As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

20 Comics That Can Change Your Life

Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Graphic Violence
Not my opinion, just a link I stole from Fark.com

http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/nerveeditors/20comics/index.asp

True? False? Any glaring omissions?

Desktop Hippie on

• Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know, but it enticed me to buy Kabuki.

Pb on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As I was waiting for the list to load, I was gearing up my angry fanboy rant about how Alias should be on that list. And then, lo and behold, it's the first on it.

I'm content.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Inspired me to try out Transmetropolitan and Miraclemen - i'll get back to you.

Bit surprised about the omission of Watchmen tho.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They've missed out From Hell

THIS AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND, MAN

EDIT: Blow me down, there's no Kyle Baker there either.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Usagi Yojimbo.

You know, it's funny. If you were to ask me why I love Stan Sakai's work so much I couldn't give you an answer, and yet it's some of my favorite work ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rising Stars! Where is Rising Stars!!!

Ok, enough of that. Never read Zippy, I'll give it a shot. I will not, however, read Fantastic Four. Blech.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Rising Stars! Where is Rising Stars!!!

Ok, enough of that. Never read Zippy, I'll give it a shot. I will not, however, read Fantastic Four. Blech.
    Buh? That run is considered one of the greatest runs on any comic ever.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The list mentions Planetary, therefore gets my approval.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fantastic Four Issues #1-#102 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
    Back in the mid '60s, The Fantastic Four was a monthly guarantee that you could pay ten cents for twenty-some-odd pages and witness the most batshit insane spectacles imaginable. Outside of religious text and Greek epics, Four was the only place where you could see a building-sized, purple-crowned man descending from the sky and threatening to eat the planet, and where the only people who could stop him were invisible or on fire. It was unbridled imagination. Whenever I stop and consider anything that's ever entertained our generation, I can see Lee and Kirby's touch all over it. — JC

Yes

An inclusion this glorious almost makes up for the glaring omission of Watchmen.

Seriously, though, what's up with the fact Watchmen is missing?

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Watchmen is a good story

just not really life-changing

I wouldn't really say Fantastic Four is life changing, either. I'm not saying it's good, but when I think "life-changing", I think "actually makes you think differently than before"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To be fair, comics are probably one of the last things you can expect to change a person's life, regardless of quality.

Animal Man may've made me a vegetarian, though.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Watchmen is a good story

just not really life-changing

I wouldn't really say Fantastic Four is life changing, either. I'm not saying it's good, but when I think "life-changing", I think "actually makes you think differently than before"

I'd say that Watchmen actually is quite life-changing, if not for the public in general than at the very least for comic readers. It critizes so many of the fundamental aspects of superhero comics that it colors everything the reader has read before.

And, of course, many of those same criticisms can be applied to society at large. With it's political commentary, Watchmen is probably one of the more life-changing comics out there.

I agree with Fantastic Four, in a way. It's not really life-changing in the intellectual level. However, one could argue that it has a lot of impact in an imaginative way, just by showcasing so many incredible and awesome ideas, and could be potentially life-changing in that regard.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This just makes me all kinds of nostalgic for Miracle Man.

Like I'm thinking about going to my friend's house tomorrow to raid his back issues while he's in Spain.

Kimota.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Transmet is the reason I'm going to go into some writing courses and looking into journalism during college. Well, not the sole reason but I'd be nuts to not credit it.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Meh. Just never been excited about Fantastic Four. Could well be a great run, just not my style. As they say, different strokes for different folks.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The list is pretty decent. Blue Monday and Optic Nerve are what got me into more indie comics. Wouldn't say it changed my life, it just gave me more persepctive on my high school years. Planetary is pretty much the best stuff written in a while, all analyzing and deconstructing comics and blah blah. Good mix of stuff.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Change your life? Unlikely. Then again, a page titled "20 Comics That I think Are At Least Mildly Interesting" isn't gonna get many hits.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Bendis' Fortune and Glory is a good read. His conversational writing style works really well for that sort of autobiographical stuff. It's easy to forget now that there was a time when he was an "indie" guy who did his own art...

DMAC on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The list needs more The Invisibles and Stray Bullets.

muninn on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Needs Watchmen.

Glad Alias and Transmet were on it though.

I've put maybe the Green Arrow Green Lanters in there though.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    The list is pretty decent. Blue Monday and Optic Nerve are what got me into more indie comics. Wouldn't say it changed my life, it just gave me more persepctive on my high school years. Planetary is pretty much the best stuff written in a while, all analyzing and deconstructing comics and blah blah. Good mix of stuff.

optic nerve got me back into comics after a 15 year hiatus. love it.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd put a few of the more groundbreaking issues in comic history in there as well. Like the death of Gwen Stacy or perhaps Harry Osborn or Speedy's drug use.

Watchmen needs to be on there though. For personal reasons I'd like to see The Dark Knight Returns as well. That graphic novel is partially why I read comics today.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Watchmen, Swamp Thing, and Bone are all more affecting, sincere and intelligent than Persepolis. Just not as new.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    indy cred list

Algertman on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Some of Joe Sacco's work should be on that list. Palestine would be a good choice.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wasn't Usagi Yojimbo in tmnt?

Meiz on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh hey, Sandman is on there.

This list has some credibility then.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No Flex Mentallo?!

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure that Fantastic Four run got a pretty large number of today's comic creators into writing comics.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    The Maxx

graizur on
  • Options
    robocop is bleedingrobocop is bleeding Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Fantastic Four run got a pretty large number of today's comic creators into writing comics.

True, but I get the feeling that it's on the list mainly to give some background for Planetary. They wanted to include the latter, but knew that you couldn't just pick it up and get the most out of it without a knowledge of the Fantastic Four, so they dropped in FF 1-102 right before.

robocop is bleeding on

Waitsing.jpg
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

True, but I get the feeling that it's on the list mainly to give some background for Planetary. They wanted to include the latter, but knew that you couldn't just pick it up and get the most out of it without a knowledge of the Fantastic Four, so they dropped in FF 1-102 right before.
    Uh...no. Lee/Kirby's run is considered some of the best stuff ever in comics, I doubt they would just throw it in to add background to Planetary, which is also a fantastic series. It earns it's spot many times over.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just read some of the Optic Nerve series, im not a big comic guy but i was seriously moved by some of the stories.

Being a relative comic noob, i found it fantastic.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am shocked that Battle Pope and Tarot are not on that list. They both changed me very profoundly, they made me realize that good art talent can go to tremendous waste, not to mention the paper their printed on.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    matt7718 wrote: »
    I just read some of the Optic Nerve series, im not a big comic guy but i was seriously moved by some of the stories.

Being a relative comic noob, i found it fantastic.

pretty rare that art and writing can compliment each other so well. especially when its one dude doing both.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    robocop is bleedingrobocop is bleeding Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Uh...no. Lee/Kirby's run is considered some of the best stuff ever in comics, I doubt they would just throw it in to add background to Planetary, which is also a fantastic series. It earns it's spot many times over.

While I agree that Lee and Kirby should be on the list, I was questioning if the authors put them on the list for the wrong reasons. Like when a really talented actor wins an Oscar for his role in an otherwise crappy movie - sure, the actor deserves an Oscar, but not for that reason.

robocop is bleeding on

Waitsing.jpg
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where can one get Miracleman comics without an obscene price tag?

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

While I agree that Lee and Kirby should be on the list, I was questioning if the authors put them on the list for the wrong reasons. Like when a really talented actor wins an Oscar for his role in an otherwise crappy movie - sure, the actor deserves an Oscar, but not for that reason.

except that the fantastic four comics are excellent

not 'otherwise crappy'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where can one get Miracleman comics without an obscene price tag?

I didn't think you could.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    indy cred list

Lucifer, Hellboy, Hellblazer, War Stories, Fables V for Vendetta all come to mind. It basically reads like NPR's most wanted from the last year or so when it talks about comics with the addition of stuff from Gaiman et al to give it some sort of credibility.

So yeah, limed for truth.

siliconenhanced on