As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spider-Family to be crushed in upcoming films.

RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Graphic Violence
Unsure if this was posted or not since one of the bits was announced in January apparently, but the other part is recent news:

For those that didn't know, the May 2011 release of Spider-Man 4 has been cancelled outright, due to Sam Raimi departing from the franchise. Tobey Maguire also has tendered his resignation as the web-slinger, as he had made it clear he would only be on board for the films if Raimi was set to direct.

Around the same time that Spider-Man 4's was killed, Sony Pictures announced that there would instead be an uncoming reboot of the franchise, due to release in summer of 2012, and it would be in 3-D. It would focus on Peter Parker developing his powers in high school. Determined to pick up any role that has to do with high school, Zac Efron has made it clear he wants star. It is unclear at this point if the film will feature choreographed dance numbers, set to positive, upbeat music.

In another movie annoucement, Vanessa Hudgens is in talks to star in the upcoming Spider-Woman film. Not much is known about the film yet, including which one of the many incarnations of Spider-Woman she'll possibly portray. An industry insider has stated that it will be a "fun, comedic movie" and that "Spider-Woman is strong and sexy but in this case hilarious Vanessa is apparently very interested in the role." It was also hinted that a possible viral marketing campaign for the movie calls for naked pics of the starlet to be leaked over the internet as a means to drum up buzz for the flick.*

* Alright that last part was made up, but I have seen this girl naked before and will see this movie if she stars. Don't judge me. :P

Ranadiel on

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a thread for this news. Though its not really new news...this has been known for several weeks now.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My apologies if it's already been posted. I couldn't find any recent posts that related to it.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens?

My mind, it cannot even begin to process this.

Solar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    1) all of this "news" was announced like three months ago

2) Zac Efron is awesome

3) Vanessa Hudgens is not

4) Logan Lerman is currently the lead speculation to play Spider-Man

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't know, I haven't seen Hudgens in anything lately. Maybe she's dedicated herself more to acting and performing and has decided to take her career serio...

...*alkjsdhflkad* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Sorry I can't even finish that sentence. The only way I could see this working is if it was a completely original script that focused on borderline slapstick humor and didn't attempt to take itself seriously at any point. Or if she takes her clothes off. I don't think anyone would mind an original Spider-Woman.

Zac Efron actually impressed me in 17 Again. I think he can do funny, but they'd have to really tone down his artificial cool to pull off Peter Parker. I'm not sure he can be a convincing geek.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I know Parker pulls the ladies but Zac Efron is far too much of a prissy, dancing, pretty-boy to play Parker. What, you think even in nerd glasses the cheerleaders wouldn't be all over him?

Spider-Man seriously needs a huge, huge break while they figure out what all these other truly amazing comic movies are doing and why they'll be memorable long after people have forgotten the Spider-Man trilogy.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cheerleaders are all over Parker in Spectacular Spider-Man, and it didn't really detract from the story. All you really need is for the football to regularly victimize him, and that can happen regardless of how good looking he is.

Anyway, I wouldn't pick Efron because he seems pretty wooden. He didn't stand out in Hairspray, and supposedly his first serious film, the one about Orson Welles, was terrible. He does have charisma, though, and that's pretty essential. Spider-Man, more than anyone else, needs to be likable as hell, since otherwise you wouldn't put up with his shit.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cheerleaders are all over Parker in Spectacular Spider-Man, and it didn't really detract from the story. All you really need is for the football to regularly victimize him, and that can happen regardless of how good looking he is.

Anyway, I wouldn't pick Efron because he seems pretty wooden. He didn't stand out in Hairspray, and supposedly his first serious film, the one about Orson Welles, was terrible. He does have charisma, though, and that's pretty essential. Spider-Man, more than anyone else, needs to be likable as hell, since otherwise you wouldn't put up with his shit.

I remember my cruel beatings in the showers from footballs :(

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And who could forget when the ole' pigskin covered you in pig's blood at the prom?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Then they t-balled me.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man, Spidey should be King of the Nerds. That's the whole point behind him, he's the ultimate escapist fantasy of the geeky teenage boy. It's possible that Zac Efron will be able tp pull it off, after all Peter Parker was always supposed to be good looking and smart-mouthed, and Efron is certainly more snappy than Tobey Maguire.

Still, Vanessa Hudgens? That just doesn't work for me at all.

Solar on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone else see Assassination of a High School President? I always thought the lead actor from that would make a good Peter Parker.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Not seen it, what was his name?

You know, it really is a shame that Topher Grace never got to be Spider-Man. He would have been tops. They could have even got Laura Prepon to play MJ too, she was pretty good in that 70's show and could play MJ perfectly.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    His name's Reece Thompson. I really haven't seen him in anything else, but he's got a good resume. I think he could capture the dorky charm of Peter Parker. And he's got the look for it.

Assassination of a High School President

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, he looks like he would be pretty good. That film looks funky too.

Solar on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think Zac Efron is pretty good for the role. Did you guys see 17 again, the guy has range, and the kind of longing stare Peter Parker needs for the MJ and the Gwen Stacy thing.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well hey, that doesn't look so bad.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I did see Efron in 17 Again, which was a movie I enjoyed. But I'm not sure if I enjoyed it for Efron's performance or the hilarious situations and dialogue that was going on around him. His adult buddy in that movie too was the ultimate nerd too.

However, when he came home the first night after having been transformed back into a teenager and realizes what's going on did kind of strike me as a "holy shit this is awesome" moment that I could see Peter Parker having when he comes into his Spider-Powers for the first time.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That guy is Jim Dangle from Reno 911, and the gay guy who keeps popping up in "I love you, Man"

He's gold.

I think what you can take from the 17 again movie is the kind of weird tone of the entire thing, cutting between various high school shenanigans and moments of seriousness.

Of course, Efron is 22 years old, so, it could be tough for him to play a high school student.

On another note, I really hope the new movie doesn't follow the "Spidey must lose mask!" philosophy of the past 3 movies. That part in the subway train was the most grating part of Spider-man 2. I know why they had to do it, I just don't like it. No sir.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Let's turn this into the 17 Again discussion thread.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Let's turn this into the 17 Again discussion thread.

spoilered for on track discussion:
    "You don't even have to remember my name."

Oh, to be a teenager again. :(

There was one major thing that upset me while watching 17 Again, because he refused to partake in what generally most red-blooded males would do if they got a chance to relive their teenage years while retaining all the knowledge and experience of their adulthood - bang the shit out of naive hot teenage girls.

As for Spider-Man, I agree with the whole Unmasking issue and felt it was really overdone in the movies. But this might be a price we pay for seeing a full-faced mask wearing hero go Hollywood. Everyone wants to get their face out there.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm kind of hoping they do an "UP" style montage to help us avoid ANOTHER 45 minutes of spider-man getting his powers, his uncle dying, etc etc etc etc. Between Books, Movies, TV shows, Video Games, and so on, I will be dissapointed if a single person seeing this film doesn't know the story.

Also, no dance numbers. Unless it's this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seAJsrtIbQ I imagine this joke has been made before, but I'm ok with it.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I could see that as a classic Peter Parker moment.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's wrong with this dance number?

Suck it Effron!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    spider-man 3 was the best of the franchise

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MrTowelMrTowel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They should've just made that movie a straight up Bollywood flick. But more emo.

MrTowel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Im starting to think TLB is some kind of advanced spam-bot.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well no it isn't really the best made movie in the franchise

but it was the most fun one

far and away

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The other two were pretty humorless.

Though I thought the pizza delivery sequence in the 2nd one was kind of funny.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    honestly I am just pro every movie having a scene where kirsten dunst gets punched in the face

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MrTowelMrTowel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the sad thing about the third one was that it had Topher Grace in it, and everytime I saw him I was like "you should have been Spiderman!"

Solar on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    honestly I am just pro every movie having a scene where kirsten dunst gets punched in the face

You'd probably love to see the ending of her adaptation of Marie Antoinette then TLB!
    I've never seen it, but I assume that all Marie Antoinette movies end with a beheading.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    no I should not because that movie was awful!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    chrish4161chrish4161 Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Unsure if this was posted or not since one of the bits was announced in January apparently, but the other part is recent news:

For those that didn't know, the May 2011 release of Spider-Man 4 has been cancelled outright, due to Sam Raimi departing from the franchise. Tobey Maguire also has tendered his resignation as the web-slinger, as he had made it clear he would only be on board for the films if Raimi was set to direct.

Around the same time that Spider-Man 4's was killed, Sony Pictures announced that there would instead be an uncoming reboot of the franchise, due to release in summer of 2012, and it would be in 3-D. It would focus on Peter Parker developing his powers in high school. Determined to pick up any role that has to do with high school, Zac Efron has made it clear he wants star. It is unclear at this point if the film will feature choreographed dance numbers, set to positive, upbeat music.

In another movie annoucement, Vanessa Hudgens is in talks to star in the upcoming Spider-Woman film. Not much is known about the film yet, including which one of the many incarnations of Spider-Woman she'll possibly portray. An industry insider has stated that it will be a "fun, comedic movie" and that "Spider-Woman is strong and sexy but in this case hilarious Vanessa is apparently very interested in the role." It was also hinted that a possible viral marketing campaign for the movie calls for naked pics of the starlet to be leaked over the internet as a means to drum up buzz for the flick.*

* Alright that last part was made up, but I have seen this girl naked before and will see this movie if she stars. Don't judge me. :P

Well according to me this is very sad that they are no launching the spider man 4 because of any contract or something. If the movie is completed then they should launch it because the popularity never ask the contract and at the end of the day if the movie will get super hit then that is the pure benefit of the movie company.

chrish4161 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so is english like your 5th or 6th language?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mickey Rourke should play Uncle Ben in the new Spider-Man movie.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    honestly uncle ben is the least important actor to cast in a spidey movie

(make it ted danson)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    God-damn it, Spider-Man should be easy, it's funny, he has great villains, a good supporting cast and Spidey himself his a great look.

And Uncle Ben should be William H Macy with a bit of weight.

Solar on