As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 7: ITT JustinSane is undisputably bad at Undisputed

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Hmm, I had no idea Alvarez fought in Japan after signing with Bellator. In that case, yeah, it would be a fight I'd have some interest in. Aside from the few loose ends floating around in Japan, it'd be great to see Melendez in the UFC.

Its getting pretty close to a done deal that Shields is headed to the UFC.

And then Dan Henderson and Mayhem fight for the vacant title, right?

Shows how deep Strikeforce's roster is. :D

I wouldn't mind seeing Jacare get in the mix there somehow. He and Mayhem are taking forever to get around to finishing that no contest last May.

Also - it didn't really occur to me at the time, but why was Melendez putting up the SF belt against Aoki? What would've happened if Aoki had won? It's not like King Mo, who signed a multi-fight deal with SF. It seems unlikely Aoki would have stayed in the US and kept defending the belt, his rent is paid in Japan, not the US. That's risking another Overeem situation, where a guy just takes the belt to Japan for 2 years. Was it just so there could be 5 rounds?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bet it was just to get a bigger name like Aoki into the promotion. I bet they could have dealt with the headache of shuttling him back and forth between organizations for the greater name recognition it would have given them.

If that was the plan it backfired spectacularly, much like the rest of that evening.

Peen on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry, losing Shields is no biggie.

At least they still have Herschel Walker to carry the promotion.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's so weird that SF would be gambling on the results of their own fights, really stupid situation.

815165 on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Shields vs Fitch is going to be awesome.

I realize you're being sarcastic, but I would like to see this fight. It would basically be a grappling match, with both guys being very strong, very good wrestlers but also high level BJJ guys. Both guys will be able to escape from their back, and Shields will be more aggressive positionally, which will mix things up a bit. I think it would be a very good demonstration of ground skill in a fight, obviously not a PPV seller though.

Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I've been thinking a lot about tournament style events. I'd like to see them come back to popular MMA. Certainly, no fighter should fight more than one fight per event and with injury rates being what they are, tournaments may well be too risky, but I feel they would create tension, excitement and clear achievable goals for fighters. I think it might also endear fighters more to the public. We get to watch and root for them as they make their way towards the big fight.

I'd certainly rather watch an elimination tournament than a season of TUF.

I've had that exact same thought myself. I've been expecting TUF to morph into something like that when it outgrows its current form, but who knows when/if that will happen. It is also I think very interesting if one looks at markets the UFC wants to break into, such as more of Europe, more of Japan, and new markets of China and India. Putting on TUF-like events is a good way of providing hype for fighters and events. I think a reality TV show isn't the right format for targeting foreigners (and foreign fighters) in most cases, but a tournament? You can throw whoever you want in a tournament and make it be interesting.

I dont think the time is quite right for this yet, but imagine a show, featuring Chinese fighters who want to get into the UFC. A TUF style may appeal to the Chinese audience (I have no idea what they watch on TV), but the rest of the world wouldn't care. Instead have a tournament, or tournament style of fights where guys compete to get a UFC/WEC contract, or something. Have blurbs hyping the fighters, showing them training and the like. Mix up the rules of the tournament to make it more engaging over time, and to make it easier for the audience to remember the fighters. The team format may be useful here, along with multiple wild-card matches.

Anyway, yeah, lots of potential for elimination tournaments. I don't care about huge, best in the world type tournaments. I think ones involving lower level fighters are a great way to show-case their skills though.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

I realize you're being sarcastic, but I would like to see this fight. It would basically be a grappling match, with both guys being very strong, very good wrestlers but also high level BJJ guys. Both guys will be able to escape from their back, and Shields will be more aggressive positionally, which will mix things up a bit. I think it would be a very good demonstration of ground skill in a fight, obviously not a PPV seller though.
    Or we'd find out in the first round which of them is able to hold top position and the other two rounds would be exactly the same, or we'd get a terrible kickboxing match. I'd probably enjoy it too if it turned out both guys were very evenly matched grapplers and neither wanted to strike, but I think it's more likely one of them will find out they're a better grappler and win via UD.

815165 on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's so weird that SF would be gambling on the results of their own fights, really stupid situation.

