As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breath of Death VII: Dem bones, Dem bones (UPDATE: Bugfix patch now available on XBL)

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning

Breath of Death is a new Xbox Live Indie Game made by our very own RainbowDespair and slash000. It's available on Xbox Live right now, and is only $1. Yah, one freakin' dollar. You should go buy it, right now. This deserves it's own OP, and I think the developers are to humble to do it themselves. Yes, it's been talked about in the XNA thread, and the XBLIG thread, and even the video game sales thread, but it's really quite OP worthy.

Okay, but what platforms is it on?
Only the 360, and there are no plans to port it according to RBD and slash.

Great, so, uhh, what is it?
It's a nostalgic 8-bit parody RPG. It's funny, and very nostalgic, while not being too nostalgic.

How did they make it?!
Microsoft XNA Game Studio. See the XNA thread for more info.

Ahhhhh, Sleep All crashes the game, and when I get in a fight in this mountain cave...
There is a bugfix patch available on XBL for these. Just start the game, it should apply itself. Your save game information won't be affected.

Trailers

Debut Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAj48iq4w8

Release Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pvg8I2rgI

Character Information
Dem - "(...Why is this happening to me?)"
demp1b.png
Self-proclaimed hero and reluctant party leader, Dem is so dumbfounded by the stupidity around him, he can't speak. It does make for quite the internal monologue though.

Sara - "Dem says that's a wonderful idea"
sarap1b.png
The bossy and self-assured catalyst of our epic adventure, Sara's face appears in the dictionary next to the word feisty.

Lita - "Ancient technology makes me hot"
litap1d.png
If technology is you're thing, than this vampire should be your next search on cupid.com. She is pretty much the anti-Sara, and can be quite pleasant.

Erik - "Le sigh"
erikp1c.png
Erik is ze token Frenchman in this grand story. Having grown up a royal brat, he maintains ze requisite personality.

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it on Live now?

I checked a couple days ago and it was still being certified or whatever.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it on Live now?

I checked a couple days ago and it was still being certified or whatever.

Yeah, it went up sometime yesterday, I believe, since that's when I bought it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, it went live yesterday afternoon.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2010
    We need to start getting a list of the available branching choices. I wasn't paying attention last night, so I'll have to start tonight.

GnomeTank on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't wait to download this.

I hope it has at least one character death....er...undeath....er....redeath?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Can't wait to download this.

I hope it has at least one character death....er...undeath....er....redeath?

Superdeath.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They should totally do a Let's Play of their own game.

It'd be like an entirely new way of doing director's commentary.

redraptor on
    edited April 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    They should totally do a Let's Play of their own game.

It'd be like an entirely new way of doing director's commentary.

Do it, Slash or Rainbow...you guys need to do a developer walkthrough or quick look or something.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The character Sara is extremely similar to my girlfriend.

Ya know, except the dead part.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well done guys. I bought this mainly to support my fellow PAers but didn't really have any expectations. So I'm pleasantly surprised to find out it's really fucking good. Love the graphics, really really love the combat and levelling system, love humour and the memes (Rex?)

Played about an hour so far and just got schooled by some ogres. Definitely going to finish it.

Cullen on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You have the old debut trailer. Here's the new launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pvg8I2rgI

We've been jumping up and down on the top rated list so I'm not sure where we'll stabilize, but right now we're the 3rd highest rated game of all time on XBox Live Indie Games. Only I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 and Miner Dig Deep have a higher average rating:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?d=7&r=-1&g=-1&mt=32&ot=0&sb=3&rl=0&p=1

To be honest, I'm a little shocked. I was hoping that the game would be well received, but #3 slot is amazing.

RainbowDespair on
    edited April 2010
    And for those of you that have read people bitchin' about the difficulty level:

The people complaining haven't even finished the first dungeon yet.

The difficulty increases very appropriately and even if you become over leveled for an area, the boss will still require strategy to beat. There was only point where I over-leveled intentionally just to test it out but I couldn't just spam the attack button with the boss. I still had to plan my moves accordingly.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love how "Storm the castles!" is really "Walk into the castles and wave to the guards."

Great trailers, guys.

Elvenshae on
    edited April 2010
    Updated with the release trailer.

GnomeTank on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man i really want to play this. no 360 though.

Ah_Pook on
    edited April 2010
    Very good work guys. I'm sure the fantastic cover art has something to do with the good reception, as it really pops amongst the usual mediocrity of XBLIG.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited April 2010
    "Spaceship looking thing on black background...

Random squares on black background...

Picture of ugly chick who thinks she's hot...

Bad font on white background...."

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    And for those of you that have read people bitchin' about the difficulty level:

The people complaining haven't even finished the first dungeon yet.

The difficulty increases very appropriately and even if you become over leveled for an area, the boss will still require strategy to beat. There was only point where I over-leveled intentionally just to test it out but I couldn't just spam the attack button with the boss. I still had to plan my moves accordingly.

Cosigned! I was initially hesitant about picking Normal over Hard (and let's be frank here: tiny 360 Indie game Breath of Death VII already wins major points over virtually every other JRPG in existence by giving different levels of difficulty!), but after getting through the first dungeon and being whomped by a random encounter after hitting the second town, the game leveled up and earned +30 Respect Points.

I've a soft spot for Dragon Quest in specific and old-school JRPGs in general, but this game here genuinely exceeds my expectations. It doesn't just coast on nostalgia; it's an actually engaging, refreshingly modern spin on a tried-and-true DQ-style battle engine. Very, very much like Guadia Quest in the sexcellent Retro Game Challenge: It looks anciently old-school, but only when you sit down to play do you really appreciate all of the modern concessions, like a run button (!!!), a dynamic combo-based battle system that borrows lovingly from Brave Story, and a bunch of fun, quirky nods to other JRPGs and games in general. I mean, fuck, there's a Paladin's Quest reference right in the beginning of the game. I thought I was the only person in existence who ever played that!

RainbowDespair and slash000: You guys deserve mad props, and I hope the game gets even more success and acclaim than it has in its first 24 hours. Already you're above one of the well-done Arkado Pixel games in terms of ratings, and I think you're actually the fifth or sixth highest-rated Indie Game on the freaking service! And I'm only about an hour in or so. Can't wait for Breath of Death VII-2: Return to the Beginning! <3<3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited April 2010
    Someone start a wikipedia page, stat!

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Don't know if you've been keeping tabs Rainbow or Slash...but BoDVII is getting some pretty fantastic praise over on Gaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342122&page=64

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I picked this up, I'm really liking it so far. I still kind of prefer 16 bit rpg's with their more animated battles, but that's not a complaint against the game since it's going for 8 bit.

Oh and you have no idea how much I love the fact that random battles in areas run out.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I've been looking for something to spend these 100 points on.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also: The game features party chat, which gives it one notch over DQIV DS! :rotate:

And I literally LOLed at one piece of dialogue in the first town:
    "Shepherd!" "Rex!"

So not expecting that. A few of the jokes here and there are a little too blunt for my tastes, but the lion's share of game and RPG nods and puns are well-done. <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been eyeing this on Marketplace for a little while now, had no idea it was made by people here. Crazy.

Guess I'll have to get it then!

hatedinamerica on
    edited April 2010
    Woohooo. I don't think you're going to catch IMGWZII soon, but being #2 is awesome.

GnomeTank on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had 40 MS points on LIVE. So I bought another 400 just so I could support you guys and play this game. Congratulations on getting this out there and the praise it's received so far :) !
    Any tips on what to buy for 360 MS points :P ?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Glad you guys are liking it! I'm just so happy that the ratings have been positive and people are enjoying this. It makes the whole process worthwhile :)

Fig-D wrote: »
    I had 40 MS points on LIVE. So I bought another 400 just so I could support you guys and play this game. Congratulations on getting this out there and the praise it's received so far :) !
    Any tips on what to buy for 360 MS points :P ?

I appreciate it! You can spend that other 400 points on other good games like Zomb1es, Miner Dig Deep, Shoot1Up, ZP2k9, Half Brick echoes, Groov, Solar, and some others.. There are some good $3 games too like Soul Caster, the Arkedo games, and some others I'm not remembering right now. But $5 can go a long way with the Xbox Indies!

slash000 on
  • BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've enjoyed what I've played so far, and have recommended it to a couple of friends that normally don't check out the indie stuff. I really like the level up choices I've had to make so far, each time I had to think about it for a moment.

Also, I have searched every pot in the first town and found no items. I guess the undead are usually monsters guarding treasure chests, and so are unaccustomed to the wide variety of storage options town living provides.

BigPointyTeeth on
    edited April 2010
    I'm playing this kind of straightforward with level ups right now, but I can already see myself going through at least once more just to do the more offbeat ones. +40 Strength for Sara, +30 Magic and Will for Dem sort of things.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I seriously wish I had a 360 right now. That looks awesomely awesome. A friend and I were playing Seiken Densetsu 3 co-op on an emulator not long ago - I still love that style of game.

Dig the music, too.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't have an X360 but would love to buy loads of copies just so I can gift them to people. Is this at all possible?

Impersonator on
    edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm playing this kind of straightforward with level ups right now, but I can already see myself going through at least once more just to do the more offbeat ones. +40 Strength for Sara, +30 Magic and Will for Dem sort of things.

...looks like I may not wait for the next time around.
    Level 12: Passive +1 Hit to Regular attacks
    Level 13: +40 Strength

She's currently hitting for something like ten less than Dem.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys got my dollar. I'm looking forward to it :)

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When I get back home, I am totally getting this.

blaze_zero on
    edited April 2010
    Holy fuck. You managed to throw a PSIV reference in to the first 10 minutes of the game. I love you all so much right now.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought. This going in front of Persona 4 and Fallout 3 on my RPG list.

solsovly on
    edited April 2010
    Holy fuck. You managed to throw a PSIV reference in to the first 10 minutes of the game. I love you all so much right now.
    The game is basically full of references.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The game is basically full of references.

Yeah, I get that. I'm mostly just happy that there's a PSIV reference. :mrgreen:

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, I don't know anything about it except that I've seen it in a sig or two on these forums but I like slash a lot so I'm going to buy it tonight when I get off work to show my support.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png