As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple To Developers: Fuck You

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    E-Readers are, at least in my mind, a different product, and thus, come with different expectations.

exactly

Evander on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But which company offers top-end proprietary navigation hardware, top-rated customer service and warranties, and the native ability to run both OSX and Windows? Yes, Apple.

So very wrong. I used to do warranty work on both Dells and Apples at my old college job and if a metal powerbook case was dinged at all apple would call it "user abuse". They would not cover it even if say there was a tiny ding on the top of the laptop but the logic board (which is on the bottom) went bad. Also Apple to my knowledge still doesn't offer something similar to dell's "Complete Care" which covers even accidental damage to your laptop/computer. We had a customer bring in a dell that had accidentally fallen out of an 8 story window* in a backpack. Dell completely covered the replacement. Apple would never do that.

If you have to do out of warranty replacement of things apple has gotten a lot better but they still are much harder to work on than dells. For example I could take apart and put back together just about any dell laptop at the time and replace the motherboard in roughly 30 minutes. It would take 1.5-2 hours to do that on a plastic macbook. Same thing with the desktops. You want to replace the hard drive in your imac with a web cam? You have to remove the goddamn motherboard and speakers to get to the hard drive. Best designed systems....ever. *rolls eyes* Moral of the story is to get the longest warranty possible so you don't ever have to pay for the extra repair time associated with apples.

*The guy always set his backpack up on his desk next to his window but on this fine day his roommate had removed the screen to the window which was open because it was summer time.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But which company offers top-end proprietary navigation hardware, top-rated customer service and warranties, and the native ability to run both OSX and Windows? Yes, Apple.

So very wrong. I used to do warranty work on both Dells and Apples at my old college job and if a metal powerbook case was dinged at all apple would call it "user abuse". They would not cover it even if say there was a tiny ding on the top of the laptop but the logic board (which is on the bottom) went bad. Also Apple to my knowledge still doesn't offer something similar to dell's "Complete Care" which covers even accidental damage to your laptop/computer. We had a customer bring in a dell that had accidentally fallen out of an 8 story window* in a backpack. Dell completely covered the replacement. Apple would never do that.

If you have to do out of warranty replacement of things apple has gotten a lot better but they still are much harder to work on than dells. For example I could take apart and put back together just about any dell laptop at the time and replace the motherboard in roughly 30 minutes. It would take 1.5-2 hours to do that on a plastic macbook. Same thing with the desktops. You want to replace the hard drive in your imac with a web cam? You have to remove the goddamn motherboard and speakers to get to the hard drive. Best designed systems....ever. *rolls eyes* Moral of the story is to get the longest warranty possible so you don't ever have to pay for the extra repair time associated with apples.

*The guy always set his backpack up on his desk next to his window but on this fine day his roommate had removed the screen to the window which was open because it was summer time.

I can't really make an accurate statement about Apple's warranty system--besides anecdotal hearsay about how awesome it is and how much it sucks, sometimes from the same people--but the "all-in-one" design of iMacs becomes a practical liability in this area. I remember sitting in a journalism room with around 16 iMacs (relatively new ones, no older than 2005), and maybe three of them didn't have very, very noticeable screen problems. Several of them literally had half the screen darkened or flickering. Some had line green lines crossing the screen horizontally. Some had both.

Those things ware still there, two years later. Shipping the whole computer back to Apple would cripple the classes who had to use that room. By contrast, the Windows machines in the Student Learning Center and library? Much, much better monitor quality overall. Even for clearly older LCD monitors. Why? Because replacing a monitor is a simple, easy affair. Hell, I've seen setups relying on 10-year-old CRTs for a few weeks until a new LCD can be put in its place.

Note, this isn't about the quality of iMac displays or their warranty system's capabilities. Its just that "all-in-one" does come with potential liabilities.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There is a reason I am opposed to forced convergence, and non modular devices.

Evander on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »
    The price to cost ratio on apple products is generally a lot larger than on other goods, even other consumer entertainment electronics goods.

When you buy a non-commodity product or service, you aren't only paying for the materials that were used to build it or provide it. You are also paying for the experience.

Why do people go to the movie theater when they can rent the same movie for a lot less? Simple: for the experience of watching the movie in a theater. Now, the movie ticket will probably be too expensive for some people. That's fine. Yet do those people say "god damn movie theater being elitist by charging so much"? Does anyone argue that movie theaters "push the market in a consumer negative direction"? No, because that would be fucking silly.

The reasoning when it comes to Apple products is not exactly the same, but it's very similar. You aren't only paying for a touch-screen device that can browse the internet and read books and listen to music. You are paying for the experience of owning an iPad.

