As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E PbP] The Gladiators TA - uri, vinciri, verberari, ferroque necari

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well then, yes, yes it does. I forgot about that weakness of zombies.

Erevan!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • fogrobfogrob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seeing the undead slowly rise from the earth, Everan sees an opportunity and moves closer to them.
    Everan moves to H10. That entire top right corner is going to get pretty toasty next turn...You guys might want to stay clear of me.

fogrob on
    My PA 40k League list can be found here.
    edited April 2010
    Map:
    GladiatorArenaTA5.jpg

Initiative Order:
    Canderus
    Odunn
    Rubjo
    Undead
    Dakketh
    Everan

Stats:
    Ereven - HP 21/21 - AC 15 - F 10 - R 15 - W 13
    Canderus - HP 33/33 - AC 15 - F 16 - R 12 - W 11
    Odunn - HP 22/22 - AC 14 - F 11 - R 14 - W 17
    Dakketh - HP 23/25 - AC 16 - F 13 - R 15 - W 15
    Rubjo - HP 25/25 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 14 - W 14
    DS2 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS3 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    Skeleton1 - HP 45/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    S2 - HP 45/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    Zombie Rotter1 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR2 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR3 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR4 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Zombie1 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z2 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z3 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Canderus!
    Standard round now. Zombies are considered standing and no longer grant CA to melee and ranged no longer takes a -2 to attack. And critical hits destroy zombies immediately. I had forgotten about that.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    With a snort and a scowl, Canderus steps out onto the rocky terrain next to a nearby zombie and swings away.
    Move to I4.
    Howling Strike on Z3.
    23 vs AC hits for 12 damage.

Next up: Odunn!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Realizing that the skeletons are probably not the best target for his bolts, Odunn reloads his bow and fires a bolt with the sizzling energy of a lightning elemental at the minotaur's target, hoping their combined attacks will be enough to take it down.
    Minor: Reload

Elemental Spirits vs AC on Z3:
    1d20+8 23 Hit!
    1d10+5 12 lightning damage

Until the end of my next turn, any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the target takes damage of the chosen type equal to your Dexterity modifier. I believe this means ZR2 will take 2 lightning damage and die at the beginning of its turn. Unfortunately, I think this means Canderus will likely also take 2 damage, but a big bad minotaur can surely take that!

Edit: Unless Z3 dies first. Man, this power is fricking confusingly hard to use.

(PS, does anybody in the group have resistances?)

Z3 is now bloodied, at 16/40 hp.

Odunn quickly loads another bolt and wheels around to find another target....

Rubjo!

hippofant on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When the skeleton stands up and looks at Rubjo, the goblin starts shaking in his boots. The realization finally hit him that he had never had to fight an undead before. The skeletons creeped him out. He started to cower behind his shield, but then realized that one of his 'allies' was close by. He edged closer to the archer guy, who didn't seem flustered at all in the presence of the undead abominations.

Still realizing that he needed to carry his weight, he managed to deal with his fear and swung wildly at the skeleton. This time the skeleton did not drop. Rubjo started to panic.

Aaah! It won't die!
    Move: Shift to J7

Standard: Melee Basic Attack against S2
    22 vs AC: HITS
    10 Damage to S2

Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+5 22 1d8+3 10

If Rubjo is attacked and missed, will use Goblin Tactics to shift to K7

S2 now has 35/45 HP

Undead!

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited April 2010
    The undead begin to move towards you, threatening to remove you from the realm of the living. One skeleton grabs a bow from the ground and send an arrow flying across the arena, though you're unsure who he was trying to aim at.

Dakketh finds himself facing two skeletons, dodging the sword of one, but not quite avoiding the other. The small gash in his arm drips little blood.

Rubjo, however, is not so lucky and finds the point of a rusty sword embedded in his shoulder. The skeleton's fleshless teeth still seem to smile, without any lips to prove one way or the other.

A zombie shambles up to Odunn, swinging its arm at him and catching him in the chest. Odunn feels a bit winded by the attack and possibly a cracked rib or two. For being undead, they seem to be quite strong.

