As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat] Ghost donkey earns $2 million in four hours

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would appreciate it if you would refrain from lying. I never said this.

Looting items and selling them is fine if the item has a purpose (white items and onwards). Looting items that are useless as anything but vendor trash is pointless: if all the item is used for is selling it to an NPC in exchange for money, why do we need to pick it up at all? Just have the mob drop more money.

How is it lying, you just said that everything grey is worthless and that buying/selling to/from NPCs is utterly worthless in your eyes!

Now answer the question: What role do NPCs (or even cities in general) serve in your idea of a MMORPG?

It's the NPC interactions (vendoring at a NPC, buying reagents at an NPC, repairing at an NPC, accessing AH via an NPC...) that make in game cities actually have a purpose, that forces you into proximity with other players.

Without them you'd just be out grinding/questing in the wilderness using your UI interface to automatically teleport to instances to do an instance then return to your grinding/questing without ever actually interacting with the world. It might as well be a single player game with some online co-op, it's not actually a world any more.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    You could have nocturnal creatures and sources of light were cool, sure by the endgame everyone had a source of nightvision and their magic items glowed innately but carrying a lantern as a newbie was interesting.

Carrying rations that you automatically ate as time went by, higher level food lasting ridiculously long. It's basically sacrificing an inventory slot for some immersion like a shaman totem or mining pick. Oh or item weight in general. Certain things like grey vendor trash swords and armor could actually quickly encumber you, and weight reducing (as well as increasing in slot number) bags were a cool high end feature.

Hell even having to figure out which direction (N, S, E, W) you're facing via any of the numerous methods was immersive.

It's all little stuff, oh I need to have some Iron Rations, a Compass and maybe that item that gives my Low-Light vision in my bags next to my mining pick, enchanting rod, skinning knife, hearthstone? But it adds up to that "magic".

Being utterly blind because you picked the wrong race sucked ass. Getting lost in the cave to Surefall glade or Toxx forest because I couldn't see at all was stupid. Ditto for the rations. Health/Mana regen sucked enough as it was. Requiring a reagent to make it happen was just adding insult to injury. Plus oh hey...you just ate your quest item! /facepalm

Some of my best memories are getting lost in the frontiers in DAoC (the original ones) and coming across shit that could rape my face. I spent hours just wandering around. The mobs were so far apart it was fun to explore. Then I found a PvP entrence to darkness falls (I think that's where it lead to at the time) and it was just fun as shit.

I remember when a new realm captured darkness falls, they'd all run to their spawn and fight it out and it was just amazing PvP. Darkness falls wasn't required to enjoy the game but had some of the best PvE loot because of the trouble it was to get in there and fight.

I almost want to play DAoC again, but then I remember almost no one really plays it anymore. :(

DAoC was my first mmorpg, I played it for years. I go back every ~12 months to check it out for a few days.
    Do yourself a favor and keep your good memories of it. The UI alone is infuriating after being spoiled by WoW. It really hasn't aged well at all.

It's immersion is still great. I actually have the music going in this game as even though I have heard that "zoning into frontier" loop 100000 times it is still a great mood setter. Keeps are still massive.

Wandering around black mountains on a level appropriate character at night is scary as crap. If you get aggroed by more than 1 even con mob you are probably dead. Oh and turning on your torch in really dark zones is usually a hindrance more than a help as you get this kind of night blindness effect.

Darkness Falls as mentioned above was epic as a mofo. Legion raids felt like you were actually invading hell.

Now I am going to go read vnboards and be all nostalgic (for about 10 mins).

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Edit: And I never felt "wronged" or whatever about the Soul Shard system on my Warlock. I just played along as it being a part of the class. Same with Hunters and Ammo. I'll miss having a quiver full of arrows.

I find it somewhat annoying, but more of my complaints are with regard to
    a. Risk of running out on a progression fight
    b. Their attempts to make it "better", when I don't think it really improved it (which I think make a. more of a problem)

The bag space issue is a problem too, but I've mostly ended up buying huge bags as a result.

I do think the Cataclysm system for shards will be better, balancing concerns aside.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    You think anything that forces you to carry and buy/sell items to be bad.

