As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jade Empire: In Which a Thread is Created, A Post is Made, and a Discussion is Had

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, speaking of CF, holy balls does this game have the most evil "evil ending" for a Bioware game ever or what? I felt bad the whole time. Damn!
    It was pretty evil, but it also has one the biggest dropped balls I've seen.
    So the game starts out desperately trying to pretend that Open Palm isn't good and Closed Fist isn't evil. Well, fair enough.

But then you come to the... you know... the Binding scene in the temple and you can give 'valid' Open Palm reasons for why you just have to enslave the guy for his own good.

And what do you get?

Closed Fist points.

It could've been so much better.

One thing I did like about the evil ending sequence is that if you romanced your partner Closed Fist-style, they'll go along with you, whereas if you romanced them Open Palm-style, they... won't.

WotanAnubis on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HenryVape wrote: »
    I really dont know how good i really think this game is, it still looks good and the fighting system is pretty cool, but the areas felt so incredibly limited and it didnt really like feel i was actually on a long journey, but was merely waltzing around the imperial city and its subburbs. It felt so incredibly anticlimatic to me. Also i didnt really like the party system, it sort of felt like i was merely bringing along a buffbot. Though it was really hilarious to roll around with the stun fighting style, NO ONE except for the demons were immune to it, so i really dont actually know how either deaths hand,
    the emperor
    or the last boss are supposed to fight. They ended up just standing there twitching while i wailed at them .

That's the only way I was able to win against him, otherwise he'd regenerate health faster than I could pound him down. :/ Combining it with legendary strike is the cheap but effective method.

Orca on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, on paper, Closed Fist sounds reasonable enough, but in game, it's still just noble/megadick (until the end, when it's saint/tyrant). As amusing as CF is though, I think the storyline as OP is pretty much a perfect narrative for what is basically a solo game.
    One thing I did like about the evil ending sequence is that if you romanced your partner Closed Fist-style, they'll go along with you, whereas if you romanced them Open Palm-style, they... won't.

Guess I know what my next playthrough will be.
    Tiger Shen CF went for the trio, but Dawn Star got cold feet despite being CF, so I just assumed that was too dark for her nature. Even Sky, huh? Interesting.

Also, boss fights pretty much sounded like this. "Paralyzing Palm! Leaping Tiger! Paralyzing Palm! Leaping Tiger!" Replace with Storm Dragon/Legendary Strike for CF. Started to get tired of my character's voice. D:

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited April 2010

Guess I know what my next playthrough will be.
    Tiger Shen CF went for the trio, but Dawn Star got cold feet despite being CF, so I just assumed that was too dark for her nature. Even Sky, huh? Interesting.
    No, no, when you do the Closed Fist threesome, Dawn Star reverts to Open Palm for some reason.

I'm assuming she considers it a one-time thing and then lets you have Silk Fox.

Not sure why she then also decides to give up the lessons you taught her, though. I guess a change in morality only sticks if it's during an active romance.

So, basically, even Closed Fist Dawn Star will stick with you if you don't go for the threesome.

WotanAnubis on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jade Empire stands out to me as having the least shitty "evil" ending of any Bioware game in recent memory. I really like the justification
    For fucking over the Water Dragon. It was a simple matter of wresting the fate of mankind from the hands of the Celestial Bureaucracy, which is an incredibly asinine organization by all indications claiming divine right.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I started laughing when I saw the water dragon near the end. It looked like a fun water slide.

Couscous on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    simulacrum wrote: »
    I remember loving this game when I first played through it.

Was really disappointed about how short it was.

This was my main problem with the game. It starts off really well for what seems like the first 'half', but then the second half has no side stuff going on at all, I couldn't even finish off Ming's flying quests (that last one was a bitch).

It also annoyed me because I apparently missed the chance to follow through on my romance with SF, because I guess you have to talk to the person at a very specific point in the palace? Without any indicators for it? By time I found out it was too late to go back.

