As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ModNation Racers] Wait? People are still playing this? Ummm...Vita version pending? Yay?

Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy!Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Sunday! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Join us at the Merch Memorial Gardens as...

4549976888_704cf1fa75_o.jpg

...tear up the track with their hamster powered Karts!

That's right kids! You too can go belting around user generated track at insane speeds launching weaponized hilarity at each other. Don't believe me? Watch this!

Brought to you by San Diego Studio & United Front Games!

But wait there's more! Not only is this event hosted on the PS3 in HD, but the PSP in Go-Anywhere Vision! Not only that but you can customize your racer, your kart, AND THE TRACK ITSELF! This game is what happens when Little Big Planet and Mario Kart have a fuggly love child! Marvel at your Cartoon Network commercial escapee-like characters. The beta's been going on for quite a time and there are dozens of videos up on Youtube!

Sweet vids under the spoiler -
But to mix thing up Sony has some current offers going on:

How about a Sweepstakes! - That's right, win your own Kart!

And the ubiquitous pre-order bonuses.

Gamestop: Kratos + Sackboy + 1 of 4 Mystery Karts
Amazon: Ratchet & Clank + Sackboy + 1 of 4 Mystery Karts
Best Buy: Nate Drake + Sackboy + 1 of 4 Mystery Karts

But don't take my word for it! Why don't you head on down to the official website for more details!

So...what does that mean to me and you? Well for one we can make our own racing team, trade tracks, custom outfits and decals, and generally go nuts on the PSN!

Updates as of 08/01/10

The patch is due on the 3rd.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
Mostlyjoe13 on

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Join the Roll'n 20's Merchades Racing Team

aka. Team Merchades!

Mostlyjoe13/Mostlyjoe/NA/mic optional
    Lucascraft/Lucascraft
    El Fantastico/ArcticArctos/North America/no mic
    Beltaine/Beltaine-77
    Seanron/Seanron
    BlitzAce1981/BlitzAce1981
    Necro_85/Necro_85
    InkSplat/SAW776
    Bartholamue/SteveBartz
    Crotchless Gorilla Suit/h4prlite
    Houn/DigitalArcanist
    Aphorik/Aphorik

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man when I get this I am going to make so many SMK tracks.

This looks like a solid kart racer, with a really intuitive track editor. I am pumped.

Also this was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_4A78XNceU

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2010
    Man when I get this I am going to make so many SMK tracks.

I'm sure we'll have a mountain of them. Personally I want to do crazy stuff like Hell's Cafe, Super Space Mountain, and "You be trippin" among other titles.

But honestly, we're gonna need a team on the PSN for this. I wanna go racing with you all.

And if anyone else can think of details to add to the OP, let me know.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will the PSP and PS3 communities be intertwined? I might grab it for the PSP if I can play tracks that PS3 users have created and vice versa.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Played the beta, and was sorely dissapointed.

The creation tools? Awesome? The sharing and online? Worked. Graphics? Unique. Gameplay? Shit.

The camera was waay to low, and the carts just didn't feel like they gripped the ground at all. It was like racing on ice. There was also horrendous loading times.

Hopefully they improved it, but I'm going to way till they release a demo again/hear updated impressions.

Kyougu on
    edited April 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The camera was waay to low, and the carts just didn't feel like they gripped the ground at all. It was like racing on ice. There was also horrendous loading times.

Well, from the developer interviews I think they took your words to heart. There is a lot of mention heavier cars. As for the PSP to PS3 interconnectivity, I can't find anything.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It would be insanely awesome if I could play on PS3, then take it with me on my PSP and play my same character.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Trying to decide if I should get this game on the ps3 or psp. I'm sure the ps3 will have a bigger community and more tracks, but if motorstorm is any indication I'm more likely to put more hours on the psp version where there is less competition for my gaming time. Then again if this game does turn out to be awesome I suppose I could buy both.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've pre-ordered on Amazon for the ps3, we should get a list of all the players to get some competitive going at some point

deveric on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope they've fixed the weapon balance, as trying to build up a tier 3 weapon to hit the leader, only to get blown up and lose it a second before you fire it was just stupid; it basically meant that as long as you were in the lead by a few seconds, you could not be caught, since whoever took 2nd would invariably get blown up before they could attack.

Looking forward to improving on my Mod attempt from the beta, though:
    modnationsnaaaaake.jpg

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you guys heard about Zero Gear?

http://myzerogear.com/

NotYou on
    edited April 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    you guys heard about Zero Gear?

http://myzerogear.com/

Ah, but it seems to be missing the "Make your own tracks" feature which honestly is why I'm getting ModNation instead. That and I want some HD loving from my PS3 and HD TV.

From what I've found out the PSP version has a scaled down copy of the PS3 track editor. So I don't think it's gonna support cross play. Which I have to admit, it a little sad. Anyone hear differently?

I wanna do a cool jungle track called Tango Down, with a crashed plane and lava everywhere.

