As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What are you doing different for next PAX?

13»

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow..things to do differently:

1. Lose weight. I tried before prime last year and didn't do well. but this year I have more of a head start.
    2. Get to Seattle Earlier and spend more time enjoying stuff (also staying later so I don't have to feel rushed home.
    3. Spend a little LESS time in tabletop and more time checking out some of the other stuff. I spent a huge amount of time with the SJ Games Team (not that it was bad at all, but I really want to get into more of the Con Stuff.)
    4. Take some of the other suggestions I've seen people listing and do them as well (comfy shoes/athletic tape is a great one)

Solelron on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    East:
    • This year my friend and I flew up (BWI->BOS on JetBlue). The flight was fine and short, but when I fly I basically always just bring a carryon. Speeds things up immensely, easier to get around with just one bag, and you're not left waiting at the airport for lost/delayed bags containing all your underwear. One of my biggest regrets this year was not doing BYOC. I'm not so sure about checking my computer+monitor, so I was thinking next year I'll look into the Acela train. Free wifi is nice, but looks like it costs more to take the train than fly, and it's significantly longer - even counting the security and stuff at the airport. When does the train roll through Baltimore, and does anyone take the Acela or just the normal NE regional?
    • BRING MY (wife's) DS.
    • I took my D&D dungeonmaster exam after PAX, so ideally I'd like to run a couple games as well as play some. Part of this might be doing a Slot-0 Thursday night.
    • Stab someone if there are scarves again and I miss them (again).
    • We got in fairly late on Thursday night. Basically checked in, ate, went to sleep. I'd probably try to come in Thursday morning next year and get some gaming in that night.
    • A little more variety. My friend and I were lucky enough to be in the D&D room when the signup sheets were printed off, so we got to sit for almost all the sessions that were run (Dark Sun FTW). Playing lots of D&D was incredibly fun, especially since we don't have a regular group at home. However, I didn't get to play Munchkin with a single person, or try out AAAaaaAAaaaaAaaaaAAA!!! or SmallWorld.
    • Develop a pill to replace eating so I can spend more time gaming or meeting people.
    • I was actually considering making up 100 or so custom 'business' cards which would basically have my Steam, XBL, etc accounts, and a 'disposable' google voice number that I'm not afraid to give out to random people but forwards calls/texts to my cell.

Prime:
    • Not certain if I'm going yet for sure, but I'd love to do BYOC now that my sweet new rig is fully operational. That again makes flying a dicey proposition though, and the alternatives for getting to Seattle are even less appetizing than to Boston. Perhaps I could ship it, or send it along with the nuts that drive from DC to Seattle, but those options (especially the latter) give me the willies. I'm only just getting to know her, I'm not sure I'm ready to make this an open relationship just yet.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shipping your PC is far better than flying with it (unless you have a shuttle XPC or somesuch). Just ship it to the hotel you are staying at, marked Care of Guest (your name). They will hold it for you until your stay. You can also call to let them know you are staying there and a package will be coming for you before your stay.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Shipping your PC is far better than flying with it (unless you have a shuttle XPC or somesuch). Just ship it to the hotel you are staying at, marked Care of Guest (your name). They will hold it for you until your stay. You can also call to let them know you are staying there and a package will be coming for you before your stay.

I don't want to derail this thread, but what is the recommended packaging method, especially for the monitor, if you don't have the original boxen/material? I've shipped beer through FedEx/UPS before and you have to pack it up extremely well to prevent breakages - putting "delicate" on a package is goggles (it does nothing), and I would consider my computer parts to be of a similar frailty.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • MarsupermammalMarsupermammal Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    East:
    • This year my friend and I flew up (BWI->BOS on JetBlue). The flight was fine and short, but when I fly I basically always just bring a carryon. Speeds things up immensely, easier to get around with just one bag, and you're not left waiting at the airport for lost/delayed bags containing all your underwear. One of my biggest regrets this year was not doing BYOC. I'm not so sure about checking my computer+monitor, so I was thinking next year I'll look into the Acela train. Free wifi is nice, but looks like it costs more to take the train than fly, and it's significantly longer - even counting the security and stuff at the airport. When does the train roll through Baltimore, and does anyone take the Acela or just the normal NE regional?

I took the Acela up with 3 other enforcers. We didn't really see anyone on the way up, but on our return trip Tuesday morning I ran into a couple of attendees, as well as Gabe and Tycho (they were going to NY for the book tour) which was awesome, they each stopped and talked with us for a few minutes, and allowed me to extend the wonderful PAX experience (as well as debate as to who was favorite [Gabe won this year]). The train ride from Philadelphia was around 5 hours, and was decent enough. It is a bit pricey and the wifi isn't worth a whole lot (slow, spotty connectivity, but fine for web browsing with patience). I'll probably go this route for the next East as well.

