As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Sylvari:
    "The Bloomin' Onions".
    "Cactus Crew".
    "We Got Wood".

My necromancer's name in GW1 was Darmak Morningwood. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All ____ race guilds seem pretty odd, even on WoW RP servers. Then there's the GW lore which specifically establishes Guilds as multi-racial groups, as opposed to the nations of Tyria.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Demonic warrior cats are fine with me

pic-11495.jpg

Lookit' that fucking cannon

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I can't wait for this. I think this will be a day one purchase, and I will go out of my way to find people to play the game with this time around. With GW1, I almost exclusively soloed it, because it was so hard to find people at the same point of the story as you were, but man was it an awesome game.

Hell I might have to go an reinstall it just having read through this thread.

The purpose of this thread will eventually be to get people interested in doing stuff together in GW2 beta and later in release, to get coordinated, start a guild, etc. I look forward to rolling with you guys as we take our first steps in GW2.

Also, new unveilings in the next few weeks? Awesome!

This time around I'm not waiting for a few weeks to see the reviews, or simply lurking the thread like I have in so many games before. I'm determined this time to actually play this game in Multiplayer, at least a bit. I only did any multiplayer in GW1 like once or twice, and I got like 3 or 4 characters really far.

I don't think I ever officially finished any of the campaigns all the way to the end though. I seem to remember I got to a certain point in one of the campaigns where I had to win a Multiplayer match or something to get some sort of orb? I'm probably misremembering that. But I wasn't using any ideal min-max pvp builds, I was just rolling with whatever weapon I thought looked cool and soloing with that. So I got rolled in a few pvp matches and then gave up.

Dissociater on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I might just go with the Asura. I have a thing for Golems.

2wmph6f.jpg

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry I couldn't hear you all over the giant vikings that turn into bears

Transporter on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry I couldn't hear you all over the giant vikings that turn into bears

I I like shapeshifters in games and usually play them when given the option.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited April 2010
    I really like the concept art for this game so I am just going to randomly post some of it every now and then
    norn.jpg

I think this is one of the viking shapeshifters, right?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I really like the concept art for this game so I am just going to randomly post some of it every now and then
    norn.jpg

I think this is one of the viking shapeshifters, right?

Correct, that's a Norn.

Seidkona on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Is there a beta sign-up for this?

No, they haven't done beta sign-ups yet.

Also, mildly interesting interview here: http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/04/20/interview-with-arenanets-chris-lye/

But MOST IMPORTANTLY:
    "The other part of this is that we’re all perfectionists at ArenaNet. We don’t want to release or talk about something until it’s “just right” – this is the standard we hold ourselves to, and we believe our fans do as well. Fortunately, in the next few weeks I think you’ll see a nice ramp-up of information about Guild Wars 2."

"Seriously, we will be lifting the veil soon enough and working very closely with the players on this marketing campaign. It’ll be worth the wait!"

I saw that they were doing some marketing thing where you can change your facebook picture to some Guild Wars related stuff.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The new races all look pretty awesome. I think it's pretty safe to say I likely won't be playing a human.

The big thing that I'm wondering though, is how the new races will all work on the same side. Is there going to be another big-bad to unite them all? Or will they be working against eachother with unique stories and missions? And if that's the case, will you still be able to guild with people not within the same race?

Dissociater on
    edited April 2010
    The new races all look pretty awesome. I think it's pretty safe to say I likely won't be playing a human.

The big thing that I'm wondering though, is how the new races will all work on the same side. Is there going to be another big-bad to unite them all? Or will they be working against eachother with unique stories and missions? And if that's the case, will you still be able to guild with people not within the same race?

If the big Dragon isn't stopped it will destroy the world or something.

Seidkona on
    edited April 2010

The info so far is that when you start out you have a little race-based storyline which soon joins up with the common storyline, that is.. to stop the world-ending force-of-nature Dragons, beginning with Zaitan, who woke up and lifted an entire city from the bottom of the ocean (see trailer).

Guilds by lore and game mechanic, are not race-based. Lion's Arch in GW2 is a sort of lawless port-city where all the races mix.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lion's Arch in GW2 is a sort of lawless port-city where all the races mix.
    :winky:

Personally, I'm really hoping they bring Dervishes back. That was my favourite class from Guild Wars. Twirly little ballerina with a humongous scythe, fun.

Have they talked about classes yet?

reVerse on
    edited April 2010
    What is this "World vs World" thing? It sounds interesting

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Lion's Arch in GW2 is a sort of lawless port-city where all the races mix.
    :winky:

Personally, I'm really hoping they bring Dervishes back. That was my favourite class from Guild Wars. Twirly little ballerina with a humongous scythe, fun.

Have they talked about classes yet?

The classes and skills are what they've been the most tight lipped about. In the end no matter how much I like the Norn style the classes themselves will determine which race I pick as they did say that some classes will be race specific.

Seidkona on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thought you guys might want the link to the artist's* website:
    http://www.kekaiart.com/

*(He didn't do the Asura/Golem piece)

Wassermelone on
    edited April 2010
    Neli wrote: »

Edit2: Even better link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

Also, I thought that classes were not going to be race-specific?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I loved my Mesmer, even though I didn't get far with him (during the nightfall mission with the fort that bombarded you, I had finished all the objectives and was just running toward the end point. All of a sudden, I get system lag, run a little too close to the fort, and bam, failed the mission. Didn't feel like running it again). Sure, he wasn't great at taking down large groups of people, but he was perfect for fucking up bosses solo while the rest of my team killed the mobs.

