As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat] Ghost donkey earns $2 million in four hours

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    You could have nocturnal creatures and sources of light were cool, sure by the endgame everyone had a source of nightvision and their magic items glowed innately but carrying a lantern as a newbie was interesting.

Carrying rations that you automatically ate as time went by, higher level food lasting ridiculously long. It's basically sacrificing an inventory slot for some immersion like a shaman totem or mining pick. Oh or item weight in general. Certain things like grey vendor trash swords and armor could actually quickly encumber you, and weight reducing (as well as increasing in slot number) bags were a cool high end feature.

Hell even having to figure out which direction (N, S, E, W) you're facing via any of the numerous methods was immersive.

It's all little stuff, oh I need to have some Iron Rations, a Compass and maybe that item that gives my Low-Light vision in my bags next to my mining pick, enchanting rod, skinning knife, hearthstone? But it adds up to that "magic".

Being utterly blind because you picked the wrong race sucked ass. Getting lost in the cave to Surefall glade or Toxx forest because I couldn't see at all was stupid. Ditto for the rations. Health/Mana regen sucked enough as it was. Requiring a reagent to make it happen was just adding insult to injury. Plus oh hey...you just ate your quest item! /facepalm

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »
    When building a living world the little touches count for a lot. You may think it's annoying to have to go back to a vendor to buy rations once a week and waste an inventory slot on them. It's also annoying to buy reagents once a week and waste inventory slots on them. But I'd argue that their presence is beneficial to the game, going to that NPC vendor helps build a world rather than just a game.

Dalaran actually improved things a bit in this regard. There's some small stuff you might never notice except by accident, such as the gnome that walks around turning on the magical lamps.

I sat in a chair this morning in the clothing shop and got my shoes shined. It gave me a stupid grin on my face. I immediately tried to tip the cobbler dude. The details in Dalaran are indeed amazing, and I can't wait to have all of the other cities get the same treatment.

Samphis on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Having mobs drop just money instead of vendor trash and removing reagents from certain spells would definitely be an improvement. Not making spells cost straight up money, though. That would be silly. What kind of goose would even think up a system like that? Quite some goose.

Having to go back to an auction house or mailbox is really annoying too, let's just have a /ah and /mail command to bring up those interfaces anywhere in the game.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    And look we can take the minimalist argument to an extreme. Having to actually carry loot and take it back to a vendor isn't fun either, right? Why don't we just have the text "You loot a [Grey Sword] worth 2g 43s" appear in the log and I get the coin straight up? Or reagents. Why not make the spell just take 20 silver to cast instead of 3 arcane dust?

Having mobs drop just money instead of vendor trash and removing reagents from certain spells would definitely be an improvement. Not making spells cost straight up money, though. That would be silly. What kind of goose would even think up a system like that? Quite some goose.

I think he is arguing that without the immersion factor of NEEDING reagents, that's basically what it would amount to.

Reagents are terrible and they should be removed from the game, not replaced with an even more stupid alternative.

reVerse on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know what was a terribad example of an instance? The stockades. You know what is another example of an awesome instance? Black Fathom Depths.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No. I worked hard for my portable mailbox, portable bank and butler and vendor mammoth. Please don't make those things console commands.

Samphis on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I notice when it rains in Mulgore. I like when it rains there for of the same reason that people probably don't like it elsewhere. It doesn't really get darker, so it reminds me of a summer shower where there aren't enough clouds to block out the sun. It works really well with the type of climate that Mulgore seems to have.

jackal on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, I still carry around a [Lucky Rabbit's Foot] on my Rogue, and High King Mekkatorque's Silver Coin, a set of Troll Dice and that compass that points you in a random direction on my Engineering Hunter.

I like the little useless trinkets and gadgets.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    You could have nocturnal creatures and sources of light were cool, sure by the endgame everyone had a source of nightvision and their magic items glowed innately but carrying a lantern as a newbie was interesting.

Carrying rations that you automatically ate as time went by, higher level food lasting ridiculously long. It's basically sacrificing an inventory slot for some immersion like a shaman totem or mining pick. Oh or item weight in general. Certain things like grey vendor trash swords and armor could actually quickly encumber you, and weight reducing (as well as increasing in slot number) bags were a cool high end feature.