Erevan notices that he is in a very bad position, as four zombies begin to surround him. He easily dodges the first strike, throwing the zombie off balance, but runs into the second zombie's attack, bruising his side. The third, however, is much stronger and wraps his arms around Erevan, immobilizing him.

Despite having many wounds, the zombie near Canderus seems undeterred and catches him in the side with a powerful blow. Canderus coughs up a little blood from the blow as the zombie prepares to strike again.

Undead:
    DS2 - arrow MISS
    DS3 - HITS Dakketh - 1 dmg
    S1 - MISS Dakketh
    S2 - HITS Rubjo - 8 dmg - Marked
    ZR2 - HITS Odunn - 5 dmg - Move M9
    ZR3 - critical MISS Erevan - Move H11
    ZR4 - HITS Erevan - 1 dmg - Move G10
    Z1 - Move F10
    Z2 - GRABS Erevan - Move G11
    Z3 - HITS Canderus - 10 dmg

Map:
    GladiatorArenaTA6.jpg

Initiative Order:
    Canderus
    Odunn
    Rubjo
    Undead
    Dakketh
    Everan

Stats:
    Ereven - HP 20/21 - AC 15 - F 10 - R 15 - W 13 - Immobilized (check -5 to escape)
    Canderus - HP 23/33 - AC 15 - F 16 - R 12 - W 11
    Odunn - HP 17/22 - AC 14 - F 11 - R 14 - W 17
    Dakketh - HP 22/25 - AC 16 - F 13 - R 15 - W 15
    Rubjo - HP 17/25 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 14 - W 14 - Marked
    DS2 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS3 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    Skeleton1 - HP 45/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    S2 - HP 35/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    ZR2 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR3 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR4 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Zombie1 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z2 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z3 - HP 16/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10

Erevan:
    Acrobatics or Athletics: Make an Acrobatics check vs. Reflex or an Athletics check vs. Fortitude against the creature or effect that immobilized you to try and escape the grab. This is a move action.
    Dakketh!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dakketh quickly realizes that his companions are in trouble of being swarmed. With two quick blows, he shoves the skeleton in front of him stumbling backward over rubble, while smashing the skull of the weaker one. Finding himself with some breathing room, Dakketh jumps behind the shambling horde threatening Erevan. Becoming a whirlwind of blows, Dakketh completely destroys two of the weaker zombies, while inflicting serious damage on the other two.
    Standard: Crane's Wings vs S1:
    1d20+5 20 vs Fort - hit! Damage: 1d10+4 11. S1 at 34/45. Push S1 to J13.
    Free: Centered Flurry of Blows - DS3 takes 6 damage, dies.
    Move: Jump with Crane's Wings. Athletics to jump:: 1d20+12 24 feet, or ~5 squares. Land in F12.

Action Point!
    Standard: Masterful Spiral daily! Masterful Spiral vs Z1, Z2, RZ3, RZ4:
    Z1: 1d20+5 18 vs Fort - hit!
    Z2: 1d20+7 20 vs Fort - hit!
    RZ3: 1d20+5 25 vs Fort - critical hit!
    RZ4: 1d20+5 15 vs Fort - hit!
    Damage to all: 3d8+4 15. RZ3, RZ4 die. R1, R2 at 25/40.
    Range on my melee touch attacks becomes 2 until end of encounter.

Summary:
    DS3, RZ3, RZ4 dead. S1 at 34/45, in J13. Z1, Z2 at 25/40.
    Dakketh: in F12, action point used.

OK, fair enough Orokos, you are almost forgiven.

Erevan!

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    epic, simply epic. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2010
    Seriously, I love playing a monk! They're so cinematic!

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    Had you taken the bravura challenge, you would have had a free another free attack out of that.

Also, Ive yet to use goblin tactics :(.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    Had you taken the bravura challenge, you would have had a free another free attack out of that.

Maybe Erevan will scorching burst you.