Marsupermammal on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After five different PAXes I have finally learned that getting to the Queue Room on Friday morning 2-4 hours before the keynote is mandatory if you want to get in. Also, *not* waiting in the Queue Room for PA Q&A Panels has always worked out for me.

I think I may dress up this year. It sounds like a new experience to have as a PAX attendee-one I haven't had yet. :whistle:

Masquerade78 on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am staying a block away.

Had to take a 15 minute bus ride last year.

That doesn't sound too bad, but you have to get up earlier to catch a morning bus, and then you can't just run back to the room during the day... Carrying a bag full of stuff (getting fuller as the day goes on) for 12 hours at a time is brutal.

This year I can just take a 5 minute walk back to the room, drop it off, and go back.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spokane, I can sorta see your predicament, but I think if you know you're gonna be doing that ahead of time, you would also prioritize things. At school I walked from my apartment to my workplace on campus in ~30 minutes with my laptop bag and my grocery bag full of dinner and lunch (12 hour shift, VOLUNTARILY took it weekly). And I lived on the the other side of not one but TWO hills and a good mile and a quarter as the crow flies. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. So tell me, what would you suggest if you have to stay farther away?

feitocomfruta on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So tell me, what would you suggest if you have to stay farther away?

Make friends with someone who is staying in a nearby hotel. Ask them if you can stash some of your swag there, until it's convenient for you to take it all back to your hotel. OR get a BYOC pass, bring your computer, and use your table/chair space to stow some swag there.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited April 2010
    Spokane, I can sorta see your predicament, but I think if you know you're gonna be doing that ahead of time, you would also prioritize things. At school I walked from my apartment to my workplace on campus in ~30 minutes with my laptop bag and my grocery bag full of dinner and lunch (12 hour shift, VOLUNTARILY took it weekly). And I lived on the the other side of not one but TWO hills and a good mile and a quarter as the crow flies. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. So tell me, what would you suggest if you have to stay farther away?

If I HAD to stay further away I would probably do it the same way.

But I don't HAVE to. So I decided far in advance this year to pay a couple extra bucks and stay right across the street. The extra convenience and extra 40 minutes of sleep each day will be more then worth it.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Being right next to PAX has its definite advantages. For me, it's always worth the extra cash to be right nearby.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

That doesn't sound too bad, but you have to get up earlier to catch a morning bus, and then you can't just run back to the room during the day... Carrying a bag full of stuff (getting fuller as the day goes on) for 12 hours at a time is brutal.

This year I can just take a 5 minute walk back to the room, drop it off, and go back.

truth. i had to go back to the hotel atleast once each day to deposit swag, you don't think about it but shirts and other crap can get annoying to hold while waiting in line for hours. i'm glad i had a backpack but man everyone wanted to store their jacket in it.

Local H Jay on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

truth. i had to go back to the hotel atleast once each day to deposit swag, you don't think about it but shirts and other crap can get annoying to hold while waiting in line for hours. i'm glad i had a backpack but man everyone wanted to store their jacket in it.

If your in a group having someone with a backpack is great. Yeah don't stuff it full of crap like jackets and such use it for swag. Also jackets are pretty much useless in Seattle during September unless of course it's raining.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's my list:

1.) No more lines for panels. I messed up my hip big time last year due to sitting/standing on concrete and I felt like I missed a huge chunk of PAX due to it. This time, I'll catch it on DVD.
    2.) Less scheduling, more going with the flow. It's lame if PAX is stressful the whole time, worrying about being in three places at once.
    3.) Be early for the PubCrawl.
    And possibly,
    4.) Learn how to play D&D

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited April 2010
    Sumi, I agree, it should be more go with the flow, but you should still plan some stuff out. I mean, there should be like a few things per day you want to check out and plan on, but only one or two parts per day should be solid, can't-miss plans.

feitocomfruta on
  • ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is my third PAX, and I took notes right after PAX 2009 of what I should remember for next year. A few of the more important ones:

1) Get started on my costume well in advance. Last year I went as Altair, and the costume was finished two days before PAX started. Learning from that, my costume is almost done for PAX 2010 already.

2) Water. Lots of water. In bottles. I was way too thirsty at the concerts last time, partly due to the heat. I had to go around asking random people if they could spare a bottle of water. Next time, I'm bringing tons of water. Of course, I've got to store these somewhere, which brings me to...