Hell even having to figure out which direction (N, S, E, W) you're facing via any of the numerous methods was immersive.

It's all little stuff, oh I need to have some Iron Rations, a Compass and maybe that item that gives my Low-Light vision in my bags next to my mining pick, enchanting rod, skinning knife, hearthstone? But it adds up to that "magic".

Being utterly blind because you picked the wrong race sucked ass. Getting lost in the cave to Surefall glade or Toxx forest because I couldn't see at all was stupid. Ditto for the rations. Health/Mana regen sucked enough as it was. Requiring a reagent to make it happen was just adding insult to injury. Plus oh hey...you just ate your quest item! /facepalm

Some of my best memories are getting lost in the frontiers in DAoC (the original ones) and coming across shit that could rape my face. I spent hours just wandering around. The mobs were so far apart it was fun to explore. Then I found a PvP entrence to darkness falls (I think that's where it lead to at the time) and it was just fun as shit.

I remember when a new realm captured darkness falls, they'd all run to their spawn and fight it out and it was just amazing PvP. Darkness falls wasn't required to enjoy the game but had some of the best PvE loot because of the trouble it was to get in there and fight.

I almost want to play DAoC again, but then I remember almost no one really plays it anymore. :(

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Having to go back to an auction house or mailbox is really annoying too, let's just have a /ah and /mail command to bring up those interfaces anywhere in the game.

/facepalm

Sorry if you're getting offended here, but we are talking about a video game. You have to find the proper balance between immersion and fun. And you have to make good decisions about what qualifies as desirable immersion, and what's there to just be a pain in the ass.

For example, our beloved EQ had all those immersive elements you listed a page ago. Great! But when it came to dungeons, you have a 100% break in immersion, as people picked one spot to camp, while another person pulled monsters to the spot. That's 0% immersion.

In WoW, while we don't have to feed our characters every few hours, created a vastly superior form of immersion via it's questing and dungeon design. This is why no one pays to play EQ anymore, and WoW is still, five years later, one of the most popular games on the planet.

Sorry to break your rose-colored glassed, friend.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Reagents are terrible and they should be removed from the game, not replaced with an even more stupid alternative.

Having to repair is also terrible and should be removed from the game. Or maybe they can just take the gold from me each time I die instead of lowering my durability? "You have died. You lose 10g 43s for repairs".

The "annoying" things are hooks to force you to participate with the persistent NPC world you goose, they give the world character, make it real and there should be more of them
    Sorry to break your rose-colored glassed, friend.

I freely admit that WoW is a superior game, by far. But why can't we have ALL the good aspects? Take giant leaps forward in dungeons and questing, awesome. Don't take steps back on immersive world elements because "mehhh". I'm surprised they even bothered to patch the weather in at all, really. Every single thing that's lacking is just them cutting corners.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am hoping they make some substantial changes to Heroic Deadmines, and then put all the instances on par with DM / Scholo / Strat.

I hate dungeouns that are just Okay, kill EVERYTHING!

Strat was cool, Occulus was cool, DM was cool, ST was cool, etc.

What? ST was NOT cool. I played WoW for a long time and remember only one successful full clear of Sunken Temple. I'd agree on DM and Strat. Pressing switches here and there for opening passageways was kinda cool.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Man, I still carry around a [Lucky Rabbit's Foot] on my Rogue, and High King Mekkatorque's Silver Coin, a set of Troll Dice and that compass that points you in a random direction on my Engineering Hunter.

I like the little useless trinkets and gadgets.

See, this is perfectly cool, voluntary bag space wasting nicknacks. Cool little toys and trinkets one can choose to have with them.

The kind of idiotic system that some geese in this thread seem to be advocating where you must waste inventory spots for mandatory nicknacks can go die in a fire.
    Having to repair is also terrible and should be removed from the game. Or maybe they can just take the gold from me each time I die instead of lowering my durability? "You have died. You lose 10g 43s for repairs".

No, this wouldn't work. If they did what you suggest, directly losing money when you die, people would consider that needlessly punitive. By allowing you to "choose" to go to a repair guy and buy repairs for your gear the player feels it's not quite as big a punishment. It's really quite brilliant from Blizzard's part, and I'm not at all surprised how you completely fail to understand it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The kind of idiotic system that some geese in this thread seem to be advocating where you must waste inventory spots for mandatory nicknacks can go die in a fire.

