As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2... Leaps into Action?

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
So, it appears that Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 is a reality. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLg1AI4OOM

And there's really nothing else as of this posting. But that's probably enough for now.

Wow. Jumping? I guess I can live with it, so long as it doesn't get in the way of the swinging.

Can't quite tell which version of Rad that is, Rearmed or next-gen, to have an idea of where this is placed. The hair looks like Rearmed (I think), so that might be a plus.

If it helps, the guys who made this are apparently the ones developing it, rather than the new studio of the developers who made the first Rearmed.

Update: Press release:
Release Date: Q1 2011
Genre: Platforming
Platform: PSN, XBLA
Rating: Pending
Developer: Fat Shark
Publisher: Capcom
Price: TBD

Capcom unveils the next evolution in 3D side-scrolling action with Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. Nathan Spencer returns as the daring elite soldier equipped with special bionic abilities. Spencer will have to face his greatest challenge yet as General Sabio, a new technologically sophisticated foe, is on the brink of launching a deadly missile attack.

Nathan Spencer will make use of his trademark tool – his bionic grappling hook – to grab, swing and leap through series of lush new environments. He’ll be met by plenty of gun-toting soldiers and mechanized threats ready to give him a hostile greeting. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 improves upon the visual achievements of its predecessor with the addition of more detailed character models, textures, and vibrant colors. New player mechanics will add another strategic layer of platforming to the overall experience and the famous bionic arm will be getting a major makeover delivering a more dynamic bionic experience to the player.

Key features:
Sequel to the popular downloadable title on PSN and Xbox LIVE, Bionic Commando Rearmed

New Weapons, attacks and enhancements for the the all-purpose Bionic Arm

New platforming mechanics provides more freedom and challenges. Now the impossible is within your “leap!”

New physics-based puzzles will take the platforming experience to another level

2-player co-op is back and better than ever.

Enhanced graphics and better camera functionality.

All new musical score inspired by NES-era sound effects, produced by the same creative mind behind the original Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack

Cut-scene art designed by cutting-edge art studio Massive Black, whose previously worked on Infamous, Bioshock 2 and,God of War III

Screenshots!
vlc_2010-04-05_17-14-01-56.jpg

vlc_2010-04-05_17-14-17-97.jpg

vlc_2010-04-05_17-14-52-53.jpg

vlc_2010-04-05_17-14-57-52.jpg

vlc_2010-04-05_17-27-08-47.jpg

Update 2: From Capcom's Christian Svensson:
The Rearmed 2 team has several original members from the Grin team and is running on the same engine/made with the same tools.

Update E3: According to the newest trailer, it looks like they're including the sniper option from Elite Forces, the Game Boy Color title. Keep an eye out at 1:14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Kmn0qPjSk

New weapons, new Bionic Arm abilities, and some other neat fun stuff, too.

But there is one new addition that is more unsettling than any other...
c96f166bf9f0c5f4f78b34f0fb399a2c.jpg

That's right... Nathan "Rad" Spencer is now equipped with a bionic mustache*!!!

*Note: Mustache may not actually be bionic.

No new information on the press release front, it's pretty much the same thing they showed a couple of months ago. However, if you want new screenshots, look no further.

Finally, GameTrailers has some new videos, including a "tech interview:"

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-bionic-commando/700770

Kind of disappointed that Ben Judd is apparently not in charge of this one, or at least he doesn't seem to be. The first Rearmed was just so good...

As for story, at least here they confirmed that this is set a few years after Rearmed, but before last year's retail sequel.

More vids:

Hulk Papa Boss Gameplay

Urban Gameplay

Snow Boss Gameplay

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Leaps into action"? Really? Really?

I saw the trailer just a moment ago, I liked what I saw.

Henroid on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm. The first one was fantastically awesome, but it doesn't look like GRIN is working on it (or that other start that the old Rearmed team just formed a few days ago), so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So far so good. I've got no problems with jumping. The first rearmed was a blast. Is this not being made by the same people?

NeuralFizz on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dunno. I mean, it's just such a radical change.

This jumping thing.

We might have to boycott this sort of nonsense.

But not really. HELL YES BCR2!

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forgot to add developer details at the start, but I've added it to the OP. But simply put: nope.
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm open to other suggestions for a title, it was just the best I could come up with at this late hour that said "Bionic Commando Rearmed 2" and "WTF, jumping?"

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    So far so good. I've got no problems with jumping. The first rearmed was a blast. Is this not being made by the same people?

Grin went out of business last year, but it looks like it's being made by a company called fatshark. They are also based out of Sweden and it looks like at least one of their employees used to work at Grin.

http://www.giantbomb.com/fatshark-ab/65-6781/people/

I am fine with jumping in this game, just as I was fine without it in the first one. I loved that game, and hopefully this one will be just as good.

