As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FIST POST IS NOW UPDATED WITH FULL INFORMATION

again, if you want to be a gym leader, please PM me and we'll talk. to those that have PM'd me, I'll write back once I get enough "applicants"
    I've gotten 4 people to contact me so far, so, I'm at least 8 away from making this happen!

thespiffyneostar on
  • lindethierlindethier Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    <3 this idea.

lindethier on
    1386815.png
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure about allowing the Challengers to have two Uber Pokemon on their team. If the Gym Leaders and E4 are using themed teams, they are already at a disadvantage. All it takes is one Choice Scarf'd Ho-oh (or any other Uber with crazy Speed and Atk/SpA) to completely sweep--and ruin--a team.

Gameshark on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe allow just one Uber, as if the player were going through a game without having traded for any others?

BrennaCeDria on
    edited April 2010
    The reason why I say 2 is because there are usually 2 non-tradeable legendaries that people will have/want to use... I'll consider revising this. I'm just trying to make this open for a lot of people to try without having to shuffle up their teams just to compete, you know what I mean?

Back in ruby, I rolled with (and still do roll with) a latios and a groudon in my party. neither are EV trained or crazy good, but I still used them. Now in soul silver, I use no legendaries.
    the reason I said 2 again is so that someone who only has one set of level 100s will be likely to be able to just hear about this at PAX and be able to track down gym leaders an compete, not stand back and watch because they use one too many legendary. (or in this case uber, because not everyone is a cheap-ass with wobbufett)

also, I'm counting on people who do know these allotments to follow wheaton's law with legendaries.

thespiffyneostar on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is level 100 necesary when you can scale down to 50?

PeasantDave on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For the buttons, we could use the PureButtons.com and get the little 1" buttons. I think the only way to do this is to have gym leaders and e4 members buy their own buttons since it will run $27 for a batch of 100 of the cheap ones.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You can also scale up to 100 so I don't see the point of insisting on lvl 100 pokemon.

Also, I will NEVER level my pokemon to 100 because that takes away all my options for EV customization. The highest I get my pokemon is lvl85 before I retire them :-/

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    For the buttons, we could use the PureButtons.com and get the little 1" buttons. I think the only way to do this is to have gym leaders and e4 members buy their own buttons since it will run $27 for a batch of 100 of the cheap ones.

That is the current plan.
    tehnakki wrote: »

You can also scale up to 100 so I don't see the point of insisting on lvl 100 pokemon.

Also, I will NEVER level my pokemon to 100 because that takes away all my options for EV customization. The highest I get my pokemon is lvl85 before I retire them :-/

also, I feel having all level 100s will be good, since as mentioned you can scale up. and why scale down when you can scale up?
    also, not everyone is an EV training fanatic.

still need more people to lead gyms and be elite four members...

thespiffyneostar on
  • VenerableMonsterVenerableMonster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This sounds like a lot of fun. I'd potentially interested in participating as a challenger. It'd mean I'd have to start playing again and level a team. Oh well, I was interested in picking up Soul Silver anyways.

VenerableMonster on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

They ship to Canada? I'd be down for getting some. (50 instead of 100 though.)
    tehnakki wrote: »

also, I feel having all level 100s will be good, since as mentioned you can scale up. and why scale down when you can scale up?
    also, not everyone is an EV training fanatic.

still need more people to lead gyms and be elite four members...[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can scale it to level 50 or level 100 whenever you go to start a battle, so no one is forced to raise their Pokemon up to level 100 for PAX.

In regards to the Uber stuff, I can see people using one Uber as fine by me. If someone *really* likes Ho-oh, Mewtwo, etc., then it shouldn't be an issue. Like you said, we just have to hope people aren't dicks about it.

On another topic, is this going to be an event where people have to go out and actively look for a gym leaders? I'm going to be rolling around with my buddies most of the time, but I can always ditch them for an hour or so each day for some organized Pokemon battles. Also, I'll be using twitter a lot during the event. If I'm ever in line for something I can always tweet where I'm at for people to come find me :)

Oh, something else in regards to the E4. How many badges does someone need before they're able to face them? I know you're still looking for people to join as gym leaders/E4--and I really hope other people volunteer! Will the challengers need all 8 badges before they can challenge the E4, or once you get say 5-6 you can go find them? I can see it as getting very difficult/frustrating for someone to try and get all the badges then find the E4. E4 members may have to wait until Sunday before they start getting challengers.

