As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BIGMAN CLUB

Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Social Entropy++
Heads Up
If you're wondering if I'm willing to shut down every fitness thread on the forums and ban them from taking place in the future just because a gaggle of retards kept fucking the thread up, you should go and ask about that in one of the anime threads.

Oh wait.

So no dumbass aggressive 'advice' or bickering. There is no one way to fitness, so it's generally safer to assume you know jack shit.

Offer your advice, but don't cut down other people or their goals. And if your going to say something as though it's fact, you'd better provide a shit load of evidence to go along with it

Need a lifting buddy? Let's see if anybody's nearby
Captain Cthulhu - Seattle
Joe Chemo - Seattle (Greenlake area)
Publius Aelius Hadrianus - Seattle (Udub IMA)
culdrasbit*h - NW Philly
Dachshund - Monterey bay (Portland, ME until 4/9)
Hamurabi - Miami
Brucelee41042 - Northern Kentucky
King Nada - Portland, OR
Beef Avenger - Squamish, BC
big l - Bellevue
psyck0 - Victoria
Kakodaimonos - Chicago (northwest burbs)
TheRealBadger - New Zealand

SOCK SHOTS!
TheRealBadger
jszip4.jpg

celandine
2uopeg3.jpg

hectorse
IMGP36462%2B.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

For some real useful links and info check out psyck0's old OP

Hey so how about that syndalis, that dude's a badass

Steam ID
PSN: Robo_Wizard1
Beef Avenger on

• celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Syndalis is a badass. That is an amazing transformation.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nekkid torso was a great end to the thread

TheRealBadger on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope someday I can pull that off

(probably not)

Ledneh on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BIG MAN BIG MAN

eatin' cottage cheese afore bed

Dsmart on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the support guys!

The next step is to turn the slenderer-but-kind-of-undefined torso into a firmer, sexier thing. Still pale and hairy, but you can't have everything ;-).

I plan to ramp up my protein intake in the coming weeks, and crunch/squat/lift my way to a firmer me.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First day of sheiko was a cakewalk. The bench presses were light as shit, squats weren't much better on the "this should be hard" scale. But overall a good workout.

We shall see where this takes me.

PS- Syndalis wins the game

Brucelee41042 on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really awesome job, Syndalis.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    still impressed

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    seriously, im really impressed with syndallis. my gut is my worst enemy.

Meissnerd on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys were right, dips are a rad chest exercise. My wrist was finally up to it and I was able to bang out 3x5 with just my fat ass. I'm pretty sure my gym has a belt too when I eventually need to weight them.

Peen on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How did you do it, syndalis? That's a great transformation for that time frame.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow Syndalis, that's pretty dam nice. Do you mind me asking the weight difference?

And now for a few nubby questions:

1) I can squat to parallel with 80kg (about 175lb), but I can do ass-to-grass with lower weight. Should I take the weight down and only do ATG squats, or do max weight parallel with warm-up+cooldown sets going ATG?

2) How far do you stand from the bench for Split-squats? Is there some key feeling for the distance, like a slight stretch in the quad or something?

3) How far down should you go for cable pulldowns? I go to about my collarbone right now, should I go lower?

4) About what weight should I be using chalk while deadlifting? I'm at 115kg (about 250lb) and still going barehand; should I start using chalk/wraps?

tehmarken on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »

pretty much

i look at my gut and my tits and say "if only"

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    1) that's really a matter of opinion. Ass-to-grass is great, but if your goal is simply to lift as much weight as possible, I'd stop at parallel. I do A2G for my warm-up sets (which get within 10% of my work weight, so fairly heavy) and then parallel for my work sets. Also, if you go too deep, your lower back may round. Don't go that far. It depends on your proportions AFAIK

3) that sounds good. Why are you doing them? Are you also doing pull-ups?

4) when you need it, not before. When you can't hold the bar anymore. I'm not sure if it's better to double overhand + chalk or mixed grip w/o chalk, though.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »

pretty much

i look at my gut and my tits and say "if only i was man enough to do something about it, kinda like syndalis. sigh."

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    1) that's really a matter of opinion. Ass-to-grass is great, but if your goal is simply to lift as much weight as possible, I'd stop at parallel. I do A2G for my warm-up sets (which get within 10% of my work weight, so fairly heavy) and then parallel for my work sets. Also, if you go too deep, your lower back may round. Don't go that far. It depends on your proportions AFAIK

3) that sounds good. Why are you doing them? Are you also doing pull-ups?