SteevL on
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    already posted my thoughts in another thread:
    Sollah wrote: »
    I honestly dunno what to think about that. On one hand, it would make it easier, and I doubt the addition would break the game's difficulty in any way. On the other, I'm so used to playing the series without it (except for the 3D one of course).

It'd be interesting if there's an option to turn it off, though I won't cry about it if there isn't (hopefully).

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forgot to add developer details at the start, but I've added it to the OP. But simply put: nope.

I'm open to other suggestions for a title, it was just the best I could come up with at this late hour that said "Bionic Commando Rearmed 2" and "WTF, jumping?"

No the title works, specifically because of the groan aftertaste. :P

Henroid on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That spot won me over with BC trying to reach for the platform.
    *Ungh* *UUUUNGH* I CAN DO IIIIT... *ungh* I can't do it :cry:
    :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    already posted my thoughts in another thread:
    I honestly dunno what to think about that. On one hand, it would make it easier, and I doubt the addition would break the game's difficulty in any way. On the other, I'm so used to playing the series without it (except for the 3D one of course).

It'd be interesting if there's an option to turn it off, though I won't cry about it if there isn't (hopefully).

I doubt there will be an option to turn it off. I'm sure the levels will be designed so there are platforms where you have to jump to hook to them (Like when they first showed jumping in the trailer). Turning it off would probably require a redesigning of the levels.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why the fuck would I need to jump in Bionic Commando? That's a stupid change.

-SPI- on
    edited April 2010
    Since it's a completely new game, I am fine with the jumping. I hope they can do just as well with the level design, though. The first Rearmed's level design was mostly based on the original NES game's levels, with the exceptions being the last stage and the two corridor levels. This one, I assumine, will be comprised of just original content. I also wonder how the music will fare.

SteevL on
    edited April 2010
    Updated OP with screens and the press release. Q1 2011, folks.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought I was over GRIN being dead. I am not. Jumping is pretty cool, I suppose. Then again
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Why the fuck would I need to jump in Bionic Commando? That's a stupid change.

Wait.
    All new musical score inspired by NES-era sound effects, produced by the same creative mind behind the original Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack
    Okay. I'm in.

Monger on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wasn't a big fan of the first one (the whole thing just felt clunky) so maybe I'll like this one better.

RainbowDespair on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    Why have NES-era sound when you can go for the Commodore 64?

Henroid on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looking forward to it.

Mechanical on
    edited April 2010
    Bionic Commando can only feel clunky if you aren't good at it yet. It's pretty much the whole point of the game and where the satisfaction comes from to get good enough with the swinging so you move fluid and fast. Once you're proficient with the arm you would never need or want to jump, which is why this change is unnecessary and stupid.

-SPI- on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely looking forward to this. The original was fantastic. I've been meaning to get back to it at some point to finish the challenges and achievements. I never did get Cat Burglar, though I was close a couple times. That image after the final boss? Epic. I have mixed feelings on the addition of jumping, though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There had better be exploding heads.

Mechanical on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bionic Commando can only feel clunky if you aren't good at it yet. It's pretty much the whole point of the game and where the satisfaction comes from to get good enough with the swinging so you move fluid and fast. Once you're proficient with the arm you would never need or want to jump, which is why this change is unnecessary and stupid.

Actually, my main issue was with weapon changing, not a lack of jumping.

RainbowDespair on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Q1 2011, folks.

Goooooooooooood.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have always hated Bionic Commando because you can't jump and I always die and it's terrible not being able to do a simple thing that every other video game character can do in a similar situation. You don't even have to be able to jump very high, just let me do something. Even Castlevania jumping. Ugh.

So maybe I will look at this because it's finally fixing a terrible broken series.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Actually, my main issue was with weapon changing, not a lack of jumping.

My main issue was Lives and why the fuck were they in a 21st century game. I don't care how cute and charming seeing the old 1-up is. I want to make mistakes over and over and not have to grind to get back at it after a while.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2010
    Added the following statement from Christian Svensson to OP:
    The Rearmed 2 team has several original members from the Grin team and is running on the same engine/made with the same tools.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited April 2010
    OK, cool, this is definitely starting to sound like it's on the right track.

The announcement actually got me to finally open my copy of Bionic Commando which I've had for the 360 for a while. I'm not really far at all, but it seems pretty cool so far. I'm sure my opinion will change as I progress and it gets frustrating, but hopefully it won't.