Gameshark on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gameshark wrote: »

They ship to Canada? I'd be down for getting some. (50 instead of 100 though.)
    That might not be enough for a gym leader. If you run out and can't award people for defeating you, it would be a bit unfair if people couldn't make it to the e4 because of that.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2010
    Gameshark wrote: »

Oh, something else in regards to the E4. How many badges does someone need before they're able to face them? I know you're still looking for people to join as gym leaders/E4--and I really hope other people volunteer! Will the challengers need all 8 badges before they can challenge the E4, or once you get say 5-6 you can go find them? I can see it as getting very difficult/frustrating for someone to try and get all the badges then find the E4. E4 members may have to wait until Sunday before they start getting challengers.

what I'd LIKE to have is about 12 gym leaders and only need 8 badges of the available 12.

I would want no more than that, as there are only like 17 pokemon types, so any more and there would be duplicates...

as for using twitter to announce location, that'd be good. there will also probably be an hour or 2 a day in the sumo lounges for PPL play.

also, I think about 100 buttons would be good. if they run out, I'll think of a fast backup plan ahead of time...

UPDATE: I've got 7 people so far interested, meaning with 4 more there would be just barely enough, but MORE IS BETTER! if you are interested please just send me a PM and I'll get back to you when there are enough people to get this going forward.

thespiffyneostar on
  • John_FN_SeilerJohn_FN_Seiler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If nobody has called it, I would like to be the Leader for Poison.

John_FN_Seiler on
    Listen to Spoiler Alert on KSUA 91.5FM at http://ksua.uaf.edu/ Every Tuesday 8 PM-10PM (9-11 PM Pacific). It's a Talk show about games, movies, comics, wrestling, TV and everything in between.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spoiler-Alert-KSUA-915-FM/129190520480743
    edited April 2010
    If nobody has called it, I would like to be the Leader for Poison.

I believe that position is taken.
    bret-main.jpg

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited April 2010
    that girl is...

thespiffyneostar on
  • ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would definitely be interested in fighting, provided that it wouldn't take much time. Think there should be a limit on team size? 3 pokemon, say? Only for speed reasons.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »
    I would definitely be interested in fighting, provided that it wouldn't take much time. Think there should be a limit on team size? 3 pokemon, say? Only for speed reasons.

well, no gym leader is going to have a full team of 6. only some of the elite four will. challengers can have full teams of 6 though.

as I have said before, this is meant to be a challenge, but also accessible for anyone to be able to show up with a few pokemon and get a few badges.
    basically: beating one gym will be easy, but beating them all and the elite 4 will be moderately difficult.

thespiffyneostar on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »

well, no gym leader is going to have a full team of 6. only some of the elite four will. challengers can have full teams of 6 though.

as I have said before, this is meant to be a challenge, but also accessible for anyone to be able to show up with a few pokemon and get a few badges.
    basically: beating one gym will be easy, but beating them all and the elite 4 will be moderately difficult.

Counterproposal: Have the gym leaders set up a minimum team of 3 with optional extras, and allow the challenger to choose his level of difficulty (i.e. how many pokemon the gym leader uses). Maybe possible rewards for those who choose high difficulties at a lot of gyms?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2010
    I like the idea of having gym leaders have 3 pokemon, then the e4 having 4. This will keep it challenging, but not excessive. Also, I think it'd be a good idea to not allow the leaders or e4 to use items (especially since we probably wouldn't have enough items to use for every opponent, or it wouldn't be fair to use items on only some challengers).

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited April 2010
    I like the idea of having gym leaders have 3 pokemon, then the e4 having 4. This will keep it challenging, but not excessive. Also, I think it'd be a good idea to not allow the leaders or e4 to use items (especially since we probably wouldn't have enough items to use for every opponent, or it wouldn't be fair to use items on only some challengers).

no one can use items in linked battles.

my though is gym leaders have 3-4 pokemon (half with 3, half with 4)
    then elite four will have 4, 4, 5, 6 (in order of challenging them)
    thoughts?