But agreed. We need a List and there shall be one! Post your PSN Nicknames to be added.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Played the beta, and was sorely dissapointed.

The creation tools? Awesome? The sharing and online? Worked. Graphics? Unique. Gameplay? Shit.

Hopefully they improved it, but I'm going to way till they release a demo again/hear updated impressions.

Ditto, was so looking forward to this but it played like utter shit from the beta. Is there going to be a demo? I'd be willing to give it another shot to see if anything changed.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got a demo code for the PSP version from the USA PSN newsletter.

edit: just played a race, impressions:

Camera angle is fine now, it's very Mario Kart-y.

Turning is a bit too 'loose', making minor directional adjustments harder than they should be; this is an issue that doesn't matter much on the analog stick, but when using the d-pad takes some adjustment.

The game's 'sounds' are pretty lackluster, there's music and some guy talking at you at a radio and almost no engine noises whatsoever... surprisingly ineffective.

I wish there was a slide button.

I'm still not sure what some of the controls on the face of the controller are supposed to do, and the demo lacks any documentation. EDIT AGAIN: Okay, there is documentation but it's purely in loading screen form, and the loads are a bit too fast to read more than a couple controls at a time.

Dehumanized on
    edited April 2010
    Soooo.... how custom are the karts?

Are they custom like you get a bare frame and you can make the kart look like anything you want?
    1939-rat-rod-pickup.jpg

Or is it custom like you can pick a stock kart and just add paint, stickers, and bits to it to make it custom?
    ricer-17803.jpg

The former would make me go :mrgreen: as I'd love to build some really crazy kart designs. The latter would be sort of meh.

Also, from what I've read, the PS3 is the version to get, the PSP is stripped down, and ne'er the two shall meet.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I managed to score a code for the MNR Beta for PS3 when they were handing them out around the time the GotY edition of LBP came out. My initial impressions of the game were kind of "meh" about it all. I know it was a beta, so obviously things were incomplete/unpolished. The track editor was a bit of fun though kind of annoying to figure out at first.

One of the more annoying things originally was the weapon system. They didn't feel particularly useful. Not in the same way Mario Kart's weapons do. Like, you have a red shell, and you know it's value. It WILL target the next person ahead of you and wipe them out. Anything hit by a weapon visibly spins out of control for a second or two.

The MNR weapons don't have that kind of effect. They didn't at least during the beta - I'm aware things could be different now and basing opinions on a game's beta several months old is foolish. I just hope that the weapons do have a more valid effect on the racing like they do in Mario Kart. Skill should be a primary factor in determining whether you win a race or not, but sometimes, you just want to ruin your competition's day with a nice missile barrage.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited April 2010
    3. A boss name for our team! And I don't think anything wang-tastic will fly since this is a kiddy friendly game. Just FYI.[/I]

Random thought I had whilst I was [strike]goofing off[/strike] at work; not necessarily a team name, but I think we should all be driving Merchedes.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been looking forward to this ever since the E3 announcement last year. It looks fantastic. Sad to hear that the controls aren't up to snuff, tho... Maybe they've fixed it?

Sangheili91 on
  • TiberiusTiberius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been looking forward to ModNation Racers for a long time now; I'm hooked on LittleBigPlanet, and it seems like this will allow me to build the kind of vehicles and tracks that I could never quite pull off in LBP!

The video that GameSpot has of the guys that created Infamous is probably the best one I've seen; it really shows you how big the track editor actually is. It is WAY deeper than I originally thought it would be; they manage to build an entire Empire City themed track, complete with the Ray Sphere blast crater from Infamous:

http://www.gamespot.com/showcases/modnationracer?sid=6258969

Awesome!

Tiberius on
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm really just getting Modnation Racers for the track making. I'm not even sure I would race very much, because I'd be too busy creating more tracks. I do hope the racing turns out alright at least, it would be sad to have such an amazing creation tool shackled to a crappy racer.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
    edited April 2010
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I'm really just getting Modnation Racers for the track making. I'm not even sure I would race very much, because I'd be too busy creating more tracks. I do hope the racing turns out alright at least, it would be sad to have such an amazing creation tool shackled to a crappy racer.

Well, your going to be racing a little. When you race you unlock toys to use in the various mod modes.

Merchades eh? I want to do one with that classic body type and a a big Merch face taking up the hood. Ya, that could work.

Beltaine: You have a default frame that you 'snap' bodies on to. They range from classic cars to wacky things like rocketships. Then you paint and sticker. I think Body, tires, stearing wheel, seat, engine are the parts you can swap out. The rest is color and decals.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited April 2010
    I think I may pick this one up.

Now to decide which pre-order goodie I want.

Is Best Buy doing their usual in-store pre-order where you can get the code in a box for like $5?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Dunno, but Best Buy gets Nathan Drake and his Jeep plus a mystery character. All pre-orders are now getting Sackboy. Gamestop get Kratos, and Amazon get Ratchet&Clank.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey. There's a thread for this. I was gonna make one, but the search function saved me the effort.

