As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A PS3 problem

FalxFalx Registered User regular
So I formatted my PS3's HDD, right. Now when I switched it back on, USB stick with the update software in hand (in the correct folders root:\PS3\UPDATE)... and it tells me it's not there.

Do I have a broken PS3? Or is there something I can do to force it to take the software?

Falx on

• Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe the USB stick is not formatted in a filesystem the PS3 recognizes, or maybe the USB stick is not compatible.

Flapke on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Try updating it the old fashion terribly slow way and you might have better luck with USB drives in general?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nope, it's FAT32 and I've tried both with my USB stick, which I'm sure works and my ipod, which I KNOW works as I've used it to copy stuff over before.

And I'm not concerned so much about the updating as I just want it work again. I formatted the HDD in the first place because I ejected a game disc while it was installing and then no game wanted to work.

Falx on
  • Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can the PS3 not also grab updates from the optical drive? Try burning a disc, maybe?

Flapke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm, you're the second person who said that... lemme try it.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No that didn't work either. It's starting to look like I need to send the damn thing in, unless someone else has an idea?

Falx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok so, possible solution, and this is odd...

My friend found a single post on some forum where a guy had the same problem as I did.

Apparently if you format the fat32 drive in an ntfs environment and then delete the partitions to restore it to a "new" state... the PS3 will still pick it up as NTFS.

Man that sucks. I hope it works.. I now have a genuine new HDD in and not one that was just taken out to be formatted.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    megarage.jpg

Falx on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    try updating via network?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Updating isn't the issue, I formatted the HDD and it won't pick up the firmware on the USB... or anything else to restore itself. I give up anyway, I'm sending it in tomorrow.

Falx on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Updating isn't the issue, I formatted the HDD and it won't pick up the firmware on the USB... or anything else to restore itself. I give up anyway, I'm sending it in tomorrow.
    If you're not trying to update what exactly are you trying to do? What do you mean by "restore itself?" I think we have a miscommunication regarding your issue.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I formatted the hard drive of my PS3 because I couldn't get any games to play and I figured that might be the issue. There is now a formatted hard drive in there, when I boot it up it asks for the update firmware on a USB stick as it has nothing on the drive.

No matter what I put in there, it doesn't detect the firmware. I know it's picking up the sticks and the cd, but it's not seeing the firmware even though it's in the correct folders and they're in FAT32 format. Putting in a brand new HDD instead of the old formatted one, doesn't help either.

Edit: Blurays could still play as well as saved media on the disk before the format, so it's not like it was totally borked.

Falx on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Something must be wrong with your PS3 then. I've put in a new drive and it just boots up normally, it shouldn't request an immediate software load. Called the Sonies yet?

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, don't remind me... It only took three email exchanges for me to realize Sony's tech support consists of a room in a basement filled with screeching baboons chained to desks. They may even have little bow-ties.

I actually told them this. Or I would have, but the email going to directly to their head-office in the UK, which I dug out of the bowels of their corporate-site no longer exists.

I'm sending it in to the local PS3 repair people... I've sent lots of stuff to them before to be fixed and the only problems I've had is accounting stuff and who owes how much money etc.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I guess your current location is not conducive to the problem, no.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Smooth LouSmooth Lou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ooh! I have a PS3 Problem too? Can I post it here?

I bought a PS3 in August (backwards compatible 60GB off of Craigslist for a steal) and shortly thereafter, I didn't have an internet connection from basically September through March 20th, when I finally got back online. In doing so, I had to update my PS3 firmware to play anything, and in doing so, the games that I owned started acting up on me. The first time I noticed anything wrong was when I downloaded the Heavy Rain demo; it kept skipping and skipping, first video then audio, to the point where it was unplayable. I decided to play some of my disc based games instead, but I've found that I can't play GTA4 because the draw distance is all of about 3 feet and so I'm often walking into blankness. A friend brought over Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2, and both of them get all crazy during any cutscene or quicktime event (and in both cases, there's a lot of those).

The games were sort of playable, to the point where I got pretty far into Uncharted 2, but now it's just ridiculous. The audio skips, not just during the cutscenes, but when I'm playing the game, it's still playing the skipping audio from the previous cutscenes!!

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I thought it could be an overheating issue, but the PS3 has plenty of open air around it and the fan boots on and off like it always has. The PS3 still streams audio from my Macbook, it still plays Netflix Watch Instantly without issue and I just played through ICO without any issue.

Thanks you guys!

-Luis

Smooth Lou on
    metroidlouit4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ...man, given that array of problems, I think you're genuinely screwed, somewhere in the blu-ray games department. Sorry. :(

Out of curiosity, have you had any BR films to play on that? DO they have a similar problem?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Smooth LouSmooth Lou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's a great question. I'll have to try one (though I don't own any!) Maybe I'll run out to Blockbuster tonight... do they still exist?

Smooth Lou on
    metroidlouit4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes they do.

I actually own more BR films than I own PS3 games (I have 6 BR films). And Blockbusters definitely still exist.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey, I'm worried. My PS3 has done this twice now. I turn it on, start up PlayTV and start watching some TV, and it reboots itself and the red light keeps blinking. I press it and it boots back up. Go back to PlayTV and it's all fine. I read that this can be a power issue, so I made sure the power cord was securely plugged in and swapped around the plugs on the power board, but this is worrying.

-Loki- on