SteevL on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    New Bionic Commando Rearmed = yay

Jumping in BC = boo

People who complain about not being able to jump in BC = crazy weird, like those people who wind their toilet paper with the flap under the roll in the holder
    SteevL wrote: »
    The announcement actually got me to finally open my copy of Bionic Commando which I've had for the 360 for a while. I'm not really far at all, but it seems pretty cool so far. I'm sure my opinion will change as I progress and it gets frustrating, but hopefully it won't.

While I was a pretty ardent supporter of new Bionic Commando pre-release, I found that I actually had to work in order for the care to actually finish the damned game in the end. It felt off, soulless, and the angsty srs bsns of its thematic elements and story really grated, especially when compared to the comparatively lighter-hearted, don't-give-a-fuck vibe of Rearmed.

Oh, and god the ending. Fuck that ending. What the fuck.

Zxerol on
    edited April 2010
    I can call people crazy too for thinking jumping doesn't have a place in Bionic Commando.

I love people who get all puritan about video games. I'm one of them though, I've bitched about shit like this for other series.

Henroid on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    in all seriousness though, while I think implementing jumping in BC is kinda missing the point of the game, I honestly don't really care as long as the game is fun and level design is tight.

My enjoyment of the original BC:R was about 10% nostalgia -- the rest of it was because the game is just plain goddamned fun. If they can capture that with a whole new game without the benefit of rose-tinting, then all the better.

Zxerol on
    edited April 2010
    I never saw the inability of jumping as being the "point" of the game. The point of the game was to shoot the guys and blow shit up.

Henroid on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope that there'll be a PC version despite it not being announced.

I think I saw someone say that jumping will make the game easier. I'd guess that it's the opposite since the levels will be designed around it.

Peewi on
    edited April 2010
    I never saw the inability of jumping as being the "point" of the game. The point of the game was to shoot the guys and blow shit up.

well, that basically describes about 90% of all games ever, then

you have to have a schtick mang, a hook. and the hook of BC was you had A GODDAMNED ROBOTIC SWINGING ARM SON. why are you gonna jump when you have a GODDAMNED ROBOTIC SWINGING ARM

but it's a moot argument anyway because like I said, I really don't care as long as the game is well-made and fun.

Zxerol on
    edited April 2010
    I'll most certainly love it anyway, Re-Armed was my personal game of the year when it came out. But still, jumping, whaaaaat? What are you guys doing?
    Plus overreacting is fun.

-SPI- on
    edited April 2010
    Actually, come to think of it, I think a lot of people's problems with the game isn't just the lack of jumping (although that's a pretty big deal because it works against all those years of muscle memory and common videogaming expectations), but the lack of air control. I think that is a big element when people talk about how "clunky" and imprecise the game feels.

Now that's quite a bit more contentious, I think, because I'm not sure about it. I didn't mind it at all in Rearmed, and think it's one of the game's charms, but I've also played the NES game like a grip of times already so I was pretty cool with that nuance. But then again, I also remember trying to play Ghouls and Ghosts game a few years back (a series I'm not nearly as familiar with) and that mechanic drove me up the fucking wall like nothing.

I wonder if they'll keep that in, along with long stretches of instant death chasms if you fuck up a swing and can't correct it in mid-air.

Zxerol on
    edited April 2010
    I think you have to be careful with things like that, it could make it more accessible to some people starting out but you risk diminishing the high skill level satisfaction you get once the controls and systems click.

Make no bones about it, I think everyone playing Bionic Commando (rearmed or the nes original) for the first time start out with "what the fuck is going on?! I don't even... Dude what the fuck?" and then slowly get into the swing of things until they're proficient and can storm through levels which makes it all the more satisfying.

Same kind of thing with the spiderman games really, Spiderman 2 is considered the best by a large number of people due to the complex and satisfying swing mechanics. In subsequent games they tried to make the swinging more streamlined and easy to get into but at the same time made it far less satisfying and fun.

Anyway, more BC is going to be sweet, with more awesome music. I wonder if the top down sections will make a return?

-SPI- on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm hoping they consider the Next Gen Bionic Commando as never happening with it's stupid dead wife arm stupidity.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am tentatively excited for this.

Cautiously optimistic you see.
    HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS ITS A NEW BIONIC COMMANDO, A GOOD 2D ONE!

Clearly, reserving judgement until I see more, play a demo.

mrsnackroad on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jumping or not, count me in for more fun. Recently noticed how few achievements I have for Rearmed..... dang I'm not that good. Still loved the challenge room stuff anyway.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FUCK JUMPING BOYCOTT BCR2!!!!!!1

Okay, I'm joking. But seriously, I don't like that addition. I absolutely loved BCR though, so I'm still very interested in this. I wonder if they'll have more maddeningly hard challenge missions.

Rex Dart on