Bull. Shit.

The same device made by any other company would offer the same experience at a lower cost.

Or it wouldn't now, because Apple has already set a certain price for the market, THAT particular fact being the sole issue that I have with Apple, that their actions poison the rest of the market, turning ALL pricing consumer negative in certain areas.

Let's drop the iPad, though, since no one was talking about it anyway, and get back to MP3 players.

What is the "experience" of an ipod that you do not get with other comperable (and cheaper) devices? That has yet to be explained to me.

Go read Stephen Fry talking about Apple products and then come back.

It's pretty obvious from the way you've talked about gadgets before that you have absolutely no appreciation for design, though, so it feels like something of a lost cause telling you.

A little bit of design is worth hundreds of dollars? Really?

I'm not talking ergonomics here, I'm talking aesthetic. Not to mention that aesthetics are rather subjective.

You want to talk about poor design; without purchasing some kind of peripheral, the only way to type on an iPad is hunt and peck with one finger, while holding it with the other hand.

You mean like every other tablet?

Besides, drawing a wedge between design and ergonomics is ludicrous. Ergonomics is a factor of design.

And on top of that you failed to address the UI design that makes Apple products so damn fantastic.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Unless, of course, you don't like the UI of that specific product. Which is just as valid an opinion as liking it. There's no hard-and-fast way to use a computer, after all, and given how many adjustments you can make to operating systems just within themselves (before getting to any of the crazy homebrew stuff)....

Synthesis on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    I guess you could hypothetically not like the way screens on iPhone OS bounce as you scroll up or down or transition graphics or the operation of the on-screen keyboard or all of the pretty advanced stuff going on in the background.

I guess you could say that WinMob 6.5 is 'just as good' because 'like it's all just your opinion, man', and when you compare them on paper, WinMob 6.5 ticks all the same boxes.

In the same way that I suppose you could imagine Harry Potter to be as great a work of literature as War and Peace, or The Matrix to be as philosophically profound as the Critique of Pure Reason.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    bongi, it is okay for some things to be subjective.

I MUCH prefer a UI that allows me access to things, rather than locking them down in the name of simplicity

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Actually, I was thinking of OSX on desktop computers. I don't own, or regularly use, an iPhone or a smart phone in general. I do, however, regularly use Apple computers.

Good thing I didn't claim that I could give a completely objective, entirely accurate evaluation of the worth of all of Apple's GUI everywhere. Whew.

Coincidentally, I've never read Harry Potter.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Supposedly it's a lot easier to run OSX86 these days, though I haven't done it myself since it was... decidedly not easy... so I can't really recommend it.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have ZERO idea how to do anything on OSX

and I've used it quite a bit. The computer in the boot at my radio station is a Mac. My mother, my brother, and my ex-girlfriend all have Mac laptops.

The idea that the OSX UI is somehow superintutive is insane. I don't think it is BAD, but I also don't think it takes any less training than any other UI.

Evander on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In the same way that I suppose you could imagine Harry Potter to be as great a work of literature as War and Peace, or The Matrix to be as philosophically profound as the Critique of Pure Reason.

Hyperbolic fanboyism here at its finest, gentlemen. Windows Mobile is the Harry Potter to iPhoneOS's War and Peace.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Natheo wrote: »

Hyperbolic fanboyism here at its finest, gentlemen. Windows Mobile is the Harry Potter to iPhoneOS's War and Peace.

The absurd part is that Harry Potter is far more popular than war and peace is, whereas there is NO QUESTION that more people preffer iPhoneOS over WinMo anything.

But never let ration stand in the way of good hyperbole, I say.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And furthermore, up until 4.0, I didn't think iPhoneOS had anything going on in the background.

bazinga

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And I'd like to think that Steve Jobs knows better than to start a land war with Russia.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Natheo wrote: »

The absurd part is that Harry Potter is far more popular than war and peace is, whereas there is NO QUESTION that more people preffer iPhoneOS over WinMo anything.

But never let ration stand in the way of good hyperbole, I say.

No one should say that popularity of use is a total standard of quality either--either for the iPhone, or for desktop operating systems. Otherwise we could look at the proportion of Apple operating systems in the worldwide market, versus the current market share held by Windows operating systems (the newest, and smallest by far, Windows 7, has twice the share of all versions of OSX which has been around for years and years longer it would seem).
    And I'd like to think that Steve Jobs knows better than to start a land war with Russia.

Google, on the other hand....

