As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicitations for July 2010

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Graphic Violence
July solicits are out: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25851

Holy christ are there a lot of good looking books out in July. They weren't kidding when they said they'd let different corners of the Marvel Universe do their own thing.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couple of Things:
    Electric Ant lost an issue, from 5 to 4. Kind of a bummer, because only one issue is out, and it was fantastic.

Thor: Wtf? What happened to Fraction? I like Kieron Gillen, but I really get bugged by last-minute writer shuffles, which have been a lot more prominent with DC recently.

HadjiQuest on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Only 6 Deadpool books?

Algertman on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Deadpool love continues, but what the hell did Land trace to get two basketballs under that shirt?
    60_LADY_DEADPOOL_1.jpg

Also, this is the crap that pisses me off:

Issue #638 48 PGS./Issue #639 40 PGS./Rated A …$3.99 (each)
    Amazing Spider-Man #638 - 28 Pages of New Story.

cardboard delusions on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Unless I decide to get both Realm of Kings and the Marvels Project in hardcover format I don't think I'm getting anything in July.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know but one tit is bigger than the other

Algertman on
    edited April 2010
    The fact that the Maestro is in the main Avengers book makes it a must read for me. I loved Future Imperfect.

wirehead26 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some good looking stuff that month, not least what look like a great Moon Knight book and continuing Avengers fun.

Solar on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So.
    YOUNG ALLIES #2
    Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
    Penciled by DAVID BALDEON
    Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE
    Still reeling from the events of last issue, the Young Allies are desperate to hunt down the Bastards of Evil by any means necessary--even if it means taking on their parents!--while the Bastards are up for a little hunting trip of their own...

plus the cover
    148_YOUNG_ALLIES_2.jpg

equals 616 version of Aftershock?

Furu on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Couple of Things:
    Electric Ant lost an issue, from 5 to 4. Kind of a bummer, because only one issue is out, and it was fantastic.

Thor: Wtf? What happened to Fraction? I like Kieron Gillen, but I really get bugged by last-minute writer shuffles, which have been a lot more prominent with DC recently.

I didn't think Fraction was taking over until later in the summer.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Unless I decide to get both Realm of Kings and the Marvels Project in hardcover format I don't think I'm getting anything in July.

Get the Marvels Project. It's a fantastic book that nobody is reading.

Hensler on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Frank vs Daken sounds good.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Couple of Things:

Nah, June's issue is Fraction.

Another interesting thing: No solicits for Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Ultimate Comics Spider-Man?

HadjiQuest on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Another interesting thing: No solicits for Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy
    They're on hiatus (that is, they're being cancelled for poor sales and if they come back it will be with new #1s next year) until the Thanos Imperative is completed in the fall.

Anyway, my thoughts.
    NEW AVENGERS #2

This is a story that wlll completely reinvent the rules of magic in the Marvel Universe and have long- lasting effects on a handful of your favorite Marvel characters

I love this description. "Everything changes! For a couple of characters you couldn't care less about."
    CAPTAIN AMERICA #608

And neither Bucky Barnes, or the readers will believe Zemo's last page revelation!
    Dad's alive. Shock of shocks. Internet cracks. Etc. Etc.
    DAREDEVIL #508

Matt Murdock has long played judge and jury to criminals as Daredevil, but has he now become executioner as well?
    I find it impossible to believe that Matt hasn't read St. Thomas Aquinas' writings on just war. But he'll never kill Bullseye because he's Matt effing Murdock and his religion can only be used one-dimensionally to define him.

I like Mattina's Moon Knight cover featuring the Secret Avengers.
    WORLD WAR HULKS: SPIDER-MAN VS. THOR #1 & 2 (of 2)
    What the Hell? The whole Hulk franchise is insane.
    SUPER HEROES #4

Kraven is hunting what might possibly be the world's Most Dangerous Prey, and what is certainly the most annoying... a certain Merc with a Mouth.
    Oh, come on!
    THOR THE MIGHTY AVENGER #1 & #2

Pencils & Cover by CHRIS SAMNEE
    Art. Love it.

Oh, and here's that awesome Djurdjevic poster from the June solicits.
    AVENGERS HEROIC AGE BY MARKO DJURDJEVIC POSTER
    $34.99
    Final Order Cutoff 5/6, On-Sale 6/9/2010
    IMAGE TO BE SHOWN AT A LATER DATE!

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2010
    Couple of Things:

Another interesting thing: No solicits for Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Ultimate Comics Spider-Man?

Nova and GotG are on hiatus during Thanos Imperative, UCS-M is on hiatus during Ultimate Comics Mystery

Furu on
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Couple of Things:

Nova and GotG are on hiatus during Thanos Imperative, UCS-M is on hiatus during Ultimate Comics Mystery

These are things that save me money.

I approve.

Maybe I'll read the Thanos book, and then go in on the new Nova and GotG.

HadjiQuest on
    edited April 2010
    Why the fuck is that X-men: Dark Phoenix Saga HC priced at $74.99 for only 352 pages?

wirehead26 on
    edited April 2010
    The prices on Marvel's hardcovers, particularly for their omnibus and older series releases, are getting pretty out of control, and they're waiting longer to put the bigger stories into trades as well.

