As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre Pax Dinner [not a headcount]

BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in PAX Archive
I heard it mentioned in another thread and figured it was time it was given its due and so figured I would ask. Anyone making any plans this year on the pre PAX dinner?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Bambooza on

• Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yep, there's an organizer this year. I forget her name, but she's the same one who put together last year's dinner. Apparently we'll have more space this year, so we won't completely destroy the restaurant so much.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Haha, good times. Yeah, Astayonix (or Jessica if you prefer) is taking care of things. When she's ready, she'll make poast about the good times.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Ahh glad to hear and ya she did a great job of it last year. And destroy? I do believe its still ... standing. But anyways it has become a nice way to end the long drive and I am sure Astayonix will out do herself again.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As her s/o, I can tell you the only thing that's certain right now is that it's going to be Thursday starting sometime between 9 & 10 PM and going to 11-11:30 PM, significantly later than last year (this is due to the fact that restaurants downtown Seattle don't shut themselves down for free during peak hours). The most likely (but not set in stone) location is P.F. Chang's in the Westlake Center (easy to find on ctishman's PAX map).

We'll probably solidify these things in May or June, and she'll open some official information thread to do the whole headcount estimate like last year.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ok, so it seems the dinner is working out... what about the movie? May I suggest Fanboys? It comes out the weekend before PAX, so we don't have to worry about the opening weekend "fanboys".

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Great suggestion. Not sure it can top snakes on a plane but seems the right type of movie to try.

Bambooza on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sounds good to me. Perhaps a real late showing, given the late dinner?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    HolyHesusHolyHesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am going to the dinner! I miss Illusionz though. I heard only The Geek and some of my friends showed up. I would have hit that up this year.

HolyHesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I know I speak for Astayonix when I say:

This is not an official information or headcount thread.

Anything posted here will not count toward any estimate and could throw us off if you don't remember to post intentions in the real thread when it comes.

If you want to talk about the pre-PAX dinner that's totally fine, even announce your intention to come, but just don't forget to post that again in the official thread once we've made solid arrangements.

Thanks d00dz.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    More room would be good, we had to sit upstairs last year, and didn't meet as many people.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There will be more room this year, but ultimately the problem is mobility. If you sit at any table, you're naturally only going to meet the people at that table, so mingling is necessary regardless. I'm afraid it's not feasible to construct an epic level legendary table that can seat hundreds at once (and produce a commensurate number of Hero's Feasts thrice per day, as the spell).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I know... Pre-PAX dinner meets musical chairs!

Otherwise, I say just order everything and ask for the bill with the food. Then you can take your food with you on your merry journey to everybody's table.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There will be more room this year, but ultimately the problem is mobility. If you sit at any table, you're naturally only going to meet the people at that table, so mingling is necessary regardless. I'm afraid it's not feasible to construct an epic level legendary table that can seat hundreds at once (and produce a commensurate number of Hero's Feasts thrice per day, as the spell).

Not quite what I meant, mingling is obvious if you want to meet people, I meant they wouldn't let us downstairs due to fire code regulations and seating the max number of people downstairs at the time, even if it was just to wander in for a bit.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, there will be no upstairs/downstairs division this year, but the fire code is always going to be a problem, especially with PAX attendance going up like a goddamn Saturn V every year.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    A buffet-style setup would make the mingling easier. Pay to get in, grab a plate, grab your food, then play musical chairs.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Sort of like a PAX version of speed dating.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    A buffet-style setup would make the mingling easier. Pay to get in, grab a plate, grab your food, then play musical chairs.

If we were to do that, we'd have to charge people at the door, and that would require a considerable risk of an invested deposit, assuming we could even raise the money. Probably the only way I'd feel comfortable is we pre-registered everybody and had the money up front for a deposit, but even then I think it's not the sort of attitude we want the event to have. Right now you can come and order as much or as little, or even nothing, as you want. I don't want to close the doors to people.

(I will admit though, if the popularity of the dinner grows too much, we might have to go to such a system, or even approach PA Inc. about rolling into the umbrella of the main event somehow. We had 150+ people last year, and knowing PAX's growth patterns, it could quickly grow beyond our capacity to organize. If I were you, I'd worry about Sealab in the same way.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This much is true, at this rate the extraPAX activities will need their own enforcer teams.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    This is not an official information or headcount thread.

That text is quite big. I think we should quote it at every opportunity.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yes, i agree completely, we need to get a mod to put that in the thread title

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I'd like to put in a vote for Buca de Beppo. It's a great place, fantastic food and terrific atmosphere, and is really set up to handle large parties, if needed. The servings are gigantic and are really designed to let everyone order something and share it all around.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what is this prepax dinner? like, a dinner for forumers to meeet before pax?

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Basically we all congregate at a local eatery on Thursday evening with the intentions of eating and mingling. All PAX attendees are welcome, it's just something for us to do in the anticipation of PAX. Last year it was before the movie, however since it appears like it's going to be later this year, the movie is going to happen first.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Rankenphile: Jessica wanted to keep it within walking distance of PAX and the hotels, and P.F. Chang's in Westlake Center has been very willing to work with us without any financial commitment, is fairly large, and is in walking distance, so unless something changes it's the top of the list.

xxhennersxx: There's really not much to it, it's just a dinner to meet people the night before PAX opens. It's mostly forumers, supertrippers and their friends because we don't talk about it anywhere else (it's too big already). There's no structure or agenda, you order what you want, sit whereever. It's the people that make it fun, especially the supertripper stories.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Rankenphile: Jessica wanted to keep it within walking distance of PAX and the hotels, and P.F. Chang's in Westlake Center has been very willing to work with us without any financial commitment, is fairly large, and is in walking distance, so unless something changes it's the top of the list.