My understanding of how the preorders will work is this:

Gamestop: Kratos + Sackboy + 1 of 4 Mystery Karts
    Amazon: Ratchet & Clank + Sackboy + 1 of 4 Mystery Karts
    Best Buy: Nate Drake + Sackboy + 1 of 4 Mystery Karts

So basically no matter where you preorder from, you are getting 3 bonus karts.

I just need to figure out how to get all 3 of the Sony exclusive characters. I work at Gamestop so I'll be making my actual purchase there, naturally. But I know I would be unhappy if I don't have the other characters. So I need to devise a scheme.

Also:

TOTALLY EXCITED FOR THIS GAME!

You can go ahead and add me to the list if you want, cause this will be a day 1 purchase for sure. PSN ID is Lucascraft same as my forum name.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    Also, for the guy that was asking about car customization on the previous page, here's a kick-ass new video that was just posted today on Gamespot that's all about the kart customization. After watching this video, I'm totally psyched.

http://www.gamespot.com/showcases/modnationracer?sid=6260591&overridePid=960619

If there's a way to hotlink videos from Gamespot, would someone mind telling me how? All I can get is a url to the site. It would be cool if I could get the actual video to display in my post.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft: I hope you don't mind me snagging your pre-order beakdown for the OP.

Edit: Also if you want to be added to the Racer list please let me know.

Any suggestions for a PA Racing Team name?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited April 2010
    Don't mind at all that you swiped the pre-order breakdown. And yeah, you can add me to the racer list.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Don't mind at all that you swiped the pre-order breakdown. And yeah, you can add me to the racer list.

PSN name?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited April 2010
    PSN ID is Lucascraft.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    I don't know from the beta players, but after I unlock some stuff in the main game I've got a few themes I want to try for racetracks.

One I've been pondering I think I'll call Hydrophobia. From the demo video I saw him layer water over the track itself. Kinda ditch filled with water. I'm going to try and make wide sections with a 'flooded' theme to them and loads of small river jumps. Maybe a big ditch with launch pads to get out of the water. Etc.

I wonder if you can do tunnels? Or underground segments? Or is there a limit to air-time in jumps?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited April 2010
    You can do underground segments and tunnels. If you want like, a highway tunnel like the Empire City/inFamous track, that's doable. You can also just make a giant mountain and have the track wind it's way up and through it.

I didn't play with the water segments that much, but I know you can fill a section with water, and have the track at least dip into part of it, sort of like the Beach levels in Mario Kart. Whether you can have whole sections of the track submerged in water and have the karts go deep, I don't know. It'll either let you, or return an error telling you to lower the water level so the track is visible again.

El Fantastico on

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    question - does this game support local multiplayer? i can't find anywhere where it says it does or doesnt

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited April 2010
    Wikipedia says yes.

4 offline multiplayer.

2 online local multiplayer, up to 12.

El Fantastico on

edited April 2010
    well i think i will be picking this up for a game that myself and my gf can enjoy, psn id is thekooleagle, will most likely be purchasing this weekend

TheKoolEagle on
    edited April 2010
    It isn't out until May 25. You have a ways to go. Like almost a month (a little less).

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    It isn't out until May 25. You have a ways to go. Like almost a month (a little less).

ah. read the release date incorrectly, i thought it came out last sunday haha

TheKoolEagle on
    edited April 2010
    You know, the various preorder bonuses are all really cool, but I've already started thinking about all the other Sony exlusives that would make great Kart racing characters.

I would like to see the following as downloadable content:

-- Snake (MGS4)
    -- Ocelot (MGS4)
    -- Otacon (MGS4)
    -- Helgast Soldier (Killzone)
    -- Cole (inFamous)
    -- Sgt. Hale (Resistance)
    -- Chimera Soldier (Resistance)

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010

ah. read the release date incorrectly, i thought it came out last sunday haha

For once, I'm glad I'm in the UK, what with getting a 4 day headstart. By the time you guys on the other side of the pond get it, I should have a few mods and karts published. :)

(I really hope there's a kart body that would make a good Fruit Fucker base...)

BlitzAce1981 on
  • TiberiusTiberius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, for the guy that was asking about car customization on the previous page, here's a kick-ass new video that was just posted today on Gamespot that's all about the kart customization. After watching this video, I'm totally psyched.

http://www.gamespot.com/showcases/modnationracer?sid=6260591&overridePid=960619

If there's a way to hotlink videos from Gamespot, would someone mind telling me how? All I can get is a url to the site. It would be cool if I could get the actual video to display in my post.

Wow - that video is AWESOME! I love the part about the stickers - that's WAY more in-depth than what you can do with stickers in LittleBigPlanet. Transparancies and embossing? I love the part where they turn the transparancy all the way up on the one sticker so it's invisible, but also put that embossing this way up, so instead of a sticker, it looks like an outline that's engraved into the hood of the car. I can definitely do some stuff with that!

Tiberius on