HadjiQuest on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alright, thats it, I'm officially dropping all DP books except for regular old DP. Fucking christ they are going overboard.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited April 2010
    I already read the regular DP book in trade format and I'll probably read DP: Merc with a mouth when it's collected but I'm not bothering with DP Corps or DP Team-up. Might get DP: Wade Wilson's War if I hear good things.

wirehead26 on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine is bi-monthly, that's not really how you create reader friendly accessible books (because it's only accessible half the year hurp de durpie durp)

I'm so cranky about Brubaker's Zemo story it just seems to sound worse the more pieces on info trickle out (basically what Crimsondude wrote)

I do love this GnR homage though:

30_DEADPOOL_CORPS_4.jpg

And Clay Mann is back on Legacy, good choice. And could it be, could it be, Land is finally off Uncanny with Portacio taking his place?

TexiKen on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Alright, thats it, I'm officially dropping all DP books except for regular old DP. Fucking christ they are going overboard.

DP MWAM ends at 13, might as well finish up.

cardboard delusions on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zemo is even back to his lame old villain duds?

you're better than this, Bru : (

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Couple of Things:

Furu why are you such a big liar

UCSM is still shipping in July, they just made a mistake. Bendis tweeted that it's being fixed now

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2010
    Oh okay! I just assumed.

Also I can't wait until this Zemo story is over so people can stop bitching about it.

And the Nomad backup will still be going? I thought that was ending when Young Allies starts

Furu on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I already read the regular DP book in trade format and I'll probably read DP: Merc with a mouth when it's collected but I'm not bothering with DP Corps or DP Team-up. Might get DP: Wade Wilson's War if I hear good things.
    Team-Up's a book I buy depending entirely on who's writing and guesting that issue. Mr. X + Frank Tieri?

Thank you, no.

I'm not bothering with DP Corps because honestly, Liefeld's art just doesn't do it for me. But Swierczynski's mini looks fun, and he wrote a great Deadpool in the pages of Cable.

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    Ways to get me to buy a comic: Put Molly on the cover

Furu on
    edited April 2010
    I hope in the coming year Ed Brubaker ruins Molly in some how, some way for you, Furu.

Then you will understand the pain of Zemo.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Furu just because we haven't read the story yet doesn't mean we're not allowed to be upset with a writer throwing away years of character development just to suit his own ends

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2010
    I know, and I would be pissed too if I had any attachment to the character, but from my standpoint the amount of good Brubaker has done is not immediately washed away because he wanted to make a Captain America villain a Captain America villain again.

Furu on
    edited April 2010
    Wolverine was originally a Hulk villain, should he leave the X-Men to become a Hulk villain just because that's what he was originally?

Or Hawkeye originally being an Iron Man villain, should he return to being a villain just to beat up Iron Man with simple arrows even though Tony has really good armor?

We have to be strong enough to ask questions, Furu.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Well I can't argue when someone quotes Mini Marvels

Furu on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Furu just because we haven't read the story yet doesn't mean we're not allowed to be upset with a writer throwing away years of character development just to suit his own ends

That's EXACTLY what it means, because you have no idea what the circumstances of the story are, or how well justified it is within the book. At this point it just looks like you're whining becuase something won't sink up with how YOU think a character should act.

MastaP on
    edited April 2010
    Am I the only one excited by 616 Aftershock?

Anyone?

Beuller?

Furu on
    edited April 2010
    But Mix Masta, who is more in the wrong?

The writer who is reverting a character back to his original path from years ago, and not the point where he was left by the previous writer?

Or the fan who doesn't want the character to go back to start, who would rather they stay on their existing path in character development?

It's not how we think a character should act, it's how he was acting last we saw him.

TexiKen on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but some people think you should wait until you've read it before you complain about it. Or at least wait until someone else has read it, posted a few scans and informed you of just how outraged you should be.

And Furu, who is Aftershock and why should I care?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Aftershock is Electro's daughter in the MC2 universe, first appearing in a McKeever written issue of Spider-Girl

The implication of the Young Allies fighting Electro is that a 616 version of Aftershock is on the Bastards of Evil

Furu on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    9 times out of 10, though, the premature reaction proves to have been justified. Comic readers are terrible reactionaries, but comic book writers are also rarely full of surprises.

Also, if Brubaker had something interesting in store for Zemo, I'm sure he would have at least hinted at it. Instead, he's mostly just referred to the relationship between the original Zemo and Bucky along with his assumption that that would extend to the modern Zemo as well.

In regards to the solits, I wonder what PAD has in store for that issue of X-Factor.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    MastaP wrote: »

That's EXACTLY what it means, because you have no idea what the circumstances of the story are, or how well justified it is within the book. At this point it just looks like you're whining becuase something won't sink up with how YOU think a character should act.

i think the character should act a certain way because the last time we saw him, that's how he was acting

now while it's true that his reverting back could be covered in the story, that doesn't mean i'm not allowed to be skeptical, especially when Bru's interviews on the subject aren't inspiring much confidence

Zemo is a character i care about, and seeing what seem to be years of slowly built character development just pushed to the wayside because Bru needed a credible villain makes me sad

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2010
    Yes but this isn't just some random hack, it's Ed Brubaker, a guy who has done nothing but put out quality comics for years

Furu on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    But Mix Masta, who is more in the wrong?

The writer who is reverting a character back to his original path from years ago, and not the point where he was left by the previous writer?

Or the fan who doesn't want the character to go back to start, who would rather they stay on their existing path in character development?

It's not how we think a character should act, it's how he was acting last we saw him.

The fan who makes these judgments based on hearsay, loose evidence, and a few quotes from an email interview, without even reading the story. That's the point I'm making.

MastaP on