As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NFL [FOOTBALL] - It BEGINS!!

clownfoodclownfood packet pusherin the wallsRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is it...Let the retooling of your favorite NFL team begin. The time we sit in front of the TV or by the radio or glued to your closest internet capable device and play backseat GM.

Spew your venom, sing the praises of the moves made by the NFL front offices right here in this thread.
2010-nfl-draft-logo.jpg

Round One Under the cut
1. St. Louis (1-15) Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
bradford.jpeg
2. Detroit (2-14) Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
ndamukong-suh-nebraska-1540641cdbc66387_large.jpg
3. Tampa Bay (3-13) Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
dm_090107_ncf_oklahoma_mccoy.jpg
4. Washington (4-12) Trent Williams T Oklahoma
Trent-Williams.jpg
5. Kansas City (4-12) Eric Berry S Tennessee
eric-berry-serious.jpg
6. Seattle (5-11) Russell Okung T Oklahoma State
475902.jpg
7. Cleveland (5-11) Joe Haden CB Florida
joe-haden-499x376.jpg
8. Oakland (5-11) Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
dm_091107_cgd_rolando_mcclain.jpg
9. Buffalo (6-10) C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
spiller_sideline_gt_main.jpg
10. Jacksonville (7-9) Tyson Alualu DT California
pl_121.jpg
11. San Francisco (From Bears through Broncos) Anthony Davis T Rutgers
large_davis09.JPG
12. San Diego (7-9) (From Dolphins) Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State
mathews-fresno.jpg
13. Philly (From 49ers through Broncos) Brandon Graham DE Michigan
BRANDON-GRAHAM-2-111209-thumb-330x386-15667.jpg
14. Seattle (From Broncos) Earl Thomas S Texas
4067033223_f594f2a48f.jpg
15. New York Giants (8-8) Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
720488.jpg
16. Tennessee (8-8) Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
derrick-morgan.jpg
17. San Francisco (From Panthers) Mike Iupati G Idaho
535727.jpg
18. Pittsburgh (9-7) Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
610x1.jpg
19. Atlanta (9-7) Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri
Spoon.jpg
20. Houston (9-7) Kareem Jackson CB Alabama
kareem-bcs-mpr-alcomjpg-24f5ee67a9d445cc_medium.jpg
21. Cincinnati (10-6) Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
ncf_a_gresham_inline_300_medium.jpg
22. Denver (From Patriots) Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
slideshow_1437565_1.jpg
23. Green Bay (11-5) Bryan Bulaga T Iowa
bulaga.jpg
24. Dallas (From Eagles through Broncos and Patriots) Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
dez-bryant.jpg
25. Denver (From Ravens) Tim Tebow QB Florida
tim-tebow-pictures-17.jpg
26. Arizona (10-6) Dan Williams DT Tennessee
421342.jpg
27. New England (From Dallas) Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
amd_mccourty.jpg
28. Miami (From San Diego) Jared Odrick DT Penn State
-cb8be039713bcf7c_medium.jpg
29. New York Jets (9-7) Kyle Wilson CB Boise State
YVSQDFPRPSKOXMY.20090601151425.jpg
30. Detroit (From Minnesota) Jahvid Best RB California
jahvidBest.jpg
31. Indianapolis (14-2) Jerry Hughes OLB TCU
dm_091114_cgd_jerry_hughes.jpg
32. New Orleans (13-3) Patrick Robinson CB Florida State
FSU.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

In case you need to find out which PA fantasy football league you are slated to participate in, check spoiler below.
Alright, so this was a bit complicated, but actually ended up working quite well!

First of all, you can find the google doc with all the info I used here:

D&D Fantasy Football 2010 - Interested Parties

It's divided into three sheets: Veterans, Newbies, and Recommended. Veterans and Newbies are self-explanatory, Recommended is what I'm recommending the rosters for each league be.

Okay, so first of all, we had 2 teams missing from Fear and Loathing (Elki didn't give his information, but I'm assuming he's interested and that he's Black September, which is probably racist of me), namely the Fighting Spaniels and the Dancing Dongeroos. This meant that clownfood, with the worst record in Fear and Loathing (sorry buddy), is the only one to drop down to RWNS. Frosteey, Junior Yank, and Simon Moon, with the best records in RWNS, move up to F&L, leaving us with the following F&L roster:
BubbaT
FirstComradeStalin
Eat It. Eat it, You Nasty Pig.
Picardathon
dlinfiniti
gundam470
Elki
Frosteey
Junior Yank
Simon Moon

We had four teams missing from RWNS (PA 2006 Champs, Butterless, Soul Crushers, Hooligans), plus 3 teams moving up to Fear and Loathing, but clownfood moved to RWNS, leaving us with 6 openings. So I went through the new people, and 4 of them had either played in another league (SE++ or the homer league) or were in a league in previous years. I went ahead and put them in RWNS, bringing us to 10. Thus, my recommendation for RWNS is:
visiblehowl
joemunkeh
fortis
ZeroCow
Peen
clownfood
Aridhol
Cauld
jkylefulton
Draeven

That left us with 12 new teams, which is perfect! So I put them in a new league:
Tiger burning
lordswing
sportzboytjw
histronic
HooverFan
mrt144
Element Brian
Peccavi
Qonas
Vesty
precisionk
chaosbear

So, we have 3 draft leagues, with a total of 32 people. Crazy!