4) when you need it, not before. When you can't hold the bar anymore. I'm not sure if it's better to double overhand + chalk or mixed grip w/o chalk, though.

1) The ultimate goal is for increasing my jump power, but I have poor flexibilty (that's slowly increasing), so rounding is valid concern for me.

3) I can only do 2-3 pull-ups from a static hang, so the cable pulldown is an accessory towards that.

4) Been using mixed grip w/o chalk, so I guess I'll just keep going for now.

tehmarken on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd recommend chalk as soon as possible

i hate sweaty palms while lifting. Even if i'm not doing anything too grip intensive i'll still chalk em up to keep them dry

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    And now for a few nubby questions

I've got a few nubby answers.

2. I stand far enough that when I go down the leg on the bench moves freely down and almost touches the floor; I'm trying to replicate the amount below parallel that I'd do in an actual squat and don't want my off leg impeding that.

4. You'll know when you need it. If your hands start to get sweaty your grip will get worse and your callouses will start to pull off and you'll know, it's time.

Peen on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I'm about to bust a Syndalis and make it a dead set goal to lose a lot of this extra poundage, and this time I'm not going to get 'close enough' and stop.

Currently I've change my diet to 40% protein/ 40% fats/ and 20% carbs, and I'm making sure I'm eating as enough protein for my lean body mass. But, holy damn, how came it's so hard to keep my carbs level down? It's like, as soon as I ingest any sort of vegetable, that carbs percentage shoots up 10%. This is worrisome, cause like, how am I suppose to get vitamins in me?

Casually Hardcore on
    edited April 2010
    Leafy green veggies don't count as carbs. Broccoli, spinach, lettuce, green onions, that kind of stuff. Asparagus. I eat lots of broccoli.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    second volume day on texas method was easy and empowering

I would use chalk ASAP!

It's a great neutralizer and it helps with calluses

hectorse on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Based on what big l was suggesting last thread... I'm at about 220 lbs. @ 6'3" right now. Would it be best to continue with a GOMAD? I have noticed the extra flab around my mid-section (though it isn't enough to show through a tucked-in shirt or anything, whoo) and just chalked it up a necessary sacrifice. I've also noticed my weight gain has slowed down or stopped altogether at 220, even with fairly strict adherence to GOMAD (sometimes it's just not practical to finish off an entire gallon on the days I have work).

Am I just staying on this bandwagon until my linear gains are over with? What's the long-term game plan here?

Hamurabi on
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HOLY SHIT SYNDALIS

Ham, the long term plan is to keep putting pounds on the bar. SQUAT HEAVY LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

When you are done with linear would be a great time to lose that loose fat.

That's what I would do, in fact what I did.

Others might have other equally valid ideas

hectorse on
    edited April 2010
    Well, I'm about to bust a Syndalis and make it a dead set goal to lose a lot of this extra poundage, and this time I'm not going to get 'close enough' and stop.

Currently I've change my diet to 40% protein/ 40% fats/ and 20% carbs, and I'm making sure I'm eating as enough protein for my lean body mass. But, holy damn, how came it's so hard to keep my carbs level down? It's like, as soon as I ingest any sort of vegetable, that carbs percentage shoots up 10%. This is worrisome, cause like, how am I suppose to get vitamins in me?

There are some fruits and veggies that have low carb impact. Mostly the hard and tough veggies, like lettuce, asparagus, broccoli. I like cumquats as a fruit, since you get quite a bit of fiber from eating the peel. Peppers are another of my favorite sources, they've got a lot of vitamins without much sugar.

And by fats, you mean things like nuts, fresh meat, and fish yeah?

And if you're really worried about vitamins vs carbs, you could always just get a bottle of Centrum.

tehmarken on
    edited April 2010
    Centrum + Omega-3 erryday son.

Hamurabi on
    edited April 2010
    And I forgot my number one favorite health food: Sardines. Awesome amounts of omegas, lean protein, vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorous (delicious soft spines), and miniscule toxins because of being low on the food chain (mercury and such).

