As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Setting up a wireless network in a dorm room

HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Alright, so I want to connect to Nintendo WFC while I'm on campus. Problem is, my college (University of North Texas) only has wireless access outside of the dorms, not in them. I've successfully set up my xbox live on the wired connection before, so I know that using online services is possible, so long as I make sure to make the network think that it's my computer connecting, not an xbox.

Anyway, I've got a wireless G router, I've cloned my computer's mac address, put in my username and password, and all sorts of tricks, but I can't get it to stay connected. Others in my res hall have successfully set up their wireless connections, as evidenced by their SSIDs showing up on the network list, but I can't get mine to work. Anyone have experience setting up wireless connections in dorm rooms, or better yet, at UNT (I know that's asking too much).

HtR-Laser on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What can't you get to stay connected? The router to the network, or wireless devices to the router?

If it's the latter, it's probably interference from the other wireless signals near you. Try different channels and see what works.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's the router not being able to stay connected to the network. Any time something tries to connect to the net through wireless, it'll detect the router and then the internet light on the router will start blinking, indicating a dropped connection.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    It's the router not being able to stay connected to the network. Any time something tries to connect to the net through wireless, it'll detect the router and then the internet light on the router will start blinking, indicating a dropped connection.

Are you sure it's properly connecting in the first place? You say:
    I've cloned my computer's mac address, put in my username and password

but it would be extremely weird for a college LAN to be using PPPoE. You should probably have your router try to connect to the network by just using DHCP.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, actually I don't know if the username and password are required. I just tried putting them in since I have to use my EUID and password to log on through my pc normally. I checked my xbox network settings and the only thing my xbox does is use my pc's mac address, so I'll give it a try again and see if it works, but I'm not holding out.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    Yeah, actually I don't know if the username and password are required. I just tried putting them in since I have to use my EUID and password to log on through my pc normally. I checked my xbox network settings and the only thing my xbox does is use my pc's mac address, so I'll give it a try again and see if it works, but I'm not holding out.

What router are you using?

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G router.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Log into your router, under Internet WAN click Connection Type and choose Dynamic.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Log into your router, under Internet WAN click Connection Type and choose Dynamic.

Done, still no dice as far as I can tell.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DISCLAIMER: I have worked for a university dorm room internet provider.

First off: Setting up wireless network connections in dorm rooms is something not to be done lightly. You better have some tight security (ie. WPA with a very very non-dictionary password, with the SSID not broadcast), because there is a fair chance that you'll be visible to someone looking to break your network for kicks, because they know it'll be on all the time. Then they can do all sorts of shit, and then you get the finger when the RIAA comes a-knockin'.

In regards to what you're trying to do: like Barra said, sounds weird. Your router should be set up to do what your computer was set up to do, use the instructions your uni gave you, but just translate them.

I just Googled EUID, and it seems like something unique to your university. You need to work out how to make the settings you setup in Windows work on the router.

If you can't do this, I would suspect it isn't worth the bother, and I doubt the university is going to help you. To be fair, it's more likely that your router is at fault than their network is setup funny.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why not buy one of those Nintendo USB dongle thingys?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Couldn't you plug your pc in (wired), I'm assuming your pc also has some sort of wifi support. Establish a connection between Wii and PC and then bridge the wired and wireless connections? This is pretty much how I've just got an old (and slightly broken) xbox connected up in my bedroom. I'm not buying a wireless adapter for the kit, I've just got it plugged wired in to my macbook and then the macbook connected to the net, bridged the two networks and it works fine.

::Also, and I know I probably shouldn't suggest this and you may have tried, couldn't you see if any of the other wireless networks are...ahem...not very secure. After all, you're only hooking your Wii up, it doesn't suck bandwidth.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like you might have a slightly different situation than most schools, but it should still be the mostly the same as mine was.

In my dorm room, I simply installed the driver on my PC and set-up the router as I was told to do. For security, I just use DHCP, as it's simple and easy to use. Connecting to the campus internet is the same just about everywhere I think, needing a student ID and password. You shouldn't have to do anything with that on the router itself, but whenever you get some kind of internet, the first time you open your browser you'll need to put in your ID/pass to authorize this "new IP" for internet access.

I would recommend asking the IT help desk about setting up your Wii for access. I have my PS2 set up (wired), and only had to input a couple things to have it verified and cleared for connection. There may even be a quick How-To on their site with step-by-step on what to do.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know too much about wireless networking, but would it be possible to connect a computer or something to the wired network, and then have that send out a wireless signal for you to connect to?

Etch on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Etch wrote: »
    I don't know too much about wireless networking, but would it be possible to connect a computer or something to the wired network, and then have that send out a wireless signal for you to connect to?

Sure, but you have to enable Internet Connection Sharing and you'll need two NIC cards, one of which would be using a crossover cable. It's not too easy but it can be done.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    racyrefinedrajracyrefinedraj Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Why not buy one of those Nintendo USB dongle thingys?

seems like a lot less hassle and a lot less "hey you aren't allowed to have a wireless network in here"

racyrefinedraj on
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Setting up a wireless router on a school's network can get you in a lot of trouble. I work for my school's geek department and if we find out that somebody has been using a wireless router we shut off their ports for good. Be cautious.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yeah, it's probably not worth the trouble. I'll look for a dongle.

HtR-Laser on