3) Bigger bag. Last year I had nothing but a small bag(that went with my costume) and soft-sided lunch box. The backpack held swag, water, and equipment (camera, DS, etc). This year, I'm looking into a backpack/duffel bag, and a side pack. The side pack will hold things I need to access quickly, like electronics. The backpack will hold my food, water (LOTS!), and lots of SWAG. I ran out of room during the Sunday SWAG rush, and didn't get nearly as much as I could have.

4) Poster storage method. Last time I had issues carrying posters around; I had to get yet another bag. My brilliant "roll up the poster and stick it in an empty water bottle" idea gave me three ruined posters and a nightmare carrying them around still. This year I plan to work a capped PVC poster carrier into my costume or bag.

5) Excercise. Get ready for walking around and more importantly (for concerts) standing around for a while. I'll probably use my duffel bag for a small bench on occasion, provided I can get it packed with enough free t-shirts on Saturday. I'll probably look into some inexpensive orthotics to give my feet some cushioning.

6) Panels. I tried to get into some panels, but I always underestimated how long the lines were going to be. I'd like to catch a few more of those.

7) Signatures! I'll bring my Dr. Horrible Blu-ray and see if I can get Felicia Day to sign the case insert.

8) Waiting-in-line activities. I'd love to bring my Uke and play some songs once I'm good enough and my costume allows for it, but for now I should just bring some highly-portable games to amuse those around me.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After having been tw no less than five E3 shows and three PAXes (PAXi?) I think I've pretty much dialed in the whole five-days-of-event-in three-days schtick.

This year, I'm bringing some of my vintage games (I say that in all seriousness, some of them are first editions published in the 1970s) and try and get the designer's/programmer's/publisher's autograph. I was surprised how accessible and findable some of the "big names" in gaming were at last year's PAX and hope that the trend continues.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stupid wrote: »
    I was surprised how accessible and findable some of the "big names" in gaming were at last year's PAX and hope that the trend continues.

I am pretty sure that is what PAX is all about :)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »
    2) Water. Lots of water. In bottles.

3) This year, I'm looking into a backpack/duffel bag, and a side pack.

All you need is a bottle. There are drinking fountains to refill at.

I would avoid the duffel bag though... Seriously. Just look for a backpack with some comfortable padded straps. You are not going to want to be carrying a duffel bag in your hand or wearing unpadded straps during this event.

Last year I took a simple messenger bag that didn't have a padded strap, had a 2in wide nylon strap (like what you would find on a duffel bag) and by the end of the weekend both my shoulders were killing me. And I wasn't even using it for more then a bottle of water, DS, 2 Red Bulls and 2-3 swag shirts.

I had a friend who did bring a normal school backpack and even he was hurting at the end.

Unfortunetly when you carry something for 12-14 hours a day and are on your feet for a lot of that, it is going to suck. So try to make it suck as little as possible.

I am seriously thinking about bringing my camping daypack this year. Has a bladder pack for water, thick comfortable straps, and if I feel I need them a waist belt.

Spokane_SnowMan on
    edited April 2010
    All you need is a bottle. There are drinking fountains to refill at.

Yes, but I consume water very quickly. (7-10 seconds to down a standard bottle.) In concert situations, I need a steady supply of water. Yes I can refill one throughout the day, but I'll need a small supply (3-4) I can eat through when I can't access a fountain.
    I would avoid the duffel bag though... Seriously. Just look for a backpack with some comfortable padded straps. You are not going to want to be carrying a duffel bag in your hand or wearing unpadded straps during this event.

Ah, good point. I'll bring a decent-sized backpack instead. That would be better anyways if I were to add wings to my costume.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am seriously thinking about bringing my camping daypack this year. Has a bladder pack for water, thick comfortable straps, and if I feel I need them a waist belt.

Ploogle, when I saw you say how much water you go through, the first thing I thought of was what is quoted above. If you need that much water, you'll do far better with a hydration pack than bottles. A 100 ounce pack (5 x 20 oz bottles) takes up way, way less space than those bottles do and if you have a backpack designed to hold the hydration pack it is a much better distribution of weight than bottles tossed in the bottom of a backpack.

Steel Fire on
    edited April 2010
    Steel Fire wrote: »

Ploogle, when I saw you say how much water you go through, the first thing I thought of was what is quoted above. If you need that much water, you'll do far better with a hydration pack than bottles. A 100 ounce pack (5 x 20 oz bottles) takes up way, way less space than those bottles do and if you have a backpack designed to hold the hydration pack it is a much better distribution of weight than bottles tossed in the bottom of a backpack.