Scooter on
  • ZeeDouglasZeeDouglas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Definitely enjoyed this when I played it, although there were some elements that needed improvement:

The crazy top scrolling game you had to play to get from place to place?

Also closed fist had so much potential in a, Don't just hold everybody's hand, let them fight for themselves, give a man a fish etc etc, way. Then in the end it STILL just boils down to "Are you an asshole? How big of an ass hole, eh?" (turns out pretty big if you decide to be!)

ZeeDouglas on
    PSN: ZDouglas
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I roll with Furious Ming, but dammit, I wish he would wear a shirt.

Anyone remember Sir Roderick?

edit: Holy crap he was voiced by John Cleese.
    The scene in the garden with him is probably my favorite Bioware moment of all time.

And one other thing;

The best kung fu involves axes. Anything else is second rate.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2010
    ZeeDouglas wrote: »
    Also closed fist had so much potential in a, Don't just hold everybody's hand, let them fight for themselves, give a man a fish etc etc, way. Then in the end it STILL just boils down to "Are you an asshole? How big of an ass hole, eh?" (turns out pretty big if you decide to be!)

This a thousand times. So much wasted potential :(

Fiaryn on
    edited April 2010
    Also, did they actually use any asian VAs in this game? I mean, I like Nathan Fillon, but surely there's some chinese dudes/ladies in the biz.

Edit: IMDB seems to indicate Dawn Star was the only one, part Vietnamese

Scooter on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really liked JE, but for some reason I just don't think it compares to any of the other Bioware titles. It was too short, though maybe Dragon Age spoiled me in that regard. Definitely not my favorite, but it really was a good experience.

Xtarath on
    edited April 2010
    I am disappointed by very little as much as I am disappointed by the lack of a Jade Empire sequel. The setting had a lot of promise, I wanted to see more. Like Phoenix Gate!

Fiaryn on
    edited April 2010
    I was also disappointed they never did anything else with the setting.

I, however, set a D&D campaign there at one point.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2010
    So which is the best magic style anyway? I have a feeling it's not my beloved Stone Immortal because it's useless against floating targets, so which one is it?

WotanAnubis on
    edited April 2010
    So which is the best magic style anyway? I have a feeling it's not my beloved Stone Immortal because it's useless against floating targets, so which one is it?

Wait...people use magic styles?

Orca on
    edited April 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Don't discount magic styles. The range they offer you can be of great help against, for example, Grand Inquisitor Jia, who rarely uses ranged attacks of her own, but can be devestating up close.

WotanAnubis on
    edited April 2010
    Their power/area attacks were great for disabling enemies and getting a second to position yourself or chi-heal, too.

I played a couple runs using magic as a primary attack style, it was a lot of fun.

OptimusZed on

edited April 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Don't discount magic styles. The range they offer you can be of great help against, for example, Grand Inquisitor Jia, who rarely uses ranged attacks of her own, but can be devestating up close.

Unless they're immune to magic I seem to have the best luck combining paralyzing palm with the normal style of choice. Note: this is not Jade Golem difficulty, 'cuz that destroys my ass in ways that are not even funny.

Orca on
    edited April 2010
    Paralyzing Palm and Storm Dragon Style are easy mode. If you use them you should feel ashamed

Fiaryn on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Tempest magic that Closed Fist characters gets is the best of the styles. Stone Immortal is the strongest, in terms of damage, but it can't hit floating things so it's pretty crappy. Ice Shard is probably the second best, just for the freeze.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I played a couple runs using magic as a primary attack style, it was a lot of fun.
    I really like the idea of playing a 'mage' character sometimes, but unfortunately my prefered method of persuasion is Charm, which doesn't really lend itself very well to mages.

It does lend itself well to very fast fighters who carve up their opponents with a pair of sabers, though. So there is that.

WotanAnubis on
    edited April 2010
    Leaping tiger has the coolest looking power attack. That style is pure win.