Makes sense, and sounds good. I was just tossing it out there as an idea.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

xxhennersxx: There's really not much to it, it's just a dinner to meet people the night before PAX opens. It's mostly forumers, supertrippers and their friends because we don't talk about it anywhere else (it's too big already). There's no structure or agenda, you order what you want, sit whereever. It's the people that make it fun, especially the supertripper stories.

Ya know, I remember at the last dinner, we were actually discussing the NEXT supertrip and PAX even before that one had started. And then we got to pick the brains of some of the enforcers about how everything is set-up and where we should go when the doors open. But I honestly never knew anybody at the table that I sat down at... and I loved it.

And I think I regaled the ironic tale of "lucky sue" to some people.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That reminds me of when I'm up at the mic during the first G&T panel talking about the CCST and all of a sudden part of the crowd yells, "REMEMBER LUCKY SUE!"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Otherwise, I say just order everything and ask for the bill with the food. Then you can take your food with you on your merry journey to everybody's table.

We need a buffet style or some mongolian grill action.. mmmm fresh pinapple!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A bunch of gamers descending on a Mongolian grill like a bunch of, er, Mongolians, sounds awesome.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    We must all grow long fu-manchu moustaches (yes, even the women) and wear silk pillbox hats in bright colors.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there a Mongolian grill in the area? There was one on broadway, but it closed ~2 years ago. Only ones I know of are on the East side... (Not to say there aren't any, but I'm not aware of any) :-/

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, Google Maps says the closest one is in the U-District, which would be a nightmare to mob because parking in the area is sparse (the closest lot is a good 8 blocks away, and there's no way I'd count on being able to park on the Ave).

A shame really, as we could easily occupy the whole place and eat up all the food (I think it seats 40-50, and you can go back for seconds for free).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just found out about PAX today, and it sounds like something I could see myself really enjoying, so I'll try to throw out some ideas that will make everybody's enjoyment the maximum allotted.

There is a Denny's-esque restaurant on Denny and 7th or so, maybe 12-14 blocks from the CC, called The Hurricane. They have live music on weekends and are open quite late. Between the dance floor and the normal restaurant I'd wager it could seat about 80 and house about 50 more (I'm sure fire codes would have a max capacity of maybe 150, 175 tops), but the place is owned by some really awesome people, who may let us rent the place out entirely. Greasy spoons with reputable food and cool owners are fairly rare, and this is a place that only drunkard locals would know about (This is me pleading the fifth, officially).

Depending on the total head count of attendees, The Hurricane could just be too small, but I feel it would be worth exploring to find out for sure.

People have mentioned Mongoloid Barbeques and stuff, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the downtown Seattle area is a bit too metropolitan to have very many places in the greater downtown area that would accomodate a crowd of this magnitude. I know many phenominal restaurants in the area, but they're all too fancy-pants.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    As much as I appreciate the enthusiasm, let me tell you that the organizer of the Pre-PAX dinner hates The Hurricane. She always refuses to go there. (I've actually been wanting to check it out myself for a long time.) I think she's afraid it's too 'hardcore' or something because she's heard horror stories about thugs hanging out there or whatever. It's almost certainly paranoia, but you try talking a stubborn woman into anything... pick your battles and all that.

(oh, and I'm sure where 24 hr. diners are concerned, Beth's Cafe > The Hurricane without a doubt.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The only redeeming qualities behind Beth's Cafe were the waiters/waittresses yellling obsceneties at the cooks while in customer earshot, and the fact that they were the only place besides Denny's that allowed smoking. With the smoking ban, Beth's is just a Denny's with less seats adjacent to a gay bar.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ooooh you're part of the blood feud. I see how it is.

As much as I'd love to see this thread deteriorate into a flame war about which obscure local 24 hr. diner is superior, I'm afraid we're just going to have to agree to disagree. (And after I had gone out of my way being so reasonable already, giving private insights into my fiance's mind. Perhaps she's right about the sort of people that go to The Hurricane...)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Not so much a blood feud, as I've never been a smoker, and everyone in that place smoked so it was basically a huge space filled with tobacco smoke and the scent of runny eggs.

Beth's is quite far away from anywhere resembling downtown, anyways, so I'm afraid we both struck out =(

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd like to put in a vote for Buca de Beppo. It's a great place, fantastic food and terrific atmosphere, and is really set up to handle large parties, if needed. The servings are gigantic and are really designed to let everyone order something and share it all around.
    bucca di beppo rocks, and great wine, but it's kinda far away, ya?
    [edit] not to mention it's way too small and compartmentalized.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Methos645Methos645 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This sounds great!

Methos645 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I honestly cannot wait for this. I missed the dinner last year and I'll be DAMNED if I miss it again!

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
This discussion has been closed.