Only 8 people expressed specific interest in the auction league. I'd like to get to 10 or 12 teams because 8-team leagues suck, so the next 2 or 4 people who express interest in the auction league should get in. Priority will go to people who have already posted their info, but said "No Preference". The following people are already in the auction league:
FirstComradeStalin
visiblehowl
joemunkeh
lordswing
mrt144
Qonas
Aridhol
ANTVGM64

If you have any serious issues with what I've recommended, let me know! I'm hardly the Arbiter of All Thing Fantasy Football. Also tell me if there is any information in the google doc that is incorrect.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
clownfood on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm curious to see how the Colts do their drafting this year. Irsay got on the o-line after the SB loss, but then said that he didn't mean that they wanted to retool the line and draft for it.

I bet they still draft for the o-line first though. NFL.com has one of their guys expecting them to take Kareem Jackson, who I like. Another has them taking Mike Iupati, but I dunno about him. He's got great size. Meh.

I'd love to see them take Golden Tate if he's around, but thats only because I'm an ND whore; I dont really think the Colts need much wide-out help at the moment.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GO TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS ! DRAFT GERALD MCCOY !

Edit
    I'm curious to see how the Colts do their drafting this year. Irsay got on the o-line after the SB loss, but then said that he didn't mean that they wanted to retool the line and draft for it.

I bet they still draft for the o-line first though. NFL.com has one of their guys expecting them to take Kareem Jackson, who I like. Another has them taking Mike Iupati, but I dunno about him. He's got great size. Meh.

I'd love to see them take Golden Tate if he's around, but thats only because I'm an ND whore; I dont really think the Colts need much wide-out help at the moment.

Im hoping Tate drops to us in the second , they better not take them .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like Golden Tate. If the Vikings needed another receiver, he'd be one of the guys I'd want the Vikings to take at 30.

Wet Bandit on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there a way to watch this on the internet?

Shawnasee on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shawnasee wrote: »

The actual picks will be everywhere, and there will likely be media from nfl.com but I doubt it is legally streamed anywhere.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited April 2010
    You shouldn't really "watch" the NFL draft anyway. Watch the NHL playoffs instead.

Argue about the picks in here, it'll be more interesting than Mayock or Kiper or McShay arguing about things.

enlightenedbum on
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

The actual picks will be everywhere, and there will likely be media from nfl.com but I doubt it is legally streamed anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/live/landing

Doesn't get much more legal than that.

Wifflebat on
    edited April 2010
    I seriously can't remember the last time Lions fans were this excited about anything. Even Millen getting fired.

enlightenedbum on
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Millen getting fired allowed me to wear my Lions hat again without feeling embarassed for.....oh, about a week. With Suh, that sumbitch'll be on alllllllll summer.

EDIT: Speaking of Millen, anyone hear his analysis on the three-way trade that saw Ernie Sims go to Philly? He claimed that Sims was a good linebacker, just not "for the Lions system". Oh really Matt, THEN WHY DID YOU DRAFT HIM?!

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know much about college football or who will be good in the pros, but I do know I'll be upset if the Vikings waste a 1st round pick on Tim Tebow

Cauld on
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's hoping the Browns trade up and take Eric Berry.

fortis on
    edited April 2010
    Man I still say the first and second rounds should be on the same day. I want to see if we can get Freeman a weapon in the second dammit.

EspantaPajaro on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wifflebat wrote: »

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/live/landing

Doesn't get much more legal than that.

Is this going to "start" when the draft does?

Shawnasee on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hearing the phrase "Tebow to the Raiders" at some point would be like double Christmas.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok i'm probably going to open a can of worms here. I love watching NFL especially my beloved Jets and I understand the game but coming from the UK I have no idea how the draft actually works. Would it be possible to get a brief overview of the whole thing or at least a link somewhere that will explain the whole thing.

In exchange i'll explain the offside rule in soccer/football

also are there new 'Pick Me' adverts this year, they were particularly awesome

Spindizzy on
    edited April 2010
    Man, people are going to be pisssssed when the Lions pick McCoy huh

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2010
    Spindizzy wrote: »
    Ok i'm probably going to open a can of worms here. I love watching NFL especially my beloved Jets and I understand the game but coming from the UK I have no idea how the draft actually works. Would it be possible to get a brief overview of the whole thing or at least a link somewhere that will explain the whole thing.

The teams select players who have completed their college careers in reverse order of finish the previous season. So the worst team (the Rams) select any college senior or college junior who left school early first, then the Lions, etc down to the Saints who pick 32nd. Teams can trade their draft picks. There are seven rounds. The first is today, the second and third tomorrow, and the final four on Saturday.

