As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CPU reads 80+ degrees C...on boot?! Uh, thoughts?

DragisDragis Registered User regular
So, I've had this system for a few months, no problems:

-EVGA 017-P3-1175-AR GeForce GTX 275 1792MB 448-bit DDR3
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
-EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

-STOCK cpu heatsink/fan (Yeah, I know, bad. But:

-I am not overclocking whatsoever. )

Whilst playing Modern Warfare 2 the other night, I was getting some goofy crashes where the whole system would stop responding and just display the image where it crashed. Darnit. After doing this about every 10-15 minutes, I started checking for new drivers for my GPU (installed), and then checked my temperatures.

My CPU cores were running at about 93 degrees C, with one of them running at 99. Shitshitshit, turned it off, blew dust out, insured heatsink was on the CPU and all fans were running, left it to sit overnight.

-It's notable that the case temps were reasonable ( I forget what exactly) and my GPU was about 40-45 degrees C.

Turned it on the next morning, thinking to monitor how its heat went up, and right after sitting cold all night and booting, it was reading about 80 degrees C for my cpu cores. How in the hell is that possible after sitting in a 60 degree F room for eight hours???!!!

These readings are from Core Temp and the EVGA E-LEET tools. Is it possible the sensors are damaged? Or can anyone think of another reason I might be getting these readings??

Edit: After running for an hour, the CPU is idling at about 85 C for two cores, and 90 C for the other 2. >.<

Dragis on

• Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is the fan turning?

edit: nm, saw that you answered that.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nothing bad about stock HSFs.

Did you move the computer recently? Checked the voltages within CMOS?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Last time I moved it was about 3-4 weeks ago, and I just set my CMOS values to their defaults, since I just flashed my BIOS.

Dragis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aaaand after it being on/restarting/flashing/using the internet it's reading 99 degrees C for those two cores. I think it's time for a nap...

Dragis on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So you're positive that the heatsink is mounted securely? I've seen the stock Intel HSF detach at one corner after a few months, due to me not really understanding how the mounting pins worked. Symptoms were exactly this, though with a lot more crashing.

Fats on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The situation Fats described happened to my friend.

So, it might be worth reseating the heat sink with some fresh thermal compound.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll definitely triple check the seating of the heatsink, but is it even conceivable that without the heatsink working at all the CPU would reach 80 degrees C right after startup? Or any other reason that would happen :S

Dragis on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I hear sometimes the thermal paste can dry up.. I bet the chance of that is 1 in a million.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the heatsink isn't making proper contact, that's precisely what happens. What blows my mind is how you're not crashing immediately -- when it happened to me, I was barely able to enter the BIOS and look at the temperatures from there before it'd lock.

What program are you using to read temperatures? There's a slight chance that those readings aren't accurate.

Fats on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe the fan is not spinning fast enough? Try turning the fan up 100%

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm using Core Temp and the EVGA E-LEET tools to read temps, also BIOS. Interestingly, I think BIOS shows the temps as lower, but only by 10 C or so, so I think it's measuring the CPU instead of cores or something =/

I set the fan speed to manually be 100 percent. Doesn't help, so I think it auto set them to 100 percent.

Dragis on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is no way your heatsink is seated properly if you are getting those temps. No amount of blowing air at it will help. Take off your heatsink and re-seat it.

Shens on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll fourth or fifth that.... carefully remove the old heatsink (blowdryer) and clean it.... put on some fresh thermal compound and put it back together.

It's possible that the problem always existed but has slowly been getting worse over time with the fan's vibration.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm off to Best Buy tomorrow to grab some thermal paste and maybe a non-stock CPU cooler whether I need it or not since, well, now I feel paranoid. :?

