As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] Ghost donkey earns $2 million in four hours

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Big Macs are gross, and I feel gross after eating one (which is why I haven't eaten one in years), but they are indeed delicious. It's white bread, (possibly greasy) beef, salt, and a sugary sauce. How could that not be delicious. We are practically genetically designed to seek all of that stuff out.

jackal on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    The hypothetical situation is usually some extremely obese person getting a super-sized meal, but holding the good stuff like tomatoes and lettuce...

Why would anyone do that? Tomatoes and all that green stuff is yummy yum yum.

This whole conversation is exposing me to scary and weird (American?) ideas and customs.

reVerse on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »
    I mean when is it a good idea for anyone to eat a Big Mac?

Meh, they won't kill you.

The hypothetical situation is usually some extremely obese person getting a super-sized meal, but holding the good stuff like tomatoes and lettuce, and doubling the bacon and cheese. They also get a diet coke to top it all off.

Saying the person has diabetes as if the 25 or so grams of sugar are the worst part of that whole equation.

The bread probably has more sugar than the soda, and they'll likely have to shoot up insulin anyways as a result.

I was just being satirical. The first thing people think of when they see someone get fast food and a diet drink is "el oh el look at the fatty trying to cut calories". In reality they may not care about the calories but they do care about the sugars. While white bread is loaded with carbs and sugars it has nothing on high fructose corn syrup. Or maybe they just don't like the corn syrup taste. I can't drink regular soda anymore because it tastes terrible to me.

Mutilate on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think I've ever derailed a conversation this severely.

Or deliciously.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They shouldn't be eating the big mac and supersized fries then either.

Salt, cholesterol, fat -- those are bad for a person with diabetes just as much as the minuscule amount of sugar in sodas are.

Their doctor would probably rather them drink normal soda than eat that monstrosity.

Now I'm no health nut, but I think your pushing your luck with that statement. Mostly its just plain wrong.

Salt is not bad for someone with diabetes or most people, its bad for someone with a pre-existing heart condition (READ: Salt does not give you heart disease.)

Cholestrol does not interact with diabetes in any appreciable way, its simply bad for you based on your body's ability to process it.

Fat are not good for Diabetics but not in the same way sugars are. Fat isn't going to turn your blood into acid.

Carbs & Sugars, things that non-diet Soda has in extreme excess, will be directly detrimental to a diabetic and generally unhelpful to regular people too.

Telling a diabetic that a Soda is a better choice than a big mac is like suggesting a Gun in lieu of a knife for self-destruction.

Most diabetic diets have to monitor fat, cholesterol, and protein intake as well. The can contribute, just not nearly as much as sugar. The salt is an issue because diabetes just wreaks havoc on your organs. So your heart, kidneys, liver, teeth, eyes, lungs are all at risk from complications from not following a good diet.

But you're absolutely right, sugar is the worst part of it. Though, like I said, the least concerning part of it is probably the soda, which can be accounted for and controlled relatively easily if you're not a moron.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually a large coke has more total carbs than a big mac, and unlike a big mac where it is only <20% sugar, the coke is of course 100% sugar.
    Edit: 86g/86g vs 47g/8g to be exact.

jackal on
    edited April 2010

Or deliciously.

Sometimes you just need a break from the [Chat]aclysm.

Mutilate on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Or deliciously.
    It is good work, fine sir.

815165 on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a shame I just ate some megadelicious Thai food, because I haven't had a Big Mac in forever. Now I want one.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    The hypothetical situation is usually some extremely obese person getting a super-sized meal, but holding the good stuff like tomatoes and lettuce...

Why would anyone do that? Tomatoes and all that green stuff is yummy yum yum.

This whole conversation is exposing me to scary and weird (American?) ideas and customs.

This is a pretty common occurrence. Our fat people tend to not like healthy things.

You and I might indulge in a big mac with tomato or lettuce (I hate tomatoes btw, but am okay with onions and everything else) but the hypothetical (I've seen a few people like this while working at burger king, they're not fake hypothetical) person just doesn't like it because it's healthy or is not sweet enough.

I'm sure you've probably get similar people in Finland. Most of the US isn't like this, at all, most of us are probably comparable in health and size to Europe.

I was actually called on it once at a place I worked.

The guy had diabetes and told me, "I have diabetes jerk, I can't drink normal soda."

To which I responded, "You probably wouldn't have gotten diabetes if you didn't eat like that."

Shitty thing is, I'll probably develop diabetes just because it runs in my family. I remember having to eat a diabetic diet all my life. Good lord. My dad is great though, he keeps up on it all and tries to stay healthy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2010
    It's a shame I just ate some megadelicious Thai food, because I haven't had a Big Mac in forever. Now I want one.
    Why is Thai food always so dry? Or do the Thai places round here suck.

815165 on
    edited April 2010
    It's not supposed to be, some dishes are incredibly dry though.

bowen on
    edited April 2010
    I like Thai all right. I usualy get it because I love Thai Iced Tea. It is filled with win.

Mutilate on
    edited April 2010
    Wait just a minute! Big Macs don't have tomatoes on them in the first place, crazy heads!

jackal on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shitty thing is, I'll probably develop diabetes just because it runs in my family. I remember having to eat a diabetic diet all my life. Good lord. My dad is great though, he keeps up on it all and tries to stay healthy.

Diabetes runs in my family as well (and, well, in quite a few families in Finland), and I'm very close to catching it. Been on some meds and greatly reducing my sugar intake for the last year or so, but it might still grab me at some point. Bonus: been losing a lot of weight with nothing but a diet change. Shit, someone should've told me losing weight is that easy years ago.

