As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate 3: witty title under construction

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Except it has the same limitation as skate 2.. the background only goes from truck to truck. It doesn't extend to the ends of the board, which looks seriously fucking dumb.

I hope it's better in game, otherwise the whole graphics creation system is worthless shit.

metroid_black.jpg

xzzy on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gaaaaahhh they are dumb.

Although it does look slightly better that way.

UEAKCrash on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well in skate 2 you could pick different board underside colors, so you could have a black board with the rest of that...

DarkPrimus on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nocren v2 is my GT if you guys are going to invite me to play a session.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Well in skate 2 you could pick different board underside colors, so you could have a black board with the rest of that...

That's still pretty limiting. Most pro boards have graphics that extend to both tips. Plus, with the other limitations in the program, it's still mainly a waste of time. It's probably why in all the demo videos they always used a really simple logo.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The creator is still pretty bad, and I'll still probably waste way too much time with it.

Edit: It should also be noted that when you preview things they tell you that you will be able to put them wherever you want on the board and that it won't really look like the preview. Whether you can stretch things to cover the whole board or not remains to be seen, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Trevor on
    edited April 2010
    Wow... cross promotion. They got various Dragon Age logos and Cerberus as well.

EDIT: So tooling around, I made a design I had since I was in high school and something for Dongtown.
    I'll admit that the Dongtown design works better as a shirt/hat logo than for a deck.
    They're suppose to be rough approximations of Tycho and Gabe.

s3designs.jpg

I made the D-Town logo as a single sharable asset so anyone can feel free to use it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    So how does one join?

I take it, "not yet"?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah, it seems kinda broke. yeah I found your id nocren but "an invitation could not be sent" :,(

japh on
    edited April 2010
    Just for fun I tried to make a Dongtown logo as well. Trying to get text to look like anything other than generic is still the hardest part of the creator. The font choices suck and there's no options for bolding or italic or anything that would make it easy to make fake drop-shadows or outlines.

Trevor on
    edited April 2010
    There might not be italics, but you can alter text now like any other piece of art (sliding, expanding/shrinking, spinning). Plus you can add more than one piece of text (as you now doubt know).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah, you can definitely mess with something until it looks almost right. Only problem is that it takes about five minutes to get it to almost look right and it will never look perfect. Bold or italics would be instant drop shadows if you just made a stamp of the words and could manipulate it.

Trevor on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dang, playing the demo again, just did a kickass like...board grab, but with a 360 degree front flip. I crashed, and I can't remember what I did to do it the first time.

edit: Did it again, can't stick landing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So do any of you get occasional black screens in gameplay or is it just because I'm playing the demo off of a disc?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Amazon finally added a $10 gaming credit for Skate 3. So it's now $56.99 + $10 off your next game purchase.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Preordered today! A couple more dAys! Its the final countdown! U better be ready for some online play!

japh on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I, too, am eagerly awaiting my pre-order. Got Alan Wake coming too, but I'll be waiting until the weekend to play that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Where do you live that Skate 3 and Alan Wake are coming out the same week?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited May 2010
    The UK.

Peasant!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2010
    I don't envy you really...

I've already gotta rocket through Skate so I can get it done before RDR and Alan Wake. To start off with two of those games right off the bat would put me in a nerve wracking slump, always staring at the other game cases out of the corner of my eye.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skate isn't really plot heavy, and Alan Wake is supposed to be a short, tight package a la Uncharted. You should be fine.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I've already had to delay my intended buy of RDR since 3 new games at once would be stupid, but I think I can swap okay between skate and AW since they're vastly different.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    skate's a nice background game to muck about on, like SF, but not as addictive :)

Snare on
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I'm going to be giving this a shot. Does anyone know whether or not they got rid of those impossible SKATE (S.K.A.T.E.? Skate it? whatever) challenges from 1 and especially 2?

liquidlogan on
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. I plan on picking up this, AW and RDR and can't decide if I should grab Skate first or wait until I've finished the other two. I know I can play Skate for ages, while the other two might not last as long.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited May 2010
    I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. I plan on picking up this, AW and RDR and can't decide if I should grab Skate first or wait until I've finished the other two. I know I can play Skate for ages, while the other two might not last as long.

All the more reason to pick up Skate and use it as just a pick up and play title until the other two stories are completed.

liquidlogan on
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

All the more reason to pick up Skate and use it as just a pick up and play title until the other two stories are completed.

I know, but I already have MH Tri to go through which I've barely scratched the surface of. Oh, does anyone know yet if they're going to make us pay for the advanced camera stuff again this go-round?

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I'm going to be giving this a shot. Does anyone know whether or not they got rid of those impossible SKATE (S.K.A.T.E.? Skate it? whatever) challenges from 1 and especially 2?

Do you mean the challenges where you do a trick, then the other skater does a trick and you get a letter if you fail? Those aren't impossible, actually. But it does require a little bit of effort to finesse a victory.

And I doubt they were removed from skate 3.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well they'd better make it so you don't have to exploit the 720 glitch to win, because as is it's "take 30 minutes to do and if you bail and they set the trick you're fucked".

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2010
    I agree, it was my least favourite part of the game. It was really easy to glitch with the bikerack, though.

Oddly enough, I did enjoy schooling people online in it.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Well they'd better make it so you don't have to exploit the 720 glitch to win, because as is it's "take 30 minutes to do and if you bail and they set the trick you're fucked".

Even though I nominally agree, right now, it's the only thing that evens the playing field. One uncorrectable over-rotation or a minor flaw in a flick and you can see what could've been a victory slowly drain away as the AI suddenly decides it's not going to bail any more tricks. S.K.A.T.E. is already tedious enough. (Can we not need to run through 30 pros to 'win' it all next time? Thanks...)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    I agree, it was my least favourite part of the game. It was really easy to glitch with the bikerack, though.

Oddly enough, I did enjoy schooling people online in it.

It used to basically battle of who could land a sufficiently complex trick to fuck the other person over.

Whichever one of the competitors was first to land, say, a 360-nollie-hardflip, could effectively relax unless they bailed.

Kazaka on
    edited May 2010
    Yes, that shit. I did the bikerack glitch too to get past it but hot damn it was annoying.

See, by nature those are always going to work better in Tony Hawk games despite how shitty they've become and have been for a long time. The analog sticks, especially the PS3 one which is what I used, simply doesn't have enough accuracy to make it anything more than a clusterfuck.

liquidlogan on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The analog nubs are really accurate, your thumbs are just fuzzy.
    The whole idea of S.k.a.t.e is skill & accuracy contest, which is fun enough when you play against humans, but fail, when you have to fight against aim-bot 30 minutes, just to make them to give you lead.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited May 2010
    I do hope that in S.K.A.T.E. sessions this time they add the display that the tutorial has that shows the path the thumbstick took.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited May 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    I do hope that in S.K.A.T.E. sessions this time they add the display that the tutorial has that shows the path the thumbstick took.

It's an option you can turn on at any time in the game options, so yes it will be available.

xzzy on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i want this game so hard

Al_wat on
    edited May 2010
    I got my shipment confirmation from EA.. could have it Monday if the delivery trucks are kind.

xzzy on
    edited May 2010
    I did not know that! I thought I checked out everything in the demo's option menu, too.

Guess that's what I get for feeling a little smug knowing about the different camera angles being in the earlier games once I read that other people were just now noticing them.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited May 2010
    My brother just messaged me that he saw a guy shelving PS3 versions of this downtown. Shit just got real.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]