As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need a go-to rock-solid wireless router for home

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
I'm tired of my older Linksys at home flaking out on us and failing to keep a signal properly, so what's the general consensus on a simple, reliable home wireless router? We're using WPA now, if that's any considering, but I don't know what newer encryptions are out there.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Weren't Linksys THE go-to for a wireless router? That's what I'd always thought. I recently got a netgear, but it's kind of craptastic. My v2 WRT54G has lasted me years, and with either Tomato or DD-WRT on it, has all sorts of features.

Dedian on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DD-WRT is defintely rock solid xtreem to the maxx. The only reason I don't have a perfect 100% uptime since I flashed my router with it are city wide power failures. Other than that, it's always on, always connected, with perfect WiFi signal and stuff downloads as fast as my DSL connection can go.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been using one of these since mid-2006 (I got a new puppy then, so you can probably guess the need for WiFi) and it has been very reliable. I put Tomato on it for extra features and the nicer interface.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Linksys wrt54gs v.5 updated with DD-WRT

Years 1-2 were rock solid,
    year 3 we had some intermittent disconnects
    year 4 flashed DD WRT, and it's been rock solid yet.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Linksys with custom firmware. DD WRT or Tomato are both excellent.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have to agree with Linksys. They've come a long way since Cisco bought them up.

That being said, I did recommend some D-Link products to a friend, but I will be helping him set them up, and the type of wireless print server he was looking for wasn't offered by Linksys.

If I had to pick up a new wireless router for any reason (my FiOS one is working fantastic right now), I would either do Netgear (I feel they have better radios) or Linksys + Tomato.

Mugsley on
  • dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i have had several WRT54GL routers (when I leave a flat I tend to let the flatmates keep the router so they don't have to go through getting a new one) and have had nothing but awesome with various flavours of the open source firmwares. openWRT with LuCi is good without being excessively complicated (just offers a few handy things the regular firmware doesn't).

I don't know how much they go to improving the signal quality etc but I've never had issues with range/crashing anywhere I've used any of them.

dukederek on
    edited April 2010
    One of the coolest things about DD-WRT, for me at least, was that my router had a 16mb cache and was only using 4mb for the default firmware.

So between the overclocking of the router's processor, and the newly opened cache space for more persistent connections, network performance is hopping.

Captain Vash on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dedian wrote: »
    Weren't Linksys THE go-to for a wireless router? That's what I'd always thought. I recently got a netgear, but it's kind of craptastic. My v2 WRT54G has lasted me years, and with either Tomato or DD-WRT on it, has all sorts of features.
    Your positive LinkSys experience comes down to the fact that you have a v2. In later versions of the WRT54G, they switched from embedded Linux to VxWorks, which allowed them to cut down the amount of embedded storage and memory required. I think v4 was the last 54G before they started shaving down the hardware specs. I wouldn't buy a 54G these days, personally. The stock firmware is not great, and it's much more difficult to replace it with open firmware in current models. If you get a 54GL though, you're basically getting a recently manufactured v4 54G; stability should be better, and if you do have an issue it's trivial to put alternate firmware on it.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • TargoTargo Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    I have personally been having excellent experiences with various Belkin routers in both commercial and residential setups. Set up alot of their G routers for clients doing one floor networking in the last couple of days, and it's been pretty solid so far. Yeah, it's G but if you're doing small area and on a budget, it's a damn good deal. I'm using one of their N routers now for my own use, been with it about a month and not a single drop or low reception yet.

Targo on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've had a D-Link DIR-655 for about 2 years now, no complaints

Phyphor on
  • CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've got a couple Asus routers running DD-WRT (520gu and 520gc) which I'm quite happy with. They were cheap, easy to flash and have great uptime.

Critter on
    edited April 2010
    Targo wrote: »
    I have personally been having excellent experiences with various Belkin routers in both commercial and residential setups. Set up alot of their G routers for clients doing one floor networking in the last couple of days, and it's been pretty solid so far. Yeah, it's G but if you're doing small area and on a budget, it's a damn good deal. I'm using one of their N routers now for my own use, been with it about a month and not a single drop or low reception yet.

Belkin is kind of a crap shoot.

They make some nice routers, there is no denying that, but they also make the cheapest piece of shit routers you can buy.

I'm employed in a networking tech support call center and I can't even begin to tell you the number of calls I get where a piece of shit belkin from walmart is the problem.

Maybe you can suggest a few models that have had success with you?

Captain Vash on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Throw in another for the WRT54G.

You can find 'em on the cheap on craigslist and such.

Picked up a GL which works flawlessly for 30 bucks, flashed it with Tomato.

Pirusu on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am convinced no such thing exists. Wireless networking will drive you crazy.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2010
    I am convinced no such thing exists. Wireless networking will drive you crazy.

Not if you have DDWRT/TOMATO/Whatever open FW.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to have good results with Buffalo but they ran into some patent-related problems for a while and stopped being able to sell wireless hardware for like a year so who knows if they suck now or not.

Daedalus on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So basically the best routers are from Linksys and ASUS, is this correct?

I have had a Linksys WRT54GC router for over 3 years, but it just stopped working. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

Impersonator on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I use a D-Link DIR-655 and it is hands down the best router I have ever owned.

Linksys routers would give me weak signals when I was inside the house. Try to take it in the backyard and it was really flaky. With the D-Link range and signal strength is just great now.

My experiences with Linksys have been pretty crap.

DekuStick on
    edited April 2010
    So basically the best routers are from Linksys and ASUS, is this correct?

I have had a Linksys WRT54GC router for over 3 years, but it just stopped working. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

Everyone has their pet brand. Quite frankly, the fact that there are at least 3 brands being touted here is good news that the networking industry is teeming with good product (it's about damn time).