Dragis on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, going from 25 to boiling in 1.5 seconds is a landmark feature of the i7. Nine times out of ten that's due to bad thermal paste application or you got one of those cheap fans with the push pins instead of the screws and you didn't pin it right and now it's hovering over the chip.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm surprised it'll let you go that high. I fucked up installing a heat sink once and the CPU was going "goose this" and switching off at 70 degrees.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You don't need to replace the thermal compound if you're just going to reseat the HSF. Check the push pin mechanisms at each corner and make sure the heatsink is secure. If you release all four corners and gently wiggle the heatsink you can slip it away from the processor without pulling the processor from the socket. Then just reseat it and ensure the clips are secure. When I first built my i7 it took me a couple tries to get the HSF assembly just right, so I guess it is possible that yours has some how wiggled loose.

And again, the Intel stock HSF is more than capable of handling that i7 under pretty toasty conditions. The only time you need to go to a custom cooling solution is if you plan on doing some serious OCing.

travathian on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YEah, one time I had that happen to my C2D E8400 and it got like that because one the push pins had gotten out when I nudged the heatsink messing with RAM or a GPU.

Removing then reseating did the trick.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Woah. Okay. We're good.

Tried making sure the heatsink was in right, and it may be my imagination but it seemed like it may be not as tight as possible, but even after tripple checking it was in all the way, I just went out and bought some paste. cleaned out the old stuff, put on the new stuff, and made damn certain it was seated all the way.

Now it boots at 40ish rather than 90ish. Jeebus.

Many thanks all for the suggestions!! :D I wouldn't have thought those suckers could get that hot that fast. Spooky.

Dragis on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eesh. Crazy that bad thermal paste can do that. I always assumed the stuff was pretty universally good. At least good enough not to cause 90 degree temps.

Shens on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    Eesh. Crazy that bad thermal paste can do that. I always assumed the stuff was pretty universally good. At least good enough not to cause 90 degree temps.

It wasn't the paste but that it was not seated properly anymore.

Doing it over properly was the best fix.

That said, there is a difference in paste quality but on an order of magnitude smaller than this case.

Also, yes, the "CPU" temperature reported is less jittery and reflects more of an overall thermal situation, the "core" temps are direct from such and they can spike up immediately and drop quickly as well (provided there is actual cooling taking place) and tend to read higher than the former.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah, I figured that's how core vs. overall temp was jiving. Makes sense :)

Dragis on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I'm surprised it'll let you go that high. I fucked up installing a heat sink once and the CPU was going "goose this" and switching off at 70 degrees.

Most builds of i7 can operate at 100 degrees celsius

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My i7 when the HSF wasn't completely flush would let me get to the portion of the Windows 7 install where it was checking my hardware, then it promptly shut down. No idea what temp it reached but apparently high enough for the default settings to declare it an issue and prevent damage.

travathian on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Paladin wrote: »

Just because they can doesn't mean you should let them do it.
    Better safe than sorry.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Better safe than sorry.

I don't think Paladin was saying it's okay, he was just pointing out that the internal shutdown temperature (tjunction) of the i7 chips is 100c, which means that is the temperature which Intel felt it could safely reach before shutting itself down to prevent damage.

The reason this is inconsistent with what Phoenix has experienced is that the tjunction for the Core2 series of chips was indeed 70c.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dragis wrote: »
    I'll definitely triple check the seating of the heatsink, but is it even conceivable that without the heatsink working at all the CPU would reach 80 degrees C right after startup? Or any other reason that would happen :S

without a heatsink and security mechanisms to switch it off, it would probably reach something around 400°C if it could :P
    You have the power output of a cooking plate on an area smaller than a fingernail..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the heatsink comes off, you'll want to re-apply the thermal paste no matter what. Once the bond is broken then the thermal interface will no longer work properly.

Azio on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Better safe than sorry.

My i5 sits at about 60 degrees and my GTX275 at about 70 degrees at really high load (like, playing World in Conflict in dx10 mode with a really busy fight going on). I have another fan sitting here to install, but I haven't yet. Idles at around 40 degrees though.

-Loki- on