As for magic styles, tempest area and power attacks suspends people in a whirlwind, which is helpful (and annoying when all the enemies have it). I didn't use magic styles much, but I might be inclined to say the fire one is best just because you're immune during the area attack, whereas I think you can get knocked out of it in the other three (very long) area attacks. If I'm using an area attack, I'm probably surrounded by dudes and don't have time to rub my palms together for five seconds. Besides, I used all my chi for chi strikes.

Also, I really like the Water Dragon's voice.
    "To control the beginning is to control the outcome. It is godlike."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited April 2010
    I really like the idea of playing a 'mage' character sometimes, but unfortunately my prefered method of persuasion is Charm, which doesn't really lend itself very well to mages.

It does lend itself well to very fast fighters who carve up their opponents with a pair of sabers, though. So there is that.

I always just kept my stats balanced, used a Bronze/Silver/Gold Tongue gem, and had no problems doing any persuasion option.

Fiaryn on
    edited April 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I always just kept my stats balanced, used a Bronze/Silver/Gold Tongue gem, and had no problems doing any persuasion option.
    True enough. It's kind of a roleplaying thing, though. I prefer to play a Charming character, so I heavily favour the stats that improve Charm even though I know I don't really need to.

It's not very min/max-y of me and, admittedly, it still gives me enough Chi for moderate magic use, just not a full-blown Mage.

WotanAnubis on
    edited April 2010
    I usually just went with whatever I was focused on.

Which is why my serene man-mountain of a warrior monk Intimidated the hell out of people.

OptimusZed on

• BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would it be too much to ask for to have a Jade Empire sequel using a martial arts based version of the combat in Batman Arkham Asylum?

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BarneyL wrote: »
    Would it be too much to ask for to have a Jade Empire sequel using a martial arts based version of the combat in Batman Arkham Asylum?

Considering how close the combat in ME2 was to third-person cover shooters rather than RPG mechanics fighting, I think it's not too unlikely.

Bioware has been pretty coy about a JE sequel, I'm hoping they're just waiting until they can work out a really good combat system for it, since that was easily the worst-reviewed part of the game.

Man, I loved JE. Maxed Chi attacks on the Demon Sword just tore through everything, and against hordes it was a simple matter of Storm Dragon in focus mode. Exploding people EVERYWHERE! So much fun, especially in the final palace segment.

The first time I played through I depended almost entirely on Toad Form to get me through the tough battles. It feels so satisfying to just crush the hell out of people as a big-ass toad, and ToadvToad battles were hilarious.

Fuck you, Emperor! I'm a tooad!

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    The shapeshifting abilities were basically broken. I think with the combination of the golem form and one of the other abilities I could curbstomp an entire gang of demons or bosses in a few seconds.

Scooter on
    edited April 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    The shapeshifting abilities were basically broken. I think with the [strike]combination of the[/strike] golem form [strike]and one of the other abilities[/strike] I could curbstomp an entire gang of demons or bosses in a few seconds.

Jade Golem: When everything in the room absolutely must be wrecked.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited April 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    The shapeshifting abilities were basically broken. I think with the [strike]combination of the[/strike] golem form [strike]and one of the other abilities[/strike] I could curbstomp an entire gang of demons or bosses in a few seconds.

Jade Golem: When everything in the room absolutely must be wrecked.

Jade Golem: because cheatcodes would be too obvious.

Orca on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jade Empire is great. I kept wishing BW makes a sequel.

Reboot on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I actually sorta like the shorter length of the game, I believe I've beaten the game more times than anything but Pokemon Red and with more varied characters. Though honestly I've never used a follower seriously except Dawn Star in support mode. Especially on the higher difficulties where going to range with magic is hyper useful and healing is paramount.

Anyone use people other than Dawn Star? I just use magic way too much to use other people.

Though I think this weekend I may do a final 'definitive' Closed Fist runthrough on the highest difficulty just because I usually play Open Palm and want to finally see the Silk Fox closed fist romance.