I'll definitely look into that, seeing as how I'm still shopping around for my pack. :D

ploogle on
  • VenerableMonsterVenerableMonster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is my first PAX, so I'm looking to glean as much info as I can. So far my plan is to have at least one water bottle to refill, some snacks to sustain in line, a DS, a backpack, business cards, participating in community events (i've already scheduled my flight to arrive in time for Pre-PAX dinner and pub crawl), etc.

My only concern now is trying to find the balance of panels, tabletop gaming (something I don't have a lot of experience with but want to try), and all the other stuff going on. It seems that everyone has different ideas on what to prioritize. My first day tentative plan is to hit the merch booth to get the cool, limited stuff then jump in line for the opening ceremony/keynote stuff. Does this make sense? Is this a waste of my time? What should I do the other two days?

Sorry for the PAX noob questions, it just seems like this is the place to ask them since you all seem grizzled and experienced.

VenerableMonster on
    edited April 2010
    This is my first PAX, so I'm looking to glean as much info as I can. So far my plan is to have at least one water bottle to refill, some snacks to sustain in line, a DS, a backpack, business cards, participating in community events (i've already scheduled my flight to arrive in time for Pre-PAX dinner and pub crawl), etc.

My only concern now is trying to find the balance of panels, tabletop gaming (something I don't have a lot of experience with but want to try), and all the other stuff going on. It seems that everyone has different ideas on what to prioritize. My first day tentative plan is to hit the merch booth to get the cool, limited stuff then jump in line for the opening ceremony/keynote stuff. Does this make sense? Is this a waste of my time? What should I do the other two days?

Sorry for the PAX noob questions, it just seems like this is the place to ask them since you all seem grizzled and experienced.

The unfortunate thing is that you can't really know what to expect, what you'll like the most and all that, until you've experienced your first PAX. Sample everything; go to a few panels, play some tabletop games, go to the expo hall, see a concert or two...you'll have a blast regardless and know all the better how to get more out of PAX the next time.

ploogle on
    edited April 2010
    As for snacks and drinks and stuff, I have experience in that. I was on an OPPerations committee for my college's Dance Marathon, and we were on the floor at odd hours and had to be able to keep working. We were allowed to bring a small bag with us in order to hold anything we needed on the floor. In the bag, I kept two or three bottles of water and a sandwich bag full of Frosted Mini Wheats Big Bites. The grain in it was healthy and full of carbs and the sugar on top gave me an extra shot of energy.

Now one thing PAX has that we didn't is the Cookie Brigade. If you are really hurting for a snack, the Cookie Brigade will help you out, I'm sure.

feitocomfruta on
    edited April 2010
    They need to somehow shift time and space, because you aren't going to see half of what you want too...

Pick the things you MUST see, and show up early. I arrived 30 minutes before one panel thinking it would be fine and just managed to get in the last 2 rows of seating.

And yes... Get merch early... I learned my lesson from last year and will get a shirt this year...
    I kept two or three bottles of water and a sandwich bag full of Frosted Mini Wheats Big Bites. The grain in it was healthy and full of carbs and the sugar on top gave me an extra shot of energy.

Now one thing PAX has that we didn't is the Cookie Brigade. If you are really hurting for a snack, the Cookie Brigade will help you out, I'm sure.

There is a ton of food with in just a couple blocks and a subway in the building so food isn't tough. Last year I also saw a cart being wheeled around upstairs with sandwichs, drinks, and snacks for sale.

Also, push come to shove, search the exhibit floor. You can get some energy drinks and other such pretty easily, and for free.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Heh, cool thread... must remind myself to post a list of things I would do better this year...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As for snacks and drinks and stuff...

Does anyone know of any good meal replacement bars that could be easily carried around in a purse/bag? I'm not looking to beef up or lose weight. I want enough vitamins, carbs, fibre, and protein to keep me going on those l-o-n-g PAX days without a ton of sugar so I don't crash on it later. My goal is also to avoid the long food lineups when I'm already ravenous and possibly save some cash as well.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't find out about the food they were selling inside Hynes until day 2, so I went the entirety of Friday (from 9 am to 11pm) without food. Still had a great time, I think Friday was probably the best day overall.

Goose! on
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Last year at Prime I enjoyed the hell out of drop-in DnD that Wizard had running. This year I plan on joining more random boardgames with people. I'm a Settlers of Catan virgin so I'm hoping to fix that this year.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    I didn't find out about the food they were selling inside Hynes until day 2, so I went the entirety of Friday (from 9 am to 11pm) without food. Still had a great time, I think Friday was probably the best day overall.
    For convention food it was reasonably priced, too. I think it was maybe eight bucks for a burger, fries and a drink. I spent around that much for a combo at Burger King at a rest station in Jersey.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sumi wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any good meal replacement bars that could be easily carried around in a purse/bag? I'm not looking to beef up or lose weight. I want enough vitamins, carbs, fibre, and protein to keep me going on those l-o-n-g PAX days without a ton of sugar so I don't crash on it later. My goal is also to avoid the long food lineups when I'm already ravenous and possibly save some cash as well.