The draft!

enlightenedbum on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depends on which McCoy.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited April 2010
    DHS wrote: »
    Depends on which McCoy.

Not really. Lions fans are pretty unanimous in their desires here.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2010
    DHS wrote: »
    Depends on which McCoy.

Not really. Lions fans are pretty unanimous in their desires here.

Which is funny because TB fans want Suh too but we have resigned ourselves to McCoy . Which isn't a bad plan B at all.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited April 2010

The general idea is the teams are ordered by previous season record, worst to earliest playoff exit to SB champ. Each team then has a certain amount of time to pick a player they will have exclusive rights to sign from the college football ranks who has decided to go pro. Picks are commodities that can be picked, so for instance the 11th pick should be the Chicago Bear's but they traded it to Denver as part of the Cutler/Orton deal last season.

After 32 picks the second round begins. It gets messier in the third because at the end their are compensatory picks for losing free agents (don't really need to know the details).

Usually what results is a game of cat and mouse as each team lies to each other on who they want, and various experts show highlights and try to project how the players will do in the pro game, often using jargon only heard at the draft ("He's got great upside" means he has a lot of potential for instance)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2010
    Usually what results is a game of cat and mouse as each team lies to each other on who they want, and various experts show highlights and try to project how the players will do in the pro game, often using jargon only heard at the draft ("He's got great upside" means he has a lot of potential for instance)

The NBA draft is better for this bit. "He's got great second-jumpability!"

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2010

The teams select players who have completed their college careers in reverse order of finish the previous season. So the worst team (the Rams) select any college senior or college junior who left school early first, then the Lions, etc down to the Saints who pick 32nd. Teams can trade their draft picks. There are seven rounds. The first is today, the second and third tomorrow, and the final four on Saturday.

The draft!

The only other thing I'd add is teams have 10 minutes to make their pick today. Teams will often use up all that time not because they're trying to figure out who to take, but because they're making phone calls trying to see if there's any good trades out there.

Oh, and don't be worried if the crowd boos the Jets pick. That happens. A lot.

Wet Bandit on
    edited April 2010
    Another important thing about the draft is to ignore anything said by Todd McShay.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited April 2010

The NBA draft is better for this bit. "He's got great second-jumpability!"

But you never know which will feature the most ridiculous suits

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2010
    Another important thing about the draft is to ignore anything said by Todd McShay.

Right now I have

Mayock

Kiper
    McShay

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2010

Except that Jimmy Clausen sucks. It's the first time he's been right about anything.

enlightenedbum on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't have NFLN so I'm stuck with ESPN.

I'm currently seeing Ed Werder outside the Broncos room looking very orange. It's like his color camera is from 1967.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

The draft!

The only other thing I'd add is teams have 10 minutes to make their pick today. Teams will often use up all that time not because they're trying to figure out who to take, but because they're making phone calls trying to see if there's any good trades out there.

Oh, and don't be worried if the crowd boos the Jets pick. That happens. A lot.
    Unless its the Vikings, then they might just have fucked up.

Jets booing: Its a tradition

Hey, Midget Tossing on ESPN?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2010

I've got a question for you: is there any sort of equivalent to the NFL Draft in soccer in Europe?

Wet Bandit on
    edited April 2010
    I don't have NFLN so I'm stuck with ESPN.

I'm currently seeing Ed Werder outside the Broncos room looking very orange. It's like his color camera is from 1967.

Ughh Werder is just fucking annoying anything and everything he reports is from information from "secret sources".

EspantaPajaro on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think every first round QB prospect from now until forever is going to 'suck.' The ESPN expectations industry is sort of ridiculous.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited April 2010
    Unless its the Vikings, then they might just have fucked up.

IIRC, that happened because the team the Vikings were trying to trade with didn't get their card in on time.

Wet Bandit on
    edited April 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

I've got a question for you: is there any sort of equivalent to the NFL Draft in soccer in Europe?

I think the closest thing they have is a draw for various cups and tourneys, but that's more like Selection Sunday. They sign players from the equivalent of Jr High

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cheers guys - i thought that was how it works. Can traded picks be over a few seasons or will a swap in pick order only be allowed for the next season?

I'm used to not getting much love for the Jets. Though hopefully I can win money again this year from my Giants supporting friend as to who will do better over the season.

Spindizzy on
    edited April 2010
    Rams are on the clock

Sam Bradford expected #1

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2010
    You can trade future picks, yes. Patriots own the Raiders first round pick next year, for example.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2010
    Cheers guys - i thought that was how it works. Can traded picks be over a few seasons or will a swap in pick order only be allowed for the next season?

I'm used to not getting much love for the Jets. Though hopefully I can win money again this year from my Giants supporting friend as to who will do better over the season.

You can trade next years picks for picks this year , its a common practice. But with the labor uncertainty they may be reluctant to do so.

EspantaPajaro on
This discussion has been closed.