ALSO: I need at least FOUR more people to make this happen.

thespiffyneostar on
  • emosquidemosquid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Volunteer leader checking in!

my though is gym leaders have 3-4 pokemon (half with 3, half with 4)
    then elite four will have 4, 4, 5, 6 (in order of challenging them)
    thoughts?

ALSO: I need at least FOUR more people to make this happen.

I think those numbers sound good.

I would suggest posting what types have been claimed in the OP or something. Or post what isn't taken, maybe entice some people? I picked Bug, for those who care.

One more random thing: As far as recognizing leaders ect, the first thing I thought of was some kind of armband. Just my two cents though.

emosquid on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would prefer to take Dark or Rock.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to wait and sort out types once we have enough people.

just simply getting enough people is the main consideration.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited April 2010
    emosquid wrote: »
    One more random thing: As far as recognizing leaders ect, the first thing I thought of was some kind of armband. Just my two cents though.
    That's a solid idea to make leaders and e4 stand out, but adding additional cost may not be reasonable. Perhaps we could have each of the gym leaders and e4 upload a good pic of themselves for the OP, maybe even an updated one each day for changes of clothes.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • VenerableMonsterVenerableMonster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You could just do the armband as a strip of red fabric tied around their arm. This would not cost money. Fabric scraps at Joannes are basically free.

VenerableMonster on
  • John_FN_SeilerJohn_FN_Seiler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have a armband with the symbol of your gym badge on it.

Also, the update a picture each day is a good idea

John_FN_Seiler on
    Listen to Spoiler Alert on KSUA 91.5FM at http://ksua.uaf.edu/ Every Tuesday 8 PM-10PM (9-11 PM Pacific). It's a Talk show about games, movies, comics, wrestling, TV and everything in between.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spoiler-Alert-KSUA-915-FM/129190520480743
  • emosquidemosquid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You could just do the armband as a strip of red fabric tied around their arm. This would not cost money. Fabric scraps at Joannes are basically free.

That's basically what I was thinking, nothing too fancy. Maybe we could stick one of the badges/pins on the band. The picture idea would be good in combination.

Also, I have some red cloth left over from a costume, I could probably make a few bands out of that if someone needs one.

emosquid on
  • geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This idea sounds pretty awesome. My only concern is that some gym leaders may run out of badges...

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

no one can use items in linked battles.

Not a real gym battle unless the leader uses a full restore the second the pokemon you were grinding down reaches low health :mrgreen:

Gentlemanne on
    edited April 2010
    geeeeoffff wrote: »
    This idea sounds pretty awesome. My only concern is that some gym leaders may run out of badges...
    I think if each leader has 100 badges, they're pretty safe for not running out. Beyond that, if they do run out, you don't need all the badges to move on to the e4. But this thread is pretty much the only place this game will be advertised, apart from the gym leaders themselves while at PAX, so I don't think it'll be that mind-blowingly popular.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited April 2010
    yeah, I'm thinking 100 will be enough per gym leader especially if there are arroun 10 gym leaders and you'll only need 8 badges, so with some quick math.... that's 125 challengers. I doubt there would be that many more...

also, just as an update, I haven't written back to PMs yet about gym leaders/elite four members because I still need 2 more people.
    I'm hoping to get a few of you to come out of the woodwork to help make this happen.

once I've got 2 more, expect replies.

also, I'll probably just be checking back weekly now, life is going to be busy for a few weeks...

thespiffyneostar on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So wait, Gym leaders are 3-4 pokemon of a given type theme while the challenger has 6 pokemon of diverse types with 1 possible uber?

Am I correct in understanding this?

I know this is for fun but that sounds a bit rapeface'd for the Gym leaders. Just sayin'

cocowoushi on
    edited April 2010
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    So wait, Gym leaders are 3-4 pokemon of a given type theme while the challenger has 6 pokemon of diverse types with 1 possible uber?

Am I correct in understanding this?

I know this is for fun but that sounds a bit rapeface'd for the Gym leaders. Just sayin'

The idea, as in the games, is not for the gym leaders to be unbeatable. Keep in mind that Pokémon can have multiple types, and can sometimes use moves that are super effective against a type that's super effective against it, such as a water pokémon using dig against an electric type.