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was gonna say something like that. Along the lines of, "Well, maybe they don't."

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

The best part is that the quote is actually "never get involved in a land war in Asia".

(At least, in the movie.)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010

I MUCH prefer a UI that allows me access to things, rather than locking them down in the name of simplicity

I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about the overall interface design; the way menus are designed, the way everything is engineered to 'feel' right.

I mean how they spend considerable time thinking about the exact angles that mouse-movements ought to open nested menus and the times that tooltips should take to appear.

Also Natheo; yes, WinMob might as well be Harry Potter to iPhone OS's War and Peace. Why is that such an awful thing to say? It's not like I'm suggesting that iPhone OS is as important a cultural artefact as War and Peace; I'm saying that iPhone OS is the best in its field and WinMob is a turd.

Wait sorry, no, 'it's like, all opinion, man'.

bongi on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »

The best part is that the quote is actually "never get involved in a land war in Asia".

(At least, in the movie.)

Unless you're a Khan.

Chaka Khan would have totally won Afghanistan by now. And monopolized the digital audio, smartphone, and search engine markets.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about the overall interface design; the way menus are designed, the way everything is engineered to 'feel' right.

I mean how they spend considerable time thinking about the exact angles that mouse-movements ought to open nested menus and the times that tooltips should take to appear.

Also Natheo; yes, WinMob might as well be Harry Potter to iPhone OS's War and Peace. Why is that such an awful thing to say? It's not like I'm suggesting that iPhone OS is as important a cultural artefact as War and Peace; I'm saying that iPhone OS is the best in its field and WinMob is a turd.

Wait, so you honestly think that there is a objectively correct way to design menus?
    Because yeah. Subjective.

EDIT: Except this menu. This menu is objectively good:
    52391326.jpg

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Except that, you know, it IS opinion.

Like I've said, I've use OSX quite a bit, and I can't stand it. That's not fanboyism (were I a fan boy, I'd be refusing to use it, no?) it is just personal prefference.

Hell, if you want to apply some metrics to it, then if it is SO far superior, why is it such a small piece fo the marketshare?

Evander on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You want to talk about poor design; without purchasing some kind of peripheral, the only way to type on an iPad is hunt and peck with one finger, while holding it with the other hand.

How does that differ from any tablet PC?

A little bit of design is worth hundreds of dollars? Really?

I'm not talking ergonomics here, I'm talking aesthetic. Not to mention that aesthetics are rather subjective.

You mean like every other tablet?

Besides, drawing a wedge between design and ergonomics is ludicrous. Ergonomics is a factor of design.

And on top of that you failed to address the UI design that makes Apple products so damn fantastic.

Deja Vu. We just spent an entire page on this.

Also, I remember someone trying to explain it in one of the threads in the tech forum, but why is having the menu bar all the way at the top left hand corner of the 20+ inch screen soooo much better than having it at the top of the window?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Also, I remember someone trying to explain it in one of the threads in the tech forum, but why is having the menu bar all the way at the top left hand corner of the 20+ inch screen soooo much better than having it at the top of the window?

Because it's easier to hit a target in the corner of a screen or on a screen edge then it is to hit one in random space.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's pretty much it yeah, the easiest places to hit quickly are the 4 corners, its why windows' start button is always anchored in a corner too. Of course, keyboard shortcuts still beat the mouse for speed in any case

Phyphor on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    That's pretty much it yeah, the easiest places to hit quickly are the 4 corners, its why windows' start button is always anchored in a corner too. Of course, keyboard shortcuts still beat the mouse for speed in any case

Only if your hand is already on the keyboard. (Note, I'm a vim fanatic.)

The rule isn't that the corner specifically is the easiest place to hit. It is that larger targets are easier to hit. Since the mouse stops at corners, it is effectively an infinite target. I do feel this gets too damned much publicity. There are other cues which are more effective than "corner of screen." Especially on modern interfaces.

taeric on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, I'm pretty sure that having some kind of Stylus input, be it wacom or the more crappy resistive solutions, is a part of the Tablet PC spec

Now this I will heartily chide Apple about. The iPad seems for all intents a machine built insistently for stylus-based drawing and painting applications, yet it dodges any allusion to that fact at all times. Despite, even, the fact that several companies make very affordable styli that work to that purpose.

Turns out, you can actually draw well on an iPad with just your finger

Just ask Japanese artist and character designer Yoshitoshi ABe

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well usually you already have a hand on the keyboard and a lot of shortcuts can be done with one hand, which would already by on/near the KB anyway.