Really puts the UFC contracts into perspective, that's for sure.

Say what you want about how restrictive and controlling UFC's contracts can be (and from what I've seen, they certainly can be), but a situation like that would never happen with them. If a champ ran off with their belt (ala Penn or Couture), they would strip them and let other qualified folks fight for the belt or eventually get them to come back and defend it.

They would not, however, let a current champ become a free agent. That's pretty ridiculous.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Or we'd find out in the first round which of them is able to hold top position and the other two rounds would be exactly the same, or we'd get a terrible kickboxing match. I'd probably enjoy it too if it turned out both guys were very evenly matched grapplers and neither wanted to strike, but I think it's more likely one of them will find out they're a better grappler and win via UD.
    Or it'll turn out like Shields/Mayhem and we'll end up with lots of interesting positions except in a more active manner.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6915/hendersoncrucifix.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Or it'll turn out like Shields/Mayhem and we'll end up with lots of interesting positions except in a more active manner.

Looks a bit too risky for Fitch's taste. :(

edit: holy shit how have I never heard of this guy?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    B:L wrote: »

Looks a bit too risky for Fitch's taste. :(

edit: holy shit how have I never heard of this guy?

I remember coming across Fulton's wiki page awhile back. He's not as well known as Jeremy Horn or Dan Severn, but dude is still a fighting machine.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jon Fitch has twice as many decision wins as a guy with 192 career wins. 8-)

815165 on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yager = douche

Wibod on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Hmm, I had no idea Alvarez fought in Japan after signing with Bellator. In that case, yeah, it would be a fight I'd have some interest in. Aside from the few loose ends floating around in Japan, it'd be great to see Melendez in the UFC.

Its getting pretty close to a done deal that Shields is headed to the UFC.

And then Dan Henderson and Mayhem fight for the vacant title, right?

Shows how deep Strikeforce's roster is. :D

I wouldn't mind seeing Jacare get in the mix there somehow. He and Mayhem are taking forever to get around to finishing that no contest last May.

Also - it didn't really occur to me at the time, but why was Melendez putting up the SF belt against Aoki? What would've happened if Aoki had won? It's not like King Mo, who signed a multi-fight deal with SF. It seems unlikely Aoki would have stayed in the US and kept defending the belt, his rent is paid in Japan, not the US. That's risking another Overeem situation, where a guy just takes the belt to Japan for 2 years. Was it just so there could be 5 rounds?

To be fair, Overeem wants to fight Fedor, but it doesn't happen, and Fedor keeps fighting the "no. 1 contender" guys in the division, so it is kind of impossible to get Overeem a decent fight in that situation. That said, I wish he'd just go UFC so we could see another big tough HW duking it out with similiar competition.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wibod wrote: »
    Yager = douche

That might be underselling how much of a douche he is.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Yager = douche

Is there a stronger word than douche that we can use?

Uberdouche just doesn't seem to cut it.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yager = douche

Yager = War Machine

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yager = douche

Yager = War Machine

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

EDIT: Although, I would like to point out that the other guy is a bit of douche for not apologizing. Jager's a Jagoff, but it was proven that he didn't steal the coach's stuff or the other guy's sweater.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That knee didn't even look like it hit him in the head. WTF.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kyacey vs. Antonio
    Was that knee illegal? It didn't look like it hit his head in the replay.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yeah, I want to see that replay again. I'm assuming the gif will be on the internet within an hour. It looked really borderline.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That knee hit him in the collar bone and then mangled his hand from the looks of it. The first hit him in the chest.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Besides that, it looked both of his knees were off the ground.

I want a slow motion gif and I want it now.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Besides that, it looked both of his knees were off the ground.

I want a slow motion gif and I want it now.

I'm pretty sure his ass being firmly on the ground would make that knee illegal if it did hit him in the head.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looked like he had his arm across his chest and the knee hit his arm for the first one, then it skipped off his hand/wrist that was infront of his face for #2, but neither hit him in the head or would have if his hands where moved. Punk ass move, especially since he was so dominate, I think his hand was fucked up before that and he took the easy way out.

Still that slam had my testicles shiver in fear. Here's to hoping Yager gets beaten to death.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the slow-mo replay clearly shows that the knee was legal, I'm going to be frothing at the mouth with rage.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Looked like he had his arm across his chest and the knee hit his arm for the first one, then it skipped off his hand/wrist that was infront of his face for #2, but neither hit him in the head or would have if his hands where moved. Punk ass move, especially since he was so dominate, I think his hand was fucked up before that and he took the easy way out.

Still that slam had my testicles chivver in fear. Here's to hoping Yager gets beaten to death.

Hey, let's be a bit more classy.

Let's hope Yager gets beaten to near-death. :)

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Still that slam had my testicles chivver in fear. Here's to hoping Yager gets beaten to death.

Hey, let's be a bit more classy.

Let's hope Yager gets beaten to near-death. :)

My apologies, I was just excited to talk about slams and my testies. Lets hope he gets beaten to brain death?

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey why the hell am I seeing an EliteXC card on Shotime right now? Didn't that promotion go under?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just want to see Yager get dumped on his ass and GnPed for 2 rounds.

Edit: lol frocop according to my friend

Wibod on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, Yager can go fuck a cactus.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just want to see Yager get dumped on his ass and GnPed for 2 rounds.

Edit: lol frocop according to my friend
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- Ugh what a spotlighter, I hate him even more.

Oh well, I'd still like to give Nick Ring a hug.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The guy maintained his footing pretty well. I hope Yager can roll as half as well as he can rock people.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    First fight: I didn't see the knee hit his head, they're almost certainly going to have Kyacey as one of the wild card guys.

Second fight: WTF Chuck putting a 5'8'' guy against a 6'1'' guy who looks to strike? Good matchup choice there boss.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    First fight: I didn't see the knee hit his head, they're almost certainly going to have Kyacey as one of the wild card guys.

Second fight: WTF Chuck putting a 5'8'' guy against a 6'1'' guy who looks to strike? Good matchup choice there boss.

Yeah...as soon as they stood next to each other, I said to myself, "That guy needs to drop to welterweight immediately".

He's probably a guy that saw an opportunity and put on pounds that he shouldn't have in the first place.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah...as soon as they stood next to each other, I said to myself, "That guy needs to drop to welterweight immediately".

He's probably a guy that saw an opportunity and put on pounds that he shouldn't have in the first place.
    Florian and Sanchez fought on TUF as Middleweights. There's usually at least a few guys in the wrong weight class on this show but they're taking a shot

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuck.

Judo Jim Wallhead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wallhead

18-5, one of the best guys in the Uk right now, trains at Roughouse etc...

Can the guy catch a fucking break?

He has been talking to the UFC for ages (he is Dans training partner), gets told he is too experienced for TUF after being told he was a shoe in, (which goes agasint all the "UK team were han-picked best guys" conspiracy theories), signs with Bellator and then can't make the tourny due to the fucking ash cloud!

In the meantime the UFC has signed 3 more Wolfslair cans (Rob Broughton being the only half decent one, think UK Roy Nelson), does Bisping give Dana very good head or something?

Roughouse > Team Kaobon > London Shootfighters > > Wolfslair

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dana really needs to get some solid oak doors for that place for when the next coach decides he wants to run through one in frustration
    italian dude really had a dominant performance there despite the flopping
    that kimura should've never materialized either though, it was clear what the dude was going for as soon as he got the arm
    not taking care of that before it was in and he got rolled over was just poor ring judgement on his part
    it would've been game over if the left leg had made it over per tito's instructions

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That knee looked completely legal to me. In this situation the judges need to get access to god damn video and watch shit like that again in slow-mo so they don't screw up like they did this time. Since mr.blue injured his hand he would have most likely lost that fight despite the early dominance, and mr.red got screwed over

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought his knee was pretty clearly down? And from where the ref was standing (and the initial camera angle for that matter) it really looked like he kneed him in the head. The ref can really only go by what he sees and what the reaction of the fighter is, since apparently they don't have the instant replay they have for a live card. People are saying it's a bitch move by the guy that was down but I think that's being a little bit harsh.

Peen on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, here's the gif

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qnmixk.gif

Note that the guy in blue said the second knee really put him out, and it looks like the second knee didnt touch his head but his hand...

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg