As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter IV is super, you should buy it and come play. Yes you.

RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Social Entropy++
SuperSF4.jpg

What is Street Fighter? You're kidding right?

It's arguably the most popular and recognizable fighting game brand ever made.

This is the wiki list of all the characters

How do I play this game? If you haven't bought it yet, maybe wait a few weeks and grab Super Street Fighter IV when it hits on April 27th-30th. Once you have it, hop right in. OR check these links out, most of it probably won't mean shit to you yet but in time, you may want the info.

Here's an excellent summary of common terms and strategies you'll run into eventually. Credit goes to Rolo for compiling them so nicely.

Zoning - a somewhat mental game, that involves getting your opponent into the right area so that your character is at an effective range for most of your moves, while leaving you with enough distance and reaction time that you're safe from most of their attacks.

Canceling - Cutting off the typical recovery time of a normal attack by initiating another move

Chaining - A chain lets you cancel a normal move with another normal move (like a jab into another jab), so you can throw jabs in quick sucession. However you cannot cancel a chained jab into a special move, like a fireball. People will often use the notation "XX" to signify chaining: cr.lp xx hadouken.

Linking- When you hit an opponent, they have a few frames (1 frame = 1/60th of a second) where they're stunned or recoiling. If your attack finishes before their recovery ends, you'll have "frame advantage". This gives you time to link in another attack before they can fully recover.

Shortcuts - Input shortcuts make it easier to do certain motions. Rather than having to do the full SRK (dp.gif motion, you can get away with just hitting downright.gifdownright.gif. There are some other useful ones for doing supers/ultras and 360s. Input shortcuts actually get a lot more complicated than this, but for most purposes this is good enough.

FADC - Focus Attack Dash Cancel. You cancel a lot of special moves by hitting MP + MK in the middle of your special move (try it with Ryu's EX Shoryuken), which will cause Ryu to burn two levels of EX meter and go into his focus attack.

The neat thing is that you can immediately cancel the focus attack by dashing! This means as soon as you hit MP+MK to stop the special move, you also input a :arrow::arrow: to cancel the focus attack. This makes the recovery time dramatically shorter, and lets you do fancy things like throw a shoryuken, FADC, and then hit your opponent with your Ultra Combo while they're still in the air.

Hyper Armor/Armor Breaking - In most cases hitting someone while they're in the middle of doing a special or normal move will interrupt and stop that move from coming out. However some moves get armor properties that allow them to absorb a single attack, rendering the attacking character effectively invulnerable for one hit. The most common of these is the Focus Attack, which every character has.

However there are certain moves that are "armor breaking", and will ignore the invulnerability property when countering an armored opponent. When you use an armor breaking move you'll hear a glass shattering sound, and your opponent will take extra damage.

Block Strings - a true block string is a series of chained or linked attacks that come out quickly enough that your opponent can only block, trying to do anything else like an attack, dashing or a focus attack will end up with them getting hit while in the start-up frames of their next action (try Balrog/Boxer's crouching jab).

Plinking - When you have to have pretty silly fast fingers in order to link one move to another so your opponent is unable to block (we're talking 1-2 frames) you'll almost simultaneously press 2 buttons in order to help you make the timing window.

Counters- Counter hits occur when your move hits during the start-up frames of an opponent's attack. The first hit of a counter attack will deal 25% more damage and 25% more stun than normal (mind you if a single attack hits three times, like an ex shoryuken, only the first hit of that attack will deal extra damage).

Throw tech - when someone tries to throw you, hitting backwards and LP + LK will counter or "tech" the enemy throw, stopping it from happen. Note that this only happens with normal throws, and 'command throws' (like Zangief's Spinning Pile Driver) can't be countered this way.

Wakeup - Refers to when your character has been knocked down. If you hit down.gif while your character has been knocked down, you'll perform a quick wake-up, which will make you stand back up faster (also called a tech-ing). Being able to get your character back up on his feet safely after being knocked down is a big part of SFIV.

Meaty- Performing an attack as your opponent is waking up or recovering, so they won't have enough time to start-up their own move and perform a reversal or counter, instead they'll be forced to either take the hit or block. Meaty attacks typically have a lot of active attack frames, and the trick is to time it so just the tail end of those frames hit as soon as the opponent recovers.

Damage scaling
- damage scaling occurs when you get a multi-hit combo, and stops people being able to kill you with a single combo or infinite loop (like El Fuerte's RSF). The more hits you do in any combo, the less damage they do, until eventually hits that should be doing 100+ damage will be scaled down to just 1 damage each. You can reset damage scaling by simply ending the combo and allowing your opponent to have control over their character for a frame. The first two hits of a combo will do 100% damage, the third will be scaled down to 80%, and you'll lose 10% for every hit after that. An ultra or focus attack automatically counts as two attacks in terms of damage scaling.

Damage scaling also happens automatically as fighters lose health. A fighter at 50% health take 95% damage, at 25% health he'll take 90% damage, and at 15% health he'll only take 75% damage.

Empty jumps- Typically when you jump in and attack an opponent in the air, when you land on the ground you have to sit through a few frames of recovery before you can put in any kind of input. however if you jump without attacking (an empty jump), you can input a command as soon as you touch the ground, or you can buffer in an option select (see below).

Option Selects - this dude explains better than I ever could
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHoGHcgK9k

Kara-ing - Using the forward movement of another normal move, then canceling that move into a special move, normal or throw. The most famous of these are Ken's Kara throws, which allow him to throw from a much longer distance than he'd normally be able to. However you can Kara a lot of moves, like Sagat's f.lk into Tiger Knee, so it can cover a lot more distance.

Frame Data - Frame data explains the basic properties of every move in Street Fighter. It lists (in frames, 1 frame = 1/60th of a second) how long it takes for a move to start-up, the active frames (how long it will hit and damage an opponent for), recovery (how long it takes for a move to finish and let you input another move), frame advantage on block (how many frames faster or slower you'll recover from your move compared to a blocking opponent), and frame advantage on hit.

It will also list properties like damage, stun, invulnerability frames, and whether you can cancel or chain the move.

Playing the game by frame data is good to figure out why a specific move or strategy isn't working (why is Ryu always able to shoryuken me when I try to rush-punch him?), but you don't really need to get to into it if you just want to have fun playing. Advanced players (and nerds like me) like to argue about this stuff, but for most people you can do well with practically any character and this stuff won't make a huge difference.

You can find more about character's frame data here: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/may/10/frame-data-super-street-fighter-4/
You can also get a longer list of glossary terms here: http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Glossary

Speaking of info, here's a brief summary of the new stuff added into SSFIV.
Super Street Fighter IV adds ten characters to the original character roster from Street Fighter IV, featuring eight characters from previous Street Fighter games, as well as two fighters who are brand new to the series.

Among the added characters are T. Hawk and Dee Jay, who were initially intended to be in the original Street Fighter IV but later dropped. Also, Adon from the original Street Fighter, and Cody and Guy from Final Fight will be available, all whom were last featured in Street Fighter Alpha 3. Additionally, Dudley, Ibuki and Makoto return from the Street Fighter III series.

Lastly, the game incorporates two all-new characters to the series. The first, Juri, is a young South Korean female Taekwondo fighter who works for Seth's organization, S.I.N. Juri has an energy-boosting device implanted inside her left eye called the "Feng Shui Engine", which provides her with time-warping abilities. The second, Hakan, is a Turkish oil wrestler seeking to create the greatest olive oil on earth.

Each of the characters returning from Street Fighter IV will feature an additional alternate costume, totaling three costumes, while newly introduced characters will have two available costumes only.

In Super Street Fighter IV, every character will be given two Ultra Combos (with the exception of Gen who will have four Ultras, two for each of his styles). However, only one Ultra will be available at any given time, since they will be selectable in a way similar to the Super Arts in Street Fighter III.

The game will feature a few additional online modes, including Team Battle with up to 8 players, Replay Channel, which allows players to view and save replays from around the world, and Endless Battle, in which the winner plays against a rotating group of up to 8 players. The game also sees the return of the car and barrels bonus stages from the Street Fighter II series, and rival battles, where a dialogue sequence is played whenever a certain pair of characters face each other. A downloadable Tournament mode will also be featured

A link to the Shoryuken forums 1-800-help-a-nub thread. Excellent info herein.

If you've ever yelled WHY THE DAMN HELL DID THAT JUST HAPPEN RAWR etc during or after a match, check this out.

Finally the player lists stolen shamelessly from Sneak's earlier thread and edited slightly to include Wimble but not his PS3 account because I don't know it.

**EDIT** Also more players now that the game is out. If you want fights, just post in the thread and I'll add you to the listing.

[Xbox 360]

The Sneak! - PA The Sneak
Futore - Debellum
Sars_Boy - Sarsboy
Arete - NinjaFrizz
Knob - KnobbonK
Octopus Medley - dr radicalrobot
RabidDeathMoose - RabidDeathMoose
Babyeatingjesus - H2O on the Moon
humble - I am the Bat
The Plain Girl from the etc etc etc - coeurs
Grath - Grath01
Radius - Kryzak Sul
Futore - Debellum
gazamc - chuwero
Meiz - Meiz1979
Farangu - Farangu

[PlayStation 3]

The Sneak! - TheSneak
Kuribo's Shoe - kuribosshoe
Devlin_Dragonus - devlin_dragonus
Transporter - TransportX
Arete - NinjaFrizz
Knob - KnobbonK
AggroChan - Sillender
Wimble - wimbleberry
cj iwakura - cj_iwakura
ShimSham - ShimmitySham
BugBoy - dhelix23
Butler For Life #1 - dhelix23
SabreMau - Tresjin
WhipstitchZombie - Nemo Woodbine

Also Sneak, you're a tease. Msg me to go a few rounds then you go offline!

RabidDeathMoose on

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holding out for Super Street Fighter IV Turbo: Tournament Edition in 2013.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gotta fight em all

RabidDeathMoose on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Super Street Fighter IV Turbo: Championship Edition Alpha EX plus

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They are bringing back Dee Jay.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been jonesing for this game lately

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just want to say that there is a SSFIV Launch Celebration Tournament at the University on May 1st, RDM.

I just want to say that to you.

No, I also want to say that's it's pretty fucked up that I wasn't just included on that list in the OP. I also want to say that.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You just turned 30, it's time to put away childish things.

Also, blame Sneak, I copied that from his last OP.

Also also, I have been to a fighting game night at the UofM, if I recall you were there with me. It was... well it was something. Remember the OCD guy and his hair? Remember how he would stroke it incessantly while speaking or sitting idle or basically any time he wasn't actively playing? Because I do, lord knows I do.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

creator dude guy has said that this will 100% definitely be the last street fighter IV. Like, if they make a new street fighter it won't be an expansion

I guess he might be a filthy liar, though, but that would be weird I think?

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couldn't just wait a week.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    edited April 2010
    You just turned 30, it's time to put away childish things.

Also, blame Sneak, I copied that from his last OP.

Also also, I have been to a fighting game night at the UofM, if I recall you were there with me. It was... well it was something. Remember the OCD guy and his hair? Remember how he would stroke it incessantly while speaking or sitting idle or basically any time he wasn't actively playing? Because I do, lord knows I do.

I remember all of that... why do you think I want to go so much?

babyeatingjesus on
    edited April 2010
    also we're going. Just accept it.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited April 2010
    Joystiq has a video about the expansive online modes here

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/20/super-street-fighter-iv-online-lobby-system-avatar-items-detail/

it goes into some detail with what the tournament host can do. it's pretty rad.

also it finally tells what people who had the first game can do:
    Players with save data from the previous game can select graphical filters!

huh. not really sure what that means and i'm not watching the video in HD so i can't tell the difference. but alright. at least I don't need the disc!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    can't waaaiiiittttt

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010
    seriously, that setup looks dope. it's nice that they listened to what needed to be changed

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited April 2010
    i should probably sell my copy of SF4 huh

hmmm

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010
    the graphical filters in uncharted 2 were neat. Black and white, gears of war style brown rust and so on

I wonder what it will be here

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited April 2010
    April 27th isn't that far away. You'll be able to do without it and you might be able to still get some change for it. I'm pretty happy I got $12 for mine. especially since I bought it new for like 20 something

Maybe you could try to find if some game stores are doing discount swaps for SSF4.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited April 2010
    http://teamspooky.com/content/?page_id=171 NSFW language and stuff. But this streams been going on for a few days now.

