As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

But then [Mass Effect] began to smell my greatness!

OrcaOrca Also known as EspressosaurusWrexRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
Shamelessly stolen from Dox the PI:
k6IUh.jpg
Skybox issues rock.

Kasumi is out, and she rocks: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/kasumi-trailer-mass-effect/63466?type=flv

LET THERE BE ALT COSTUMES!:
rubb5t.jpg

Here's hoping the next costume pack includes this:
Legion___Back_in_the_day_____by_InsidiousSquid.png

Masseffectlogo.png
Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

AND THE WIKI!

AND MASS EFFECT 2 GUIDE / WALKTHROUGH!

Want to play the class of kings? How to Vanguard 101

Just imagine that every post is being spoken in this tone.Airquotes

And the only true romance: Is that a new hairstyle?

Think Zaeed's a stone cold killer? He's not, and here's proof: Jessie - A Love Story

All aboard the Love Boat with Jacob Taylor: The Prize - Jacob Taylor

Kasanagi's early Christmas present to us; a mod that turns the widow into a fully automatic death machine:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Orca on

• deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quads.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let the ironic Talimancing begin.

Finnith, Pabst AKA Pabst Blue Ribbon is a blue collar cheap beer like Milwaukee's Best that hipsters ironically drink. They've ironically drunk so much of it Pabst was able to raise its price. Hipsters ruin everything.

Orca on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't this be "Fry, you emu-bellied [Mass Effect thread]"?

For the sake of accuracy, I mean.

Also, blargh to that "canon romance" video.

Ceno on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The OP has been stolen so many times no one knows who originally made it.

Therefore, I will take credit for it even though I think I do know who did it.

Dragkonias on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Something about this video seems a little off to me.

Did you somehow change Miranda's hair? I didn't know that was possible.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I know who.
    The reapers.

Same fucking cycle over and over and over again.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited April 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Imitation is the sincerest form of copying.

Orca on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ah, new thread

On the serious, I did think this pic was fairly cool.
    Quarian.jpg

yeah, that's my favorite too. got a kind of Tsutomu Nihei vibe to it :^:
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Are there any plans for a MASS EFFECT art book ? I have the one from HALF LIFE 2- RAISING THE BAR- and it's very interesting. Lots of concept art and sketches, photos of the models, descriptions of the creative process behind the look of the game. Were something similar to be published for ME I'd buy it in about three seconds.

i have this one :P

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Mass-Effect-Dan-Birlew/dp/0761558519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271991102&sr=1-1

although i bought mine a few months ago and it was only around 24 bucks

holy appreciation, batman

it's damn nice. i can't wait for a similar one for ME2 to come out.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are there any plans for a MASS EFFECT art book ? I have the one from HALF LIFE 2- RAISING THE BAR- and it's very interesting. Lots of concept art and sketches, photos of the models, descriptions of the creative process behind the look of the game. Were something similar to be published for ME I'd buy it in about three seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Mass-Effect-Dan-Birlew/dp/0761558519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271991102&sr=1-1

If one does. That art book came out at the same time as the strategy guide.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Crass_Effect_by_molemeister.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

If one does. That art book came out at the same time as the strategy guide.

one can hope.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hadn't even realized there was an artbook for ME1. How many pages is it, and does it have any interesting commentary or is it all designs?

The only artbook I was ever interested enough to buy was this one, which was fairly ludicrous for $25, since it's like the size of two Calvin & Hobbes anthologies put together.
    okami_artbook1.jpg

But I also really like Mass Effect, so if they ever put out another artbook that's interesting, I might have to get in on it.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shamelessly stolen from Dox the PI:
    k6IUh.jpg

OHhhhhh yeahh I just remembered that I wanted to explain that picture.

There's a bug on the PC version where you can see the giant heads of folks who are being rendered into holograms, like for ads or little messages you get to see a dude's head in or whatever.

Anywho, if there's a hole in the skybox on the PC, you can see a bad hall of mirrors effect or giant floating heads, some times both.

On the xbox 9 times out of 10 if there's a hole in the skybox you just don't see anything.

The illusive man isn't 90 stories tall and watching you completing the game, it's just a bug.

Juc on
    edited April 2010
    Sure, sure, but how about this one?
    xmsnk1.jpg
    Difficulty: I refuse to accept any explanation that does not affirm Shepard's enviable prowess and/or the Illusive Man's secret admiration.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That one's simple, it's the hidden camera in Shepards private bathroom.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2010
    Juc wrote: »

The illusive man isn't 90 stories tall and watching you completing the game, it's just a bug.

are there stories behind the garrus loyalty ghosting effect and the jacob loyalty invisibility? :winky:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Like real stories or fanfic?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    beats me, i'm just wondering if it's a skybox issue or something else

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited April 2010

Garrus took a few levels in thief.

Orca on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

This sounds like a dark project

Robman on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let the ironic Talimancing begin.

Finnith, Pabst AKA Pabst Blue Ribbon is a blue collar cheap beer like Milwaukee's Best that hipsters ironically drink. They've ironically drunk so much of it Pabst was able to raise its price. Hipsters ruin everything.