So the mining pick infuriates you, too?

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm okay with having to waste bag space, so long as it doesn't take up an entire goddamn bag on one thing. Big bags help.

But then again, a lot would seem better than having to fill an entire bag with a non-stacking item.

(Although, then again, using the bag space doesn't even bother me as much as the risk of running out.)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The "annoying" things are hooks to force you to participate with the persistent NPC world you goose, they give the world character, make it real and there should be more of them

They are also designed to keep you playing the game. Repairs cost money, which forces you to make sure you have money to cover the costs which forces you to play to earn the money. Mind you that is simplified but lots of the little "annoying nuances" are just well designed ploys to keep the dollars rolling in.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So the mining pick infuriates you, too?

No, because I chose mining as my profession.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Some of my best memories are getting lost in the frontiers in DAoC (the original ones) and coming across shit that could rape my face. I spent hours just wandering around. The mobs were so far apart it was fun to explore. Then I found a PvP entrence to darkness falls (I think that's where it lead to at the time) and it was just fun as shit.

I remember when a new realm captured darkness falls, they'd all run to their spawn and fight it out and it was just amazing PvP. Darkness falls wasn't required to enjoy the game but had some of the best PvE loot because of the trouble it was to get in there and fight.

I almost want to play DAoC again, but then I remember almost no one really plays it anymore. :(

Oh I love exploring new places and getting lost. I don't like it when I literally can't see where I'm going. My screen was pitch black even with the gamma turned up. Ya, I deleted that human ranger and rerolled a half-elven one.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They are also designed to keep you playing the game. Repairs cost money, which forces you to make sure you have money to cover the costs which forces you to play to earn the money. Mind you that is simplified but lots of the little "annoying nuances" are just well designed ploys to keep the dollars rolling in.

What I proposed "You have died. You lose 10g 43s for repairs" doesn't actually cut out that gold grinding, it just removes the need for you to interact with the NPC blacksmith.

Anyway the gold grind doesn't keep anyone playing, it's the achievement grinding and slotmachine style gambling-reinforcement loot system.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm okay with having to waste bag space, so long as it doesn't take up an entire goddamn bag on one thing. Big bags help.

But then again, a lot would seem better than having to fill an entire bag with a non-stacking item.

(Although, then again, using the bag space doesn't even bother me as much as the risk of running out.)

I'm sure glad there is no items like that.

Especailly esential ones for summoning demons and such :p

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm sure you chose to carry a hearthstone rather than walking, too.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

What I proposed "You have died. You lose 10g 43s for repairs" doesn't actually cut out that gold grinding, it just removes the need for you to interact with the NPC blacksmith.

Anyway the gold grind doesn't keep anyone playing, it's the achievement grinding and slotmachine style gambling-reinforcement loot system.

Right, I was actually just dove-tailing on your comment. I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said. The gold grind does keep people playing though, or at least keeps people motivated to play. If you did not have to have money in order to raid/PVP and be competitive you would play less. The need for money is an incentive to keep playing.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm sure you chose to carry a hearthstone rather than walking, too.

I was given a hearthstone and I chose to keep it because it's incredibly useful, yes.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »
    Dead Mines is in a league of it's own. Some of it may have been that the whole instance thing was a semi-fresh idea and it was new to all WoW players. Instances now are just another part of the game. Players are jaded now so it all seems a little diminished. I am trying think of a post vanilla instance that gave me that same "woah" feeling when I finished it. Sadly, I can't.

The first time you enter Murmur's Room in Shadow Labyrinth was pretty epic. Once you killed Vorpal, there was a short event that most people miss because they're arguing over the loot or because they kited him over to the far side of his room, but if you run straight towards the door to the final room you'd see it fly open from the inside, and there are cultists running out trying to escape, but they are cut down by Murmur just as they leave. That was pretty much the one cool thing about Shadow Labyrinth (besides "Time for fun!").

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was given a hearthstone and I chose to keep it because it's incredibly useful, yes.

It'd be incredibly useful to not lose your HP and mana regen because you're starving, too.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It'd be incredibly useful to not lose your HP and mana regen because you're starving, too.