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    Had you taken the bravura challenge, you would have had another free attack out of that.

True, but at level 1 Dakketh isn't set up well for MBAs - he's only got a +3 vs AC. Not very likely to hit. Next level, I take the Melee Training: Dex feat and that'll go up to a +8 or 9 vs AC, making MBAs more feasible. Likewise, you'll get far more mileage out of Canderus' strikes for your Commander's Strike ability. Plus I checked, and my Flurry of Blows can only go off on my turn, so I don't get that extra damage if you make me attack.

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    With some tricky maneuvering, Erevan manages to escape the grasp of his undead captor. Then, in the blink of an eye, he teleports out of harms way to the other side of the room.

Acrobatics Roll
    vs Reflex: 1d20+8-5 19
    Used Fey Step as my Standard Action to move to C5.

fogrob on
    edited April 2010
    fogrob wrote: »
    With some tricky maneuvering, Erevan manages to escape the grasp of his undead captor. Then, in the blink of an eye, he teleports out of harms way to the other side of the room.

Acrobatics Roll
    vs Reflex: 1d20+8-5 19
    Used Fey Step as my Standard Action to move to C5.
    I'm pretty sure you can just Fey Step to teleport out of the grab without having to escape.

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    Canderus is up!

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    Ah, sorry, thanks tzeentch. Will get a post up shortly.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Canderus grits his teeth as the zombie tears into him, then repositions and lashes out with his axe. His axe lands a glancing blow and the zombie remains standing. Canderus gnashes his teeth in frustration and stomps the ground with one massive hoof. He is beginning to get angry.
    Shift to H3.
    Howling Strike on Z3, 18 vs AC hits for 7 damage.

Odunn!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Odunn reels from the blow of the zombie behind him, but nevertheless remains focused on his zombie target, firing another bolt from his crossbow.
    Move: Shift to L7.
    Standard: Biting Swarm vs AC on Z3: 1d20+8 16 Hit! 1d10+5 12 damage, Z3 dies!
    Minor: Reload.
    The zombie crumples under the combined assaults of Odunn and Canderus, axe and bolt driving it into the ground.

Uh, MundaneSoul, technically you should have taken 2 lightning damage from my elemental spirits for starting next to Z3. I just thought it was worth it to take out RZ1... yeah.

Rubjo!

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    Fair enough, thanks for the heads up, hippofant.

2 lightning damage to Canderus. Yeowch!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Rubjo was terrified of the skeleton that stood before him. He looked around for that big axe swinging minotaur, but he was 30 feet across the arena, dealing with some other nasty. The punch-kicky guy was doing some crazy stuff on the other side of him, but neither of them had their focus on the abomination in front of him. Rubjo felt isolated.

The intense pain from his shoulder wound reminded him that this was a unique situation for him. He is usually one of many goblins in an attack, and never had to deal with go toe to toe with anyone. Even worse than the pain he felt was the joy that the skeleton was somehow able to express.

Rubjo, wishing he had a bigger shield, cowered behind his small shield and did the best he could to not get hit again.
    TOTAL DEFENSE (+2 to all defenses)

Goblin Tactics Square: K6

Undead!

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    As my character can be a coward at times, how are we going to deal with opportunity attacks in PBB?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    As my character can be a coward at times, how are we going to deal with opportunity attacks in PBB?
    I have the thread set to e-mail me as soon as people post, and generally I can get a response in pretty quickly, so if I see that you moved provoking an OA, I'll roll up the OA and post it as soon as I can. I've done a couple in the other game already. It's helpful if you mention which (if there are multiple near you) creature gets the OA and just put it as a line in the spoiler that you use for your actions.

I'll try to get the undead turn up later tonight.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2010
    Quickly thinning in numbers, the undead begin to make desperate attacks against anyone closest to them. Their desperation shows as they have much trouble connecting their attacks. Dakketh, unfortunately, pulls the short stick and is swamped by both skeletons and the undead. Only one skeleton and one zombie manage to stab and tear at him.

Undead:
    DS2 - MISS
    S1 - Move G12 - HIT Dakketh - 6 dmg - provoke OA
    S2 - MISS - Rubjo Move K6
    ZR2 - Move M8 - MISS
    Z1 - Move E11 - MISS - provoke OA
    Z2 - HIT Dakketh - 7 dmg

Map:
    GladiatorArenaTA7.jpg

Initiative Order:
    Canderus
    Odunn
    Rubjo
    Undead
    Dakketh
    Everan

Stats:
    Ereven - HP 20/21 - AC 15 - F 10 - R 15 - W 13
    Canderus - HP 21/33 - AC 15 - F 16 - R 12 - W 11
    Odunn - HP 17/22 - AC 14 - F 11 - R 14 - W 17
    Dakketh - HP 9/25 - AC 16 - F 13 - R 15 - W 15 - Marked
    Rubjo - HP 17/25 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 14 - W 14 - Marked - +2 all def
    DS2 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    Skeleton1 - HP 34/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    S2 - HP 35/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    ZR2 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Zombie1 - HP 25/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z2 - HP 25/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Dakketh!
    Dakketh, don't forget to roll two OAs against S1 and Z1 as they moved into your 2 square range.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2010
    Seeing himself surrounded and feeling these most recent blows, Dakketh decides to try to get out while he can. A spinning kick sends one zombie away, its rusted weapon thrusting at its companion but with no effect. A quick block and blow to the skull sends the skeleton skittering backwards. Taking advantage of his unorthodox movement style, Dakketh attempts to escape, running towards the rest of his gladiator compatriots.
    OAs::
    S1: 1d20+3 15 vs AC - miss
    Z1: 1d20+3 19 vs AC - hit! 1d8 1 damage, woo.
    See, Rubjo, this is why I don't make MBAs!

Standard: Drunken Monkey vs Z2:
    1d20+5 14 vs Will - hit! Z2 takes 1d8+4 11 damage.
    I slide Z2 to F10 and he makes a melee basic attack against Z1 with a +4 bonus:
    Z2 MBA vs Z1:: 1d20+4 5. No hit unless the zombie has a +8 to hit, oh well.
    Free: CFoB, hit S1. Slide S1 to H13, S1 takes 6 damage.

Drunken Monkey move: Move speed +2, ignore terrain, +4 to defenses against OAs. Move G12-H11-G5. Take OAs from Z1, S1, with +4 to my defenses. Might kill me, but we'll see.

Z2: 14/40 HP, in F10.
    S1: 28/35, in H13.

Monster OAs, then Erevan!

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    A heal is coming down the pipe, dak.

I hope you don't go down, because then I'd have to figure out why Rubjo would bother to resurrect a total stranger. Healing you while you are standing is no problem, since he would heal whoever is helping him survive.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    Well, I'd be knocked unconscious. But you were obviously impressed by my skills, and I'm on your side against those scary undead, so having as many allies up and in front of you as possible is a good thing.

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    As Dakketh quickly moves out of the way, the zombie and skeleton make a last attack before he moves out of their range. Dakketh manages to avoid the zombie's strike, barely missing his face, but he doesn't see the longsword coming down behind him. The skeleton makes an expert strike, piercing through his back and blood to rush out onto the blade. Dakketh feels the blood loss and manages to use his momentum to carry him to the other side of the arena.
    Z1 MISS
    S1 HIT - 8 dmg

Dakketh - HP 1/25

:D Good thing you had +4 to your defenses!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2010
    Yeowch, I'll try and get over to you and pull some of the zombie aggro ASAP, Dakketh.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Well, I'd be knocked unconscious. But you were obviously impressed by my skills, and I'm on your side against those scary undead, so having as many allies up and in front of you as possible is a good thing.