I've found clif bars to be a decent hold-me-over between meals. While NO packaged product is a 100% meal replacement, the clif products ave a nice healthy balance of micronutrients that will do in a pinch. The only real problems are that they are "only" 250 calories, so you might want to supplement them with some hard candy, and they are rather dry so you are going to NEED to drink some water with them.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As for snacks and drinks and stuff...

I love Luna bars. They're pretty much the only ones with protein in them that doesn't taste like chalk to me. Plus, the whole 'nutrition for women' thing scared my husband off of them until I gave him one when we were desperate for food. Now I have to pick up flavors he doesn't like if I want to make sure they don't disappear. :)
    Mojo bars are pretty good as snacks too. But for all my love of both of those, I can't choke down a Cliff Bar even when I'm starving.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My next PAX is Prime and I know what I am doing differently.

I am not sharing my room with my friend who assured me his friend in Washington was going to put him up for the weekend. Ruined any chance I had of enjoying my time at PAX.

Also not telling relatives I have in Washington State that I am going. Nothing like missing Day 3 of PAX to be bored by family.

PAX '09 taught me you have to go to PAX like a ninja, arrive and leave silently leaving no one that can annoy you knowing that you were there ... and party like a rock star!

Ricin

Ricin on
  • Dr. TrevorkianDr. Trevorkian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone know of any good meal replacement bars that could be easily carried around in a purse/bag? I'm not looking to beef up or lose weight. I want enough vitamins, carbs, fibre, and protein to keep me going on those l-o-n-g PAX days without a ton of sugar so I don't crash on it later.
    Clif bars (as someone already mentioned) are great. That's my breakfast every day. Larabars are also very good (depending on flavor and preference) and are, quoted from their website, "GLUTEN FREE * DAIRY FREE * SOY FREE * NON-GMO * VEGAN * KOSHER" which is OK by me.

For my part, I think I did pretty well at PAX 09, for my first time. I wore thick socks and comfortable boots, brought my big water canteen and snacks (including Clif & Larabars!) and planned out all of the panels and presentations I didn't want to miss, leaving plenty of time for exploration.

However, this time I need to research how all the tabletop stuff is coordinated so I can participate in that. I shunned all of that because I didn't want to walk in cluelessly. Likewise, I need to seek out the free play rooms this time. In hindsight I know I didn't have the time, but I wish I'd been able to spend some time just goofing off with random games.

I also need to talk to more people (that seems to be common among us!) as I only approached people I knew to some degree via the Internet. Except the flustered woman who traded camera duty with me at Wheaton's table. You were great, whoever you were. I'm so glad you didn't bolt when you accidentally scampered off before taking my picture and I called you back.

I'm likewise going to bring cards. I probably should have done it last year to spread the word about my fledgling music blog, but that implied I would have to approach strangers, and I didn't even pretend I was up for that.

I let my wife talk me into using her (unisex, mind you) messenger bag rather than my laptop backpack (sans laptop). This time I'll choose the padded, buoyant straps and well-distributed load over the lean profile.

And finally, exercise. My health (and appearance) were at an all-time low at PAX last year. Nevermind how I looked, my stamina was pathetic. If you stacked the hours up, I basically did one day of PAX, and I was beat at the end of it. If I want to get more out of PAX, I need to prepare my body to enable it. I've shed a visible amount of weight since then, but I'm only exercising casually and that's probably not good enough to counter the effects of having almost my entire life revolve around sitting in front of a computer.

Dr. Trevorkian on
    edited April 2010
    RE: Meal "replacement" bars, I'll bring this up with the Cookie Brigade and see if maybe we can get some recipes together for good bars to hand out if that is what you are looking for. Cuz if it's homemade, you're more likely to think it tastes delicious.

feitocomfruta on
    edited April 2010
    RE: Meal "replacement" bars, I'll bring this up with the Cookie Brigade and see if maybe we can get some recipes together for good bars to hand out if that is what you are looking for. Cuz if it's homemade, you're more likely to think it tastes delicious.

Hit backpacking forums up for these types of recipes.

Backpacker.com cooking forum has some good ones.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I definitely need to converse and mingle more. I don't think I really met anyone at PAX East until the last night, and even those guys probably don't remember me.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
    edited April 2010
    Ah yes, I'll have to grab some Clif bars. I forgot about ultraportable snacks.

ploogle on
This discussion has been closed.