Looting items and selling them is fine if the item has a purpose (white items and onwards). Looting items that are useless as anything but vendor trash is pointless: if all the item is used for is selling it to an NPC in exchange for money, why do we need to pick it up at all? Just have the mob drop more money.
    Maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you.

Incorrect.

It's called 'immersion.' Something that happens in Role Playing Games. Like MMORPGs. You're right, it is completely pointless to pick up ten chipped elephant tusks. It would be more conveinient to have the elephants just drop money equal to the amount of the tusks. But it would also be completely assanign and make no sense whatsoever in a 'roleplay' perspective. Elephants don't carry money, they have no pockets. If you think carrying around grey crap to sell later is pointless, then DON'T, leave it to rot on the corpse. There's not a gun to your head.

Some of us enjoy having a world that we INTERACT with. Which includes vendors and repairs and grey loot and regeants. Stuff that makes us think "Hmmm, do I drop these four bristly whiskers to pick up that rusted dagger?" A game that involves more than just a mindless kill, loot, repeat.

If you don't, then go play a game that doesn't have them. 'Why do I have to buy regeants?' 'Why do I have to repair?' 'Why do I have to sell loot to vendors?' What are you going to ask next 'Why do I actually have to fight monsters?' or 'Why can't they just hand me loot when I log in?'

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »
    Edit: And I never felt "wronged" or whatever about the Soul Shard system on my Warlock. I just played along as it being a part of the class. Same with Hunters and Ammo. I'll miss having a quiver full of arrows.

b. Their attempts to make it "better", when I don't think it really improved it (which I think make a. more of a problem)

The bag space issue is a problem too, but I've mostly ended up buying huge bags as a result.

I do think the Cataclysm system for shards will be better, balancing concerns aside.

I never realized you could ever run out.. till I stopped playing affliction and switched to Demo.

Then it hit me fast.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »
    You think anything that forces you to carry and buy/sell items to be bad.

Playing devils advocate here, but perhaps it has something to do with loot tables and item priorities? I really am just throwing that out there. I do not know that to be true.

Well, I'd imagine it's because of the whole Skinner's Box thing, but I do wonder would dropping plain money instead of a vendorable, bag space hogging item be all that detrimental for the general effect.

It's all a big circular game. You need bags to carry stuff so you can make money. You need money for bigger bags so you can hold more stuff to make more money. So on and so forth.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

How is it lying, you just said that everything grey is worthless and that buying/selling to/from NPCs is utterly worthless in your eyes!

Everything gray is worthless beyond being turned into cash. Are you arguing otherwise? Because that would be silly.

What you did imply that I think carrying any items is somehow bad, which I never said. Having to lug around gray items is bad game design because they are, indeed, useless for anything other than just vendoring. There's nothing wrong with carrying around items that can be used for something beyond "hit button, gain gold".
    Now answer the question: What role do NPCs (or even cities in general) serve in your idea of a MMORPG?

Other than handing out quests, repairing your gear, training your skills and auctioning your items? Scenery.
    It's the NPC interactions (vendoring at a NPC, buying reagents at an NPC, repairing at an NPC, accessing AH via an NPC...) that make in game cities actually have a purpose, that forces you into proximity with other players.

I've never advocated removing auctioneers or repairmen. In fact, when it comes to repairing your gear, I did mention that it's actually good game design and explained why. Perhaps you missed that post because you were too busy vomiting your goosery all over the place?

Also, I would still appreciate it if you would refrain from lying and attributing opinions to me that I have never stated.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not everything grey is worthless. Back Vanilla my raid discovered this when our Main Tanks weapon broke, and a helpful enchanter in the group used one of the gray crap swords he had looted, tossed crusader on it, handed it to the MT, and the raid was able to continue without reclearing half the instance so he could go repair.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

I never realized you could ever run out.. till I stopped playing affliction and switched to Demo.

Then it hit me fast.

Yeah, I'm really glad I'm not demo. Even affliction can run low though, if you're not getting to 25% health. Frankly, I'm glad for trash, I'm not even kidding.

All you trash haters can go die in fires.

End on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Then it hit me fast.