I think the biggest reason why people are enjoying the Linksys routers is because of the 3rd party firmware you can install on them. Also, they seem to have increased their reliability since Cisco picked them up.

Mugsley on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can anyone tell me what's the best, recent Linksys router that I can buy? Apparently there are some models of which only versions X or Y can be customized.

Impersonator on
    edited April 2010
    Start with the DD-WRT or Tomato compatibility list and go from there?

Captain Vash on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Start with the DD-WRT or Tomato compatibility list and go from there?

Frankly, the hardware doesn't mean shit as long as you can load good third-party software on there.

Daedalus on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Targo wrote: »

Belkin is kind of a crap shoot.

They make some nice routers, there is no denying that, but they also make the cheapest piece of shit routers you can buy.

I'm employed in a networking tech support call center and I can't even begin to tell you the number of calls I get where a piece of shit belkin from walmart is the problem.

Maybe you can suggest a few models that have had success with you?

I had a belkin for a few months. Fucker wouldn't stop overheating. What the fuck is a router doing that's so damn intensive, it regularly overheats?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I'm actually contemplating upgrading my router to an N here in the near future. I've been running a WRT54GL for a couple years with mostly* no problems. But, as my wife and I spend more of our online time on our laptops, and less on the desktop, the speed difference is becoming noticeable.

*Every 3 or 4 months, it'll just decide to intermittently drop the signal for a day or two. Every 15-30 minutes, it'll just stop broadcasting an SSID for a couple minutes, which brings the primarily mentioned laptop browsing to a dead halt, and leads to a lot of swearing and yelling at our electronic devices. Then, just as suddenly as the problems began, and without any clue on what was done to fix it, it'll magically start working flawlessly again.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2010
    As I said before,

Nice Belkins are nice.
    Cheap Belkins are cheap.

Poor designing and poor voltage control and cheap ass chinese capacitors will make any electronic component overheat under even minimal load.

Cisco is the company behind Linksys, and they've built some of biggest fucking routers that support the internet as an entity. Check out the newest Linksys or Cisco router that has all the hardware features you need/want and then install a third party firmware on it.

Captain Vash on
    edited April 2010
    Alright, what's the status of N then? I know the next shiny thing is always just around the corner, but are there any rumblings on when we can expect Q or whatever it ends up being labeled?

I'd hate to drop $100-150 for a router with the intention of it lasting me the half-decade, and have the next system come out six months later.

Edit: I see it's already been approved, and will be 802.11y, but can't find anything about when consumer devices will hit the market.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DIR-655. It Just Works.

Azio on
    edited April 2010
    Alright, what's the status of N then? I know the next shiny thing is always just around the corner, but are there any rumblings on when we can expect Q or whatever it ends up being labeled?

I'd hate to drop $100-150 for a router with the intention of it lasting me the half-decade, and have the next system come out six months later.

Edit: I see it's already been approved, and will be 802.11y, but can't find anything about when consumer devices will hit the market.

According to wikipedia, N is still a draft, so it's not finalized. So I doubt you'll have to worry too much about some new standard coming out soon.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    the 802.11n protocol was finalized several months ago.

Captain Vash on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/802.11n-wireless-router-access-point,2605-11.html

Chock full of test numbers, bottom line for N is they like the Linksys/Cisco E3000. Not sure if you want that much router though.

tachyon on
    edited April 2010
    Welp, that was the whole point of DD-WRT for me was getting the performance and features of a $200 router on a $50 one.

I really hate being a broken record like this, insisting on DD-WRT post after post. But it IS that good.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    How difficult is working custom firmware for someone with zero experience? I presume the GUI is easy and intuitive to navigate?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Actually, the UI is about a billion times better, easier and a lot more consistent.
    The tabs and categories actually make sense, there is a TON more information, both about the current state of your device and how to configure it.

It also gives you many more useful options.

it's a win/win scenario, really. Better performance and better control.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    I'll probably do that with my WRT54GL while I save up for the new N router.

Edit: Which would be better for that particular router; Tomato or DD-WRT?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2010
    That I wouldn't know, my router only accepted DD-WRT. People usually say Tomato is better though.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    DD-WRT has alot more options, but most people aren't going to get a whole lot of use out of them.

Tomato is really easy to use, much easier than DD-WRT, and still provides more options than default firmware.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've used both dd-wrt and tomato and they are both easy enough to install and use. Check into both of them and make sure you'll be able to do what you want and just pick one. Worst case scenario is you don't like it and have to flash to the other to try it out.

I personally prefer tomato at the present for bandwidth monitoring with the amount of streaming and downloading that goes on between the five of us here.

Roland_tHTG on
    edited April 2010

Having not yet done the due diligence, I can't see Y being anything more than a bandwidth/cap increase. However, I'm likely wrong.

I've never had a need for anything faster than G, and I've raided in WoW using a G connection, among other things. I can't foresee most people needing anything faster than an N connection for at least a few years.

Everyone's stance on value is different, but if you are able to get at least a year out an N router, I would say you at least got your money's worth.

Mugsley on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »

Having not yet done the due diligence, I can't see Y being anything more than a bandwidth/cap increase. However, I'm likely wrong.

I've never had a need for anything faster than G, and I've raided in WoW using a G connection, among other things. I can't foresee most people needing anything faster than an N connection for at least a few years.

Everyone's stance on value is different, but if you are able to get at least a year out an N router, I would say you at least got your money's worth.

You've obviously never tried to stream HD vids to an area of the house where you could not (or very difficult) install CAT6. :lol:

*Edit* Not from online, I mean from a media server

tachyon on