That would have worked. You have to understand, most of the goblins that fell from Rubjo's raiding party were lost causes. It's a moot point now, though.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    Seeing the monk in a bit of trouble, Erevan once again calls upon his arcane fire.
    I cast Scorching Burst on F10 targeting Z1 & Z2 vs their Reflex of 9
    Scorching Burst vs Reflex: 2#1d20+5 21 12 1d6+5 7
    Not sure if it matters, but that would be FIRE damage.

fogrob on
    edited April 2010
    Canderus

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2010
    Heading out for a few hours. If MundaneSoul posts and I'm not back yet, Zombie Hero can feel free to go before me and I'll delay until after him.

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    All I was going to do on my turn is heal Dakketh and then Total Defense Again

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    Canderus scans the battlefield with narrowed eyes as the zombie before him falls, rage welling up inside of him. He watches the skeleton take a swing at the cowering goblin nearby and snorts in fury. As he moves towards it, his rage overflows and he begins to stamp furiously at the ground with his hooves. He winds up and swings his axe with the full force of his might and rage, dealing a powerful blow to the skeleton that might have done even more damage had his anger not clouded his focus.
    Move to I7.
    Thunder Hooves Rage on S2.
    Miss for 14 (half) damage.
    Rage now active until end of encounter.

Odunn!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Though the strange reptile man seemed to be in trouble, audaciously fighting hand-to-hand with zombies and skeletons, Odunn finds he has little choice but to deal with his zombie harasser, it being ever so persistent in its pursuit.
    Move: Shift to L6.
    Biting Swarm vs AC on ZR2: 1d20+8 25 Hit! 1d10+5 12

ZR2 dies, its corpse (zombie corpse?) devoured by ferociously biting insects. Back to back with the lone goblin oddly decked out in a suit of metal armor, Odunn notes in Goblin, "Not exactly your usual fare <insert some sort of goblin nickname here?>, but they fall as easily as a deer in the woods."

Rubjo!

Er, would it offend anyone if I were to inquire about some seemingly suboptimal moves? This is my first PBP so I 'm not sure if people are role-playing or if there's something about their characters I just don't get.

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    Inquire away! I'll try to explain things. I suspect Rubjo in particular is more role-playing than optimal playing. My character, I've never played a monk so I'm really just testing the limits of his abilities right now.

tzeentchling on
    edited April 2010
    Rubjo is relieved that the huge minotaur has come to his aid again. He shifts to the left and swings his sword and parries the skeleton's short sword, which give the minotaur an opening to attack the skeleton again.

Then he sees the punch kick guy bleeding out of all sorts of wounds. He knows a little bit about battle recovery, and gives him the special goblin warchant, which toughens him up a bit and closes some of his wounds.

Move: Shift to K5
    Standard: Commander's Strike. Canderus makes a MBA, and adds +2 damage. He has flanking for this attack.

I don't know how your rage works, so i'm going to let you roll the damage, Canderus.

Minor: 1/2 inspiring word.
    Inspiring Word for Dakketh: 1d6+6 8
    Dakketh spends a surge and gains 8 HP.

Goblin Tactics Square: M5

Undead!

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    Inquire away! I'll try to explain things. I suspect Rubjo in particular is more role-playing than optimal playing. My character, I've never played a monk so I'm really just testing the limits of his abilities right now.
    Hey! He said he was just going to total defense again! What a liar! :P

Why did you move after punching the undead? The only character that has AoEs really went right before you, and I imagine the undead are just going to swarm back around you in a second, and if they use prepared actions they'd still max out their flanking. Just seemed like unnecessary OAs?

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Hey! He said he was just going to total defense again! What a liar! :P

Why did you move after punching the undead? The only character that has AoEs really went right before you, and I imagine the undead are just going to swarm back around you in a second, and if they use prepared actions they'd still max out their flanking. Just seemed like unnecessary OAs?
    I figured that I needed to be farther away from the undead, and hoped that Canderus or one of the others would make a better target. I didn't think I could survive another round of getting hit like that. I also figured with the +4 to defenses, I'd probably survive the OAs. Also, the skeleton got pushed farther into terrain, so he shouldn't be able to come after me.

Edit: Canderus to roll an MBA from Rubjo's Commander's Strike, then undead

tzeentchling on