Yeah, I'm really glad I'm not demo. Even affliction can run low though, if you're not getting to 25% health. Frankly, I'm glad for trash, I'm not even kidding.

See: Trial of the Crusader

"hey someone come duel me outside for a few minutes so I can restock"*

*this was before I realized the dummies on the tournament grounds worked as well.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    I think it rains a lot more in lowbie zones. And on EK, come to think of it. Weather effects kind of peter out as you go on.

Yeah, when I think of rain, I always think of it in Elwynn.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Then it hit me fast.

See: Trial of the Crusader

"hey someone come duel me outside for a few minutes so I can restock"*

*this was before I realized the dummies on the tournament grounds worked as well.

Anub'Arak in particuar can die in a fire since you can't even get out of the goddamn instance without tabard/portal/leaving raid and that's usually when you need soul shards.

But you already knew that. 8-)

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    With the removal of hunter ammo I wonder if something will happen with soul shards too.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    With the removal of hunter ammo I wonder if something will happen with soul shards too.

Yes, they're becoming an UI element.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

They already announced the soul shard changes.

Basically
    - You get 3 shards
    - (Only) one ability uses them, which empowers the next spell you use.
    - You can only gain shards out of combat.
    - Shards are a UI thing and don't take bag space (a little bit like runes).

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Basically
    - You get 3 shards

:oops: There ya go. I probably should have known that.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Basically
    - You get 3 shards

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

The other half is shitloads of resilience.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Basically
    - You get 3 shards

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

The other half is shitloads of resilience.

Clearly that's what I was doing wrong. :lol:

Mutilate on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never advocated removing auctioneers or repairmen. In fact, when it comes to repairing your gear, I did mention that it's actually good game design and explained why. Perhaps you missed that post because you were too busy vomiting your goosery all over the place?

Your "explanation" is possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever read. "Choosing" not to repair is the same thing as "choosing" to stop playing the game. There is no choice. It's exactly equivalent to taking the money from you. You are the one completely missing the point. The NPC interaction is put in for a reason.

Also stop calling me a liar when you advocate shallow game mechanics with no justification and a childlike naivete regarding "choice". You chose to carry a mining pick, lol? No, a developer chose to make it required for the profession, chose to make you go to a forge to smelt and chose you make you go to an anvil to make items. For the purpose of immersion.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also they've implied that the out of combat abilities (summoning portals, healthstones, and soulstones) simply won't require a shard.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, actually, I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated it, but yeah. :P

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Your "explanation" is possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever read. "Choosing" not to repair is the same thing as "choosing" to stop playing the game. There is no choice. It's exactly equivalent to taking the money from you. You are the one completely missing the point. The NPC interaction is put in for a reason.

You so completely miss the point. Of course it's not a real choice, that's why I used the goddamn quotation marks in the first place. Allowing this "choice" has a much less negative psychological impact on the player than just yanking money from him. It's the same reason why you get rested exp rather than gain "exp sickness" or whatever.
    Also stop calling me a liar when you advocate shallow game mechanics with no justification and a childlike naivete regarding "choice".

You're advocating poor game design for no other reason than some vague notion of "immersion". Also, you're a liar.
    You chose to carry a mining pick, lol? No, a developer chose to make it required for the profession, chose to make you go to a forge to smelt and chose you make you go to an anvil to make items. For the purpose of immersion.

The mining pick is a requirement for the profession, which I willingly chose. Smelting and such, also parts of a profession that I willingly chose. These are perfectly fine ways of adding your oh so venerated "immersion" without needlessly punishing the player. Whatever bag space and travel time you forfeit, you do so willingly.

reVerse on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any discussion about MMO game mechanics that does not presume that everyone other than Blizz somehow fucked up is just dumb. Of the existing market of subscribers to MMO's, Bliz owns the souls of 11.5 million+. They're doing it right.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Right or wrong I think reVerse has a good grasp of what's a false choice. I disagree that vendoring greys is a false choice because it does force you to make choices sometimes. For example: my bags are full. Do I dump my lowest value greys and get more uptime, or do I go back to clear my bags and get more money? Repairing is definitely a false choice.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Right or wrong I think reVerse has a good grasp of what's a "false choice". I disagree that vendoring greys is a false choice because it does force you to make choices sometimes. For example: my bags are full. Do I dump my lowest value greys and get more uptime, or do I go back to clear my bags and get more money?

I'm not saying vendoring grays is a false choice. It's definitely a choice deciding which items is worth the least and then dumping that. I'm just saying that the whole concept of gray items is pointless, not fun and hence poor design.

Statement made with all the requisite "in my opinion" disclaimers in place.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The correct answer is to delete that character and start a new one!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually, the hearthstone *could* be moved to the spellbook, freeing up an inventory space. Everyone has one, so that'd be completely doable, and would remove the problems that come from losing yours. Make it a quest you have to do at level 5.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As a former Shaman player I only kept my hearthstone so that I could bounce around the world even faster/easier.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Samphis wrote: »
    Actually, the hearthstone *could* be moved to the spellbook, freeing up an inventory space. Everyone has one, so that'd be completely doable, and would remove the problems that come from losing yours. Make it a quest you have to do at level 5.

See, this here is a perfectly good idea. Freeing up needlessly wasted bag space by improving the game.

In fact, this idea is so good I wonder how come it isn't one of the big Cataclysm changes coming up. Someone go post it on the US official forums (mostly because I want to see how many people are completely opposed to the idea because "omg casuls ruin teh game").

reVerse on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As a former Shaman player I only kept my hearthstone so that I could bounce around the world even faster/easier.

Since my main is a Shaman, I have Astral Recall glyphed, hearthstone, the Red Ruby Slippers from Kara, and I'm working on the Tabard for the Tournament. Maybe I'll buy the ring to go to Dal. There's no such thing as too many ways to get back home........ :D

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nah, you should get your hearthstone crafted from an epic quest chain at 30. Until then walk!
    :evil:

jackal on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Right or wrong I think reVerse has a good grasp of what's a "false choice". I disagree that vendoring greys is a false choice because it does force you to make choices sometimes. For example: my bags are full. Do I dump my lowest value greys and get more uptime, or do I go back to clear my bags and get more money?

I'm not saying vendoring grays is a false choice. It's definitely a choice deciding which items is worth the least and then dumping that. I'm just saying that the whole concept of gray items is pointless, not fun and hence poor design.

Statement made with all the requisite "in my opinion" disclaimers in place.

Grey Items are a way for shit to drop money when it wouldn't make sense for them to drop money.

It's immersion.

It's also kinda neat since you can dump it all when you get back to town for a big chunk of money.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Grey Items are a way for shit to drop money when it wouldn't make sense for them to drop money.

It's immersion

"Why did this boar drop a Jeweled Sword of the Wolf?"

"Immersion" and "when you kill shit, they drop fancy things" don't really go together all that well.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    shryke wrote: »

It's immersion

"Why did this boar drop a Jeweled Sword of the Wolf?"

Clearly he used it to cut up all the tubers he was digging up.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I could see a wolf dropping a jeweled ring. As well as some suspicious looking bones... ;-)

The swords and crap are definitely full of o_O

End on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope they fix the problem where most animals are livng without vital organs such as brains.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I kill an entire boar and I only get enough food for one meal! Preposterous!

edit: Actually for boar that is probably being generous...

jackal on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I hope they fix the problem where most animals are livng without vital organs such as brains.

Like, I could see vital organs not dropping sometimes because you mangled or destroyed them while killing the creature, but some of them are just silly. Like orcs without blood, Murlocs without heads, humanoids that routinely possess fewer than two ears, etc.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should all just get it overwith and play Progress Quest

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Charus wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Like, I could see vital organs not dropping sometimes because you mangled or destroyed them while killing the creature, but some of them are just silly. Like orcs without blood, Murlocs without heads, humanoids that routinely possess fewer than two ears, etc.

This. I would much prefer a system where the creature always drops what you need but sometimes it's not usable. You need 17 Fel Boar Bladders but instead of not getting them sometimes you get ruptured, or sliced or punctured or imploded etc etc.

Mutilate on
This discussion has been closed.