Edit: Delicious Data: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4114/2

tehmarken on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so I guess those cupcakes really worked out for syndalis

brb, gotta go to the store

Sunday_Assassin on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sardines are quite awesome. However, the ones that are ridiculously cheap here are packed in horrible low-quality soya bean oil.
    The ones that are packed in nicer oil (read: not soaked in trans fats) are quite expensive weight-for-weight.

Managed to rock out dips this morning, three sets of ten followed by a set of eight. My bodyweight-stuff endurance is getting better (chins, dips, etc.). I need this for when I start big Jim's 5/3/1 I'm going to take his advice for assistance work and try to do stuff like 5x10 chins, 5x10 dips and whatever. Gonna be hard.

Also, I'm trying to imagine 280lb powerlifter dudes doing sets of ten chinups. Gotta say, it's hard. I mean, I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen any of them.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, how about a 250 lber?

Matt Kroczaleski 30 rep pullups

Kakodaimonos on
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I see your Matt Kroc and raise you a Konstantinov

268 BW. 55 pullups. He kips himself up on them though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLl8rGhJvE

Brucelee41042 on
    edited April 2010
    This new Bigman thread reminds me that I haven't partaken in any camwhoring yet. I should remedy that. :)
    bigman1.jpg

bigman2.jpg

Hamurabi on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    so I guess those cupcakes really worked out for syndalis

brb, gotta go to the store

I continued that delivery diet until November, then switched off and started doing my own thing to great success.

I still am 100% behind that weird assed diet though; it laid a hell of a foundation for me to get up and running on my own... and that along with much of the advice YOU gave (while chiding my "cupcake") gave me the guidance I needed to see it through to where I am now.

Currently eating some Tuna, almonds, walnuts and green onions w/ a little oil, and plan on some lifting of heavy things today.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Solvent wrote: »
    Sardines are quite awesome. However, the ones that are ridiculously cheap here are packed in horrible low-quality soya bean oil.
    The ones that are packed in nicer oil (read: not soaked in trans fats) are quite expensive weight-for-weight.

Managed to rock out dips this morning, three sets of ten followed by a set of eight. My bodyweight-stuff endurance is getting better (chins, dips, etc.). I need this for when I start big Jim's 5/3/1 I'm going to take his advice for assistance work and try to do stuff like 5x10 chins, 5x10 dips and whatever. Gonna be hard.

Also, I'm trying to imagine 280lb powerlifter dudes doing sets of ten chinups. Gotta say, it's hard. I mean, I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen any of them.

Can you get into a commercesary? They have sardines in olive oil for like 75 cents a can.

Casually Hardcore on
  • WafflesauceWafflesauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Always good to see others doing well to keep us motivated. I started at 212 and am down to 180 in about 6 months. My goal was around 175 slowly working off that bottom bit of stomach fat.

Wafflesauce on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy fuck, I rocked myself with deadlifts last night. The good news is my form is improving.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Jeff210Jeff210 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Took a few weeks off of squating because I was preparing for the CN tower climb. Done that now and was back in the gym yesterday doing front squats. Can we talk about how awesome front squats are. I feel much more comfortable going really really deep with heavy weight with the bar up front than I do in high or low bar squats.

Jeff210 on
  • King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Always good to see others doing well to keep us motivated. I started at 212 and am down to 180 in about 6 months. My goal was around 175 slowly working off that bottom bit of stomach fat.

Nice. I'm in the same boat. started at ~ 205. Working towards 175 - 180. I've put on a bit of muscle but have dropped weight overall. At ~ 190 now.

King Nada on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ham with cam, nice stuff.

I'm way more sore than I'm used to these days -- doing lots of exercises for one body part, I guess. I assume it's a good thing.

I like chinups as sort of a gauge that I'm gaining "good" weight. As a lady that tends to freak me out -- OMG attack of the big-butt -- but if I can do twice as many chinups after gaining ten pounds I must have done it right.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited April 2010
    King Nada wrote: »

Nice. I'm in the same boat. started at ~ 205. Working towards 175 - 180. I've put on a bit of muscle but have dropped weight overall. At ~ 190 now.

How tall are you? I was at about 185 for the better part of a year, and at 6'3", that meant I was rail-thin. I guess it'd be better if you got down to that weight while gaining muscle mass, though.

Hamurabi on
This discussion has been closed.