The leaders should be a challenge, but a capable, well rounded challenger should be able to beat them.

thespiffyneostar, please correct me if you had a different idea in mind, as this is all my opinion, but seems most reasonable.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let me just start by saying that I think it's awesome what you have started here. I'm elbow deep in SS right now, and am just takin baby steps to EV training my lvl 100 team.

I have some ideas for this, and if all goes to plan, I should have at least a few lvl 100s for this event. Let me know if you need an extra Gym Leader/ E4 Member. I mean, I'd rather come as a challenger, but if it comes down to it and you need an extra, I'm here for you.

Also, have you thought about letting Khoo know about this? If he tells Gabe, or can get even a single post on the front page about this, you could have more volunteers than you'd know what to do with... and if you do:

Could you potentially get enough people act as multiple Gym Leaders to cover shifts in the handheld lounge, so that no one is pinned there to cover their duties as Gym leader? Or even have some overlap, so that we can have more than one gym battle per gym at a time? IIRC, the battles can take up to 5-10 minutes, averaging six minutes per, that means that over three hours, we can only have about 30 challengers per gym, per day.

I'm not sure how much time there is between the hall closing and the concerts, but it would be pretty sucky for the Gym Leaders and E4 to have to be there the whole time, but might be less of a pill to swallow if they could divide the shifts between 3 or more "duplicate" gym leaders. (Maybe they have the same lineups, maybe not)

The other concern that I had was with the E4 all having their Sundays destroyed by the lineup of would be champions waiting for a shot at them. If everyone had to play the same four dude(tte)s, then the time consumption for those four would be quite high.

These are just a couple ideas I had kicking around, so if you don't want to address them, that's cool too. If you need any help organizing, please feel free to IM me or whatever...

HD

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The idea, as in the games, is not for the gym leaders to be unbeatable.

Wasn't suggesting unbeatable status, just hopefully the Leaders not getting rolled by one pokemon with a single super effective move, especially when uber/legendaries are allowed.

cocowoushi on
  • hugemarginoferrhugemarginoferr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Im pretty new to PAX in general. but I have alot of time on my hands, now and during PAX. I could probably put together a GL team pretty easily.

Count me in if you need another GYM leader!!!

plus thisll help me meet all of you, maybe, possibly

hugemarginoferr on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would just like to say that I'm already starting to put together my team, so I'd like to change what I sent in my PM to you from "tentative" to "definitely" for Steel Gym Leader.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • VonXWolfensteinVonXWolfenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would want to do an Eevee Gym, but that really would not fall into the each gym leader picking a type.....:)

VonXWolfenstein on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hi there! Not to derail this thread, but I'm going to do just that.

I saw this thread a couple weeks ago and thought "this isn't for me." But I've got a DS and I'm looking for a new challenge. Maybe my initial call was right (and this really isn't for me), but I'd like to give it a fair shot before looking the other way. Maybe this could be a fun thing to try, right? I know there is a lot of excitement from a lot of people in this thread, and I've really Really tried to figure out what it would take to make this happen for me, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Maybe my alcohol-addled brain is far too far gone to figure it out, or (more likely) there is a TON of backstory (ie. years of previously released product) that I'm not familiar with. One would hope that the OP was written towards the interested (but less-than-fanatical) gamer. In my (probably unimportant) opinion, this is not true. So, could someone use VERY SMALL WORDS and tell me:

1. What game should I buy/learn/complete if I wanted to participate in this event? Assume I only have time to buy/play/learn ONE game, not play through the entire series. (For the sake of argument, you may also assume the player is a reasonably skilled gamer familiar with CCGs, and is equipped with a full quiver of console/handheld gaming systems.)

2. Is this an event which a "mere mortal" could participate in and have fun?

3. What exactly is a "gym leader" and an "elite member"? (From context, I'm assuming this is a rank you achieve whilst playing the aforementioned game?)

4. How would one go about becoming a "challenger" and what would be expected from them?

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully this info can end up in the OP at some point.

Stupid on

26904.png
This discussion has been closed.