As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]abeetus

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah, big punishment being exiled from the haunted tree shunned by dragons.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have I missed something? Did people decide that rolling "need" in 5-mans (specifically, heroics @ 80) doesn't actually require you to "need" the item in the traditional sense?

I've been trying to gear up my DK, and the last item I needed (from non-raid content) was the bracers that drop from Garfrost, so I've been trying to do Pit of Saron pretty much every day.

Today, they finally drop...and the tank rolls need on it with me. He wins, and when I ask him about it declares "You can roll need if it's for off-spec in 5-man", which is something I've not only never done, but never heard of civilized people doing.

Dude was a huge douche, although I got him back by rolling on the axe the boss there drops and beating the entire group (4 people rolled for it, including the pally healer, tanking warrior, myself, and I think a hunter). I got the axe and convinced him to trade for it, so it worked out okay in the long run.

Still though, is this something I should be aware of from now on? Do he just roll need if we'd like to have something?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Were they all from the same server?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Were they all from the same server?

Nope.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like a bit of an aberration to me.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Sounds like a bit of an aberration to me.

I guess so. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some trend where it was just normal to need on whatever you wanted.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually its very common to need for your off-spec due to your main spec being raid geared most of the time, I mean, I would pass it to someone who is 200 epics and needed an upgrade to 232, but I would't pass it to some one who is blue geared, because I kinda carried him through the instance, and I don't know him, he ain't my friend, why do I carry him? I hate him....I hate him so freakin much...

So that why I steel his loot.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, you'd let the guy in epics get a thing, but that fresh 80 in quest greens and ilvl 187 blues can go fuck himself?

Isn't that somewhat backwards?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheOrange wrote: »
    Actually its very common to need for your off-spec due to your main spec being raid geared most of the time, I mean, I would pass it to someone who is 200 epics and needed an upgrade to 232, but I would't pass it to some one who is blue geared, because I kinda carried him through the instance, and I don't know him, he ain't my friend, why do I carry him? I hate him....I hate him so freakin much...

lol_wut.jpg

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I see someone, whose Gearscore is at least 500 below mine, roll Need on an item, I immediately also roll Need on it. If they wanted the privilege of winning the loot my superior Gearscore enabled them access to, they should've rolled up in ilvl264 epics.

I think all of that facetiousness caused me to pull a muscle.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think it's right, but it's obviously the way of the world. After 3-4 of these rolls, I just gave up and started needing off-spec gear. I'm one of the worst, since I'm queuing as tank and rolling the dps gear, too. I haven't had anyone object though.. as I said, it's just the way things are in my battle group. Wish there was a weekend raiding guild on Khadgar so I could roll w/ guildies instead of pugs.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Why even bring these scrub leeches when you can solo the instance yourself?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, the theory is, if he is in epix, he made an effort, if he isn't, he didn't.

I mean, I don't need to see all of his 17 slots epic, but I need to atleast see a crafted peice here and there, because otherwise he is as good as PvP leechers. We call them PvE leechers.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh I can solo the instance, I'm not kidding, I'm a pala tank :D but the badge per hour rate is better with a group.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah those motherfuckers. What a bunch of assholes. I mean, when I hit 80 a full set of icecrown epics materialised in my mailbox.
    Oh I can solo the instance, I'm not kidding, I'm a pala tank :D but the badge per hour rate is better with a group.

Then by all means do that, I'm sure you'll like it and everyone else won't have to deal with your silly goose bullshit.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010

How about I bar you from posting in this thread until you're an epic moderator instead of a scrub forumer?

edit: your PostScore is 32? Sheesh. Scrub. Get out of my thread.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh I seem to have came off like a douch, let me explain, when I reached 80, before I raided naxx, I farmed saronite and titan to craft myself an epic shield, and sold 3 bags worth so I can craft an epic ring. I'm not asking for a merical here, craft that titan bone crusher or something before you queue, I'm sure your main can afford it.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay ignoring theorange's clear asshattery,

Anyone else finding it odd that they're making the horde the weakest faction lore-wise in cataclysm? I mean first you got thrall stepping down and giving the seat to fucking Garrosh of all people, but He's apparently set to kill Cairne, Kick out blood elves and forsaken, put Sylvannas on bitch detail, and it sounds like the Trolls are leaving ogrimmar for Echo isles. Yeah, they're also getting the goblins because of thrall's diplomacy but still.

meanwhile, all three bronzebeard brothers are finally kicking some ass, Malfurion stormrage is going to be back, mekgineer is taking back gnomer, varian and jaina are getting along better, of course prophet velen is jesus so he's good, and it sounds like the worgen are joining the fight to beat back the forsaken invasion.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not everyone hits 80 with enough gold/resources to have things crafted?

*EDIT* oops that ship sailed. Oh well. Orange is a goose.

QuantumQuark on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Orgrimmar does become a massive fortress that will probably be made out of saronite.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh I seem to have came off like a douch, let me explain, when I reached 80, before I raided naxx, I farmed saronite and titan to craft myself an epic shield, and sold 3 bags worth so I can craft an epic ring. I'm not asking for a merical here, craft that titan bone crusher or something before you queue, I'm sure your main can afford it.

Not every fresh 80 in blues is an alt.

W2 on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of that, I just blew all of my gold on professions that still aren't maxed. Hurgle burgle.

(Just came back from a break which always leads me to wasting my cash for some damn reason, like clockwork)

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Orgrimmar does become a massive fortress that will probably be made out of saronite.

that still doesn't really compensate for the instability between the horde factions and the increased stability with the alliance. Then again, Ashenvale will be dominated by the orcs and even lower darkshore will have a horde presence.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You do realize that stuff is of much, much, much lower quality now than back when Naxx was teh shits, right?

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry I've been acting like a goose, can we still be friends? I honestly think there is a misunderstanding here.

Believe it or not, new players usually put more effort into their starting gear, because every upgrade to them is significant, they didn't get corrupted by the "every patch make the last patch's gear useless" mentality. Its people who already been through the game already that go "Why craft when badge gear is comparable and doesn’t require any effort?" and queue with bad gear. I'm on an EU server, so maybe there is like, a cultural thing going on here, I'm just saying it seems like a popular mentality.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yeah, I don't really think it's a culture thing. See everyone here is pissed that somebody who already has stellar gear would roll need on off-spec loot against people who are rolling mainspec because it's fucking rude. whether or not you "carried" the group is irrelevant and most likely bullshit. It's the fact that you're robbing (potentially) a person of an upgrade just because your superior mainspec gear allowed you to perform well and you feel you deserve to.

now nobody here minds when you have a gentleman's agreement beforehand, but just needing on shit because they can't match your gear lvl is seriously messed up.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I'm going for a specific piece of a different spec than I currently am, I typically announce it at the beginning of the run so that anyone who has a problem with it can find another group.

Hasn't really been much of an issue.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well I'm not above changing my ways, and if it offended all of you, I guess it would feel a lot worse for the one I took the peice from. Touche.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Inter_d wrote: »
    yeah, I don't really think it's a culture thing. See everyone here is pissed that somebody who already has stellar gear would roll need on off-spec loot against people who are rolling mainspec because it's fucking rude. whether or not you "carried" the group is irrelevant and most likely bullshit. It's the fact that you're robbing (potentially) a person of an upgrade just because your superior mainspec gear allowed you to perform well and you feel you deserve to.

now nobody here minds when you have a gentleman's agreement beforehand, but just needing on shit because they can't match your gear lvl is seriously messed up.

This is pretty much how I've always played, which is what threw me. I never roll need on off-spec stuff without specifically saying "Anyone mind if I need?" Just seems like the thing to do, and it amazes me (perhaps because I foolishly still think people are decent) when people just say "Fuck you, it's mine."

This particular instance was pretty ridiculous because the entire group was in the 5800+ realm of gearscore, we rolled cleanly through the legitimate fights, but then they did goofy things like try to skip the two fights after the second boss by running up the mountain fast...and failed, only for us to die and have to fight them anyway. I'm all for shortcuts, but that kind of stuff, when it takes all of under a minute to do each fight, just seems weird to me.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

HOLD IT!

A titansteel bonecrusher, or the epic BS shield both require frozen orbs. Which come from heroics or from heroic badges.

LEECHER!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Or can be bought from the auction house for the price of two dalies. I recanted my position?

TheOrange on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Herp, I cant hit refresh to save my life. Might help to do that before posting.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Or can be bought from the auction house for the price of two dalies. I recanted my position?

But how would those people get the frozen orbs? No-one is allowed to run heroics without the requisite 2 purples, and if the only source of these purples is from the heroics themselves then no-one can ever get the gear ever! Truly, the end of the world of warcraft!

If only there were some system wherby you could only queue for heroic dungeons if you had a level of gear the game determines to be sufficient. If only.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Heroics are tuned for people doing 1500 DPS.

Complaining if someone is above 1500 DPS makes you a silly goose.

And by silly goose I mean dumb fuckwit.

Echo on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always roll need on offspec gear.

If there's a mainspec (or possible offspec) that can roll on the same piece as me, I typically just wait until he chooses need or greed before I make my decision. In that way, I don't step on toes and I still get to gear myself up without any llama drama disagreements before the group has dived in proper. We all get to run the instance, and we all get to gear up appropriately as long as we're reasonable.

What pisses me off is this:
    Tank DK is in heirloom gear in Nexus. Cool blue BoE tanking chest plate drops. I peek at his gear and see that he has something much better so I roll need. He then rolls need and proceeds to keep his old gear equipped. I ask him if I can have it. He doesn't say anything for the entire instance and neither do the rest of the PuGs because, honestly, it doesn't affect them.. why piss off Mr. Tank just to sit around and wait for another 1/2 hour?

Fuck you, guy. Mostly fuck you, tanks.

This begs the question: Are we getting a karma/rating/reputation system so that we can weed out assholes from other servers? Before cross-server cooperation was introduced, if you ninja'd something then the server would know and you'd be SoL for finding groups. We don't get this anymore. We need something, imo.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    This begs the question: Are we getting a karma/rating/reputation system so that we can weed out assholes from other servers? Before cross-server cooperation was introduced, if you ninja'd something then the server would know and you'd be SoL for finding groups. We don't get this anymore. We need something, imo.

You don't get grouped up with people on your Ignore list.

reVerse on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Huh. Sweet.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can you ignore across servers?

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    /ignore name-server

reVerse on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Heroics are tuned for people doing 1500 DPS.

Complaining if someone is above 1500 DPS makes you a silly goose.

And by silly goose I mean dumb fuckwit.

I don't know. I'd complain if people were doing 1500 dps in PoS or HoR.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
This discussion has been closed.