Radius on
    edited April 2010
    Wimble wrote: »

creator dude guy has said that this will 100% definitely be the last street fighter IV. Like, if they make a new street fighter it won't be an expansion

I heard that, but I absolutely do not believe it.

The guy will be sitting around in Japan in his underwear and suddenly he'll dream up a new costume for Dee Jay and then there'll be a Super Street Fighter IV: Dee Jay's Leather Pants.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited April 2010
    I really wouldn't mind it one bit if they released ten new characters each however-long-it's-been

loves me some street fightin' foh

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the filters they add in are anything like the filters they added to the PC version of SF4 that'll be super-neat.

Also I play on Xbox360 and as my sig says I am Perrsun on there as well. What my sig does not say is that 2 days ago my Xbox E74'd, and has been sent out. If it's not back in time for SSF4 I might actually buy one for a few days and return it.

Perrsun on
    edited April 2010
    Perrsun wrote: »
    If the filters they add in are anything like the filters they added to the PC version of SF4 that'll be super-neat.

Also I play on Xbox360 and as my sig says I am Perrsun on there as well. What my sig does not say is that 2 days ago my Xbox E74'd, and has been sent out. If it's not back in time for SSF4 I might actually buy one for a few days and return it.

I did this a while ago at Wal-Mart and when I went to return the system I was told they no longer do returns on xbox 360s after a rash of people bought one failed to mod it and returned it. He let me return mine since the system hadn't been unpacked at all, but that was the last time I attempted that.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited April 2010
    Anybody wanna get a few games in before my Live goes away? HDR or MVC2 are also good options.

Radius on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wimble wrote: »

Yeah just like that one guy said he would cut off his own head if RE4 ever got ported from the gamecube.

Bedlam on
    edited April 2010
    that was my uncle. he is now headless and you are insensitive

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Perrsun wrote: »

If you only need it for a few days it would be easier to see if your local video store rents consoles. I dont know if any do anymore but they hella used to back in the day.

Bedlam on
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So would I get anything if i trade in my SF4 for SSF4?

<3 on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So would I get anything if i trade in my SF4 for SSF4?

Very little.

Checked today and it was 26 bucks used with an unknown discount.

So basically you would be giving them a game for free.

Or like 5 bucks.

Maybe 10.

Transporter on
    edited April 2010
    welp, fuck

might as well get what i can for it i guess

Sars_Boy on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also I have pre-bought the game for PS3 and the douche at gamestop was all "YEP GOT EM IN THE BACK THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL"

He also said to buy it early I needed 6 souls.

I got 5 but that sixth one was a pain so I quit.

Transporter on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/unity-events

Should be a live stream of SSFIV starting at 8PM PST/ 11 PM EST.

Daigo vs Justin Wong match

Brolo on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shit yes, three more days!

Also, Moose, I turn thirty in a few months. Fuck if I care!

The Sneak! on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll be on the PS3 version when it hits.

PSN: cj_iwakura

Until then, I just have the PC version of SF4 proper, and BlazBlue on PS3 if you don't mind some ice car action.

And that stream is buggy as hell.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2010
    it's fucking six days until I get it. Boo!

oh hey neat another ps3 guy. I hope we can fight in some streets, cj

stream is fine for me by the way

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yay for needless PS3 system updates. So much crap I'll never use.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So our table saw broke down. Dunno if the 360 joystick'll be done by Tuesday.

Should still be able to play it on PS3 on release day, at least. (PSN Tresjin, XBL SabreMau)

SabreMau on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    somebody buy me this

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2010
    what the hell? you can't afford it?

someone buy shoe this!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Who wants to fight me in the streets right now?

Get this shit in the OP HellaJeff-Xbox360 Tag: ESPorygon

I(I am not super good, but I am super enthusiastic!)

HellaJeff on
    edited April 2010
    t hawks ultra damage haha

oh man

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.