Peccavi on
    edited April 2010
    The more I read about the game, the more it sounds like a definitive purchase. World vs World sounds great for a game like this

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited April 2010

Edit2: Even better link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

Also, I thought that classes were not going to be race-specific?

I could be wrong, that was old information. It could well have changed. We'll know soon I hope.

Seidkona on
    edited April 2010
    The more I read about the game, the more it sounds like a definitive purchase. World vs World sounds great for a game like this

Considering that there's no sub, it's almost a no-brainer.

Peccavi on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    800px-Formidable_concept_art.jpg

Apparently, according to the Wiki's GW2 news, this shrouded concept art picture has something to do with the upcoming GW2 info they will be releasing soon.

My guess is they will be doing classes and maybe gameplay info reveals. Which is excellent.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, eight figures, including a Charr and 2 Norn. Two of em have some kind of weapon or something, so perhaps this is the profession reveals. Eight would sound about right.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    That's a nice wallpaper image.

Also, I hate the Asura so much. So much. I'll be going for those guys first in every PvP situation.

Asura. Racial ability: Auto-taunt.

reVerse on
    edited April 2010
    aww, but they are so adorable

[edit] Any idea why they are called the Asura? The name stands for a fair number of things I wouldn't associate with the race in GW2. Or is it a pun that Asura can be translated as "Giants" when in fact they are tiny little adorable cuddly things

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some guild war wiki says they are named after low ranking deities in Buddhism and a few other things. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Asura

My guess is that given their self importance, there is probalby a time where their foreign affairs is composed purely out of their larger golems.

ZombieSheep on
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, eight figures, including a Charr and 2 Norn. Two of em have some kind of weapon or something, so perhaps this is the profession reveals. Eight would sound about right.

That'd be my guess too. It's the group that they'll use on the box art and in the trailers, one of each profession.

Peccavi on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Also, I hate the Asura so much. So much. I'll be going for those guys first in every PvP situation.

I <3 golems and magi-tech motifs

I hate the asura themselves though (it's like gnomes all over again)

Also, why would anyone roll human with norn present? I seriously think that's a bit of a bad design decision - they're kind of similar. Humans better have something off-the-chain badass exclusive to them or they'll be the lowest-rolled race for sure

Still, no one cares in light of the might of the Charr. I'm especially pleased that they're taking the charr in a fire-and-chains direction with their materials. So awesome.

Kazaka on
    edited April 2010
    Wonder why there's only one Charr and Sylvari in that picture but two of everything else? Well, Charr is easy, they're not terribly media sexy, but you'd think elves would be more marketable than weird dog-like little people.

reVerse on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wonder why there's only one Charr and Sylvari in that picture but two of everything else? Well, Charr is easy, they're not terribly media sexy, but you'd think elves would be more marketable than weird dog-like little people.

Maybe it's supposed to reflect their cannon numbers? Are there less Charr and Sylvari compared to other races?

Kazaka on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    anyone buy the art book?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited April 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

I <3 golems and magi-tech motifs

I hate the asura themselves though (it's like gnomes all over again)

Also, why would anyone roll human with norn present? I seriously think that's a bit of a bad design decision - they're kind of similar. Humans better have something off-the-chain badass exclusive to them or they'll be the lowest-rolled race for sure

Still, no one cares in light of the might of the Charr. I'm especially pleased that they're taking the charr in a fire-and-chains direction with their materials. So awesome.
    Yeah I have to admit I can't wait to roll a Charr. Most likely will be my "main" character initially.

Personally I will probably roll a Human, Sylvari and possibly Asura before I go Norn (of course, this is without proper knowledge of racial storylines and racial abilities).

I imagine we can expect at least 5 professions, which means a lot of people will choose different races for their alts.
    Kazaka wrote: »

Maybe it's supposed to reflect their cannon numbers? Are there less Charr and Sylvari compared to other races?

For advertising, they might pick races which most fit the "style" of each profession, even if professions are not race-restricted.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    anyone buy the art book?

Yeah, bought it awhile back and it's pretty awesome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    anyone buy the art book?

picked it up free at pax (neener neener neener) it is rad.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited April 2010
    anyone buy the art book?

Is it the same art as in the 4 videos in the op? Because there's a lot of art in those already :o

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    and some commentary. some lore

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited April 2010
    I sunk 100's of hours into GW1. I hope they have something like the Paragon again only this time not all messed up.

Writing this I just came up with a new build for my Paragon.

Seidkona on
    edited April 2010
    anyone buy the art book?

Those guys deserve more of my money so I don't mind. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't wait.

No really, I cannot wait. These guys are racing WoW:Cataclysm for my time and attention... I really hope GW2 wins. WoW is cancelled for now, and I would be ok with never going back if there is something else for me to play by the time the Cata Xpac comes out.

My WoW main was a druid, so I looked at cat and bear ass for 4 years, I don't think I will be starting with another shapeshifter. If the human females are all suitably endowed and scantily dressed, I know what I wanna be!

Floowid on
This discussion has been closed.