As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pioneer A/V Receiver shuts off at random

GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM!ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Title summarizes it pretty well. Our A/V receiver (this one to be exact) has over the last few days started to shut off at random without any warning or explanation. It doesn't matter what function we're using, whether it's using our Shaw DVR or watching a blu-ray or plugging in our iPod, it will shut off. Either 10 seconds after we turn it back on or a few minutes. I've looked in the back and all the wires seem to be in good shape. We haven't done anything to it that would cause it to act up like this, and we've owned it without any problems for the last five months or so.

I read on the product site that sometimes it will overload and shut off, but it also says that the display should say 'OVERLOAD' on it before it does. It doesn't do that. It will just shut off without any warning. Everything else stays on.

What the fuck do I do?

GreasyKidsStuff on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    assuming it's out of warranty, take it to a hifi guy to get it fixed.

it might be worth calling pioneer first anyway to see if it's a known problem or if there's anything they can do

edit: if it was a recent purchase made with a credit card try calling your card issuer too, because sometimes they'll extend the warranty automatically

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I can't find any tech support number from Future Shop (where I bought it), so I'll just call the Pioneer line tomorrow.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My old receiver would shut off randomly and from what I could tell it was due to overheating. Moved it from the bottom shelf to the top and everything worked fine after that.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The thing that strikes me as odd about that is that we have not done anything different with it in the past five months, and it just decides now to start turning off randomly. Not sure why it would start to overheat now.

That could very well be it though, I dunno.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There are four things that could be causing this to happen:

1. The amp is over heating.

2. The speakers are the wrong impedance (4 Ohms instead of 8).

3. You have too many speakers connected to a channel.

4. There is a damaged wire somewhere.

These kinds of problems do often show themselves immediately, but every once in a while an amplifier will put up with a little bit of pushing until it just gives in.

Before you take it in anywhere, disconnect ALL speaker wires from the amplifier, and see if it still demonstrates the problems you're describing. If it appears to operate normally, reconnect one speaker at a time, testing low and high volume levels before adding more speakers.

If the amplifier still keeps turning itself off with no speakers, take it to a repair shop. Pioneer will have information on their website as to the locations of their authorized service centers in your area.

If the amplifier turns itself off only once you've got speakers connected to it, check their impedance, and check the wiring of the speaker that caused it to stop working.

Hope these tips help.

Rderdall on
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dust and heat, my friend. Dust and heat.

meeker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1. Checked the wires, nothing seems out of place or frayed or unplugged or suspicious.

2. Speaker settings haven't been changed as far as I know. Again, 5 months without issues.

3. Gave everything a dust and a sweep just to be sure.

I think I had it going for about 15 minutes before it shut off again. I e-mailed Pioneer, this is ridiculous.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have that exact same receiver.

The only time I've had it shut off on its own is if I turn it on with a different remote. For example, when I turn on my Panasonic plasma, the receiver will come on as well, but only briefly and it then turns off. When I turn it on with its own remote it always stays on.

I would go with trying the rest of what Rderdell said
    Rderdall wrote: »

2. The speakers are the wrong impedance (4 Ohms instead of 8).

4. There is a damaged wire somewhere.

Before you take it in anywhere, disconnect ALL speaker wires from the amplifier, and see if it still demonstrates the problems you're describing. If it appears to operate normally, reconnect one speaker at a time, testing low and high volume levels before adding more speakers.

If the amplifier still keeps turning itself off with no speakers, take it to a repair shop. Pioneer will have information on their website as to the locations of their authorized service centers in your area.

If the amplifier turns itself off only once you've got speakers connected to it, check their impedance, and check the wiring of the speaker that caused it to stop working.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Heh, so I guess I didn't look in the right spot for any frayed wires, did some snooping again and I found this.
    IMG_2895.jpg

Re-connected it, seemed like it fixed the issue. We'll see what happens with some extended use.

GreasyKidsStuff on