Good thing something like "starvation" isn't in the game, then, because that would be incredibly terrible game design, and therefore we don't need to sacrifice inventory room to fight this horrible feature.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

I actually liked it better when we weren't limited to 32. :-/ The drain soul proc is kinda nice, I guess, but feh.

My feeling would have assuaged if they had made them stack at the same time they made them unique, but they didn't. I guess it's definitely different now though, since I often get my soul shards from training dummies now.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

I actually liked it better when we weren't limited to 32. :-/ The drain soul proc is kinda nice, I guess, but feh.

My feeling would have assuaged if they had made them stack at the same time they made them unique, but they didn't. I guess it's definitely different now though, since I often get my soul shards from training dummies now.

I am honestly surprised the soul shard system is still in the game. I feel like it would have been replaced with something else by now. Hopefuly a better something.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One thing I miss from EQ is mounted combat. My Necro riding on his horse casting spells and causing chaos was fun. The fact that being mounted counted as sitting and such you got a bonus to mana regain was nice too.

Edit: And I never felt "wronged" or whatever about the Soul Shard system on my Warlock. I just played along as it being a part of the class. Same with Hunters and Ammo. I'll miss having a quiver full of arrows.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Good thing something like "starvation" isn't in the game, then, because that would be incredibly terrible game design, and therefore we don't need to sacrifice inventory room to fight this horrible feature.

Let's try a different route, since you just ignore the point of these features and act like a goose.

What role do you think NPCs should serve in a MMORPG persistent world? You've said you don't like having to loot and vendor trash loot and think that should be removed. You think reagents are terrible and should be removed. You think anything that forces you to carry and buy/sell items to be bad.

Why even bother? Why don't I just go from a chat room at the character select screen straight into Icecrown Citadel?

Maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The food/water thing in EQ totally broke my immersion, because I never had to actively eat it. A piece just disappeared from my inventory every 2 hours. For all practical purposes, it was just another counter/check that I never interacted with, outside of actually buying large stacks of food every other play session or so.

I find the food/water in WoW is much more immersive because I actively choose when to eat and drink to immersively gain an temporary increase in HP/Mana regen.

:winky:

ironzerg on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd think a feature like a buff or debuff when you're well-fed and starving would be neat to have. Impacts haste/regen or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Food? Water? Moonkin have moved beyond such petty concerns... unless the healer needs the innervate in which case *shakes fist*.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd think a feature like a buff or debuff when you're well-fed and starving would be neat to have. Impacts haste/regen or something.

The well-fed is already in there. But adding a debuff for when you are hungry is one of those penalizing you to play things. Not everyone has, or wants food. It's a cool idea but I don't think it's a WoW idea.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That'd be awesome. Instead of having a generic "water" or "bread" icon, you could actually gather ingredients and cook up various foods to provide you with some sort of buff, if you took the time to sit down and eat.

That would be totally immersive!

:winky:

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You think anything that forces you to carry and buy/sell items to be bad.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from lying. I never said this.

Looting items and selling them is fine if the item has a purpose (white items and onwards). Looting items that are useless as anything but vendor trash is pointless: if all the item is used for is selling it to an NPC in exchange for money, why do we need to pick it up at all? Just have the mob drop more money.
    Maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you.

Incorrect.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'd have to kill and then canabalize more people...

I'm for it :D

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Looting items and selling them is fine if the item has a purpose (white items and onwards). Looting items that are useless as anything but vendor trash is pointless: if all the item is used for is selling it to an NPC in exchange for money, why do we need to pick it up at all? Just have the mob drop more money.

Playing devils advocate here, but perhaps it has something to do with loot tables and item priorities? I really am just throwing that out there. I do not know that to be true.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You pretty much have that feature already. When you are well fed you have slightly more stamina. It's just incredibly small. If they took maybe 10% stamina away and gave it back on the well fed buff that would probably be about right. It would have to persist through death though... and nevermind, that would just be annoying.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

Playing devils advocate here, but perhaps it has something to do with loot tables and item priorities? I really am just throwing that out there. I do not know that to be true.

Well, I'd imagine it's because of the whole Skinner's Box thing, but I do wonder would dropping plain money instead of a vendorable, bag space hogging item be all that detrimental for the general effect.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.