And yes, that's why the corners are easier to hit. It's also easier to hit something closeer to the cursor than farther away for a finite target. The single easiest place to hit of course is under your cursor. It's also why pie menus are awesome and I'm sad they're almost never seen outside games.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok, that is just stupid. You also don't need a brush to paint on canvas. Turns out, a lot of people like using them. Same for pencil/pen on paper. You could just use finger paints or charcoals.

taeric on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, nothing "feels right" on my mac. It is so frustrating.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys are missing the point.

If I want to type on a tablet, natively, how can I accomplish that task in any way other than the way I would do on an iPad, i.e. holding it with one hand and typing with the other?

The USB thing is a red herring. If you really want USB you can buy a camera connector for 29 bucks. Before you yell "THAT'S TOO EXPENSIVE" it also comes with an SD card reader which makes it a very good bargain in my opinion.

Could the iPad come with USB? No, because it is too thin for that.

Despite Evander's protestations, you can just lay it flat on the ground. I've tried touch-typing on it, and while it's not ideal with the lack of physical feedback from keys, their auto correction software if robust enough that most people shouldn't have any problems.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    Also, I'm pretty sure that having some kind of Stylus input, be it wacom or the more crappy resistive solutions, is a part of the Tablet PC spec

Now this I will heartily chide Apple about. The iPad seems for all intents a machine built insistently for stylus-based drawing and painting applications, yet it dodges any allusion to that fact at all times. Despite, even, the fact that several companies make very affordable styli that work to that purpose.

Turns out, you can actually draw well on an iPad with just your finger
    obama-etch-a-sketch.jpg

nope, still not a good tool.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aioua wrote: »

Wait, so you honestly think that there is a objectively correct way to design menus?
    Because yeah. Subjective.

EDIT: Except this menu. This menu is objectively good:
    52391326.jpg

Add "Pancakes......$Free", and you've got it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys are missing the point.

If I want to type on a tablet, natively, how can I accomplish that task in any way other than the way I would do on an iPad, i.e. holding it with one hand and typing with the other?

The USB thing is a red herring. If you really want USB you can buy a camera connector for 29 bucks. Before you yell "THAT'S TOO EXPENSIVE" it also comes with an SD card reader which makes it a very good bargain in my opinion.

Could the iPad come with USB? No, because it is too thin for that.

Despite Evander's protestations, you can just lay it flat on the ground. I've tried touch-typing on it, and while it's not ideal with the lack of physical feedback from keys, their auto correction software if robust enough that most people shouldn't have any problems.

And I have tried it as well, and find that it rocks around.

I guess we are at an anecdotal stand-still

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well usually you already have a hand on the keyboard and a lot of shortcuts can be done with one hand, which would already by on/near the KB anyway.

And yes, that's why the corners are easier to hit. It's also easier to hit something closeer to the cursor than farther away for a finite target. The single easiest place to hit of course is under your cursor. It's also why pie menus are awesome and I'm sad they're almost never seen outside games.

I think you are underestimating the number of people that take their hands off the keyboard. :)

I'm not a fan of pie menus, necessarily. I also hate mouse gestures, as they feel too gimicky. What I do like, is choice. Just because someone else wants to have those things on their computer, doesn't mean I should have to. Or that they can't, because I don't want them.

Which is what the stylus comes down to. Can you get by without it. Yeah, most definitely. Would it have been a nice feature for those that do want it? I think so. Just the fact that the stylus can tell when you are using a different side is enough to make me love my wacom.

Apple, on the other hand, is not about choice. As we have seen repeatedly.

taeric on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never understood mouse gestures. To me they basically seem like an opportunity for my normal mouse inputs to, under specific circumstances, do something I did not intend.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only times I've used gestures is in games like Black & White and Arx Fatalis.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never understood mouse gestures. To me they basically seem like an opportunity for my normal mouse inputs to, under specific circumstances, do something I did not intend.

I have to say, the magic mouse for all its revolutionary technology is kind of a problem looking for a solution. Yes, it's lighter and smoother than using a standard 2-button+wheel mouse, but they could have left it at that and we'd all be happy.

The gestures for the MacBook trackpad are infinitely more necessary. Zooming, tilting, right-clicking without an extra button or key, moving windows and tabs around . . . . pretty neat and useful.

Atomika on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How do they work for the trackpad? The only thing I can imagine there is some kind of multi-touch technology letting you do those things.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How do they work for the trackpad? The only thing I can imagine there is some kind of multi-touch technology letting you do those things.

Yep.

It lets you use up to four fingers.

Normally that kind of action will run you at least $250/hr.

Atomika on