Z0re on
    edited April 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    I actually sorta like the shorter length of the game, I believe I've beaten the game more times than anything but Pokemon Red and with more varied characters. Though honestly I've never used a follower seriously except Dawn Star in support mode. Especially on the higher difficulties where going to range with magic is hyper useful and healing is paramount.

Anyone use people other than Dawn Star? I just use magic way too much to use other people.

Though I think this weekend I may do a final 'definitive' Closed Fist runthrough on the highest difficulty just because I usually play Open Palm and want to finally see the Silk Fox closed fist romance.

Dawn Star's the only one worth using. She restores your magic AND your health (via chi healing). And if you stick to one of your baseline weapon styles, that one won't use any focus.

Orca on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My only issue with this game was that it seemed kind of short in comparison to a lot of other Bioware games. I found it really amazing though. I'd like to see a sequel eventually, but I have no idea what kind of IPs they have ready to go after ME3 and TOR MMO. I'm guessing they probably have some ready though.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited April 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    In combat Dawn Star really is the only way to go.

Out of combat I enjoy taking Ya Zhen along. He's just so amusingly evil.

WotanAnubis on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't play this on anything but PC. I like having Monkey Paw style too much to settle for the default choices. Wish it had more distinct locations on the world map to visit.

Doronron on
  • WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh yes, Jade Empire. I had fun with that game. I played that tiny little dude, maxed out nothing but health, intimidated absolutely everyone and punched people to death with my TINY LIGHTNING-FAST FISTS OF FURY. Also, I told every single love interest they're idiots. I was basically that drunk axe guy concentrated.

Luckily, I still barely got on the Open Hand path after saving the water dragon. Man, THAT was a thoroughly retarded decision on Bioware's part. You can basically be Kung-Fu Hitler up to that point, but if you make that choice at the end... BAMM... instant redemption. Was a bit silly. The whole Open Hand-Closed Fist mechanic was quite boring, really- but I suppose not every "moral choice" game can pull off a KOTOR 2.

Still, I'd love to see more of the setting, and an advanced version of the battle system. If there's a proper Open Hand-Closed Fist mechanic, great! In fact, why not ditch the whole opposite angle and introduce several paths of philosophy? Much more interesting and also inherently less stupid.

P.S.: My favorite moment: when in the main city, you get to hunt criminals. One of them is a killer looking for redemption. On the open hand path, you can help her get revenge on someone, and afterwards, she wants to die in a last, glorious battle. Being the angry little person I love to play, I grant her that last, monumentous battle that shall shake the foundations of history itself!
    Two seconds later, the killer explodes.
    Storm Dragon is soooo wrong, yet soooo right. :mrgreen:

Wingo on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I loved Jade Empire, moreso than KOTOR actually. After I finished playing through KOTOR, I just couldn't motivate myself to play through again as an evil guy. But with Jade Empire, I immediately wanted to start up a new game just to see the alternate quest endings, fighting styles, etc. Actually, the relative shortness of the game may have been a positive in this regard.

Also, the love interest subplot was really enjoyable for me.
    Lesbian relationship with Silk Fox FTW.

I'd love to see a sequel.

Rex Dart on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was blown away by the closed fist ending of this game, where you
    decide to keep the water dragon around and use it to enslave your party members, but then half of them turn on you and it touches off this giant brawl. It was great because it was totally not what I was expecting.

Also the "evil" ending where you agree
    with the emperor and offer to sacrifice yourself for the empire, and then at the end there's your statue and everyone is all enamored with you, and the emperor is seen laughing in the background.

Actually I really liked a lot of the characters and dialogue in this game, even though it's pretty stilted good/evil binary choices. The combat system was cool too, although sometimes frustrating and sort of under-realized. Whatever the style was where you punched guys really fast was my favorite, combined with the closed fist wind magic and the hidden fist style.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget