As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animated gif shenanigans

NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me.

I found an animated gif online. I want to be able to obtain a specific frame of the gif to use as a separate image. I have both Photoshop and Illustrator CS4. Is it possible for me to do what I want, since I didn't create the animated gif and don't have any of the source images?

Nightslyr on

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can try using Jasc Animation Studio, it has a 30 day trial and I really like the interface.

For Adobe products, I think you need a specific one, both you listed can't open all images in a gif file iirc.

*Jasc Animation shop.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Use the "Print Screen" button and time it really nicely.

Darlan on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Imageready can do this, so recent versions of photoshop should too (since imageready is no more.) Open the gif in photoshop and then hunt for the animation pane.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should be able to do this in photoshop: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSC79F5E60-3E9B-44e3-8DDF-0FF1144F5711a.html

I might give this a shot later to see how well it works in practice.

0blique on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    download irfanview (tiny download), open the gif with it, click options, click extract all frames, done.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GIMP can definitely do it. What it does is it separates each of the frames into layers (newer frames over older frames). I presume Photoshop has a similar set-up.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seconding Gimp. Just open the file like any other.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png