Heh. Their own attempt to be ironic resulted in more irony that they did not intend.

I am still trying to convince people on the official forums. One claims that ME1's combat furthered the game's artistic value. The other claims to have finished ME2 with only Incinerate.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All right! Only one more run of ME2 left for me to finish, then I can move on to other games. Just a run with a ladyshep romancing Thane.

What class should I be? I've already done soldier, adept, and the biotic/soldier comob that I can't remember the name of.

Didgeridoo on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    All right! Only one more run of ME2 left for me to finish, then I can move on to other games. Just a run with a ladyshep romancing Thane.

What class should I be? I've already done soldier, adept, and the biotic/soldier comob that I can't remember the name of.

Infiltrator

Seriously, it's fucking hilarious to skeet deadly headshots and take out bosses in 1-2 hits that you struggled with previously.

Robman on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Infiltrator

Do it

Salvation122 on
    edited April 2010
    That's two votes for Infiltrator! Sounds like a plan!

Didgeridoo on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, infiltrator is a good choice, assuming you didn't hate soldier. The other two options lack magic and/or an extra weapon, and Sentinel's unique ability is the least exciting. Engineer's drone is super useful and pretty fun sometimes, but infiltrator is beeettteeeerrr.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited April 2010
    What's the one where you 'charge' everybody? I get the feeling it may have been the combo biotic/soldier one I tried first. However, I never actually used the 'charge' ability if so. Because i sucked and didn't understand the combat system, you see.

That's another option... maybe I should be one of those charge-y people

Didgeridoo on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's the biotic/combat class. The Vanguard.

Charge is super fun. You just have to have room in front of the target to reach them. And don't charge into crowds or without cover to fall back to.

EDIT: Third vote for infiltrator. Basically a lighter, stealthier, boom-headshot soldier. Sentinel was satisfying for me but there's nothing flashy about having tech armor and whittling away defenses.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited April 2010
    What's the one where you 'charge' everybody? I get the feeling it may have been the combo biotic/soldier one I tried first. However, I never actually used the 'charge' ability if so. Because i sucked and didn't understand the combat system, you see.

That's another option... maybe I should be one of those charge-y people

You've never properly played Vanguard? You haven't lived sir!

Orca on
    edited April 2010
    Hmmmm... maybe a proper run of a vanguard, then. With soldier, I ended up sniping quite a bit of the time, so I dunno if infiltrator will be all that different from that experience.

Didgeridoo on
    edited April 2010
    vanguard. the class of gentlemen. it's really some of the most fun i've ever had in ME2.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited April 2010
    vanguard. the class of gentlemen. it's really some of the most fun i've ever had.

Orca on
    edited April 2010
    Hmmmm... maybe a proper run of a vanguard, then. With soldier, I ended up sniping quite a bit of the time, so I dunno if infiltrator will be all that different from that experience.

Yeah, while cloak is a lot of fun and incinerate is handy, you've already seen the ammo types with soldier and have probably seen plenty of sniping and SMGs from the other classes.

The important thing to remember about your vanguard is that holy shit I'm dying it's time to charge.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not even close to doing the Kasumi mission yet, but you know what?

Goggles.
    masseffect2201004230101.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2010
    God, that stare is so intense! Staring at that implacable, hypnotic visage, I'd be trying to get Miranda to shut the hell up with the questions and let TIM deal with it too.

"Seriously, Miranda, goggles has had enough of this. Please."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »

This sounds like a dark project

I chuckled.

Anyway, now that I finally got my copy of ME2 back from the two friends that wanted to borrow it, I'm doing my fourth game as a Sentinel. I think I prefer Infiltrator and Soldier, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it. Also, I recently found out how amazing Reave is. I can't believe I waited this long to choose it as a bonus skill. My Vanguard really could have used it for a long-range attack option.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am a fan of the sentinel. There is no better de-buffer in the game. In fact my next run will probably be a sentinel disaster run where I get legion as quickly as possible then have him for all possible recruitment and loyalty quests. I don't want to start messing with my coalesced.ini file to unlock him earlier.

envoy1 on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did Kasumi's loyalty mission for the first time last night. It was entertaining.

Unfortunately, I seem to have failed to pick up the SMG.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • GlipherGlipher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Did Kasumi's loyalty mission for the first time last night. It was entertaining.

Unfortunately, I seem to have failed to pick up the SMG.
    I missed it on my first time through too. It's on the same table as the Graybox, which I didn't expect considering how spaced out all the items in the room were.

Glipher on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah, while cloak is a lot of fun and incinerate is handy, you've already seen the ammo types with soldier and have probably seen plenty of sniping and SMGs from the other classes.

The important thing to remember about your vanguard is that holy shit I'm dying it's time to charge.

Infiltrator + Widow = A Fine Red Mist: Shepard's Narrative of Slow Motion Cranial Explosions that Soothe the Soul. Foreword by Zaeed Massani

Vanguard, however, is all about charge. You probably owe yourself a proper playthru of both :P

Bobble on