Anyway, how 'bout that WoW?

Uninstalled that yesterday. Yessiree. Last time I went two weeks before I had the urge to shoot things with my Hunter again.

reVerse on
    edited April 2010
    I will, more than likely, be reinstalling this Sunday. I have mixed emotions about it.

Mutilate on
    edited April 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Why is Thai food always so dry? Or do the Thai places round here suck.

I got a dish called Pad Prik, which is [meat], carrots, onions, mushrooms, and green peppers, with a sauce on it, served on white rice. Mine was actually more watery than usual, which was weird. The curry dishes are dry, but I don't really like curry.

edit: I took a nice 2.5 week vacation from WoW to go up north and relax. When I came back I just didn't want to play WoW. It was nice. WoW is one of those games that is such a pain in the ass to install that I never want to have to do it again, so it's a permanent fixture in my computer.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited April 2010
    Same reVerse, I'm cutting out a lot of sugar, though I still indulge every now and then.

Man I could go for a milkshake. That does not agree with my lactose intolerance, but god damn are they good.

bowen on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *blinks* Which thread am I in?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    You're in the chat thread. How a [WoW] got into our chat thread title is beyond me.

Beyond Normal on
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »
    *blinks* Which thread am I in?

The World of Eating Better Thread.

Mutilate on
    edited April 2010
    [McDs] [Chat] New iced coffees earn $2 million in four hours

jackal on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got a magical ghost donkey in my Happy Meal!

And diabetes!
    And childhood obesity!

YAY!

L Ron Howard on
    edited April 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    [McDs] [Chat] New iced coffees earn $2 million in four hours

:^:

bowen on
    edited April 2010
    Those Frappes are pertty awesome. I have a weakness for frozen coffee drinks though.

Mutilate on
    edited April 2010
    Wow there's no tomatoes on a big mac? Wow.

bowen on
    edited April 2010
    I used to work at a Tim Hortons and the iced cappuccinos used to make me feel sick. The iced coffee was good though, and now I make it at home.

Beyond Normal on
    edited April 2010

There aren't many burgers at McDonalds with tomatoes on them. I bet they think ketchup counts. Except there isn't ketchup on a Big Mac so...

Beyond Normal on
    edited April 2010
    As far as fast food goes, it always felt like McDonalds was phoning it in.

bowen on
    edited April 2010

There aren't many burgers at McDonalds with tomatoes on them. I bet they think ketchup counts. Except there isn't ketchup on a Big Mac so...

The machine they use to slice the tomatoes is actually pretty scary. They probably found that only a few items make enough money to make up for the teenagers that lose a finger.

jackal on
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can not eat greens all day and still be healthy. There are plenty of great recipes involving chicken and other tasty meals that are very healthy.

Bowen, you realize there are two types of diabetes right? Not everyone has diabetes because they're a lard ass. Some people are genetically diabetic.

Bikkstah on
    edited April 2010

The machine they use to slice the tomatoes is actually pretty scary. They probably found that only a few items make enough money to make up for the teenagers that lose a finger.

Is it like the bagel machines they use at Panera and Einsteins? The sound those machines make is the stuff of nightmares.

Mutilate on
    edited April 2010
    Aren't loads of people allergic to tomatoes or something? Either way gherkins are way cooler.

815165 on
    edited April 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    You can not eat greens all day and still be healthy. There are plenty of great recipes involving chicken and other tasty meals that are very healthy.

Bowen, you realize there are two types of diabetes right? Not everyone has diabetes because they're a lard ass. Some people are genetically diabetic.

Even between the two types of diabetes, it can be genetic. But this was a case of adult onset diabetes (he admitted to it -- no one in his family has it but him).

My father has Type2 - which is also adult onset, but it runs in our family so the genetic component plays into it for us.

Type1 is a rarity when people discuss diabetes in this day and age, because it's sad when kids get something like that.

bowen on
    edited April 2010

Is it like the bagel machines they use at Panera and Einsteins? The sound those machines make is the stuff of nightmares.

It is made of heavy steel. It has a large number of blades about half a cm apart each. The tomato is put in the center, and the user pushes the blades through the tomatoes by pushing quickly on a handle. It isn't secured to a table, so you have to secure it with your other hand. The problem is that someone can absent mindedly leave their thumb hanging down over the casing. That would result in a pretty gruesome situation. It may have been replaced because it has been over a decade since I have worked there.

I never actually saw anyone injury themselves with it, but I was told it was pretty much the most dangerous thing there. The worst injury I saw was when someone managed to dip part of their hand in the frier. Personally the worst I got was shocked by a freezer.

jackal on
    edited April 2010
    That does not sound like the same thing then.

Mutilate on
    edited April 2010

The bagel thing is pretty much a band saw with a bread knife blade isn't it?

jackal on
    edited April 2010
    They use something different at burger king:

nemco-566001-3-16-easy-tomato-slicer-ii.jpg

bowen on
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's the tomato slicer I used back when I worked at Hardee's. This is like, '95-'96. Had to do it quick, too, or the tomato would get smushed and you had to clean it out, which was a huge pain.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    edited April 2010

The bagel thing is pretty much a band saw with a bread knife blade isn't it?

Yeah, it has a shoot/hopper that you push the bagel down into. It makes the most amazing/terrible sound as the bagel is cut.

Mutilate on
This discussion has been closed.