn and likely did so because he couldn't cope with the impending loss of his job, not because he was afraid Apple would break his legs.

Still, stories like the above combined with being one of the most secretive tech companies in the world breeds the stupid jokes comparing Jobs to Tony Soprano that you're seeing around the web today.

Monoxide on
    edited April 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Also the last guy to lose an iPhone prototype killed himself, but he was a worker at foxconn and likely did so because he couldn't cope with the impending loss of his job, not because he was afraid Apple would break his legs.

Well, no, he was probably afraid of Foxconn. Rightfully so, if any of those reports were accurate.

Fats on
    edited April 2010
    Luckily for the guy who lost the prototype this time, he won't be tortured by security guys, he'll just have shitty articles written about him by Gizmodo.

Fats on
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd bet people lose prototypes like this all the time, except that in this instance the wrong person picked it up.

I don't think Apple has anything to gain at this point by suing Gizmodo or pressing charges, they just won't send them anymore invites or exclusives.

November Fifth on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hoping this thing comes out in the next few months.

I'm just outa my 3G contract.

noobert on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »

I think this is kind of where I'm at. I know the announcement of anything Apple does is like the second coming for techno-geeks, but nothing I've seen about this phone looks that groundbreaking. I'm not a huge Apple person, so perhaps I'm just missing something here. Is there anything particularly exciting about this other than the whole "it's the new iPhone" buzz that would be generated regardless of the featureset?

possibly insane resolution (960x640), front facing camera for video chat, rear camera with flash (olol) and improved optics, and whatever else they can't tell from their teardown.

They need to post DETAILED pics of the circuitry for the iFixit guys so we can see how much ram, faster processor, etc.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited April 2010
    I'll be quite surprised if it gets a RAM bump when the iPad didn't.

Fats on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Has anyone considered it could just be a pre-first gen kept around for novelty?

ALSO: I am seriously skeptical of a new screen resolution.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »

possibly insane resolution (960x640), front facing camera for video chat, rear camera with flash (olol) and improved optics, and whatever else they can't tell from their teardown.

They need to post DETAILED pics of the circuitry for the iFixit guys so we can see how much ram, faster processor, etc.

The only thing on that list that doesn't exist in other phones is the resolution, and the next bump up is hardly what I'd call "insane." So in other words... it's the new iPhone :?

rndmhero on
    edited April 2010
    960x640 on a screen that size is pretty retarded.

I'm not sure people have considered how ridiculously tiny that is.

The PPI on the iPhone is already higher than a desktop screen. 960x640 would DOUBLE it.

Jasconius on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    noobert wrote: »
    Hoping this thing comes out in the next few months.

I'm just outa my 3G contract.

Late June in the US (like the previous phones). No idea for AU, though.

a5ehren on
  • NovaRevNovaRev Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    960x640 on a screen that size is pretty retarded.

I'm not sure people have considered how ridiculously tiny that is.

The PPI on the iPhone is already higher than a desktop screen. 960x640 would DOUBLE it.

480x320 is starting to look really outdated compared to newer hardware, especially Android phones. The Droid, Nexus One, HTC Incredible, EVO 4G, etc. all have screens that are 800x480 or better. I think they need to stick a higher resolution screen in there to keep up with the competition.

NovaRev on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the higher resolution has been pretty much expected since the last batch of rumored specs came out.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2010
    At some point as a user interface designer you are not getting ANYTHING out of more resolution inside of an identical physical area.

It just forces you to make the same graphics larger in raw pixels so that they don't end up being 2 millimeters wide on the actual target device.

There is certainly room for expansion on resolution, but doubling would be absurd and add more fragmentation to the iPhone development cycle which just got a huge mortar shell shot through it with the iPad and "Universal" binaries.

Keep in mind that at least in the case of Nexus One, the advertised resolution is a little bogus thanks to their screen tech.

Jasconius on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd guess it's similar in res as all the other screens. It's probably just what LCD manufacturers are making now.

It definitely doesn't look like an Apple device though. Looks more like an HP device or ASUS.

What res is the iPad running? Is it possible they got the iPad screen res (or a multiple of it) so developers can just make apps for the iPad screen and then it would scale easily for the iPhone so they don't need to make two versions?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't the iPad already essentially double iPhone apps that it runs now? Seems like an iPhone with double resolution would be able to do that with iPhone apps made for the 3GS and eariler.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2010
    The iPad is 1024x768

It's not the same and no, it doesn't even work that way. The iPad and iPod/Phone use totally different interface files and, in certain facets of the API, are distinguished from one another explicitly.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Doesn't the iPad already essentially double iPhone apps that it runs now? Seems like an iPhone with double resolution would be able to do that with iPhone apps made for the 3GS and eariler.

It doubles them. But it also doubles them in physical viewing area.

I... I don't know how to better explain this.

Look at your iPhone, and now imagine that something on the screen is literally 50% smaller than what it is now.

That's what it will be like, less the developers make a whole new graphics set to support the new resolution.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

It doubles them. But it also doubles them in physical viewing area.

I... I don't know how to better explain this.

Look at your iPhone, and now imagine that something on the screen is literally 50% smaller than what it is now.

That's what it will be like, less the developers make a whole new graphics set to support the new resolution.

Why would it be 50% smaller if the new iPhone doubled it the same way the iPad does now? It would the exact same size - each original pixel would be a block of 4 pixels.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2010

That sounds pretty rad to me. I am a fan of high density screens in general, though.

Fats on
    edited April 2010
    Because the iPad is on a massive screen the size of a book and the iPod is still what.... 2x4 inches?

Have you actually seen what the iPad does when you go to 2x mode?

It's mapping 480x320 to 960x640... but across 8 or so inches.

With the new iPhone resolution you'd be mapping twice as many pixels to a space that is half the size.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2010
    Because the iPad is on a massive screen the size of a book and the iPod is still what.... 2x4 inches?

Have you actually seen what the iPad does when you go to 2x mode?

It's mapping 480x320 to 960x640... but across 8 or so inches.

With the new iPhone resolution you'd be mapping twice as many pixels to a space that is half the size.
    what?

the UI elements would be the exact same size on the screen (in physical measurements) on the 4g as they were on the original iPhone if you doubled the resolution of the screen and then doubled the pixels of a 480x320 app in 2x mode

Monoxide on
    edited April 2010
    Go change your desktop resolution from 1600x1050 to 800x525

then tell me if everything is the same size

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.